1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Should we trade some players?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Oct 28, 2012.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,483 / 19 / -4
    As part of my "tis time to part" thread, I'm wondering if the Chargers should do what many MLB teams do when they're in a rebuilding mode and trade useful pieces away. Now disclaimer; no the Chargers aren't out of it, no the Chargers still have a chance to get to the playoffs and could conceivably be in a tie for first place come the end of the week. This team could turn it around.

Having said all that I have little faith that the team can do such right now and see a team that might end up at around .500 especially if they have another good late November/December which they inexplicably have done over the last few years.

So who do we have that we could trade? Garay has been a healthy scratch most of the year and the team seems happy with Franklin/Thomas. We could maybe see to trading Martin who could have real value even though he's a free agent at the end of the year; Reyes looks fantastic. Would anyone want or be willing to take Cason/Jammer/Bigby? I'm not wildly thrilled about the depth behind them but we might as well see if the young rookies can play. Who on earth could we trade on the offensive side?

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,559 / 7 / -2
    Protect Gates, Rivers, M80, Mathews, Weddle, Ingram, Butler, Scifi, Novak

All else expendable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,599 / 48 / -6
    Just the one that can't play very good.

4. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    Bold are all worthless, and some are about to be FAs, so there's no reason to think we'd be able to trade them.

I'd take Gates and Floyd off of that list and add Mike Harris. He looks like the answer at RT. I don't think we'd get anything for the fumbling wonder. I'd be loathe to see Liuget or Reyes traded, there's a lot of promise there. I think one other player who should be on that list would be Wright. I know that he's not an elite player, but I think his potential is more valuable than anything we'd likely get for him.

I really like our front 7. I know that the Browns aren't a great offense, but they have an elite RB and a good offensive line, and our front seven had some good stops.

When you're rebuilding, you don't get rid of your young, talented players, you get rid of your old ones. I know that Gates and Floyd are fan favorites, but Brown is waiting in the wings, and Gates' career has obviously been ruined by Jeff Fisher. I don't know what we'd likely be able to get for them, but I'd take a 3rd for either of them in a heartbeat.

5. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,879 / 48 / -26
    Windt......... everyone needs a good long snapper. ;)

6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,230 / 37 / -21
    Players who might have some value to someone else who I wouldn't mind seeing traded...

Shaun Phillips
    Quentin Jammer
    Antoine Cason
    Takeo Spikes - to a playoff contender
    Jeromey Clary - for chicken ****, whatever gets his contract out of here.
    Randy McMichael
    Dante Rosario

I don't care if we're talking about stocking up 6s and 7s, if we get an offer for any of these players we should take it because none of them are coming back next year. And yes if the right offer came about I would consider trading Gates as well, maybe two 2nds or a 1st.

7. Fouts

Fouts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +161 / 3 / -0
    As emotional as we all are, we need to ride this season out, until we are mathmatically out of the playoffs, that includes Norv n AJ. The buffoon Dean Spanos has made our bed, and we are going to have to sleep in it. If we can bring in trades to help us (lol) that can help sure (yeah right). No need for fire sale, or more like blue light special with our roster quite yet.

8. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    Gates is worth a 3rd, max.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    The goal isn't to get to the playoffs. The goal is to win a SB. Teams with no O-line don't win the SB. Teams with no CBs don't win the SB. The team's best opportunity to win the SB in the near future is to suck as badly as possible to enable the greatest degree of flexibility in the draft. At this point, a win is a loss for the long-term good of this team.

10. Fouts

Fouts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +161 / 3 / -0
    What a shortcut to thinking.

I hate to nearly quote AJ, but all we need to do is get in playoffs, you never know. Last year Tom Coughlin was nearly ran out of town, now he is in the HOF discussion. Is this wishful thinking? Yea, but so goes being a Chargers fan.

11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,559 / 7 / -2
    We can't even beat Cleveland.

Read that sentence again. Now read it again. It is what it is. We are dead in the water. There's no better time than now for change to begin.

12. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,230 / 37 / -21
    Thats your opinion. The opinion of someone who seems to think a spread offense would work in the NFL. And I might remind you that as a receiver he A) Needs to be in the game plan. B) Needs to have the QB stay upright to deliver the ball. C) The ball to actually be delivered on time and accurate. I think NFL teams are smart enough to realize Gates' lack of numbers are not all his fault.

Teams I think that would consider giving more than a 3rd....Giants, Patriots, Texans, Redskins, Seahawks, and Bears. All are either extremely weak at TE or in the Pariots case love to stockpile them. The Texans in particular could be given a gigantic boost by a weapon opposite Andre Johnson. And the Seahawks need more fire power.

13. Fouts

Fouts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +161 / 3 / -0
    "On any given Sunday"

hmmmmm wonder where that phrase came from... ;-)

14. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    We don't have anyone worth a crap to get higher than a 3rd.

15. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 4 / -0
    We can't even beat Cleveland

16. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +452 / 2 / -1
    Feel like Vessuvius getting boo'd off stage and yelling "Go back to Cleveland, Cleveland!" (See the movie "The Rocker")...

• Like Like x 1
  17. Fouts

Fouts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +161 / 3 / -0
    Thanks once again for reminding me why fans should not be GM's etc.

Am I happy, of course not, but as grim as it looks we are still in it. Gueax Saints! :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 4 / -0
    To be fair, I don't think nor would I ever claim to be able to be a GM

19. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,483 / 19 / -4
    Are any of our players worth anything? last time we traded a player that I remember was in 2005 Fonoti for like a seventh rounder. Clary I'd happily trade for any kind of day 3 pick but the question of who would replace him? I discussed this with Derek Togerson from NBC he seems to suggest the problem is a question of who would replace him. Harris maybe but then who becomes the swing tackle? Look I wanna get rid of Clary but I want to ensure we have some kind of body to throw in regardless. I can't imagine trading Gates it would look horrible to the community even if he's struggling. Phillips could be traded out for a decent pick but who is in dire enough straights and is competing for a spot who could trade a higher pick for him? Garay I think has the best potential returnbecause good NTs are always needed.

20. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +430 / 8 / -0
    On the offense: (Starters)
    Kinda wish we still had Tolzien.
    I'd dump PR. Dude doesn't have "it" anymore.
    I'd keep Mathews. His fumbling problems can be fixed
    with adequate coaching...he doesn't have that right now.
    I'd dump all receivers not named Floyd or Brown.
    I'd keep Clary....haha...just kidding, I'd punt him before I could finish this sent...
    I'd keep McClain...dump the rest of the backfield besides RM.

On the defense: (Starters)
    I'd keep Ingram, Butler, Liuget, Reyes, Weddle.
    I'd ship the rest.

Coaching: (All)
    I'd keep Pagano, Bisaccia, Joiner, and Ramsdell.
    Toss the rest.

I'd keep AJ (frozen in carbonite).

So yeah, take a chill-pill, we got binders of players
    to choose from in the 2013 NFL Draft.

21. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82 / 1 / -0
    i hate that we are at here. Talking about trades. The ****** thing is we have some decend talent on this team and now we have to start over. Not by trades, not by the draft, but at the top! As much as I have hated AJ's moves, at the same time, he has pulled his weight. Who would we replace him with? And who would do better? Rivers has been so mediocre but who would be better right now? The one thing that this orgination has forgot is the line! Draft some big boys for crying out loud! Helloooo...... when you have a pocket QB you might want to protect him!

22. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +291 / 1 / -0
    Nice job slipping the binders comment in! :roflmao: And I agree with keeping McClain too. RM and McClain maybe the LT and Lorenzo of the future.

23. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,879 / 48 / -26
    I wouldn't really call Dean Spanos a "player", but I'd be open to trade offers.

24. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    Are you mental? When have I ever said the bold?

Also, the Texans have a TE, Owen Daniels, who has 4 TDs and 416 yds on 33 receptions through 7 games. Bill Belicheck isn't going to give up a 2nd or a 1st for what would be his THIRD STRING TE. The Giants have seen great production from Martellus Bennett 3/334/29 over 5 games.

Gates might be worth a 3rd to the other teams you mentioned, but if all Brandon Marshall was worth to the Bears was 2 3rds, what makes you think Gates, who has clearly lost all of his deep speed and now has average catching ability, will get a 1st or 2nd?

25. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,230 / 37 / -21
    I roll my eyes at anyone who suggests Chip Kelly would be a decent NFL HC. Thats a mistake another team can make, I'll be disguested if we do.

Owen Daniels is a mediocre TE, Gates is a huge upgrade, and a team like Houston who loves to run the ball would benefit from more 2 TE sets if they had the ability. Adding Gates to that offense would be a brilliant move.

Gates would be the Pats #2 TE, Hernandez hasn't touched the field this year, and after trying to sign guys like Winslow what on earth makes you think they wouldn't be game for Gates? Are they likely? Probably not knowing how they covet draft picks...would they be even more unstoppable? Yes.

Brandon Marshall's value I might accept for Gates. But Gates has none of the baggage that Marshall has, he comes cheaper, and at a more valuable position in today's NFL that is moving towards the versatility of having a TE/WR like Gates.

And here again is the problem, like all fans who read box scores you think Gates is the problem with Gates. I disagree entirely, I think the problem is the entire process that leads up to the point where Gates is supposed to get the ball.

26. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    I'm sorry, when did I ever say a word about Chip Kelly?

Completely inaccurate. Gates used to dominate DBs with his size and LBs with his speed/agility. He used to attack the football and if he put his hands on it he was coming away with it. He used to be able to jump for the ball and use his body to shield the defender out of the play. He doesn't do any of those things anymore.

27. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886 / 0 / -0
    Denver is going to walk away with the division title at the week 11 or 12 mark. Anyone hoping for a Chargers resurgence isn't understanding what they are watching on the field or off it for that matter. This organization is in full meltdown. AJ is handing dean his HC replacement options in an effort to try and save his job. It might actually work too. Norv should be fired right now after that showing in Cleveland. Don't trade any players. Firing Norv will send the right message that there will be some accountability. But ultimately that will all be stripped away when AJ is allowed to return as long as he can deliver Jon Gruden. I think it's a mistake but Spanos is full of those so what's one more?

28. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,599 / 48 / -6
    Royal and Meachem shouldn't even be required to show up for games, even when they do they don't.