1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Tackle Olivea loses starting job to Clary

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltssbbound, Nov 29, 2007.

1. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,068 / 30 / -0
    By Jay Posner
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

November 29, 2007
    In what already has been an unusual season, the Chargers yesterday made an unusual move.

They made a change in their starting lineup for reasons other than injury, trade or a reserve (say, Antonio Cromartie) suddenly becoming the league's interception leader, some thing that rarely happens during a season.

Right tackle Shane Olivea, who has started every game but two during his four seasons with the Chargers, was benched in favor of Jeromey Clary, who has started one game.

The move first was made during the second quarter of Sunday's game against Baltimore. But it became official yesterday when the Chargers began practicing for this week's game at Kansas City and Clary worked with the first team. Coach Norv Turner later confirmed the switch.

“Shane struggled early in the game, and Clary went in and played real well,” Turner said. “I thought it gave us a boost. It's just doing the right thing.”

Asked if the move was permanent or just for one week, Turner said, “We'll just see. I hope it's not something we have to change at the end of a quarter, but – it's a competitive situation right now.”

What made the move even more surprising was that less than two years ago the Chargers considered Olivea one of their core players. He signed a long-term contract before the 2006 season that included $7.5 million in bonus money and $2 million in salary over the first two seasons of the deal.

The only bonus in Clary's contract is $6,000 as a workout bonus. His salary is the NFL minimum of $285,000.

Olivea, normally one of the most talkative Chargers, was reticent yesterday.

“I don't want to say the wrong thing, so I'll just say nothing,” he said. “I'm going to continue to work. I'm going to continue to do what's asked of me.”

Olivea, 26, missed all of one game and most of another early in the season with a back injury. He has experienced tightness since but nothing that caused him to miss time.

“It's not a situation where he's been listed as injured or been receiving unusual treatment or that type of thing,” Turner said.

Clary, 24, was on the practice squad last year and did not play tackle in a game until Olivea was hurt in Week 2 against New England. Clary also started the next week at Green Bay. He said he feels much more comfortable now.

“When I got in against New England I was really nervous and I was playing not to mess up instead of just playing,” Clary said. “I feel now I have a little bit more confidence to where I could sit back and play the game and not worry about messing up. I just go out and play.”
  2. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +135 / 1 / -1
    Well o.k. then...all that's left is for Weddle to push Hart or McCree out...
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Electric Chair

Electric Chair New Member

Ratings Received:
    +579 / 0 / -0
    Looks like Olivea was one of the guys LT and Merriman alluded to when they talked about guys collecting checks and not caring. This is great news, other than the wasted $$$ now riding pine.
  4. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings Received:
    +1,011 / 1 / -0
    Shane is a fugging pretty-boy who has obviously not worked hard enough to improve on the field. You don't go from being a cornerstone to riding pine because you try your hardest. I really think this is one of the guys LT was talking about when he was complaining about people showing up to collect a pay check. Get your chit together or quit wasting our cap space.

I don't like to disparage our own players. But Shane has looked like dog chit since week one and I refuse to believe that he just up and forgot how to play football.
  5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    You godddamnn right I did. :yes:

I do not enjoy thumping my chest over this one because it should have been done long long ago. It has hurt this team and the "Chosen One".

And for the fans who want Shane moved inside, well, yall can kiss the ole cacahole as well. :bolt:
  6. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Got say, if we are looking for motivated players, there isn't a better way than giving a young nobody a shot a starting gig. :yes:
  7. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    I can not remember the posters name who was "supremely confident" that Shane Olivea was the supreme ****. That cretin went on to start his own website ilovetobob-onshanesknob.com.

Supremely confident my off white ***. :tdown:
  8. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings Received:
    +886 / 0 / -0
    Shane was never great. But I'm still pissed at that POS Adalius Thomas for purposely injuring his back. I hope karma comes back 10-fold on Thomas.

I'm glad Clary worked his way in. Hopefully we don't fall out of love with him any time soon. Would be great if we have the bookends set on that o-line for years to come.
  9. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +464 / 0 / -0
    It was the dude that started BoltHype.com.

I can't remember his name now either.
  10. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Objects In Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear...

Ratings Received:
    +287 / 1 / -0
    This move was overdue...he has looked like he's going through the motions at times.

Looking at the article it looks like he's none too pleased, but if he is going to pout and be a malcontent, cut him in the offseason if the cap hit isn't horrible (anyone know what it would be?)
  11. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings Received:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    Mruczkowski must really suck if he can't pull a Clary on Mike Goof.
  12. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings Received:
    +219 / 0 / -0
    Heeeeeeeeeeere's your new Right Tackle!

13. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings Received:
    +1,703 / 0 / -0
    :tup:

That play was over when Thomas hit Shane :icon_evil:
  14. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan New Member

Ratings Received:
    +288 / 0 / -0
    I was never a fan of Olivea as a RT, but I do think he would be a better RG :yes: Or put it this way he'd be a better guard than Goff :yes:
  15. Buttmunch

Buttmunch New Member

Ratings Received:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Fuk yeah... at this point, I'd like McCree out of their over Hart.....not that I like Hart that much, but I think he's the weaker of the two.
  16. Buttmunch

Buttmunch New Member

Ratings Received:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Did you see this somewhere or you're just guessing. If it's true....I hope this is the catalyst that will get our O-line to start hitting people in the f'ing mouth on every play. With Hardwick back, I'm looking for some dirty playing from our guys.
  17. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Hopefully this will light a fire under Olivea's *** and we can turn him into a decent RG at some point. I know that Olivea has basically been 10 pounds of **** in a 5 pound bag on the field all year, but Goff is REALLY killing us too. I'm not an Olivea fan, but I think McNeill, Dielman, Hardwick, Olivea, and Clary is probably putting our 5 best linemen on the field. His little T-rex arms would be less of a liability on the inside, and he's shown good run blocking abilities up until this year.
  18. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings Received:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Good, now to fix the RG position. Goff has noticeably regressed so far. We'll see if the Olivea benching improves his play, but up until now I have seen him knocked on his *** way too much. If Scott Mucsshkdksjohhewfkjefsdfaf isn't the answer, than we need to take a RG in the first round. Some giant who will start right away.
  19. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings Received:
    +288 / 0 / -0
    That's why I wanted to draft Grubbs in the 1st last year :yes:
  20. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    He lost it?

I thought he just got injured?
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +347 / 0 / -0
    Olivea was a major disappointment after all the talk about his Merriman style off season program. How much of this is due to Thomas intentionally injuring him is uncertain. The only thing for sure is that he should have been replaced before this. Kevin Acee finally gave Nick Hardwick the props he deserves. The Chargers need to start inserting Olivea into the guard spot in practices to see if he can adapt to the position and whether or not he will work to do it. I have suspected that sitting him next the Hardwick on the line would probably give him the goose he needs. Goff is getting a little long in the tooth for an entire season of starts and he would make some decent depth. As for me, and I suspect, dear Chispa, I want to see Erik Robertson back on the PS. Now, if they'll get off the stick and insert Weddle, things will improve further on the other side of the ball.
  22. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings Received:
    +494 / 0 / -0
    You know, this is beautiful news if Clary continues to hold his own. A part of me feels bad for Olivea, he is a Charger after all. He just wasn't what the team needed him to be.
  23. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,443 / 19 / -4
    Bit surprising but only a bit.
    I think the Chargers are finally realizing what alot of people have been saying since 2005 - Olivea is just not the right size for a RT. At least Olivea's taking it correctly and keeping his mouth shut.

I agree about Goff but I think his veteran leadership would be great on the bench along with Oben. Basically talk to shane about moving him over and let Mrzucowkski take his shot. If Shane doesn't like it, trade him. Must be someone who'd like to take him (heck maybe the Texans or Dolphins). And yeah we might want to look at RGs in the draft or FA. Possible FA guards would include Max Starks (RT/RG), Jake Scott (Colts RG) and Floyd "Pork Chop" Womack (Seahawks)
    • Like Like x 1
  24. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings Received:
    +288 / 0 / -0
    What? good :icon_rofl:
  25. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +347 / 0 / -0
    So, it's Snark Vader, now, is it?
    • Like Like x 1
  26. PowderLove

Ratings Received:
    +494 / 0 / -0
    Yup!:bolt:
  27. PowderLove

Ratings Received:
    +494 / 0 / -0
    Hardwick must be one helluva badass. I love that when asked what he was giving up for the team he said, "nothing." Not that I love a lack of commitment, just that he has balls of steel to say that straight up. I hope Clary will learn the ways of the Nick.
  28. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings Received:
    +1,467 / 0 / -0
    No "thumping" is allowed unless it's Thumper approved. :icon_huh: