1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Team needs as i see through the draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by charger1993, Jan 1, 2012.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,140 / 36 / -21
    Big picture....I think he has Ray Lewis like potential, he's a physical freak and he seems to honestly care about winning when he's on the field. And even more I love the idea of him playing next to Takeo Spikes in his rookie year, a wiley vet who could really teach him a thing or two about being a leader and being responsible.

I wouldn't take him at 18, but I wouldn't hesitate at 50. Assuming of course we don't fill this hole in FA, you never know with AJ....
  2. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings Received:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    If he has Ray Lewis Potential i wouldnt hesitate to snatch him at 18, him and butler would be one hell of a tandum
    • Like Like x 1
  3. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    Does this make anyone feel better

"Burfict's hard-hitting style has drawn some comparisons to Ray Lewis, and the Ravens' star spoke to Burfict during the offseason about how to play with aggression and discipline.
    "I just spoke with him about discipline and how you need to make up your mind in life and on the field," Lewis told the Arizona Republic. "Make sure that you are doing the right things to be a productive player and more importantly, a productive person."
  4. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Has anybody seen Tyrann Mathieu or whatever from LSU? Oh my word.. Check this out..

5. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    honeybadger, yea we know
  6. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +236 / 22 / -3
    Oh I love those Oregon Unis. That is what SEATT needs to do with their seapuke green turn it to a dark grey with the neon green that is tight. I herad oregon changed their unis up, but never noticed.
  7. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +120 / 4 / -1
    Yah, i REALLY like the idea of pairing him with Takeo Spikes and turning that over emotion into just a beastmode level like Brian Dawkins/Spikes/Lewis do. All of those guys just go batshit crazy on the field, but are still able to keep their head. He's gotta find the balance between stupid overaggressiveness and playing with no emotion (like he did this year, kinda). And i think if you pair him up with a guy that's been there like Spikes, then he's got a good shot.

And yah that was me. The good thing is that he doesn't really drink/smoke/party that much if at all, so he's MUCH less of a risk than is someone like Janoris Jenkins and all those guys, his problems are strictly on the field. No risk off it.
  8. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +120 / 4 / -1
    How did you not notice the change in the rose bowl????

[​IMG]

vs.

[​IMG]
  9. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +236 / 22 / -3
    I missed alot of the bowl games. Didnt even get to watch my MU Tigers game. They won at least woot!!

I like hte dark better.

Speakin of man I rmemeber the flat black unis the tigers wore for one game... 2 years ago...
  10. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +236 / 22 / -3
    Still lookin... but Im close.

[​IMG]
  11. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +236 / 22 / -3
    I give up all I cna find is a tiny pic of JUST the helmet.

[​IMG]

Wish they would wear these like at every blackout game or somethin.
  12. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +120 / 4 / -1
    Lol, you fail, it took me literally 2 seconds to do this....

[​IMG]

Just typed in "Missouri pro combat uniforms" and this is the first pic to pop up.
  13. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Yes, physical attributes tend to make a great player, but instincts make a player period. Look at Taylor Mays - all the athletic ability in the world, piss poor instincts, and what all is he doing? He's a reserve in Cincinnati that gets little more than Special Teams reps.

It's easy to draw a comparison to Ray Lewis when all that most people see of him are YouTube highlight reels, but when you sit down and watch full games, much less multiple full games, the tape is not his friend because it shows how bad his instincts really are. And instincts are the #1 contributing factor to whether a LB succeeds or fails; and they're not something that can be taught. Take a comparison of Ernie Sims and Will Witherspoon; for years when and after the Lions drafted Sims there were people projecting him to be another Witherspoon (a guy who despite his lack of size was capable of playing any of the three 4-3 LB spots productively - and proved so on the field) because of his athletic ability. Problem was, Sims had crap instincts and was a career underachiever for it. When you factor instincts into Burfict's stock, he's not even half the prospect that Brian Cushing was, let alone Ray Lewis (who had as a prospect and still has to this day some of the best instincts in the business).
  14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,140 / 36 / -21
    As an Oregon native myself, I love all 32 flavors of the ducks uni's..

To hell with people who say they're flashy and trashy, not every team needs to look plain jane like Penn State.
  15. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +236 / 22 / -3
    LOL good for you. I was on the NIKE uniform hunt. I also was tryin to figure out what year was the Kstate game where they wore em. Figured it out by memory it was 2 years ago.

Now I know who to hit up for a inet search at least. :] AND I did find a pic of what I was trying to, the Helmet.
  16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,140 / 36 / -21
    I don't believe he has piss poor instincts, JMO.

He has some lapses when it comes to reading play action and needs improvement in coverage, all coachable, but lets be realistic if he was perfect he'd be going in the top 10. And as I said ealier I wouldn't take him 18 overall.
  17. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +120 / 4 / -1
    Which is why he said that he wouldn't take him at ILB. And I agree.

But His instincts are below average at worst. I've watched quite a few games of his, including watching him live at Oregon, and while his instincts aren't anything special, their not something that is going to absolutely kill him as a prospect. Once again, if he drops to the 2nd, i run away with him and laugh in the faces of all that let him slip that far in the 2nd...
  18. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +120 / 4 / -1
    hahaha. But yah those jerseys are tight. My favorites, and its not even close, outside of Oregon, since i'm biased (i go there), are the West Virginia pro combats....

[​IMG]
  19. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    That much we agree on. The problem is there are so many people out there that look at him purely from the physical ability sense and DO have him as a lock to go Top 15. With the questions surrounding his instincts, his rather large tally of personal foul penalties (though I do agree with one scout whose article I read on Burfict that he developed a sort of James Harrison like reputation at ASU - and began getting targeted by refs and flagged for PI for fouls that if committed by another player on his team likely wouldn't have earned such - though that reputation is his to own... it's not like he didn't earn it to begin with), and enough work ethic/character concerns insomuch that I don't expect his college coaches to speak particularly well of him when consulted by teams scouting Burfict (which they will do... and Dennis Erickson, not being that far removed from being an NFL coach, will likely have his word taken with less of a grain of salt than the prospect's word will be) are enough that I can't say for certain I'd outright consider him, no matter what, at the 49th overall selection (I'd have to see who else was on the board).

I also have some reservation about moving him to OLB - and admittedly I want to go back and watch more tape before I render final judgment on this aspect - because it always looks to me like he was guessing far too much on the snap-count rather than trusting his burst and explosion. Which is a concern because if he's going to be used as a primary pass-rusher then he's would stand a good chance to be an offsides/encroachment-magnet until that issues was coached/matured out of him (if it could be at all).
  20. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +236 / 22 / -3
    Deffinatly gotta go with the top one. Not sure if its jus that player or what, but he needs a better fitting helmet... He looks like Rick Morranis in Spaceballs with that Gigantor lid. Silver feather wings look pretty cool.
  21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Regarding Burfict ..... piss-poor instincts is a bit over the top. Average at best - his athletic ability allows him to look dominant at times at the college level. At the next level he'll need to improve. As I said earlier, his willingness to be "coached up" & to put in the film room time will tell a lot about his chances for success.

Maybe Kuechly falls for some odd reason. HIGH football IQ, great fundamentals, reads well. I would take him at 18 in a heartbeat provided we don't have to rebuild our entire OL.
  22. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    If Jerry Franklin is still around come the 3rd round I'd take him in a heartbeat.. probably one of the most underrated LBs coming into the draft.. he's all over the field, can play OLB/DE and also play ILB were he played most of this 2011 season and is just a tackle monster...

If we do draft him most likely he will play OLB.. He fits ILB in the 4-3

checkout http://walterfootball.com/draft2012ILB.php - good database for the draft
  23. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Franklin has a low 3rd - mid 4th grade IMO. I could see spending a 4th if he lasts.

As for WalterFootball - LOL. A lot of general info but I wouldn't put any stock in his prospect ratings. There are FAR better sources out there.
  24. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    its not bad.. I don't agree with everything they say but I think its a pretty decent/good database for the draft..
    • Like Like x 1
  25. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I went over this last season, Walter Cherepinksy (the "Walter" of WalterFootball) is the paint-by-numbers talent eval guy among the draft analyst community. Literally, the guy just started writing a blog about 7 years ago and people just assumed after 3-4 years that he must know what he's talking about if he's been around that long - and his ego has gotten massively out of control as a result of it.

He provides the most grossly general descriptions and breakdowns of players so as to hedge his bets as best as possible, intentionally doesn't update often so that he doesn't back up whether or not he's actually watching tape regularly on these prospects, and he seems to lack a quality understanding of various pro level schemes, and again just generalizes and pigeonholes to death with regard to a player's actual "fit".

Personally, I prefer to follow individual scouts' blogs - guys I know are actually actively watching tape and who actually do go to, and interview and scrutinize prospects at, the Senior Bowl and Shrine games. Tom Melton is one. Andy Hart is another (the infamous "PatriotsDraftGuru" at NEPatsDraft.com). Dan Kadar at mockingthedraft.com. Rob Rang at CBSSports.com. These guys actually break down specifics that are important to understanding and projecting how well a prospect can translate to the pros, or more specifically specific pro systems and schemes.
    • Like Like x 1
  26. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    CBSsports.com is what i use to do my scouting to. i go to walter to see who has what picks
  27. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Yeah I visit CBS every once in a while, I wasn't saying he was the best out lol.. I don't agree on everything he has up there but it isn't too too bad, just gives you general knowledge, like you said and also provides you with some pretty accurate stats...
    • Like Like x 1
  28. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    I also like Scott Wright & Shawn Zobel.
  29. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I completely forgot about Zobel. And I shouldn't because I love him for his realism - he doesn't inflate a guy's ability or get caught too much in the hype. If a guy doesn't have the ceiling to be a high pick he's simply going to tell it like it is and not project him to be one.
  30. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    I'm thinking we draft Courtney Upshaw after his performance tonight..