1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Should Philip Rivers be BENCHED ?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    So you are on record as saying the Texans game and if Rivers is THE problem whereas, I am saying he has 3 quarters left before the fan hammer comes down. Got it. :tup:

The WEEK 6 TRADING deadline is approaching and check this out. I would not mind getting this dude to scare defenses.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

FITZGERALD EYEBALLING ARIZONA EXIT?

Only two regular-season games into the Ken Whisenhunt era, rumors already are flying receiver Larry Fitzgerald is looking to leave the Cardinals when his rookie contract ends.

Fitzgerald, as the rumor goes, is not a big fan of Whisenhunt's run-based offense, and for good reason. Fitzgerald currently is averaging only five catches and 53.5 yards per game, which puts him on pace for 80 receptions and 856 receiving yards for the season. He currently has no receiving touchdowns in 2007.

There's no indication that Fitzgerald, the No. 3 overall pick in the 2004 draft, plans to try to force his way out prematurely. Based on the escalators in his rookie contract, there was speculation when it was signed that the Cardinals would likely have to extend the deal after four seasons. Since this is Fitzgerald's fourth season, and given that it's hard to justify two highly-paid wideouts (Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin) if the offense doesn't take full advantage of both of their skills, it could be time for the Cardinals to think about trading Fitzgerald.

One potential destination would be Minnesota, given that Fitzgerald is a native of Minneapolis and worked as a ball boy during the days of Cris Carter and Randy Moss. Though plenty of folks are murmuring about the Vikes possibly sniffing around Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb, we think it makes more sense for the Vikes try to bring Fitzgerald home.

Especially if the team wants to sell out the Metrodome on a regular basis.
  2. dad2lna

dad2lna BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I wish there was only one finger to point but there isnt. The only way you could use that one finger to lay blame is to put the whole organization in a box and point at it. How about we discuss benching the o line and LT and the whole defense and dont forget we need to get new coaches. I hate Dion Sanders but he but it best it is just week 2 the chargers a 1-1 there is a whole season to go. That is true and there will be crap games it happens expecially when you have a all new coaching staff. They are still learning to work the system it takes time. The MLB spot is not as well filled as last year this causes holes everywhere our D needs to step up and LT needs to knock the funk and get after it and he will. As far as rivers he will not be benched nor should he.He is capible and he will get it done his play book is large give him a little time.
  3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    Consider this scenario.

We are 1-1 presently.

Assumptions:

*We lose to GB, KC and Denver and we are now 1-4.

*We win against the Raiders (barely in an ugly INT filled game) and we are 2-4 going into the BYE or worse, we lose and are 1-5.

Do you still hold to your conviction to wait and see how the Texans game goes after the BYE?
  4. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings Received:
    +820 / 22 / -1
    No, because at that point we would be five games in and 1-4. RIGHT NOW, TODAY, we are 1-1, one game behind a team that has had to scramble to beat Buffalo and Oakland. It just looks silly panicking two weeks in.
  5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    No one is saying to bench Rivers now except Concudan who assumes I want that now. leisure and MTL want Volek over Rivers no matter what.

What I am saying (not panicking either) is if Rivers has a horrific first half against Green Bay and we are scoreless again, get Volek in the game. Better it happen to Rivers early versus later because the dudes game is off right now.

If Volek wins the game, great. Rivers still starts the next game (KC here) but if he falters, Volek comes into the game and let the chips fall where they may.

I do not see that as panic but that is me.
  6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,640 / 38 / -8
    I have read. maybe if you didnt try and sensationalize everything you post your message would be clear.

You message you are sending now is thus:

1) Bench everyone on the team because you are a spineless fair weather fan.

2) You cannot maintain a consistent position on anything.

3) You want to deflect the blame from yourself to others, again because you are spineless and cant back anything you post.

4) You think that because you consider yourself some icon, or famous poster that everyone should think your ****** football takes are worth something...

So nut up and be a fan Boom_trumpet, or continue to flip flop. Your choice. Just dont try and sell it to me like your the end all, be all of Charger backers, because your a spineless fair weather fan.

List of Trumpies back stabbed victims:
    LT
    Rivers
    AJ

Who is next?
  7. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +321 / 0 / -0
    agree - Fitz is special... and he doesn't take plays off, even in preseason... am really surprised Leinart isn't getting him the ball...

edit: MTL's boy is playing this weekend...

Sat. 09/22/2007 – #21 Kentucky (3-0, 146/64) at #26 Arkansas (1-1, 84/67) - 3:00 pm PST ESPN2 – Anyone like a shootout… while you’re killing some time, you may want to check out the “gunslinger” at Kentucky…
  8. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    I went BOING when I read that this dude might become available. Momma raised no dummies and this boy is indeed a freak that I would not moan over the stab because of a lack of BEEF.
  9. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings Received:
    +886 / 0 / -0
    If Fitz were to become available, and AJ did not make a serious... serious run at him... he might wake up next to a severed horse head... complements of Uncle Sal. :icon_twisted:
  10. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings Received:
    +851 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure I believe that PFT claptrap about Fitzgerald.

Leinart has completed 37 passes in two games so far, and 21 of those have been to his top 3 WR.

Fitzgerald has 10 receptions in two games. That extrapolates to 80 catches this season, more than what he got last year under Denny Green.

Fitzgerald wanting out of Arizona because of "Whisenhunt's run-based offense" is BS.

Run-based offense? Whisenhunt, if he calls the plays, has had Leinart attempt 65 passes already, or about 32 per game. That comes out to over 500 passes for the season. Compare that to 60 rushes in two games, or 30 per game.

How is that run-based? It looks like Whisenhunt is running a more balanced offense, equally running and throwing the ball. The issue is that Leinart's only been completing 57% of his passes. So, only 37 passes completed out of 65 thrown.

If that stuff is indeed true, maybe Fitzgerald would be happier in St. Louis, where he could replace Isaac Bruce, who is in his 14th season, and where the Rams throw it 40+ times a game.
  11. Buttmunch

Buttmunch New Member

Ratings Received:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Thanks to having Fitz on my fantasy team, I've had to endure watching the Cards play. Last year it was fun, this year it is not. All I can say is that Fitz isn't exactly getting open all of the time. The 49ers shut him down, and whenever Leinart was looking his way, Fitz had zero separation (i.e...not even a small window to throw at). Honestly, I think it's just Leinart. The guy has looked terrible...partly because he has no protection and also because he doesn't seem to be in rythm ala Rivers. Not sure if it's his setup or not, but some of his passes have been atrocious. Both he and Rivers need to watch the movie "how Stella got her groove back" and see if they can learn something.

As for trading picks to get Fitz.......absofreakinglutely. Regardless of what people say about our WR's being ok, F that. If you have a legitimate chance at getting a guy like Fitz, you do it.
  12. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    His performance on Sunday may determine if Rivers is benched or not. It may not be fair because the Bears' and Packers' defenses are among the league's best.
  13. Drunk

Drunk Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +178 / 1 / -0
    Who?
  14. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Good God, is this thread STILL going? Rivers isn't getting benched. Deal with it.
  15. Drunk

Drunk Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +178 / 1 / -0
    No it wont at all. His status isnt even in question. Except by delusional fans maybe.
  16. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Just watching NFL Live on ESPN and they mentioned that Rivers' passer rating has gone down each month since he's been a starter. I knew he struggled late in the year last year but never realized that.
  17. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    leisure and Conc but that was soooo yesterday. They are over it. :icon_sad:
  18. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    I have and that is why I said fans want to mitigate this to a ONE LOSS/sour grapes and bandwagon jumping/flip flopping and just about any other stupid fuc-king kiddie phrase you can think of.

I was not making **** up when I said Rivers may need to be benched soon if he does not turn it around.

For the record, only TWO posters want Rivers benched now and that is leisure and MTL.

The next group is eyeing Green Bay as hammer time. The next group is eyeing the BYE and the last group will not bench the QB whatsoever.

I just re-watched the first half of the Bears game just to watch Shane Olivea and the O-line play. At 6:00 in the 1st quarter, watch the inside speed move Olivea wiffs on - jesus. The dude did a complete 360 and looked like an idiot. It happens again before halftime. Hardwick was blocking air on a couple of up the middle stunts and blew a line protection call where Rivers got creamed before halftime. Even my boy McNeill lost containment on his man for a sack.

A.J. needs to get us some more BEEF.
  19. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings Received:
    +851 / 0 / -0
    The Oklahoma University entire OL comes to mind...... :yes:

Their left tackle makes McNeil look like a pipsqueak! :icon_eek:

Dude's 6' 8" 353 lbs.
  20. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    That is the size I am talking about and if he can run around a 5.0 40 I am getting wood.

Wingspan at Right tackle is MANDATORY and so is fleet feet and a bad attitude. I do not want fat slobs who can not move their lard asses. I am tired of seeing mollasses and slow motion rim jobs by the fatboys society.
  21. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings Received:
    +851 / 0 / -0
    You should have seen him tonight. He fuggin' pancaked fucquers all over the place after getting to the second level.

He'll be a Top 10 draft pick when he hits the NFL.
  22. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    Nope and never forget it. :icon_twisted:
  23. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20070920-9999-1s20chargers.html

Rivers slipping?

Philip Rivers is 15-4 as a starter, but there has been a significant decline in his statistical production over the past nine games. A look:

First 10 starts (8-2)
    ATT. COMP.YARDSTD INT. RATING
    300 201 2,307 15 5 99.7
    Passer rating was second only to Peyton Manning.

Last nine starts (7-2)
    ATT. COMP. YARDS TD INT. RATING
    253 138 1,680 9 8 73.9
    Passer rating 19th among 23 QBs with at least 200 att.
  24. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    Triple reverse psychology waited until many pages had gone by and your lack of morning energy response timing just got yanked into posting what you just did...touche'...bent again. :yes:

Do not pissoff the prophet. :icon_evil:
  25. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    The last 9 games Rivers has a Passer rating 19th among 23 QBs with at least 200 att.

And fans want to tell me it is a one game thing as to why I am not happy can now stfu........

There are reasons and results as my old boss use to tell me and then he asked me, "what do you think I want?" :yes:

31 TDs by LT went a long ways to prop up Rivers. Now, teams are doing what they did to Brees and that is stacking the box and forcing the arm and WR's to beat you.
  26. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +464 / 0 / -0
    The path of the Chosen One is not a straight line, but rather a journey ! :bolt:

In his last 9 starts, what happened to his WR corp ?

Coincidence ? I wonder. :bolt:
  27. Electric Chair

Electric Chair New Member

Ratings Received:
    +579 / 0 / -0
    They drafted one in the first round?