1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Steve Williams vs Jason Verrett

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by ssnake86, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132 / 1 / -0
    No, really... he didn't.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/steve-williams?id=2540207

The official time is the one they list. 4.25? Lol...

2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132 / 1 / -0
    Yes that's an unofficial time. Just like how Victor Hampton's first attempt this year was a 4.50, but his official time was a 4.69. Williams' official time was a 4.42.

4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    I know, I was just showing proof to where he may have thought Williams did run a 4.25 and wasn't just pulling a number out of his bum.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,090 / 31 / -0
    VJax is deceptively fast. He runs so smooth for a big man that he doesn't seem to be going that fast. I imagine that VJax's improve in pass catching was due in large part to coaching. I doubt he had top-tier coaches at Northern Colorado.

6. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    No his official time was 4.34.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=89851&draftyear=2013&genpos=CB

I dont know where nfl.com is getting that 4.42 time from(how do you go from a unoffical time of 4.25 and then jump all the way to 4.42?). I said the 4.25 time was his hand timed time, which was changed to 4.34 officially. But just that John Spanso's said they timed him multiple times under 4.30's and were going by their times not the combine ones.

7. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    You don't really coach hands. You stick a guy in front of a jugs machine and make him put in reps. I'm sure that Charlie Joiner coached him up in terms of his technical ability to high-point balls to maximize the benefit of his vertical jump and to snatch the ball out of the air versus basket-catching (though as I recall, VJ wasn't a notorious body-catcher at N. Colorado, he just had a bad habit of stone-handing balls that hit him square in waiting hands). But consistently gripping and fielding the ball is no different than the process a field players go through for baseball - it's about hard work and reps to route hand-eye coordination and muscle-memory (i.e. "secure on contact").

8. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132 / 1 / -0
    They can go by whatever they want. But you can't compare unofficial times and hand times of one player to official times of another. It's invalid. Knowingly or unknowingly, you're trying to compare Verrett's official time to William's unofficial time.

NFL.com has that number because that's his official time. Happens frequently that the official times are significantly slower. If you watched this year, it happened a ton. Here's another link:

http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?f=Steve&l=Williams&i=10383