1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Stuckey Inks new 4-year deal

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltssbbound, Mar 8, 2014.

1. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,063 / 30 / -0
    • Like Like x 3
  2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,140 / 36 / -21
  3. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    This is awesome, once again, great start to the off-season heading into free agency. Want to see the details.
  4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,063 / 30 / -0
    Yes, Stuckey is a special teams ace and a quality backup. I seriously doubt it broke the bank for us to sign him.
  6. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,762 / 47 / -26
    Maybe, Stuckey should be more than just a backup....

This move gives the Chargers more flexibility on defense. The Chargers were at their best on defense when they were in their "Dime defense", aka, 6 defensive backs on the field. Stuckey has the range to play deep safety, and also was the athletic ability to come down and cover slot receivers. He's still only 26, so I'd like to see him continue to develop his awareness, and possibly get a shot at starting alongside Eric Weddle.

Stuckey only finished the season with 8 tackles, but that wasn't really his role this year. He was away from the line of scrimmage and in coverage.

It might seem like I'm overselling Stuckey, but here's how active he was. He was only target 13 times in coverage, and had 4 pass deflections. To put that into perspective, Shareece Wright had 7 pass deflections in 108 targets.
  7. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Going off what Blue stated above, Stuckey will get some rotations in at safety. He played real well down the stretch of the season as well. The play he made on Decker to get his hand in his chest to disrupt that TD pass in the playoffs, ending in a deflection and a Donald Butler INT to close out the half always comes to mind.

And then like you said the ST's aspect of his game and the captaincy. Love that he's been re-signed.
  8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,432 / 19 / -4
    He is a very good special teamer and has earned the right to be in the conversation. I still do like Addae for his hard hitting ability but I remember really liking Stuckey out of the draft and thinking he'd be a starter soon. I think the two of them can be a fine rotation at safety and maybe Stuckey can even give Weddle a breather here and there
  9. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +411 / 7 / -1
    Great news. Delighted for him. A guy that gets it. Put in the work on STs to become a standout there and look at him now. More power to him.
  10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,571 / 44 / -6
    The secondary started to get better in the second half last year and some of the boys looked like they were gaining their legs and just play. It would be great for the club if at least a couple of these dudes would step up and become legit starters.