1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Spanos says Chargers want to stay in San Diego

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, May 22, 2013.

1. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226 / 8 / -4
    I give a **** who owns or builds it - I just don't believe in tax payers continuing to support the hobbies of the obscenely wealthy.

2. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    How is that comment even relevant to the conversation?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

3. Fouts

Fouts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +161 / 3 / -0
    Ok, you guys convinced me, I will STILL vote for a publicly funded Chargers stadium. :D

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a fish to butcher up, my kids will be expecting seared hamachi sammiches, when they get home from school. :sneaky:

4. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226 / 8 / -4
    The NFL plays by far different rules than "Capitalists" .... And even those vaunted captains of industry don't let the "invisible hand" bitch slap them when it's warranted.

Status quo doesn't make it acceptable or untouchable.

5. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226 / 8 / -4
    Go read the news about DePaul's new arena getting tax-payer funded while schools are being closed.

Just because your head is in your *** shouldn't mean I have to do your research for you.

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +3,754 / 39 / -8
    I apologize in advance for informing you of how ignorant I believe your comment to be. Also short sighted.

The stadium does not represent hobbies of the wealthy, obscenely or otherwise. It represents investment in infrastructure of the community. Community events are held at it, all of which the city charges for and makes revenue from. Again it is not the Chargers stadium, it is the cities. When moto-rallies, or high school football tournaments are held on site, the city makes the money from the event. Not the Chargers.

Sorry but your painting this as something that just benefits the Chargers is simply not knowing what the topic is, and not being able to speak to it with any sort of intelligence, in my honest opinion.

You are however welcome to your opinion, I heartily agree to disagree if it were not overtly apparent.

• Like Like x 1
  7. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings:
    +1,619 / 29 / -2
    The hobbies of the obscenely wealthy?

Isn't this our hobby too? I mean, we're here devoting an entire message board to discussing the goings-on of the sport and the majority of us own tons of paraphernalia but it's only their hobby?

I'm not obscenely wealthy last I checked.

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    And name a single quote by a single person on this thread, that has suggested doing it at the cost of schools?

Fact is, I posted an article about how the city of Arlington is actually making more money in tax dollars from the new stadium than what they are paying in bond payments, and guess what, that extra revenue is going into schools, police, parks, ect

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

9. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,619 / 29 / -2
    I still can't get over the "hobbies of the obscenely wealthy" bit.

This is far from that. Football stadiums are jam packed with people tailgating and spectating that are far from obscenely wealthy. Those same lower-to-middle class fans then go home where they own paraphernalia of their favorite team and discuss it with friends, often times on message boards like this.

This is hardly a hobby of the obscenely wealthy. In fact, those obscenely wealthy people Riff Raff referenced wouldn't even be obscenely wealthy if the lower and middle class folk didn't make such a hobby of these sports.

10. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151 / 0 / -0
    I don't blame Spanos for that deal. He's a business man, he would have been a fool not to take it. I'd blame the politicians that signed off on it.

11. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,619 / 29 / -2
    You speak for every tax payer in San Diego county?

12. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,627 / 11 / -0
    Correct me if I'm wrong chargerlipz but are you referencing the ticket guarantee? If so, I agree heartily.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +324 / 1 / -0
    ***grabs popcorn, and a jack and coke*** for the great reading material in this thread. :tup: :roflmao:

14. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +214 / 1 / -0
    I'm think'n winning a SuperBowl might move things and talks along a little easier in the right direction.
    A lot of jaded Charger fan tax payers out there.......Just say'n. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151 / 0 / -0
    10-4

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +3,754 / 39 / -8
    Oh! I know this one! SIX! The answer is 6!

:abq2:Go Concudan... It's ya burfday! :abq2:

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,447 / 36 / -16
    Ha! If the Chargers could actually bring a freakin' Lombardi trophy to San Diego, this cash-strapped
    town would find a way to build them the Taj Mahal of NFL stadiums...a building that would
    make Cowboys Stadium look like a goddam Porta Potty!!

(oops! never mind...here's my meds!)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226 / 8 / -4
    Riiiiight .... because communities all over this country have nothing more pressing to spend the taxpayers' dollars on ....

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/...ver-after-I-5-Bridge-collapse--208760201.html

I don't need or want your apology as you haven't offended me or changed my opinion in the least.

If any owners of a sports' teams want new digs for their team, that's great. Let them & their fat cat buddy's come up with the funds. Issue investment bonds for the public. Sell your naming rights. Jack up that PSL so it targets the affected group, not the taxpayers as a whole. Just don't raise taxes on the general public to fund it. Because you know what? The jobs to build that structure are short-term. The jobs within that stadium once built are hardly stellar. The money that comes into the community from both the attendance & ancillary sources will come in irregardless of who funds the construction. Once your tax rate increases, do you think that they'll be lowered once this bonanza of revenue starts to flow in? I won't argue that keeping a popular team in an area doesn't generate money for the local economy - certainly it does. I will argue that, especially since the NFL is a MONOPOLY & is largely protected from the forces of capitalism, that team owners should find their own private sources of funding for infrastructure & retain ownership of said asset. I feel fairly certain that even quasi-ownership of this sort of infrastructure should run counter to the "smaller government" sorts, no?

I enjoy sports as much as the next guy. What I don't enjoy is watching taxpayers continue to fund projects that are far less important than the much bigger issues being faced all across this country. This particular issue is local? OK, you're right .... and when someone you know is injured or killed due to an event like the one in Washington, how will you feel about the "cash-strapped" local gov't placing a higher priority on spending your tax dollars to help out the owner of a sports team vs. fixing or replacing that bridge/powerplant/highway/building/etc. that you use EVERY DAY?

Status quo doesn't make something right ... it only means that you might be too lazy or brainwashed to consider other options.

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,619 / 29 / -2
    You're acting like they're asking us to fund their mansion so they can kick back with their fat cat buddies and throw high class parties that none of us commoners are invited to.

The fans enjoy the new stadium just as much as the players and owners do.

I mean, sure they're the ones that make the money off it (as does the city...) but that doesn't mean fans get absolutely nothing out of it and this is just about giving the owners a new house, as you're making it out to be.

20. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226 / 8 / -4
    No that's your spin on it.

If the tax payers who are also Charger fans want an opportunity to help fund a new stadium, great - have at it. I simply don't believe that it should be a situation where a tax package is passed that affects everyone in the area, fan or not.

If you can't see that difference, I don't intend to spend any more time addressing your version of my intent.

Clear enough?

21. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +829 / 22 / -1
    The NFL is not a hobby, it's a business. A business that creates a lot of jobs, and stimulates the economy of the cities that host teams. Now, people can argue the extent that it does, but it doesn't change the fact that a lot of people benefit economically from it. So the question becomes: is the cost of hosting the NFL worth the benefits that come from it? Cities/states frequently give away land, tax benefits, etc., to lure businesses. So the "I refuse to support billionaires" thing is just a ridiculous talking point that people like to throw around. I would hope voters would think in terms that don't just include the butt hurt of "they are billionaires and I'm not."

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,619 / 29 / -2
    So, only tax Chargers fans? How do you propose enforcing such a thing?

And I wasn't talking about your intent at all, I was responding to my interpretation of what you posted.

If you want to further clarify, then have at it. But when I read stuff like "If any owners of a sports' teams want new digs for their team, that's great. Let them & their fat cat buddy's come up with the funds" and referring to the sport and its stadium as a "hobby for the obscenely wealthy" it leads me to believe you think the fans or the community get nothing out of this.

I'm sorry that I'm not a mind reader and am relegated to interpreting what you post on this thread to determine what your intent and meaning are.

• Like Like x 1
  23. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Stadiums are no different than the convention center, parks, golf courses, and any other publicly owned asset. It isn't just for those who use them to pay for them, everyone pays for them whether they use them or not. Whether you use them or not, it irrelevant. Everyone benefits by having such amenities in their city.

How many residents in NYC do you visit the statue of liberty? In all likelihood, very few, but every singe person pays to maintain it for everyone to enjoy

If you can't understand that, they you are in your own world

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,120 / 32 / -0
    Wow, thanks alot for that insightful response. I guess you just wanted to make some meaningless political statement that has nothing to do with the conversation. Perhaps if you stopped frothing at the mouth long enough you could actually post something relevant instead of just vitriol directed at seemingly random targets.

If you don't think that having a sports team is good for the local economy, then don't support it. But stop pretending that the Spanoses are trying to rape the taxpayers. The cost of NFL stadiums continues to rise. It's unreasonable to expect NFL owners in a market like SD to completely fund their own stadium. It has to be a public/private partnership that makes fiscal sense for all involved. It has been done in other cities. It could be done in SD, but only if mouth breathers like you spend more time looking at things like facts and numbers and less time spouting divisive political rhetoric.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  25. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,120 / 32 / -0
    Don't you know that they should stop spending taxes on any facility/benefit that riff raff personally does not use? They are obviously worthless. Just make sure they are back in place when he needs them.

26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    huh? Care to clarify what you mean by this?

27. Concudan

Ratings:
    +3,754 / 39 / -8
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Sarcasm or not, the way it was written, it made no sense to me

29. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,120 / 32 / -0
    It was sarcasm. People like Riff Raff tend to scream their heads off about taxes being spent on this or that, but then they want the services/benefits in place when they need them. It's the new definition of fiscal conservatism, wanting all the services and benefits of publicly funded projects but not wanting to pay for them.

30. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,892 / 48 / -26
    The only reason it looks like that, is that Jerry does most of his thinking on the toilet. ;)