1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Stanford Routt anyone?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Nov 5, 2012.

1. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    Not being able to excel at the elite top of your field doesn't mean you have absolutely no ability to play the field.

I always laugh when any fan tries to tell me with a straight face that anybody who's made it to the professional league of their sport can't play the game at all.

Even Ryan Leaf had football instincts.
  2. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +781 / 54 / -41
    AJ pulls the pin on this pickup and forget about Routed, Rooted or however you wish to spell and pronounce it ......

Bottom line ...........................we'll be more Farg'd than we are now, the guy's game is :poop:, plain and simple.

My God, we must be desperate for some fans to even consider picking up such a piss-poor player.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +781 / 54 / -41
    So did Matt Whiffy Wilhelm ..................... whats your point ?

I think the definition of the word "earned" is in question here, would you agree to that at least ?
  4. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    Yep. Matty Whiffy Wilhelm had football instincts as well.

I don't see a contradiction here.

If you're good enough to make it to the NFL you have some amount of football instincts or else you wouldn't be playing at that elite level.

If you were good enough at that elite level that somebody decided you were worth another contract you definitely have some amount of instinct for the game.

Just because Wilhelm wasn't good enough to excel at the absolute most elite level of his profession doesn't mean he doesn't have any ability to play the game very well. It just means he wasn't good enough to be a reliable starter at such an elite level.

Line up 2 53 man rosters of college backups/role players/starters who never made it to the NFL, Practice Squad fodder, and high school stars and Matt Wilhelm and I guarantee Wilhelm looks like an All Pro and tears **** up.

Hell, Wilhelm stood out enough in Ohio State's defense that he was drafted. So don't tell me the guy doesn't have football instincts just because he ultimately failed at his profession's elite level.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    I see where you're coming from, but the question isn't whether or not he has football instincts, the question is whether or not he can improve our secondary. My understanding is that he's always been a number 2 CB, and then not exactly the best one. Is that actually an upgrade over Toast 1 and Toast 2, I don't know.
  6. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    Well, that's the question of the overall topic, but that particular portion of the conversation spawned from this.

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,550 / 44 / -6
    River's can't play football either, just ask any of the several experts on this and other Bolt boards if you don't believe me.
    • Funny Funny x 2