1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Team needs as i see through the draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by charger1993, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    He certainly didn't hurt his draft stock any.
  2. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +236 / 22 / -3
    Can we talk about anything BUT our 1st round pick or OLBs?? How bout Safety in the third??

Since our 1st is taken, what about Harrison Smith in the 3rd or 4th?? His #s are about identical to Barron, but he will be available later on.

Winston Guy also looks like a good pickup around 4-5th.
  3. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    If we haven't signed anyone other than Gregory or Oliver back by the time the draft rolls around, I wouldn't be shocked to see us use our 2nd on a safety (especially with the fact that our system uses more of a multi-function safety and not a pure SS that doesn't have the hips to run with TE's/slot WR's or the ability to play last line of defense). With the depth of this class dwindling with less and less underclassmen declarations (Bacarri Rambo's going back, Robert Lester's going back, etc.), I wouldn't be shocked to see Markelle Martin (top S in the class) come off the board in the Top 10 of the 2nd which could start a run.

Also, much as we'd like him to, unless AJ really has turned over a new leaf, we won't see him draft an OL before the 3rd. Aaron Henry in the 2nd is a possibility (probably a bit of a reach, but not without his upside). Trumaine Johnson may boost his stock by then, though I doubt given the level of competition he's faced that it'll push him to mid-2nd; Louis Delmas coming out of Western Michigan and still playing D-1 programs is one thing, Johnson coming out of Montana and playing in D-2's best program is still facing D-2 competition. I could even see taking a chance on someone like Stephon Gilmore who is really no man-coverage corner (unless it's off-man) at the next level (he's a strictly zone guy or else a safety); not sure I love how raw his is, but his potential is immense if coached well.

I like Harrison Smith a lot too, probably more than Illoka because I feel as though he has better instincts - and he's more multi-tool than Illoka is. He'd pair well with Weddle as well because both are intelligent guys and smart safeties. The thing that's really going to have an effect on his stock is his timed speed (rather than his pure 40 , it'll be his 10-yard split and his recovery speed).
  4. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +236 / 22 / -3
    Just reminded me I was wondering about the off season schedule and when the FA signing period begins/ends and when the Combine would be this year.

Funny I thought I would find the list on a pats site like every year, but this year it was GB who had the list first.

http://www.bleed-green.com/blog/?p=12470

• January 21: NCAA’s East-West Shrine Game
    • January 28: Regional scouting combine at Orange Coast College’s LeBard Stadium/NCAA’s Senior Bowl
    • February 4: Regional scouting combine at Reliant Stadium
    • February 11: Regional scouting combine at Baltimore’s Owings Mills Facility
    • February 18: Regional scouting combine at Tampa Bay’s One Buccaneer Place
    • February 22-28: Scouting Combine at Lucas Oil Stadium
    • February 25: Regional scouting combine at New York’s Atlantic Health Training Center
    • March 3: Regional scouting combine at Chicago’s Halas Hall
    • March 5: Deadline to sign free agents designated with franchise/transition tag contracts
    • March 10-11: Regional scouting combine at Atlanta’s Flowery Branch Headquarters Complex
    • March 13: Free agency begins at 4 p.m. ET
    • March 17: Regional scouting combine at Cleveland’s Browns Training and Administrative Complex
    • March 25-28: Annual NFL owners’ meetings at Palm Beach, Florida
    • March 30-31: “Super-regional” scouting combine at Detroit’s Ford Field
    • April 16: Players able to begin offseason workout programs
    • April 26-28: 2012 NFL Draft at New York’s Radio City Music Hall
    • May 12-14: Rookie minicamp begins
    • May 22-24, May 30-June 1, June 4-7, June 12-14: Organized Team Activities/minicamp
  5. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    It's local enough (like a half-hour drive). I think I might go to the Regional Scouting combine at OCC on the 28th just for S&G's.
  6. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Courtney Upshaw played great against LSU and deff raised his stock, most updated mocks have him going top 15.. so looks as if Nick Perry will be the guy we most likely select..

Upshaw is more of a reach for us, he's a more southern guy, and I don't believe the Chargers organization would select him to represent our team.. Which is sad because our picks should really be determined on talent and attitude, you saw his MVP speech he gave credit to his defense, which resembles a team player and I think he would be a better fit then Perry because of his versatility and could bring a different aggression to our Defense and the attitude would be great as well, a hard hitting linebacker and pass rusher is really what is needed.. Upshaw is also more experienced in college and I believe he plays better competition then Perry..

Were also not a SEC type drafting team, only players we've drafted from that conference is Jacob Hester and Marcus McNeill, and I believe that is the most competitive conference for football..
  7. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    And Demetrius Byrd (LSU)... and BusteD Davis (LSU)... and Wesley Britt (Bama)... and Brandon Siler (Florida)... and Tyronne Green (Auburn)... and Jonathan Crompton (Tennessee). Just because we haven't hit home runs on the guys we have drafted from that conference doesn't mean we've neglected drafting from it. In fact, up until last year it was tied for the 3rd or 4th most drafted-from conference in CFB under the AJ regime.

What it ultimately comes down to is that Perry has a higher ceiling than Upshaw, and unless he falls over his own feet at the combine, will likely get drafted before Upshaw on a account of it. Upshaw has a higher floor but a lower ceiling; Perry is more raw but has a considerably higher potential to be a "playmaker" type defender because of his superior physical gifts in comparison to Upshaw. We don't shy away from "southern" guys either. Rivers went to NC State but he's from Alabama, Green's from Florida, Hester's from Louisiana, Tolbert's from Georgia... that pretty much covers the entire southern panhandle just on our offense.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,432 / 19 / -4
    Don't remember if it was in this or another thread but Jonathan Massaquoi out of Troy will enter the NFL draft
  9. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +120 / 4 / -1
    I'm a fan of his. He's gonna put up some great workout numbers, but he's a bit more raw than some of the others, but still has very good potential. He would be a great option if we decided to go with a FA starting SOLB like Ahmad Brooks, Quentin Groves or Mark Anderson. He's one of the few other SOLB's that i like outside of Perry/Upshaw in the first. He's got that big Merriman upside and that kind of athleticism. I'd honestly like to see him even lose some weight to get down to 265 or even a little below, to play the OLB position.
  10. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +236 / 22 / -3
    MAN siler is still my GUY!! Perry>Upshaw.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings Received:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    i think that is agreed but im willing to bet we reach and take a OLB like bruce irvin or andre branch... no wait them players have to big of a name. go with vinny curry in the first
  12. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +236 / 22 / -3
    You never can tell with AJ:
    • Like Like x 1
  13. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +604 / 11 / -4
    http://www.optimumscouting.com/draf...es.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
  14. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +236 / 22 / -3
    Nice site. Been wondering about askin who uses what when it comes to home scouting. I just found this forum a while ago, but here is poppin up with something relevant. Prob gonna be one of my new goto draft sites.

Of course I am way behind the modern mortal technology-wise, so most if not all of you prob already know this one:

http://www.the-mainboard.com/
    Old posts, but alot of content and some LONG highlight vids.
    http://www.the-mainboard.com/index....draft-updated-for-b-irvin.91661/#post-4701665

AH figured it out, you need to search since its old threads. Just search 2012 dissecting and should be able to find all of the position threads.
  15. Navybolt

Navybolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 4 / -0
    New owner, new General Manager and new Coach plus a load of new players...