1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Steelers GM says this is deepest NFL draft class in 30 years

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,759 / 47 / -26
    Steelers GM Kevin Colbert says this is deepest NFL draft class in 30 years
    By Eric Edholm
    Shutdown Corner

INDIANAPOLIS — Good news, draftniks. One of the NFL's most experienced and skilled talent evaluators believes the 2014 draft is one of the deepest of all time.

Pittsburgh Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert, who has been in NFL scouting since 1984 and with the team since 2000, couldn't help but gush about this year's crop of talent

"I've been doing this 30 years," Colbert said, "this is the deepest draft I've ever seen."

A record 102 underclassmen entered this year's pool, which fattened up the talent level.

"We felt that way even before the underclassmen came in," Colbert said. "Our scouts were talking about the senior class being a pretty good class. You don't know what the junior class will be, so you try to predict what that will be."

Still, even with the bevy of underclassmen, there always is the worry about maturity.

"The juniors added into it make it a very talented group. With the juniors and redshirt sophomores, we are very cautiously optimistic about their emotional and physical readiness for this huge jump. Even though it's the most talented group I've seen, it's probably the most immature group.

"We have to be prepared for more player development-type programs to get the development out of these players."

Even with the potential for a few medium rare players in need of seasoning, Colbert can't help but appreciate just how much depth there is in this class — across the board.

"I can't see a position where there isn't more depth than there ever has been," he said. "You talk about interior offensive linemen, it's a solid group. Not as solid as maybe the tackles or receivers, but it's more solid than it has been in the past.

"It's exciting when you're picking players out of this group."
  2. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,377 / 36 / -16
    Don't know how right he is, but, if so, good news for teams like ours with 15 holes to fill.

Screen Shot 2014-02-20 at 4.51.34 PM.png
  3. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,759 / 47 / -26
    That, and the fact that the cap is being raise to $130 million should help.
  4. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    He's effectively stating the obvious. 102 underclassmen... compared to the previous record set last year of 73 (that's practically a full round of additional prospects just among the underclassmen).

It's a good thing for us and (God-willing unless some legitimate 1st round caliber player falls to the mid-2nd or 3rd) hopefully we won't (need to) be trading up to get quality players we feel match both value and need.
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,432 / 19 / -4
    This has to be the deepest WR and CB classes I've ever seen, and there will be some amazing talent available in the 3rd-7th rounds
  6. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,377 / 36 / -16
    I agree with that reasoning…but what I meant (not gracefully stated) by "Don't know how right he is"
    was less about perceptions in early 2014, and more about whether down the road this would truly rank
    an exceptional draft
    , like a 1983.
  7. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    It's all good. And Colbert may be right - that's really yet to be determined - yet... but it's going to take 3+ years to really determine that. 2011 was the closest thing to a class as deep as the '83 class as we've seen in some time (really, really deep in the first 3-4 rounds, didn't quite round out the same way '83 did... but '83 also had more rounds back then - someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I was all of 2 at that point). Heck, he may still not be wrong since I think Kevin Colbert (the Steelers GM) was in at least high school, if not junior high, when the '83 class was drafted.
  8. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings Received:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    nah, he was 26 at the time, started working with the dolphins in 1984,
  9. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +264 / 4 / -0
    Did everyone else miss where he said this is also the most immature class he's ever seen?
  10. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,759 / 47 / -26
    No....... I've seen the same comments attached to articles saying " Steelers GM Says This Is The Most Immature Draft Class Ever."

It's all a matter of what you choose to focus on. ;)
  11. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,377 / 36 / -16
    Like, totally…

Screen Shot 2014-02-22 at 7.11.54 PM.png