1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

SPURS Playoff Articles

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by rexy2006, May 6, 2007.

1. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    Thought it was about time!!!

Duncan, Parker Lead Spurs to Game 1 Win in Phoenix
    By BOB BAUM, AP Sports Writer
    Posted May 6 2007 7:13PM

<!--/frags/nbaArticleTools.html SSI include--><LINK media=print href="/css/nba_main_print.css" type=text/css rel=stylesheet>
    San Antonio 111, Phoenix 106

PHOENIX, May 6 (AP) -- The San Antonio Spurs left the Phoenix Suns bloodied and beaten in Game 1 of the Western Conference semifinals.
    Tim Duncan had 33 points and 16 rebounds - eight offensive - and Tony Parker added 32 points to lead the Spurs to a rough-and-tumble 111-106 victory on Sunday.
    Steve Nash scored 31 for Phoenix but missed a crucial 45 seconds in the final minute because of a bloody cut on his nose, the result of a head-on collision with Parker with 2:53 to play.
    Michael Finley added 19 points for San Antonio, which with the victory has home-court advantage the rest of the series.
    Amare Stoudemire had 20 points and 18 rebounds but was just 6-of-19 shooting. Leandro Barbosa scored 18 points for the Suns. Shawn Marion, after a slow start, scored 16, 11 in the final quarter.
    Game 2 is Tuesday night in Phoenix.
    After Parker stole Nash's pass, the two collided head-to-head in the San Antonio backcourt. Parker fell to the floor and Nash walked away bleeding. Parker eventually got to his feet and both stayed in the game, Nash with a bandage over the cut.
    Nash made a 3-pointer to tie it at 102 with 2:25 to play, then Duncan gave the Spurs the lead for good with a 10-foot baseline hook shot. Nash missed a 3, then Parker sank a 23-footer to put San Antonio ahead 106-102 with 1:23 remaining.
    Nash's driving layup with 1:13 left cut it to 106-104, and Raja Bell drew an offensive foul on Parker to give Phoenix the ball. But Nash had to come out with 54 seconds to go because of blood oozing around the bandage.
    After Nash's departure, Barbosa missed a 3-pointer that would have given Phoenix the lead. Manu Ginobili made one of two free throws to make it 107-104 with 32 seconds to play, then Stoudemire's two free throws sliced the lead to 107-106 with 26 seconds to go.
    After a San Antonio timeout, Barbosa was called for a foul before the ball was thrown inbounds. That meant Finley got a free throw, and made it, and San Antonio kept possession.
    The bleeding finally was contained and Nash returned with 9.1 seconds to go, but by then San Antonio led 110-106.
    The Spurs were 5-for-9 at the foul line down the stretch, just good enough to win.
    Neither team led by more than eight points in the intense contest between the teams with the two best records left in the playoffs.
    Marion broke out of a subpar offensive game to score seven in an 82-second span of the fourth quarter. His 3-pointer, followed by a fast-break layup, put Phoenix ahead 84-83 with 9:38 remaining.
    There were seven lead changes and three ties after that.
    Both coaches were livid with the officiating, especially Suns coach Mike D'Antoni.
    When the teams returned to the court at halftime, D'Antoni got into a heated conversation with referee Bob Delaney at midcourt. During the talk, Delaney turned called a technical against Suns assistant Mark Iavaroni, who was sitting on the Phoenix bench.
    Finley's free throw on the technical ignited a 16-5 Spurs' run to start the second half. Parker scored six in the surge, capped by a 19-footer that put San Antonio ahead 67-59 with 8:05 left in the third.
    Phoenix cut it to two late in the third quarter and twice had a chance to tie before the period ended, but Barbosa missed a layup, then his baseline jumper at the buzzer was swatted away by Robert Horry. San Antonio led 77-75 entering the fourth.

Notes: San Antonio has won five straight playoff games. ... Marion turns 29 on Monday. ... It's the second time since 1975 that the league's highest-scoring team (Suns 110.2 points) is going against the top defensive team (Spurs 90.1) in the playoffs. The other occasion was the 2005 Western Conference finals between Phoenix and San Antonio, which the Spurs won.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Thanx for having my back, Homie, I'll post abunchuvem from the local fishwrap in the mornin!! :yes: :tup:
  3. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  4. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  5. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  6. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  7. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  8. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  9. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  10. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  11. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  12. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  13. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  14. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    SPURS WIN SPURS WIN SPURS WIN

Duncan Carries Spurs Past Suns for 2-1 Lead
    By ELIZABETH WHITE, Associated Press Writer
    Posted May 13 2007 1:15AM

<!--/frags/nbaArticleTools.html SSI include--><LINK media=print href="/css/nba_main_print.css" type=text/css rel=stylesheet>
    Tim Duncan had 33 points and 19 rebounds to lead the Spurs to a 108-101 victory over the Suns on Saturday night and a 2-1 series lead.

<!-- Close Dataset, get rid of cache --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=40 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>[​IMG] Nathaniel S. Butler/NBAE/Getty Images
    Tim Duncan already had a double-double by halftime, and finished 12-for-19 from the field.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    San Antonio 108, Phoenix 101
    SAN ANTONIO, May 12 (AP) -- The physical style of play returned in Game 3, and it seemed to bring out the best in the San Antonio Spurs again.

Manu Ginobili got a bloodied and bruised eye Saturday, and 24 points, as the Spurs took a 108-101 victory for a 2-1 lead in their second-round series with the Phoenix Suns.

Phoenix's Steve Nash got a gash to the nose that required six stitches during Game 1 after a collision with Tony Parker. The Spurs won that game 111-106 and had a 101-81 loss in Game 2.

"No big deal, I guess,'' said Ginobili, who had the kind of night San Antonio needed after he had poor performances in Games 1 and 2, when he scored eight and six points, respectively.
    Game 4 is Monday night in San Antonio.

Tim Duncan led the Spurs with 33 points - 13 in the fourth quarter - and 19 rebounds.

"It looked pretty bad actually, it still looks pretty bad,'' Duncan said of Ginobili. "But ... it fixed his shot, so it might be the other eye on Monday.''

Ginobili scored 12 points in the third quarter and 10 in the last 1:58. Even after he got hit in the eye on a drive to the basket, he hit a jumper, three free throws and a 3-pointer to put the Spurs up 80-72 going into the final quarter.
    Nash was scoreless in the first half and finished with 16 points. He had 10 points in the fourth, but it wasn't enough as the Suns only got as close as six twice in the fourth. Nash also had 11 assists.

"I just had a bad game, and it's frustrating to have it in such a big game but it happens from time to time,'' Nash said.
    "Although they did play me tough, I still had my chances and it just didn't bounce for me tonight.''

Ginobili said he wasn't sure who got him as he got caught up with both Shawn Marion and Raja Bell on the play.
    "I think I poked him in the eye,'' Marion said. "It was an accident, but I mean, it's part of the game. I didn't do it on purpose.''

Marion led the Suns with 26 points. Amare Stoudemire finished with 21, but was in foul trouble for most of the second half.
    "There's nothing I could do about it at that point,'' Stoudemire said. "I just had to watch my guys fight and keep it close. They did that, they just couldn't pull it out.''

The Suns were within 104-98 with 1:42 to go.
    Bruce Bowen's 3-pointer with 8 minutes left in the third was the go-ahead basket for San Antonio and gave it a 62-60 lead.

The tension of the playoff series between two of the league's top teams was heightened after Stoudemire on Thursday called the Spurs a "dirty team'' and specifically called out Bowen, saying he purposely kicked him during the Suns' Game 2 win on Tuesday, and Ginobili.

Stoudemire said the hostile reaction from the crowd motivated him.
    "I love it. I hope they keep it up,'' Stoudemire said.
    Tony Parker had 16 points for San Antonio and Bowen added 10.
    Bell scored 12 points for Phoenix and Boris Diaw had 10. Kurt Thomas had 12 rebounds for the Suns.
    Nash missed all four of his first-half attempts.
    "I'd better do something,'' Nash said, looking ahead to Game 4. "I can't just not contribute at all. I'm always going to try to be aggressive and I try to take what the defense gives me. If I'm there to shoot, I've got to keep shooting. If I'm drawing attention and can pass to a teammate, that's the play I try to make.''

But his teammates picked up the slack. Bell's back-to-back 3s early in the second quarter helped Phoenix build a 10-point lead over San Antonio with just over nine minutes to play in the half.

And Stoudemire fueled Phoenix with 5-of-7 shooting from the field.
    The Spurs' first 3 of the game - they missed their first seven attempts - came from Michael Finley with 7.9 seconds remaining to give the Spurs a 55-53 lead at the break.
    Nash got his first point of the game at the beginning of the third quarter, when he made one of two free throws. To the delight of Spurs fans, Stoudemire quickly picked up his third and fourth fouls and went to the bench for the rest of the quarter with 10:35 remaining.

Then the Spurs started making 3s. Brent Barry hit one with 8:14 left in the third to start a 10-0 Spurs run. Bowen followed with back-to-back 3s to put the Spurs up 65-60.
    Nash was 0-of-9 from the field before he made his first basket with five minutes left in the third to bring the Suns within 66-62.

Stoudemire was back at the beginning of the fourth, but his fifth foul with 11:41 to go sent him to the bench again. And his missed alley-oop dunk off a pass from Nash with 1:12 to go punctuated Phoenix's bad night.
    Marion also had 10 points in the fourth.

Notes: Responding to questions about Stoudemire's comments before the game, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said: "Amare's a great player - he's very young.'' ... American Idol contestant Haley Scarnato of San Antonio sang the national anthem. Scarnato was voted off the show in April. ... Game 3 was the second time this season Nash didn't score during the first half. The first time came when the Suns visited Toronto on Jan. 3. ... Suns coach Mike D'Antoni was given a technical foul with 7:29 left in the fourth after San Antonio stole the ball from Nash. ... Fans chanted "Dirty! Dirty!'' when Stoudemire went to the foul line. ... The Suns had 16 turnovers for 23 points and the Spurs had 11 turnovers for 16 points. ... The Spurs finished 7-of-20 from 3-point range, while the Suns were 9-of-17.
  15. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +836 / 0 / -0
    Interesting Read:tup:

Pistons play the Bulls tonight:tup: :tup:
  16. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  17. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  18. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings Received:
    +323 / 3 / -0
    Spurs are a bunch of dirty *** pricks and I am 93% certain that Eva sucks off the refs before the game which is why they get all the calls at home. I actually watched the game last night and I have to say that the Suns got a screwjob. I don't even care about the Spurs or Suns but watching such biased officials call that game really pissed me off. Blatant fouls on guys like Duncan Bowen and Oberto and nothing was called. The only guys who play good clean basketball on the Spurs are Tony Parker Matt Bonner Michael Finley Brent Barry and Ginobili. The rest are dirty.
  19. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,243 / 0 / -0
    Go SPURS Go !!!
  20. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    I needta get a pic of that big-asssed flag at Dixie Flag Co. :yes:
  21. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  22. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings Received:
    +1,006 / 1 / -0
    With the win yesterday I'm absolutely convinced the Spurs will win the NBA Finals. Which is awesome 'cause Tim Duncan is totally my favorite player in the NBA. I now he takes some heat for not being "intense" enough, but I have massive respect for anybody who shows up to work every day, gives their all and doesn't have to show anybody up. If I can still get decent odds here in Vegas I'm definatly betting the Spurs to win it all! :tup:
  23. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Lotta slow walkin and sad music here in San Antone for acuppola days :icon_eek: :icon_sad: :tdown:
  24. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  25. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  26. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  27. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  28. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  29. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Tim isn't flashy-nonea the Spurs are. The closest thing to "sizzle" is Manu, and sometimes he raises the ire of Pop.

This is a TEAM effort, and this is Tim Duncan's TEAM.
  30. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,243 / 0 / -0

I've got that Sunday sports section on my desk .... I'll read it later.