1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Te'o has surgery on broken foot

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,771 / 47 / -26
    So much for a "foot sprain".......

Manti Te'o has foot surgery
    Chargers linebacker was sidelined three games in September
    By Michael Gehlken
    3:41 P.M.JAN. 28, 2014

Manti Te'o missed the first three games of his rookie season with a foot injury.

It appears the ailment didn't go away entirely.

The Chargers linebacker had surgery this month, a team spokesman said Tuesday. The official spoke in response to an Instagram account that leaked a foot surgery occurring last week, although the spokesman said he could not confirm the account's authenticity.

The social media page, which claims to be Te'o's, posted an X-ray of a right foot that appears to have a plate with four screws inserted near the middle toe. A second photo shows a right foot in a cast, resting atop an apparent hospital bed.

"Surgery went well. Thanks for all the prayers!" one caption read. "Can't wait to heal up and get on my grind! #blessed."

"Broke my foot in the beginning of the season and finally got it fixed," another caption read. "Thank you Heavenly Father for these doctors."

On Aug. 8, Te'o suffered a right foot injury in the Chargers' exhibition opener against the Seahawks. Coach Mike McCoy officially called the injury a sprain, declining to specify when during the game it occurred.

Te'o, a 2013 second-round draft pick, spent weeks in a protective boot. After only nine preseason defensive snaps, he made his regular season debut Sept. 29 versus the Cowboys.

It is unclear to what extent, if at all, the foot injury limited him during the year. :cautious:He started in all 15 of the final games, including two in the postseason, and made 71 tackles with four passes defensed. He exited a Jan. 12 playoff loss to the Broncos with a concussion, suffered when a teammate collided with him.

In college, Te'o played in all 51 games at Notre Dame. He turned 23 on Sunday.
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,446 / 19 / -4
    Wonder how much this affected his rookie year
  3. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    I want to say it did, but he had similar struggles this year that he did in college, and he also was "guessing" on plays a lot this year, instead of trusting his instincts.

Hopefully he comes back and stays healthy.
  4. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +226 / 8 / -4
    Gump, you're a goddamned genius.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Dont make me get the Meatloaf!
  6. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +132 / 1 / -0
    His biggest issue this year was playing tentative. He wasn't attacking blockers or shooting gaps with authority. It got better as the year went on, and to a certain extent that's just part of the process of a rookie getting his feet wet in the NFL, but it's also common behavior in players who are trying to perform through an injury. There's a constant, nagging instinct to protect yourself from further harm. Getting past that instinct and his overall comfort level with the speed of the game is probably why we saw him improve down the stretch. I think it's reasonable to expect a big jump from him in year two.

I'd like to add (not to you, but just at large) a giant middle finger to all the ignorant, impulsive, instant gratification brats on Chargers messages boards that I read all year moaning about what a bust Te'o is. Even without this, their premature declarations were ridiculous because he was a rookie playing at a level that was about league average. And then you throw in an injury that no one was aware of, and it's amazing that he played as well as he did. Stupid people bother me.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,771 / 47 / -26
    And yet, you frequent this forum...... curious.

[​IMG]
  8. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +132 / 1 / -0
    This forum is a Geneva summit compared to some others.
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,575 / 44 / -6
    That would have been very tough to play through, top of the foot and near the ankle. Any time he tried to push off with his toes would have been excruciating and I ain't even talking playing football.
  10. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Way too early to label him a bust. Guy missed 3-4 games and got 8 snaps in pre-season. He's just showing what I was concerned with when he was coming out.

But, if people really think we don't need a quality back up at ILB like a Wesley Woodyard or Joe Mays, who can step in when guys like Te'o and Butler (assuming he's re-signed) have to tend to a nagging injury (foot for Te'o, groin for Butler) are blind.
  11. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,771 / 47 / -26
    That's very sad indeed. ;)
  12. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +255 / 17 / -2
    There are no Summit's in Geneva! I've been to Geneva several times and I saw no Summits. In fact the highest Summit in the Swiss Alps is the Matterhorn Summit in Zermatt, Valais; and you wouldn't poo poo it if you took your bobsled up there :p
  13. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,771 / 47 / -26
    In other news........ Brandon Taylor had his ACL operated on.... again.

Looks like Larry English 2.0.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +131 / 19 / -5
    Good bye taylor you bench seat is now occupied.
  15. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Lolz

It was a knee scope, but I love the Larry English comparison, made my day. Guy hasn't even played a full game yet and we're already labeling him a bust. Love Chargers fans' logic.
  16. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,771 / 47 / -26
    You can't contribute, if you can't play...... it's really that simple. There have been plenty of talented players who never amounted to anything because they could never stay healthy. Not a big stretch to compare his career so far to Larry's.
  17. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Actually it is, since Larry has been on the field and came with 1st round pick expectations in which he has failed to deliver. Think thats why we should be patient with Taylor because he was a 3rd round pick that has played half a game. I just can't see how you can give up on someone who was drafted 2 years ago and as a 3rd round rookie didn't get his debut until we were bounced from playoff contention and our starting SS hit the IR.

Larry has had multiple injuries with other muscles, bones. Taylor tore his ACL, worked hard to get back, unfortunately had a set back in which he had to get his knee scoped at the end of this year.

He still saw significant practice time, he just didn't participate in games.
  18. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +185 / 2 / -1
    ^^^ what he said
  19. And_1

And_1 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I personally take this news positively because it shows that he was limited and was still able to tough it out. That counts for something. Still don't like the fact that we drafted him but hopefully he works out for us and at the very least becomes a reliable starter.
  20. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,575 / 44 / -6
    Give the kid some time, he can't be judged an ankle biter this soon!!
  21. JAMMER

JAMMER BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +154 / 3 / -1
    TEO will be a very good LB
  22. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,771 / 47 / -26
    Only AJ Smith had Larry English as a 1st round talent though. And Larry's foot was a continuing problem..... requiring multiple surgeries. Not that different than Taylor's knee. Larry was a standout out at a small program, while Taylor was the captain of the defense on a big time program. I wouldn't say the expectations for the two players are that different, just because Taylor was taken later. Face it, Larry was taken too soon.
  23. EOTL

EOTL BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    So he pretty much had a season-long ankle injury, no preseason, was put into the starting rotation with very little pro game experience, and still had an average NFL season (statistically, at least). All things considered, Te'o still had a decent year, and I can't wait to see how he progresses once he's healthy and more confident.
  24. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Doesn't matter if he was a 1st round talent to just AJ Smith. The point is, he was taken in the 1st round and it came with 1st round expectations as a player, which failed miserably, but yet he is about to see out his rookie contract.

While Taylor, who should of been a starter from Day 1 over Bigby (what team was he on in 2013?), was taken in round 3 and there were reasons why he was a 3rd rounder. So, to me, expectations aren't as extreme as English's, I could still see Taylor being a solid starter at safety in this league.

You have to play to be labeled a 'bust'. He still got reps on the practice field to help his development, got his knee scoped right after the season and will be battling for the SS spot along side Weddle this season.

To just give up on the guy this early in his career because he had an unfortunate injury in his debut and than a major set back in the recovery process is quite extreme. What's the benefit of cutting him? Your 1 player shorter at the position and your going to owe him money and also it will take more than his salary to sign a guy to replace him. Let him get a full off-season under his belt in which he can train, which he didn't get to have last year because he was rehabbing.
  25. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,380 / 36 / -16
    Really? I've never interpreted it that way.
    To me, one who achieves far, far less than was expected (often nothing or next to nothing) on draft day is the definition of a bust.

(and I say this as a guy who is more charitable than most, re. those who are crippled by injury early: I didn't trash Sproles circa '06,
    or English…or mock Mathews…hell, I was even nice to Buster Davis for 3 seasons, hoping the guy could get a shot to redeem himself)
  26. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,771 / 47 / -26
    We obviously have differing opinions on what the "bust" label means. A bust is somebody who doesn't contribute to the team. That can be either from a lack of ability, or the inability to remain healthy. Both apply.

Will Taylor be "battling for the SS spot along side Weddle?...... he has to beat out the other contenders first. Addae came in with zero expectations, but he's already way ahead of Taylor in making an impact.
  27. BoltsNHoes

BoltsNHoes I gotta have me my....

Ratings Received:
    +71 / 2 / -0
    I think Teo might have a serious breakout next season.
  28. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    So what were Taylor's expectations coming in 2012 as a rookie and now this past year coming off an ACL tear and set back?

Did people label Donald Butler a bust when he tore his ACL in camp when he was a rookie? He was also a 3rd round pick, he was able to over come it and become a starter. Fans just need to be patient, there's no reason to cut the guy, and Taylor is NOT a bust, because if he was than Donald Butler would be as well.
  29. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    As I said in my previous post, is Donald Butler a bust then, or did we deem him a bust when he tore his ACL his rookie season in camp? He was a 3rd rounder also, look how that turned out.

Again, fans just need to be patient. There is no reason to cut Taylor at this point or label him a bust, it's premature.
  30. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,380 / 36 / -16
    I actually wasn't addressing Taylor at all…my point was that--while I'm more sympathetic than most,
    re. injuries aborting a guy's career--the term "bust" has traditionally been linked to lack of productivity,
    whether it was due to off-field behavior, poor play or injury...