1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Smart draft path to become playoff contenders

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by PRiversMVP619, Mar 26, 2012.

1. PRiversMVP619

PRiversMVP619 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +5 / 1 / -0
    Okay so now that the heaviest stage of FA is over we know what we have on our roster for the most part and what we can focus on in this years draft, despite much skepticism I think everybody should acknowledge that AJ Smith has his thinking cap on (what took so long!!) We answered most questions about the O-line (still needs to be addressed as far as depth goes) and we added some youth and speed to our WR corps plus a great addition to our return game. We finally added a complimentary REAL fullback who is exceptional in pass protection and last but not least we did add some depth in our Defense. SO WHAT DO WE DO NOW!?! Heres my prediction for how the San Diego Chargers transform from the leagues WORST 3rd down defense to one of the premiere defensive bullies.

Here is a quote from AJ Smith addressing questions during a phone conference to season ticket holders:
    "By the end, Smith used the 2009 Saints as a path he hopes the Chargers will have walked.
    After an 8-8 season, they made defense a priority, swapping coordinators and adding pieces such as safety Darren Sharper. They forced a league-high 39 turnovers, went 13-3 and won a Super Bowl clinched on an interception."​

So what does that mean, the evil mastermind is in the lab with a pen and a pad, we used FA to address our biggest Offensive needs which helps the team focus primarily on Defense for the entire draft (minus a backup RB to help give Mathews a breather)

Smith acknowledges the Saints recipe that took them from 8-8 to Superbowl Champions and so far hes followed through to the tee, whats left is for us to focus entirely on Defense and heres how I think we will do it

The Chargers have the 18th pick in the first round in the draft and unfortunately I strongly believe that all top pass rushers will be gone before we have a shot at it, so the options we have are to move up and give our draft picks in return (most likely 2nd round) or be smart and move down. The Chargers biggest problem is the depth so we are in no position to be giving away draft picks. The Chargers two biggest concerns on Defense are the pass rush and a SS to compliment the rising star Eric Weddle and since Ingram, Perry, and Upshaw will most likely be gone I say we take the best player at SS, Mark Barron. An exceptional SS who would be an immediate starter, Barron and Weddle together with a young developing secondary could me a disruptive group under the radar and I like our chances so I say we instead except the situation we are in and trade down spots to a team (say the Houston Texans at No. 26) and in return receive their 2nd round pick, why not? SS is not a position that goes early and all teams before number 26 are not looking for a SS so its safe to say we can still land him there and in return receive another 2nd rounder to help bring in more talent and add some premiere depth. With two-second round draft picks we can devote both picks to DE & OLB, use the 3rd round pick on Oregons Lamichael James or SDSU's very own Ronny Hillman, and the 4th round going down can be used to add some depth on the O-line and more help on the Defense.

This is just the smartest route in my mind, no need to waste draft picks on Offensive weapons, I don't care if VJ and Tolbert are gone, I actually do not mind letting go players who care about themselves more than the TEAM, and I think we filled their spots quite nicely. Our Offense is still Top-5 in the NFL and its about time we get a mean nasty bully of a Defense, LETS MAKE IT HAPPEN AJ!!!
  2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    I love the Idea of Barron but honestly you never know what the draft may lead to

Realistically it could go like this

1. Luck
    2.Griffen
    3.Kalil
    4.Tennehill
    5.Richardson
    6.Blackmon
    7.Claiborne
    8.Floyd
    9.Cox
    10.Reiff
    11.Decastro
    12.Ingram
    13.Martin
    14.Brockers
    15.Upshaw
    16.Keuchly
    17.Gilmore
    18. leaving us options with Barron,Perry,Brockers,Mercilus, etc. not saying there will be that big of a run on offensive players in the first 6 picks but all those picks filled up huge team needs. as long as we grab a top rated defensive player I'll be happy

if I had it my way I'd take a defensive player in the first 5 rounds cut take 2 olb, ss, de,nt, and then cut Laboy and English
    get these 2 pass rushers ready incase we cant bring back Phillips and or Barnes
  3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,154 / 37 / -21
    You have Brockers going at 14 actually.

This looks pretty realistic to me, but as always 1 or 2 good trades will shuffle the entire deck.
  4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Barron at 18 is a fool's choice.
  5. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Barron is one of two prospects that I'll fully eat crow if they prove me wrong, but I really don't see how in God's name either is getting a 1st round grade - save for the fact that they're part of weak draft classes at their respective positions (and that's not a worthy excuse for selecting a lesser prospect).

Barron's scheme limited - someone feel free to produce even a YouTube highlight reel where he effectively covers a TE for more than than a 5 yard span (it's because given Alabama's scheme you won't find it; Barron was brought strictly into the box on passing downs and Robert Lester and Jarrick Williams were the deep-lying safety and the guy covering TE's past the flats). Effectively he wasn't even the best safety on his college team. And the biggest issue I have is that his hips are just too stiff every time I watch him - yes, the man can deliver a big hit and can pick off a poorly thrown ball (these should be standard expectations for ANY DB in the NFL, I don't see where this makes him special), but he'll get absolutely abused by athletic TE's like Gronkowski, Hernandez, and dear lord even Tony freakin' Moeaki. And then there's the injury red-flags, it's not one specific one its that this guy seems to almost always be playing hurt (yes, the fact that he'll play through injuries is refreshing but the fact that he seems to constantly be nicked up is a huge cause for concern particularly given our training staff's ineptitude).

If we target Barron we damn well better do what AJ never does and trade back first. There is not a single facet of Barron's game that's elite or has an elite ceiling - and you simply don't draft players without elite ceilings in the 1st round (that's how you get into the boat we've been in the for the past several years with no play-makers because we're constantly reaching for players to fill needs rather than just adding the most talented player available to us in the money round). What we have with this safety class is a repeat of 2009, where the best safety in the class is likely a CB-convert (Kirkpatrick) who even then has his shortcomings at the position, and the rest of the class (the Louis Delmas', Patrick Chung's, and William Moore's of this class) are all solid-but-overhyped prospects without the ceiling to merit 1st round consideration (hence why teams weren't falling over themselves to select them until the 2nd round).
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,154 / 37 / -21
    Barron would be huge a dissapointment at 18, but its such an "AJ pick" I'm already mentally prepared to hear Goodell say his name.
  7. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    I was enjoying reading the optimism in the OP until I got to Barron and died. One thing you're missing from your comparison is that the Chargers, unlike the 2009 Saints, haven't added any playmakers to their defense in FA.

Our draft selections may be (in the early rounds) wholly defensive, but let's hold off on saying Smitty has his thinking-Hawaiin-shirt on.
  8. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Is that the one with the parrots or the one with the hibiscus flowers on it?
  9. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    well, it obviously isn't any of the shirts he's been seen wearing since 2006.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,154 / 37 / -21
    Upon further review (random comment here) Michael Brockers....if he fell to us in the 2nd round I'd probably still consider passing on him. Terrible overall technique and hand placement, gets stood up too easily, doesn't press the pocket, doesn't shed blocks, doesn't demand a double team, and really nothing about his workout was that impressive either.

What a huge project he's going to be for the team that drafts him.
  11. PRiversMVP619

PRiversMVP619 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +5 / 1 / -0
    For those skeptical please remember: I said to trade down so in no way am I saying to pick Barron at No.18 but I still stick with my belief well do the most good in the shortest time. Trade back ONLY if all top DE and OLB prospects are gone, if that does happen move back and fill the need for help in the secondary in Barron which would give us another 2nd pick. Then use BOTH 2nd round picks on Defense, 3rd round on BPA for TE, 4th round on Ronnie Hillman as our change of pace back to compliment Mathews and everything past that on depth for the O/D line. THAT JUST HAPPENED!
  12. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    Except that A) Barron is not the kind of safety we need, and B) the Texans will not give us their second to move up 8 spots in the first.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    ^^^ What he said. You want a 2nd round pick in return, we're either trading down to the high 30's or all the way back into the 2nd round. This isn't Madden where teams are all that willing to trade back into the 1st while giving up their next 3+ chronological selections in the current draft - typically a future pick is supplemented in there somewhere. And while, given the dearth of depth in this draft class at the areas we really could use play-makers at, I'd absolutely love to pick up an extra future 1st... that seems to fly in the face of the crux of your hypothesis which is to help us get to the playoffs the easiest.

Fact is, getting us to the playoffs the quickest doesn't mean drafting for need at the expense of taking lesser caliber players in those positions of need. Teams that make the playoffs still have holes, sometimes still very notable holes (the Pats got the #1 seed last season and had only one safety on their entire roster worth noting - Patrick Chung - and even he's only truly above average, along with no truly notable WR that could take the top off of defenses). The difference here is that if you're in the position to do it, you bolster your strengths to make them even stronger, you add to the areas that alleviate how much of an issue those areas of weakness you have can affect you, and when possible and value-permitting, obviously you attempt to fill out your needs as well but not at the expense of passing on superior talent elsewhere to do so.

Going just strictly off my big board, drafting Donte Hightower gives us a quicker path to the playoffs than drafting Mark Barron at the same spot would (I don't care what spot it is either, I have Hightower valued a full 16 spots above Barron). Assuming that the coaching staff was willing to put him in an open competition with Vasquez or Green in camp, the same could be said for drafting Peter Konz over Barron.

Excusing value for need is precisely how we ended up having this team full of average, mediocre, and above-average-at-best players that lack true play-makers. Play-makers are the guys with top upside, sometimes those guys with top-upside aren't as ready to play immediately.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +120 / 4 / -1
    Completely agreed!

AJ's best draft was when the chargers didn't pidgenhole themselves into picking a certain position. We've done that this year, and will be able to take BPA a lot of the draft. I'm just hoping to god that we dont make a Eric Weddle like tradeup in the 2nd round for Harrison Smith this year...

The Chargers i think are going to finally get back to sitting and letting players fall to them, and get back to the drafts that brought us almost all our star players that we've had in recent memory (Brees, Rivers, Turner, Castillo, Merriman, V Jax, Jammer, etc. etc.). I'm excited to see where we go in this draft.

IMO, lately, we've had a solid roster talent wise, but we're just lacking those true difference making players that we haven't gotten from the last few drafts. We dont have one player on this D that is truly an elite player at his position, and if we do, its not at a big value position (only one i could cosider is Weddle and even he's a stretch). We need to get an impact defensive player in this draft.
  15. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    In fairness, in the Manning for Rivers situation, we were drafting first overall.

I agree that the Weddle trade-up was stupid, should've just taken him in the 1st and not boned our draft future.
  16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,154 / 37 / -21
    Or it'd have been nice to take him at 29, and trade up for Sidney Rice who had been and was always better prospect than Buster Davis.

I'll never forget the day I saw Craig Davis' name on the screen during our pick.:mad:
    • Like Like x 1
  17. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings Received:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    In all honesty, if all the pass rushers are gone, we should trade back acouple of spots. Acquire a second, and draft janoris Jenkins, Then get a OLB in the second, and maybe harrison smith in the second to.
  18. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Barring a team coveting a player so badly AND trying to move ahead of a division rival for said player, we'd have to move back more than "a couple" of spots to acquire a 2nd round pick in return - probably close to moving back from #18 to the 28-32 range. Granted, Jenkins is likely still going to be available there - then again, I'm of the opinion that Jenkins would/will be available at our natural 2nd round pick and into the top of the 3rd because at least 1/3 of the teams in the league won't touch him due to his repeated character concerns at every program he's been with thus far. That said, AJ's not going to draft the guy... he's nearly as anti-AJ a pick as a guy can get outside of being an OL with major character concerns AND from the SEC.
  19. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings Received:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    I rather have him the Jammer or Cason, I want impact, if we can add a good secondary we could have a better pass rushing tadem
  20. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    No one's disputing the guy's talent... he's just a monumental "all about me"-type, Grade A moron. The guy was kicked off a D1 program, had to reside himself to playing D2 ball... and STILL couldn't keep from getting suspended while on that D2 team. The guy just hasn't shown any reason to believe he'll ever pull his head out of his own backside - particularly if/when given a substantial bank account balance.

Talent alone doesn't cut it. And while I do believe there's some merit in the argument that AJ's been too critical and nitpicking of character concerns with regard to prospects in the past, Jenkins' rap sheet is as long as my... yeah. So I really couldn't blame AJ for steering clear of Janoris, as I'm fairly confident that at least 1/3 of the front offices in the league are also doing.
  21. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    Jenkins will make the front page of ESPN.com for being in a fight in a stripclub. If you could bet on this in Vegas, I'd put 5 bucks on it.
    • Agree Agree x 1