1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Take It For What It's Worth-Anschutz To Buy Part Of Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Pointyearedog, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +872 / 5 / -0
    I saw this on PFT, thought it looked interesting.

Report: Anschutz poised to buy 35 percent of Chargers

Posted by Mike Florio on November 30, 2010, 10:29 PM EST

From an unlikely news outlet comes the latest development in the looming push to put an NFL team back in Los Angeles. Veteran Toronto-based sports personality Bob McCown of the Fan 590 reports that Philip Anschutz “has or will purchase” 35 percent of the Chargers.

McCown adds that the move “apparently” will be the first step in a move of the team to Los Angeles.

The report meshes with recent remarks from Chargers special counsel Mark Fabiani, who attempted to throw water on a potential connection between an attempt to sell a chunk of the franchise and the rumors of a possible move of the team to L.A.

“We are concerned,” Fabiani told the San Diego Union-Tribune. “There’s been a confluence, a merging of several different stories, and we’re going to have to work hard to see that people know the real facts.”

But Fabiani added this little tidbit: “If AEG buys a piece of this team, then people have a right to be concerned.”

Anschutz is AEG, and if McCown’s report is accurate, it soon will be time for folks in San Diego to worry about their team moving back to the city where it played its first AFL season.

Pointy :bolt:

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,478 / 19 / -4
    It's a rumor for now, hasn't been confirmed

3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    This is the worst news.

Time to say goodbye to the team.

Fabiani said it himself that if Anshutz buys out Alex Spanos, fans should be concerned.

Damn.

Oh well.

It was a great run.

Bye Chargers.

4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

Say hello to the guy who just stole the team from San Diego and ripped out the hearts out of most of the fans.

5. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37 / 9 / -0
    there will be a lot of new bandwagoners with this move if it happens. Atleast we'll be able to say we were fans before they moved to L.A.

6. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +872 / 5 / -0
    This article made the local news on Channel 6 in San Diego, they just reported it on TV. I would say it's beyond the rumor stage...

Pointy

7. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Maybe you guys can say that, i will say **** the chargers the day they leave, sadly ill be saying bye to the NFL as well when that happens

8. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    Considering a lockout looming, Anshutz could buy out one of the Spanos kids interest at 15% and now the guy owns 51% of the team.

My gut was right. I am glad I did not pay full boat on season tickets just to see the team leave San Diego County.

I am sure a few fans will follow the team to Los Angeles but for me it is over.

It is time to say goodbye to everyone.

Why stick around to watch a dying patient ?

Man oh man.......what a ride. I will check in from time to time but this looks like the final curtain call. Maybe I will catch one more game for old time sake and just to say goodbye to the team for good. Closure.

9. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    Now I am so upset I can not sleep and I have to be up at 5 am. Fuc this noise. I feel like I just lost my best friend. I hate Anshutz.

Hopefully, he buys the team before the season ends and gets introduced to the fans. The dude will get pummeled with trash and beer just like Alex's first day. I was there on that day. That will be a game to attend if it all plays out.

10. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890 / 0 / -0
    Is this Good Bye San Diego Chargers, Hello New England Patriots?

11. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,303 / 12 / -5
  12. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +872 / 5 / -0
    At this point, all it would mean is that there are 4 Spanos owners and one Anschultz owner. It also means that if this influx of new money will help to get a stadium built, now it's a matter of where the dart lands as to where the new stadium will lie. Still, it will be several years before the Chargers leave town and the Q, it does take time to get a new stadium built.

13. Helljumper

Helljumper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    You San Diego fans disgust me!

I'm a Chargers fan, regardless of where they play. If they move to LA, I'm going to be just as supportive of them. Are you guys telling me that if the Broncos moved to San Diego and the Chargers moved to Denver, you'd start cheering for Kyle Orton and you'd boo Phillip Rivers? What does the city where a team plays have to do with the players that you've grown to love and have so many memories of?

14. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80 / 1 / -0
    If you all down there want to keep the team in SD you have to help foot the bill for a new stadium. A new stadium downtown or anywhere brings revenue to the local area in so many ways. Hotels, restaurants, shops, parking tickets, superbowls, and the list goes on. Just take a look at all the city's that have built a new stadium and what has happened in the local areas. I can tell you one thing for sure, losing the Chargers wont help the economy in San Diego.

15. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,214 / 37 / -21
    If they stay the "Chargers", keep their uniforms, and stay in southern California...I will remain a fan.

16. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings:
    +1,607 / 29 / -1
    The worst part about the "Los Angeles" Chargers, if it happens, is many of the hardcore San Diego fan base will jump ship leaving only the bandwagon fans who jumped on when the team started winning (and don't leave if they move) and the new bandwagoners from LA giving full credence to those that say the Chargers only have bandwagon fans and no real fans.

17. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,607 / 29 / -1
    While I wouldn't jump ship I can certainly understand those that would.

A team develops an inherent relationship with the city it plays in, so when it ditches that city it's only natural that many of the fans choose to end the relationship as well.

I'll follow the Chargers wherever they go so long as they don't strip their image completely with a name change, but I think it's also easier for me to do so because I didn't fully grow up in San Diego and I don't even live there anymore so I don't have quite the attachment as many others do to the city.

As for your examples, leaving out the obvious that that would never happen, Yeah...I imagine they would do just that. Do you think the Denver fans are going to start traveling to San Diego 8 times a year because they care more about the team that ditched them for Southern California than the new home team? (The "home" being the key aspect)

As for the "players that you've grown to love and have so many memories of" Those players leave and play for other teams all the time. Did you jump ship when Drew Brees went to New Orleans? Or did you stick around and start rooting for Philip Rivers? Are you a Jets fan now because LT is there? Or are you now rooting for Ryan Mathews to live up to the hype? Ok then.

As Jerry Seinfeld said, we root for the clothing and not the players.

18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,607 / 29 / -1
    That's for sure.

It's definitely one less tourist flying in from Arkansas every year at least.

19. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan Unhappy Camper

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Hell, he arguably shares some responsibility in Michael Jackson's death, moving an NFL team would be nothing to the putz.

I just do NOT see many NFL teams working in LA, certainly not the Chargers. The current demographic identifies with the Raiders and their bad *** image and even old Al wasn't satisfied there. Outside of the Raiders, an expansion team would IMHO have the best chance of success.

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    The spin gin is in full force. We won't know the truth until the deal is done.

I'm sorry for you locals if the team does leave.

21. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    Agree 100%. I will cheer for the Chargers regardless of where they move to. I have a good friend who still kept his loyalty to the Rams even when they moved from LA to St. Louis.

22. Fender57

Fender57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    If they build it next to the Staples Center as part of the LA Live! thing, they will absolutely thrive there. Even the Clippers are thriving there.

23. Fouts

Fouts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +161 / 3 / -0
    Fabiani just issued an electronic mail to the media stating the report out of the Buffalo radio station is false.

That said, it doesn't mean the bolts may not sell to AEG group, and move to LA, but why worry? It is out of our control, unless we put a stadium deal on the ballot.

24. Fender57

Fender57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    This is what Fabiani said about the report from Toronto (not Buffalo):

Conveniently sidesteps whether or not they are in talks.

I agree about "why worry?". The City Council has had years to fix this, we have them to blame if this shakes out.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/nov/30/report-las-phil-anschutz-poised-to-buy-chargers/

25. Fouts

Fouts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +161 / 3 / -0
    I stand corrected on cities/countries, dually noted.

The City Council will not agree to a sweatheart stadium deal, it would be political suicide in this economy.

However, YOU can put together a drive to put Prop S (stadium) on the ballot. Start gathering signitures, while I am on record opposing public financing of a stadium, I will be the first to sign, and vote for it...

26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,607 / 29 / -1
    My dad remained a Rams fan when they moved as well.

27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,607 / 29 / -1
    Letting the Chargers leave would be economic suicide for San Diego, especially in this economy.

Look at what PetCo's done for the downtown area.

28. SDBoltzFan

SDBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    They have the reporter (Mike Allen)on the Scott and BR show that broke the story. He says he has been following the story for a long time, and believes Dean still wants a deal done in SD. He said a buyer could also buy out one of the kids along with the 36% being sold now, and they would control the team. I hope they stay in SD, but my gut tells me different. I am going to catch a few more games this year, because once I find out they are leaving I am done.

29. Fouts

Fouts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +161 / 3 / -0
    I worked a block away from Petco, before it was built, and just a hole in the ground, through two seasons, so I know full well, what kind of developement has happened partly in downtown. The question is, are both the city, taxpayers still in the RED from this investment. It appears, there is major budgetary problems in the City of San Diego. I don't want to get dragged in another argument, I can see both sides, and will do anything to keep them here in San Diego.

30. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,607 / 29 / -1
    That's certainly a legit question. I won't debate further, though.