1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

So how many losses will it take for Dean to fire the organizational cancer AJ Smith?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by IMissMarty, Sep 2, 2012.

1. IMissMarty

IMissMarty BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +9 / 35 / -22
    There have been rumblings that AJ Smith will return in 2013 even if the Chargers miss the playoffs again this season. Obviously that would spell even more trouble for our rapidly declining team. Ever since the cancerous crybaby got his way in 2007 and hired Norv Turner as head coach, the team has done nothing but get worse and is now the mess that it is today, a team that can't even get into the postseason anymore. So it's clear that we need to get this piece of trash out of here.

So what do you guys think? What record will seal the fate of the organizational cancer? I'm going with 5-11 (a real possibility considering Norv is still here.)
    • Disagree Disagree x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,280 / 12 / -5
    **removed image**
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings Received:
    +402 / 8 / -0
    this is one of those loaded questions right? kinda like "have you stopped beating your wife?"

AJ is NOT a cancer, he has built this roster from 4-12, 6-10 seasons, has kept it in contention year after year and looks like he has done it again this year.

Now Norv in the other hand...
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings Received:
    +325 / 11 / -6
    6-10 bye-bye AJ :)

Sent from my iPhone
  5. IMissMarty

IMissMarty BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +9 / 35 / -22
    Your last sentence demonstrates what I am talking about. AJ is the reason that Norv was hired as the head coach. AJ's refusal to recommend Norv's firing, in spite of how much worse the team has become since Norv got here, is that reason Norv is still here.

AJ is an organizational cancer in every sense of the word.
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
  6. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,280 / 12 / -5
    [​IMG]
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. IMissMarty

IMissMarty BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +9 / 35 / -22
    I think that sounds reasonable. 6-10 is a real possibility this year, given the tough schedule and the presence of Norv.

Hopefully we're only a few months away from having this cancer and his failure of a head coach out of here.
  8. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    One.
    It just has to be the right one. ;)
  9. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +406 / 7 / -1
    Norv will be gone first. AJ could survive into 2013 easy.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings Received:
    +325 / 11 / -6
    If one stays it better be Norv.,,.

AJ will just bring in his next Yes man it will be the SOS

Sent from my iPhone
  11. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 35 / -5
    Before we start firing AJ and NORV lets really evaluate what they have done.

Norv... Nothing but destroy what this could have been.

AJ... Inherited a team that was awesome from John Butler. Since AJ took over he got rid of Marty and replaced him with Norv. *Big Big mistake of a HC. (JB already had plans of drafting another QB either Rivers or Big Ben if Brees didn't show promise. AJ did NOT plan that draft so do not give AJ credit for Rivers. Give credit to Brees and Eli). AJ has stuck to his guns with 'Sign your tender and we'll negotiate' style. He does not play favorites as he did this to A. Gates. He has made some stupid draft picks such as, 'Hester, Byrd," and not filling in the void of the traded draft picks with FA (Weddle, Mathews). AJ has kept the salary cap in check and in balance.

AJ's strength is sticking to his football players first and then money philosophy. But his weakness is in evaluating coaches, Norv, Cottrel, Manusky.

This year is the TRUE AJ Smith team as he went FA crazy and drafted for need. Let us see what he drafted, signed and hired (HC) before we cut him. Actually, if we had a HC we probably would be able to get more out of out players.
  12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,550 / 44 / -6
    WOW!!!!!!!
  13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I am far from an AJ fan, but this was his best off season since 2004. It is hard to attack him after a good offseason
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings Received:
    +325 / 11 / -6
    Best off-season?

Lets play some games before we get crazy now!

Time will tell,......

Sent from my iPhone
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Yes, his best offseason since 2004. The draft consists of 4-5 players that will be starters within 2 years, 3 of which likely by the end of the season. He also upgraded our WR corp, picked up a legit FB, and replaced the bum of a DC that drug the team down last year.

The worst part of the offseason is that he once again ignored the OL, especially the right side
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,550 / 44 / -6
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    • Like Like x 1
  17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
    Can we at least wait til week 6 or so before starting this crap?
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,686 / 39 / -8
    If the Chargers dont lose a lot will people change their tone, or simply lose interest and go sulk under their bed?
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Chico Andy

Chico Andy BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I agree with you that getting rid of Marty was a mistake and made some bad picks in Hester and Byrd. Also, your point on his coaching selections also leave something to be desired.

However your opening line is a little harsh on AJ. I don't think that going from 1996 until 2004 without a single winning season is "inheriting a team that was awesome". On the flip side, we have not had a single losing season since he fully took over in 2004. He deserves some credit for that. I disagree with you that AJ should not receive credit for Rivers. He may have gotten a bit lucky, but ultimately he was the one that got it done.

Ultimately, I agree with your conclusion as well.
  20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I would disagree. Getting rid of Marty is the right thing to do, but hiring Norv was where the mistake was made. When changes are made, they should be an upgrade. Norv wasn't one
  21. IMissMarty

IMissMarty BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +9 / 35 / -22
    I agree here. I was a huge fan of Marty and loved him for bringing winning football back to San Diego, but I realize that he has a long history of losing in the playoffs and if a better option than Marty had been presented, I would have been fine with replacing him with a significant upgrade. But replacing Marty with Norv is like replacing Philip Rivers with Jamarcus Russell. Stupid.
  22. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    If I didn't know better I'd swear a certain thread starter wants this team to lose so he can justify his agenda.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings Received:
    +151 / 0 / -0
    Just curious, do you remember the years prior to AJ being our GM? I do. I think AJ is one of the better things to happen to the Chargers in a long time. The nine years before AJ was our GM our regular season record was 59-85. The nine years AJ has been our GM our record has been 91-56. Eight straight seasons without a losing record. With five division titles.
    During AJ's nine year run the Chargers have acquired the most Pro Bowl talent in the league sending 15 players. New England is second with 14.
    Does he hit a home run every time with his acquisitions and picks? NO. Does hit hit a home run more than most GMs? YES.
    I like the guy.
    What makes you think a different GM will do better?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. IMissMarty

IMissMarty BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +9 / 35 / -22
    I hear this stupid argument every single season. I've been a die hard Chargers fan for over 20 years, you think I enjoy watching my team being driven into the ground by a cancer of a GM and his numbnuts head coach who he refuses to fire?

I can assure you, this is no fun for me. I don't want to see this team lose. I want to see them try to win. By keeping the idiot they have coaching them, they aren't even trying to do that.
  25. IMissMarty

IMissMarty BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +9 / 35 / -22
    Just curious, do you remember the years prior to Marty Schottenheimer being our head coach? I do.

Do you remember how good the Chargers were becoming before AJ hired Norv Turner? I do.

Do you think the team is better off now than they were 5 years ago? I don't.
  26. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,686 / 39 / -8
    Common denominator being the "I" part...

You may type you want to see them win, but the tone of all your other posts indicates the exact opposite. Maybe you should ponder that a bit before hitting 'Post Reply'.
  27. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,686 / 39 / -8
    Do you remember all thos post season victories Marty brought the team... I dont...

Marty is gone, time to move on.
  28. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings Received:
    +151 / 0 / -0
    Hate to break this to you, but Norv has two more wins than Marty did in the same time span of five years.
    Norv: 49-31
    Marty: 47-33

Was it really a downgrade to have Norv coach us?
  29. IMissMarty

IMissMarty BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +9 / 35 / -22
    That's an interesting viewpoint on your part. Let me ask you then, if your theory is correct and I want to see the team lose, why am I so angry over the current state of the organization? Since they haven't even made the playoffs in the past 2 years under this head coach, wouldn't I be happy right now and want to see things keep going in the direction they're currently going in?

If I want to see the team lose, I've pretty much been getting exactly what I want over the past few years, right? So why am I so intent on seeing it change?

Explain that one for me.
  30. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    There's a reason I started the post with "If I didn't know better..."

Obviously you don't want them to lose, but that's the impression you give when you start asking about how many losses it'll take to rid ourselves of our GM at the beginning of the season.

It doesn't help when you carry an obvious agenda-driven handle like "IMissMarty".