1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Telesco made contact, but Fluker is no hit

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Apr 26, 2013.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    D.J. Fluker has the longest arms in this year’s NFL Draft. Chargers General Manager Tom Telesco’s are significantly shorter.

This was made particularly apparent Thursday night. The Bolts' first-round pick feels like a bit of a reach.

There is no disputing that San Diego's most glaring shortcomings lie in its offensive line. Pass rushers didn't need more than one Mississippi before swarming Philip Rivers' last year.

But in a draft in which five of the first 10 selections weigh a combined 1,540 pounds, Fluker seems like less of a score and more of a settlement.

The Chargers, after all, aren’t so much a donut as they are a slice of Swiss cheese. There is certainly more than one hole to fill.

With that 11th pick, they could have nabbed D.J. Hayden at cornerback, defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson, or fellow DT Star Lotulelei – each of which ranked higher than Fluker on copious mock draft boards, and all of which would have addressed San Diego’s needs.

Nonetheless, the Bolts’ stuck with the big fella, who's coming in with even bigger expectations.

“He’s powerful and he’s nasty on the field, but he’s also underrated as an athlete,” said Telesco, overseeing his first draft as an NFL GM. “He blocked a lot of great pass rushers in the SEC for three years. These guys are hard to come by.”

Perhaps.

Scouting NFL talent is a little bit like playing poker. Skill plays a significant role in success, but there is always – always – an element of chance.

This wasn’t a disastrous pick like the Raiders taking JaMarcus Russell, the Raiders taking Todd Marinovich, or the Raiders taking Darrius Heyward-Bey. But it still comes with some risk.

Fluker is not a left tackle, and according to Telesco, is not going to become one. This means Rivers’ blind side is still unprotected, and as long as that stays the case, the Chargers’ offense will stay unproductive.

But then again, there wasn’t elite left tackle left on the board, the Chargers have just one nose tackle under contract (Cam Thomas), and with that Alabama pedigree, Fluker may just end up as the steal of the draft.

Which would be fun, because this is a certainly a guy you can root for.

Originally from New Orleans, Fluker and his family were forced to move to Biloxi, Mississippi because of Hurricane Katrina, and then later Mobile Alabama. But that didn’t seem to traumatize him much. Seems the only thing wider than the 22-year-old’s body is his grin.

Fluker isn’t the kind of guy to let pass rushers touch his quarterback, but he’ll leave his teeth exposed all day. Thursday night, he charmed the media with quotes that may have lacked eloquence, but were made up for with enthusiasm.

He said that the football field is his “playground” and that he “wants to be the Ray Lewis of the offensive line.”

He added that he “will never stop working” and wants “to prove something to the world.”

Well, maybe start by proving something to San Diego.

Bolts fans shouldn’t be mad about the first day of the draft, but they shouldn’t be teeming with joy, either. Ideally, the Chargers would have traded down to get more picks and help beef up their entire roster, and if they couldn’t pull that off, select more of an impact player.

Granted, it was a little rough that the top five offensive linemen – Eric Fisher, Luke Joeckel, Lane Johnson, Jonathan Cooper and Chance Warmack – all disappeared before the Chargers could snatch them up. It seemed like they had their hearts set either an offensive guard or a tackle, and like a car buyer who couldn’t swing the Porsche, Mercedes, or Lexus, settled for the Honda when waiting a year may have been more prudent.

We’ll see, though.

The Chargers took a chance with Fluker Thursday. But it's only fair to give him a chance, too.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013...ers-fluker-telesco-draft/?page=2#article-copy
  2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,532 / 7 / -2
    LOL bashing the pick then finishing up w/ this gem:

Oh UT you so crazy :rolleyes:
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,689 / 39 / -8
    How did they take a chance, any more than anyone else? A the point he was drafted he had the highest draft grade of the offensive linemen left. The next OL taken (By the giants) fell 12 or 13 points in the draft grade.

He is big, has long arms and is an excellent run blocker. Things we need. Where is the big 'chance' (insert Warmack jokes here)?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    With every very pick you are a chance. :coffee:
  5. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,689 / 39 / -8
    So long as they dont draft someone from Miami we are 'aight.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Come on! Just one player! That is all I am asking.
  7. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,689 / 39 / -8
    Do they have a water boi?;)
  8. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Not anymore... he was arrested. :p
  9. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,689 / 39 / -8
    Doesnt Miami have their own greenroom for daft prospects. It has bars around it, and the players wear Miami orange jumpsuits? :p
    • Creative Creative x 1
  10. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,532 / 7 / -2
    You guys missed the best part:

CHAMPIONSHIP!

LMFAO :roflmao:
  11. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
  12. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    Um...Chargers were in an ugly hole...a dire need, and despite their best draft position in many years,
    all the true blue-chippers already snapped up...would I have gone Fluker at that point?
    Probably not, but, just the same, for us Lifers--at this point--do we really have much choice
    but to "give him a chance" ?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. gonzokrb

gonzokrb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +16 / 1 / -0
    Opinions are like A-holes, almost everybody has one. Considering the run on the big men, Tommy T. did the right thing. With Fluker at RT we can get rid of the "Turnstile" Clary and save some cap money. I would love to see Dielman come in and couch up Troutman. Harris came in as a rookie and had "some "success. Strong RG play could make him look like Marcus McNeil. There are some decent OL choices in the later rounds! BEEF, BEEF, BEEF!
  14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,424 / 19 / -4
    Our offensive line currently averages 320 with Hardwick Dunlap troutman and rhinehart. Big honking OL and Telesco with most of his board destroyed still managed to do something we had been screaming to do for five years, replace clary
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    I won't believe it until I see it. :laugh:
  16. Lightning_Dynasty

Lightning_Dynasty Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +288 / 7 / -1
    Seriously, this guy's attitude might be my favorite thing about him. I'm willing to give him a chance to develop into that Ray Lewis of the offensive line, if only because of his personality.
  17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Wouldn't he have to kill someone 1st? :p
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    First and foremost I would like to apologize for my actions last night, I saw Red, I think many were feeling just like me.
    Now having said that, We should just draft line men from here on out, have them build a wall around Rivers, Sure we won't score any points due to having 10 guys protecting Rivers but he won't get sacked either
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,689 / 39 / -8
    Props for that. Though it is not necessary IMHO. You should have seen me when we drafted Cromartie. A player who palyed a handful of college games, had off the field problems etc... I ranted and raved for weeks. When camps started I backed him. One of his first camps I snapped this picture:
    [​IMG]

I started to see why we took him. Then he went total douche and made me regret liking him... But who knows, this kid Fluker might have a bright career ahead of him, he might tank. That is the gamble of the draft.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    DJFluker76@DjFluker76
    2h

Leaving New York coming to see you all. Looking Forward to coming back to NEW York for the "SUPER BOWL" happy to be a CHARGER..!!!!!!!

Everywhere I read it says Fluker is a big, strong kid who loves football and will do anything to help his team out, just don't ask him to help with your taxes, in other words

He may be a big dumb r#$%^d (don't want to offend anyone)
    but he's our big dumb R#$%^D!!!!!!
  21. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21
    And what if they said they LOVED the pick before the guy ever plays a snap? Would you consider that crazy? Somehow I doubt it.

Please enlighten me on the book of draft pick etiquette as layed out by RTL, I'd like to know if we are not allowed to voice opinions on any player before he's played in the NFL And what is the limit before we can have an opinion? 1 season? 2? 3?
  22. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21
    The question is...did he replace Clary with a larger Clary?

I think Fluker will be a great run blocker, I have no doubt Ryan Mathews should be doing back flips, but does he have the quickness to keep up with a guy like Von Miller in obvious passing situations?

JMO but I'm down on the pick, I think he needs to lose at least another 10 pounds and D'Allessandris needs to live in his house for a week to work on how to bend properly.
  23. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,689 / 39 / -8
    I see why you would ask, and state that. But just like with Mathews, we don't know what we got until game time. To assume he will be a bust because we don't like him, or he wasn't on our mock is your right, but he has the potential to go either way, star or bust. I prefer to hope we got a star, who can be taught to be a better pass blocker. Can anyone argue we needed improved run blocking over the last 3 seasons?
  24. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    I also expect Phillip Tanner to live with Fluker on the right side at least for a year, until they teach Fluker how to pass protect better. Having that 6th lineman could help out a lot
  25. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21
    Nobody is assuming anything bud, just creating an initial positive or negative opinion based on what we've seen of him.

I would say "I'll give him a chance" but thats kind of a stupid thing to say, as if any of us have the power to keep the guy from playing. :roflmao: He'll get his chance to prove fans and media wrong, and I hope he does.
  26. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,701 / 45 / -26
    They'll move him to guard, just to spite us. :D
    • Agree Agree x 1
  27. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    Based on tape I have watched the dude is a mauler in run blocking. But he has little to no short area quickness, or lateral agility, and gets beat on the regular off the edge. He will look great when he is being bullrushed and is able to anchor because of his size, arm length and overall strength. But the likes of Tamba Hali, and Von Miller scares the daylights out of me with him on the right side.

I am not in war rooms obviously, nor do I get to see as much as scouts see on the field so I am sure there is a lot that I am missing. And it is just an opinion. But based on his tape I have seen Ryan Mathews will be loving this guy, Phillip Rivers wont be as excited. Hopefully we can teach him to be a better pass protector off the edge, and we will have a pretty good ROT, or more likely RG.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +141 / 2 / -0
    I was mad about this pick originally but as I saw the 1st round play out I just felt better and better about the pick as I saw the o lineman the giants, bears, and cowboys got
  29. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings Received:
    +1,558 / 11 / -0
    This wasn't the pick I was hoping for, but like I said on the podcast last night, my greatest hopes were dashed when Lane Johnson went off the board. Reading up on Fluker, I think he has some serious potential and hopefully he proves all of our doubts wrong. I'm looking forward to seeing how the rest of the draft shakes out for us and what kind of UDFA pick-ups we get.

For all of the concerns with Fluker, there are things to like. Namely his attitude, work ethic and passion for the game. He comes from a solid program and by all accounts is a great teammate and leader. Plus, I think his slimmed down physique (he's still pretty beefy - yay! - but 20-30lbs would make a big difference in agility for anyone) and he'll will be working with our new OL coach, both which will only help him be who we need him to be.

Lots of drafting left to be done and there's ALWAYS solid talent that comes from the mid-rounds that end up being a great value in the long run.

matilack, As always, I mean this in the nicest possible terms :) I hope you have to eat a BIG *** bowl of crow on this one. We shall see...
  30. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +225 / 8 / -3
    Bud .... is that a term of endearment or your usual disdain for anyone who doesn't meet your assessment of football IQ or agree with you, matilack?

You're a disagreeable, condescending little bitch, aren't you? :roflmao:
    • Agree Agree x 1