1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

So how many losses will it take for Dean to fire the organizational cancer AJ Smith?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by IMissMarty, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    I think it in poor taste to dismiss someone's fandom based on their dissatisfaction with management and their expectations of success (or failure) for the team.

That said, I am rooting for 2 outcomes. I hope that the Chargers either win the Superbowl, or that they have the worst record in the league come season's end. Any other result will be a disappointment.
  2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Please send me a copy of your forum etiquette book so that I can alter my behavior towards the poor insulted idiots who look no further than the front office or coaching staff for responsibility, mmmmkay?
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,279 / 12 / -5
    [​IMG]
  4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,684 / 39 / -8
    What Buck sed.
  5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    I have no problem admitting that Marty was an outstanding head coach. I was one of his loudest supporters and one of the maddest Charger fans when he was fired (I just don't carry an agenda about it over a half decade after the fact like some people I know).

You see, it's just that I can argue that Marty was a great head coach without crediting him for things that weren't in his job description.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I don't think Meacham has to turn into VJ to upgrade the quality of a WR Corp that we have. IMO, our WR's from top to bottom are better this year than they were last year, or at least were prior to Brown breaking his ankle
  7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    From my understanding, that is untrue. His contract stated that he got full control over his coaching staff, and he was well within his contractual rights to hire his brother if he wanted (Not arguing if it was a smart move or not, just that he had the power to do so)
  8. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,684 / 39 / -8
    Where did you find that information on what Marty's contract stated? I have never heard that Marty had full control of anything, because typically the HC with the Chargers is given a say but not full control over anything.
  9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,548 / 44 / -6
    Marty should have been a college HC where his "gleam" schtick could be renewed year after year without the loss of player focus. Marty will never be confused with the great X's & O's HC of his time or any other for that matter, he always lost when it mattered most.
  10. IMissMarty

IMissMarty BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +9 / 35 / -22
    And now we have a head coach who can't even get to the playoffs.

But hey, at least Norv hasn't choked in the playoffs in nearly 3 years. After all, you can't choke in the playoffs if you don't even get there.
  11. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,548 / 44 / -6
    Norv has never brought the Chargers to the playoffs???
  12. IMissMarty

IMissMarty BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +9 / 35 / -22
    The success the Chargers have had? Like missing the playoffs last year despite being in a division that they were overwhelmingly favored to win and that produced no teams over .500 or any other teams that even scored more points than they allowed? Yeah, this head coach has been real successful.

You don't have to be as angry as I am over the slap in the face we're getting by keeping Norv as HC, but you can at least stop pretending not to understand why so many fans are so ticked off over it.
  13. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,548 / 44 / -6
    You must have been a Brees fan also. You know, Brees never in his whole Bolt career threw an interception that was his fault. river's on the other hand throws them all the time.
  14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    There's a fine line between being ticked off at Norval still being our head coach and carrying an unhealthy grudge coupled with a tunnel-visioned agenda about it.
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I am pretty sure He said it when interviewed on XX a year or 2 ago. I'll see if I can find something else
  16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2763552

"The San Diego Union-Tribune, citing unnamed sources, reported that Schottenheimer was fired after trying to interview his brother, Kurt, for the team's vacant defensive coordinator post. Spanos and Smith didn't approve of the move, but Schottenheimer reportedly insisted he had the right to hire his own staff."

Take it for what it is worth, he claims he had the control and the team fired him rather than just over ruling him, which would make sense if he truly had control and the only way to take away that control was to fire him and void his contract that gave him such control.
  17. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,684 / 39 / -8
    Bwaaaahahahahahah!

Favored to win the division. You claim to be a multi decade Chargers fan, yet you give credence to any theory about who should win, or is going to win? Really? Son... In the imortal words of Herman Edwards... "THATS WHY YOU PLAY THE GAME!" If your looking for gimme games, stick to Madden and your cheat codes.

[​IMG]

I dont see you as the voice of the fan. To this point there have been maybe two or three doom and gloom prognosticators, on multiple forums sand you are one. You are crying into your beer before the season is even started and you dont seem to see why that makes you a joke.

Also I find it humerous how you keep narrowing the scope of your argument as people puch holes in it left and right. You are now down to last season (as if that predicts what all seasons there after are going to be), what next... Remember that one game, that one play, that one second?

Keep going, this is really giving me something to laugh about today. Thanks!
  18. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,684 / 39 / -8
    No worries, I just hadnt seen that before. That boat done sailed for me; hit an ice burgh, broke in twain and fell into an undersea volcano.... S.S. Marty is gone.
  19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings Received:
    +222 / 1 / -1
    To be honest, after the season ended I thought for sure at least Norv was gone, and probably AJ too. I don't know whether that is the ownership giving them one last chance, or whether they just don't want to pay the remainder of their contracts by firing, then having to hire replacements.

Right now, I think AJ has taken some small steps away from the chopping block by having a decent off-season, and to be honest, last season we had the team to win the division, we made mistakes in coaching and on the field, it's hard to fault the GM for that to a point.

I would think / hope missing the playoffs would mean the end of Norv, not so sure about AJ though. Hopefully we win the division and make some noise in the playoffs though so we don't have to have this conversation again next year lol.
  21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    I guarantee Norv is gone if they have another crappy no playoffs year.

I'd put money on him still being here because of the contract issue you mentioned. This is his last year, so that's not an issue this time. If he's here next year it's because they actively and consciously extended him.
  22. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,422 / 19 / -4
    Re this thread

[​IMG]
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  23. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Yeah, I don't care and was on the "Fire Marty" bandwagon, I just feel it is the right thing to do to correct people if the info they say is false, or if there is a reason to believe it is false. And if what Marty claims was true, and I have never seen anything where the Chargers denied it, then he didn't cause his own firing and was well within his contractual rights to hire IMissMarty if he wanted
  24. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    We can only hope. But you all know me well enough to know that if we are 2-4 in week 6, I will be just as obnoxious as "ImissMarty" in calling for Norv to be fired
  25. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Then I guess we're where I have long contended many of the Chargers' issues have originated all along .... ownership.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings Received:
    +325 / 11 / -6
    Even as much as I dislike AJ.... I have to agree 110%

Lets play some games!

:raiderssuck::chiefssuck::broncossuck:
  27. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    He doesn't have to turn into VJ, though he does have to develop something resembling rapport with Rivers. As for Brown, he doesn't represent an action improving the WR corps that took place this offseason, now does he?
  28. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9

That's adorable. I like how you double-quoted me while posting this. The irony is fantastic.
  29. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    I don't think it's a matter of etiquette, I think it's a pillar of the principles of debate. It's the equivalent of the following:

A) I have a viewpoint
    B) Your viewpoint is wrong
    A) Why?
    B) Because you like Ham Sandwiches.

or

A) I think that this is a likely outcome
    B) I disagree with you
    A) Here is my reasoning, what's yours?
    B) You have a small penis and nobody likes you.

Dismissing someone's opinion of the team, negative or otherwise, by declaring them a "non-fan" or telling them to root for another team simply reflects poorly on the person making the statement, even if it is directed at a complete moron like IMM. IMM's inability to write a coherent, logical thought, or to think rationally, doesn't make him any less of a fan, it just makes him someone you'd likely want a drool bib on were he visiting your home.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  30. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,548 / 44 / -6
    In IMM's hatred of Norv he's just trying to kill two birds with one stone and has absolutely zero cred as far as I'm concerned. I laugh at the foolishness and am astounded by such hatred.
    • Agree Agree x 1