1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Steve Williams at FS???

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MadMike, Apr 28, 2013.

1. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +430 / 2 / -1
    I know it may be a stretch, but any chance we put Steve Williams at FS, move Weddle to SS (I know he is an amazing FS) as he has bulked up over the last few years, go with Cox and Wright at CB amd Gilly at the Nickel? I am not sure that Brandon Taylor is going to be 100% ready come game 1, and not sure we have anyone else ready to step in at SS, so is it possible we do this to put the best players on the field in some capacity? Would have a lot of ball hawking skill on the field and with the front 7 we will field this year, could turn into a whole lot of turnovers.
  2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    I expect Stuckey to get a fair chance to start or to put Gilchrist at SS where he's played some in college. Williams I feel may be best to keep as a nickel
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    Pretty much this. Williams should translate better at the nickel. His size, and speed should keep him there in the NFL based on his measurables. He lacks the ideal size you want at either safety position which is usually around the 5'11" to 6'1" and 200 + lbs. He is 5'9" 181 lbs.
    Now granted he makes up for that with a 40 inch vert but standing and jumping is far different than going up against guys you are giving 30 -40 lbs to and are 6'5" tall fighting for a ball.
  4. MadMike

Ratings Received:
    +430 / 2 / -1
    I understand his size lends itself better to Nickel, but Arizona is going to play Mathieu at FS and he is similar size\speed to Williams. Of course they need someone really fast to cover the guys Cason forgets too, so maybe a different issue there, but finding ways to get ball hawks in the lineup is always good.
  5. LT-Express

Ratings Received:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    That is the huge difference to be honest between the two players. And while they say he will be at FS, I think they will find ways to line him up in many spots to get him as close as possible to the play. And as much of a huge douche Mathieu is, his ball skills, and ability to make plays is far better than Steve Williams.
  6. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    To different animals, size speed have nothing to do with it, The Cardinals have 2 or 3 starting CB's (yes Cason included) Mathieu if you look back at his tapes is all over who ever had the ball, basically climbing all over the player just to take him down. Also the honey badger has played the safety position. I think Williams will be @ the level of Captain Munnerlyn.

You normally want your safety's to be big strong players who can cover WR's, TE's and even RB's. very rarely do you see a successful 5' 8" 180lb saftey.

Mathieu is a hybrid type player, they'll line him up all over the place just to make plays.
  7. LT-Express

Ratings Received:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    lol, what? I'm confused?
  8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    I meant in the first part, just because AZ is putting a 5' 8" 180 lb player at FS doesn't mean everyone needs to do it
  9. LT-Express

Ratings Received:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    lol, ok I got ya. I was reading that going wtf? Hahaha. I said the same thing pretty much in the intial response I put about size.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. MadMike

Ratings Received:
    +430 / 2 / -1
    I getcha, just think we could use as many playmakers on the field as we can and Williams seems to be much better than any SS we have on the roster at this point in time. Wouldn't fit anywhere else other than Nickel.
  11. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +140 / 2 / -0
    theres a good solid 0.01% chance steve williams gets moved to safety
  12. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Bob Sanders.. just saying..
  13. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    are you saying his body won't hold up in the NFL at that size and will continue to be plagued by injuries cutting his career short?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. MadMike

Ratings Received:
    +430 / 2 / -1
    For a 5th round pick? I would take 3 amazing Bob Sanders years for that yep!
  15. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +140 / 2 / -0
    bob sanders was like 210 lbs....
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. MadMike

Ratings Received:
    +430 / 2 / -1
    We can feed the kid some Carne Asada burritos. You cant walk 10 feet in SD without walking past a Mexican joint with good Carne!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
    If anything happens Gilchrist will likely be moved to safety to provide some depth with Wright at #2 and Williams at nickel. Gilchrist has some experience at safety and is more comfortable at the position, he could possibly be slotted at strong safety in the short term.
  18. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9

If he puts on 30 lbs, it will be 30 lbs of fat, and his 40 time will drop to a 5.6
  19. MadMike

Ratings Received:
    +430 / 2 / -1
    Left Tackle then?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Size doesn't matter in the NFL, at some positions.

Bob Sanders was just an example. It's not his size that got him injured so much. He was just simply unlucky. He had nagging foot and knee injuries in college as well. And he put together 2 outstanding NFL seasons; in 2007, he won DPOY and a Super Bowl.

So it's not like his size had to due with any of his injuries. He suffered a majority of the same injuries in college and the NFL, just to an extent, where there was too much mileage on those injured body parts.
  21. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    He does, but he is only a FS, and that's Eric Weddle's position. Gilchrist has the ball skills for FS, but as a SS, I don't know. He would need to become a better tackler.
  22. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +140 / 2 / -0
    I feel like we kind of play our safeties as interchangeable positions, at least that's what I remember hearing from the coaching staff in an interview similar to how both mlb spots in the 3-4 they consider to be interchangeable as well... either way i agree i dont think gilchrist has the safety build to come up in the run game unless our front 7 is so dominant that they keep him clean and he could jus be used as another coverage safety.. what a luxury that would be :inlove:
  23. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    The comparison to Mathieu isn't an accurate one. While both may be "playmakers," Mathieu's tackling technique is much more developed at this point than Williams' is. Greater likelihood is Gilchrist gets shifted back there as he actually has past experience playing in a 2-high safety set while at Clemson.
  24. MadMike

Ratings Received:
    +430 / 2 / -1
    Yah, not the same player. But I am not sold on our SS position right now. Not sure Gilly is enough of a hitter to play SS, not sure Brandon Taylor is going to be healthy enough to start game 1, haven't signed Lynch back, so we are unsettled there. I could see moving Weddle over to SS because I believe he could play the position well, let Williams play FS and hold down the deep coverage. I would rather have him play Nickel and get a true SS in to start, just spit balling ways to get our best ball hawks on the field together.
  25. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings Received:
    +222 / 1 / -1
    Well, we could end up seeing a safety combination of Weddle and Jammer. Q certainly knows how to hit, and has the size too.
  26. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Can also get physical at LOS in the nickel. Wouldn't want him covering a guy like Welker though. But, just saying, he could play a Woodson role here in SD, except a lot cheaper.