1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Telesco made contact, but Fluker is no hit

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings Received:
    +1,530 / 10 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings Received:
    +220 / 1 / -1
    He is a BIG dude, and I have confidence that he will be a very good RT for us. I am a little disappointed that other OL prospects who might have represented better value weren't there at #11, but it is what it is, I've had nearly a full day now to come around to the idea of Fluker being our guy. lol
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,332 / 35 / -15
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    Dude is he wearing tennis shoes with a suit? lol dude you should have just came :barefoot:
  5. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Back to the Alethiometer..

Ratings Received:
    +946 / 2 / -2
    Conc, I spent a good part of today talking about Chargers v/s the draft with folks who know a lot more of football than I ever will... Speaking of Cro, it seemed our Front Office got kinda hung up on "freakish" athletes after drafting Merriman - with Cromartie they must have recognized he was bit of a freak mentally too, (remember him trying on again/off again between the draft and his collegiate eligibility?).

Yesterday we drafted the best ORT available. I cannot/shall not/will not believe he was the best player available - rather he was - by their board - the best O-Lineman available, a position of desperate need. Having said that, he is already a freakish talent that should only get better with experience at this level - and he should be a solid road grader for the Bolts for the next 8 - 10 years barring injury.

Given the, now 2 year old, rookie pay scale - this may turn out to be the best possible move in the long run but it flies in the face of what we are "used to seeing" at the top of the draft... (It certainly didn't meet MY expectations). The NFL has changed drastically with that last CBA and our, (at least MY), thinking needs to change along with it.

Been watching the Chargers since the old AFL days starting in 1960 - and the NFL even longer. We have NEVER seen OLTs go with the 1st and 2nd pick of any draft before - we certainly not seen the top 3 OLTs go in the first 4 picks before. I'm still trying to get over no RB being picked yesterday and hell - look at the lack of Linebackers taken on day one... How about the low number of skill players in general? ONE QB? Wow....

Its a new game, a new draft, and I certainly wasn't ready to watch what I saw yesterday. I'm a fargin dinosaur - but think I'll be a bit more ready or this kind of stuff next year. <sigh>

Time to go watch Day 2 and learn some more new stuff I guess. :tup:
    • Like Like x 1
  6. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +50 / 2 / -1
    I must admit, when I saw the Chargers had selected Fluker I was like "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" but once I accepted that the pick was made and did some more research on the latest Charger Lineman, I am starting to warm to him...even get a little excited about what we might possibly have!

To build the perfect Offensive Lineman you need a great physical presence with the technique and temprement to match. Well, Fluker definately has the physical prowess! The guy is massive with loooong arms and on some of the tape I watched, he just flat out mauled people!

The big question will be does he have the attitude, motor, football-nouce to make the most of his physical tools?

I think he does. Alot of the articles and player analysis I've read speaks exactly about some of these intangible qualities. They say he has a child-like enthusiasm for the game. He calls the football field his "playground"! He loves football, he has passion and best of all desire to be the best he can be. He also apparently has a high-motor on him and one analysis I read said that he plays with 110% right throughout 4 quarters.

Put all these things together and maybe it isn't that hard to see what Telesco and the rest of the team saw in Fluker. Even if you have doubts about the pick, Fluker at least deserves the benifit of the doubt and the time to see what he can do. Plenty of top draft picks that were considered "can't-miss" types ended up "missing" big time! Transversley guys that nobody thought would make a big impression...did make an impression!

Either way, its going to be fun finding out what we got. Roll on day two! I can't wait to see howour whole draft comes together.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +625 / 39 / -9
    Great, we drafted a slow LB who can't find his imaginary g/f.
  8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,526 / 7 / -2
    I know you're busting chops, but I'll bite.

I was joking and you know it. Also if you can't see the inherent irony of the article then you should brush up on your reading comprehension, nothing but judgement than casing with a "we shouldn't judge" type of comment is f'n hilarious.

I have said it a million time and I'll say it again, I give them all 3 years before I crucify a draft pick (unless they go full retard mode ala Kiel).
  9. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,015 / 33 / -20
    They call this move the Blue Bolt back pedal.
  10. Ride The Lightning

Ratings Received:
    +1,526 / 7 / -2
    How in the hell am I back pedaling??? I LED MY POST WITH A LOL YOU MORON.

Horrible reading comprehension CONFIRMED.
  11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,015 / 33 / -20
    "LOL" can be construed in a multitude of ways, how am I supposed know if you're joking or just laughing for emphasis.

I took your post to mean you were ripping on the UT for being less than ecstatic about the draft pick....which I find asinine. If you did not mean it to come out that way then I apologize for comparing you to Blue Bolt.
  12. Ride The Lightning

Ratings Received:
    +1,526 / 7 / -2
    Apology accept Captain Needa.

I was merely pointing out the hypocrisy of the article. You of all people should know by now that I am a jokester.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,015 / 33 / -20
    I do, but I'm not a big texter so I'm not great at deciphering the context of LOLZ UFL IMHO WWERAW yadda yadda....
  14. Ride The Lightning

Ratings Received:
    +1,526 / 7 / -2
    For future reference, when someone leads with LOL it means they are laughing at whatever it is they follow the LOL with

For example, LOL raiders
  15. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,576 / 42 / -26
    What is obvious to all, is that sarcasm and humor are totally foreign to you.

Sorry Matty, when I said "all", I didn't mean to include you. :laugh:
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,015 / 33 / -20
    Clearly. LOL dumb ***.

Decipher that as you choose, of course I could be joking....
  17. Ride The Lightning

Ratings Received:
    +1,526 / 7 / -2
    I can, you are laughing at him for being a dumb @ss.

See how easy it is? :D
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,015 / 33 / -20
    Well Raiders is a team we all hate, that one is obvious.

But there are quite a few fans here who are completely against having an opinion other than "Telesco had him high, so he must be good."

You see my predicament? Its hard for me to know whether LOL = jk or if you're just laughing for the sake of it.
  19. Ride The Lightning

Ratings Received:
    +1,526 / 7 / -2
    Of course I understand both sides of the argument, I just wish people didn't get so hung up on being right all the time. I was enjoying yours and Viennasausage's exchanges yesterday, thanks for the lols.

Fwiw I don't think you're as crazy as everyone else does. :D
    • Funny Funny x 2
  20. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,332 / 35 / -15
    No doubt, next eulogy I'm forced to deliver, I invoke the classic: "...just laughing for emphasis..."
  21. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,015 / 33 / -20
    If I was as crazy as everyone thought I would surely be too crazy to realize it soooo....thanks?:confused:
  22. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,576 / 42 / -26
    You might finally be catching on. ;)
    • Funny Funny x 2
  23. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +752 / 5 / -0
    Going through these posts to find the real meat to this thread is like a bum going through a trash can just to find a plastic soda bottle. Aside from the caca media's perception of what our new GM and staff have done with this first draft, what do you Bolts fans really think? Is the guy taking care of this team's biggest needs?
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +191 / 6 / -3
    I don't think you're going to find the clear answer you seek from asking that here.
  25. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +752 / 5 / -0
    ^^^ Of course I probably won't, but I figured that it is still worth the old college try.
  26. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +191 / 6 / -3
    Quickly - 3 high-floor guys who are likely Day One starters at areas of need. Perhaps not the HIGHEST area of need, but they'll fit & upgrade their positions.
  27. LT-Express

Ratings Received:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    My take is that we will still be shoveling up Rivers off the turf like roadkill. Just saying.
  28. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +191 / 6 / -3
    I don't think so. We're gonna do better against inside pressure where rivers can step up. And he isn't going to be stuck with 7-step drops.
  29. LT-Express

Ratings Received:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    I need to see it to believe it from Troutman, and Rinehart is not a downgrade from Vasquez. So I do believe the inside pressure will still be there. Fluker a mauling run blocker but terrible in pass blocking situations.

It will be interesting to see.
  30. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,332 / 35 / -15
    Dang...an earnest post like that deserves a decent (humble attempt at an) answer:

Well, Pointy, like quite a few here, I was initially pretty disappointed. Just bad luck for the Chargers:
    the year they desperately need a franchise LT, and have the best draft position (#11) they've had in
    about a decade, everyone else grabs just what we need. Fluker is huge...and seems to have a great
    attitude. So a lot of fans seem to be warming to him. And obviously, I want this to be a great pick.

But, at the end of the day, in my book, when a team cashes in it's precious first round pick--hell, the first
    half of the first round (even more precious!)--for an offensive lineman, damn, that guy has to be awesome...
    a clear-cut blue-chipper...no doubts...as sure a thing as can be in the NFL. And when I see Fluker's lack of foot speed,
    I just don't see a Joeckel-type "can't miss" lineman. So, yes, I'm still a bit disappointed at what
    we got, given that it's the 11th overall pick in the draft. Of course, now that he's wearing Bolts, I'd LOVE to be wrong.

(p.s. because the title was about Fluker, I was initially thinking you were just asking about him...
    as far as Te'o, it seems unlikely to me that his play can overshadow the circus...and I think we needed the 4th we gave up. I'm a Golden Bear, so of course I love Keenan Allen, and he's a great value...but again, did Telescopo really need to get us a 10th receiver? I realize that I sound a bit negative, but I do think Te'o & Fluker should be on the field right away...Keenan will depend on the timing of Floyd's first injury)