1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Should Philip Rivers be BENCHED ?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    That was two games in a row where Rivers looked horrible.

The passes and especially the INT to a fat boy was flat out hideous. :tdown:

If Rivers struggles in Green Bay, he needs to be benched. :icon_eek:

What do you think?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,170 / 0 / -0
    It's not going to happen. That's AJ's boy out there just like Norv and Ted.

We're stuck with it so let's hope it gets turned around.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Electric Chair

Electric Chair New Member

Ratings:
    +579 / 0 / -0
    What happened to the "he had me at hello, I am the prophet, he is the chosen one" Trumpet Man that we all knew before?

For Volek? No thanks. No chance we bench him.

• Like Like x 2
  4. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    That would be about the dumbest thing possible. You take your lumps with a young QB. Norv needs to get him better prepared where he has a better feeling about what is going on and not that lost look on his face. If he makes quicker decisions, better decisions, this offense will start looking much better very quickly.

When a QB is playing poorly he can make the entire offense look bad. When he picks it up, he can make them all look better.

These two games coming off his rough end to last season is not making me very comfortable though.

BTW, didn't gawd pick him and didn't some prophet say he would lead us to the promised land? You don't seem as sure about yourself and AJ's genius. AJ is in for some serious fire if Norv/Cottrell screw up this one.

5. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820 / 0 / -0

:icon_rofl:

6. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    I had nightmares and almost popped a testicle on the pass Rivers threw to a fatboy. It was eerily reminiscent of the INT Brees threw to another fatboy while looking him straight in the navel.

Rivers has hit a wall - the sophomore jinx.

What I saw last night and in the Bears game was extremely disturbing.

The play of the QB starters spot has gone completely to ****.

If Rivers struggles in Green Bay, Uncle Norv has to get the hook out and sit Rivers' asss down so he can reassess his intentions on the football field.

7. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820 / 0 / -0
    Dude, I can't believe you have betrayed your boy like that. :no:

8. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    No need to be for any drama. A simple benching to get his attention will do. The dude has skills but needs to have his **** shaken up and a benching will do just that.

Volek is the **** and I would have zero qualms seeing him start or come in for relief duty while Rivers ponders his next contract.

9. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    :rolleyes: :icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    It is not betrayal. The dude needs to get his melon screwed on right and to act stupid as though everything is hunky dory is bullshiit.

If I would be saying Rivers is a piece of **** and run his asss out of town on a mule, I consider that betrayal, like I did to Drew Brees. :abq2:

11. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan Unhappy Camper

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    You MUST be the biggest hypocrite in the world to post this T-Bone after all the b.s. deifying of Rivers you've done over the past two seasons. Even I wouldn't suggest benching him.

Farkin amazing.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    That busted play may have been Uncle Norv getting cute.

No one has mentioned the new pirouettes that Rivers is doing like a ballerina now. Rivers never did any 360 spins before and those are designed plays.

Uncle Norv just got Rivers spun out of control and that is not a good thing when Rivers is wound up tighter than a top.

That is what I am seeing.

Maybe that busted play you mentioned is part of a larger problem such as throwing too much at Rivers to absorb? That is what I am sensing.

13. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464 / 0 / -0
    If you all want to bench him, thats fine.

But why not run the ball on the 3rd and 1 that went for a touchdown the other way ?

Horrible call. The entire pats defense was all at the line of scrimmage trying to shut down what they expected would be a run.

• Like Like x 1
  14. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851 / 0 / -0
    I'm still trying to figure out if Trumpie really means what he posted to start this thread, or if he's trying to pull a fast one. :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  15. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321 / 0 / -0
    **** HAPPENS...

Dolphins 34, Chargers 13
    Jan. 16, 1983

The game pitted the Chargers' top-ranked offense against the Dolphins' top-ranked defense. It turns out Air Coryell was no match for Miami. The Dolphins led 27-0 midway through the second quarter and never looked back. Chargers quarterback Dan Fouts threw five interceptions and completed just 15-of-34 passes for 191 yards.

16. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851 / 0 / -0
    Who was the QB on our 4 TD drives this year?

17. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan Unhappy Camper

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Jest visitin'... :flag:

18. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    Putting ones head under the sand when the play of the QB is horrific right now is maybe something you would like to see instead?

Give Rivers a chance and do not give up the faith blah blah blah.

I said to bench his *** to get his attention and that is equal to a death sentence in some of your minds and stabbing the dude in the back.

Try growing up and stop acting all the part of the drama queens (not only you).

The play from the QB spot is terrible right now. There is no way to sugar coat it and for me to say anything otherwise is flat out ignorant.

19. OverVolt

OverVolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Benched...I don't know, Rivers doesn't have the same mental toughness Brees had...but he has more physical skill.

No it's a few more games away, Rivers starts the first 8.
    This is just as much on our WR's as it is Rivers...a bunch of pretenders at WR...we have one outstanding WR, and that's Gates...it's just to bad he's also our TE.
    Fact is Jackson is to big and slow, can't get seperation because he can't get in and out of his breaks fast enough. Davis may be the answer, but as a rookie, he's still needs allot of work.
    Then again, our running game is non-existent, and we all know if the running game stinks, the passing game suffers...or vice-a-versa.
    Nope, Rivers is only part of the problem...based on your thoughts on Brees, and now Rivers, what will you do when Volek fails? Because if the rest of this team doesn't pick it up, and backup QB will fair no better.
    Fact is, and I've said this before, "it takes a team to make a great QB, but a great QB can't make a team."

Stay with Rivers.

20. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321 / 0 / -0
    yup, shoudda benched Fouts and fired Coryell...:lol:

21. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    Hay - I did not say Rivers was a POS :icon_evil: and neither should you. You make me mad when you say that about the "Chosen One" :icon_evil:

22. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321 / 0 / -0
    you're right Fouts threw 5, Rivers only threw 2...:lol:

23. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,011 / 1 / -0
    Put down the crack pipes you farging nutcases!

Rivers is 15-4 as a starter and you want to sit him for Billy Volek? :no:

just :no:

• Like Like x 1
  24. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    Oh, I am dead serious and was thinking to myself after the game last night that if Rivers struggles in Green Bay and does not nut up by halftime, I am grabbing Volek's *** and handing him the keys to the Ferrari (or is it Edsel) and let him go zoom zoom.

Rivers can mentally handle a benching and I think it would make him even more fired up to unleash his beast. :yes: ... it worked for Brees !!!