1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

The Chosen One has Arrived !!!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Nov 12, 2006.

1. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,054 / 0 / -0

You're fine T...we all like your enthusiasm for your hometown boy...who is the real thing! ;)
    • Like Like x 2
  2. AthensPhilipRiversFan

AthensPhilipRiversFan New Member

Ratings Received:
    +331 / 0 / -0
    :lol: and on THAT note...i'm draggin my tired butt to bed. gotta have Kayla at the doctor's office as soon as they open in the morning and it's been a veryyyy long weekend. g'nite all and GO BOLTS!!!!
  3. AthensPhilipRiversFan

AthensPhilipRiversFan New Member

Ratings Received:
    +331 / 0 / -0

Thank ya Kimmers...i'm defintely full of it.

Enthusiasm that is. :icon_tease:

Rivers is just starting to shine. Just give him a while. Yall really aint even come close to seein what that boy can do. AND with players like LT around him...LOOK OUT WORLD CAUSE HERE COME DA BOLTS!:bolt: :bolt:
  4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    Chargers.com, GlorifyThePast and the UT boards all play these games and it is the management of those sites which perpetuate these claims.

A classic example was the recent contest here for Bolt fans to get flown in, a gameday ticket and hotel accomodations yet any announcements posted on those sites got deleted. :yes:

That is pretty weak but every site had their reasons and it boiled down to egos and $$$$.

To the common Chargers fan here, I was floored that sites get that petty in their wars and attitudes. To me it is reprehensible but that is the way it is ..........
  5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/Sports/OtherSports/2006/11/13/2338484-sun.html

Chargers stage stunning comeback

By AP

CINCINNATI -- With one wobbly pass, Philip Rivers completed one of the San Diego Chargers' greatest comebacks -- the kind that defines a young quarterback.

And, maybe, a season as well.

Rivers' shovel pass under pressure finished a 42-point second half by the Chargers yesterday, setting up a 49-41 victory over the Cincinnati Bengals that left everyone at a loss for words.

"Being involved in that game, it was about like it was a cartoon or something," said LaDainian Tomlinson, who tied his career with four touchdowns. "Exhausting. I can't wait until I get on the bus, where I can think and wonder what happened today."

Cincinnati led 28-7 at halftime, but Rivers was unconvinced.

"As he grows as a player, he's unbelievable," tight end Antonio Gates said. "He's doing a tremendous job leading this team. He was on the sideline saying they were going to need to score more than 28 points to beat us. What more could you ask for in a leader?"

Rivers ran the show in his best performance yet: 24-for-36 for 337 yards and three touchdowns.

Bengals receiver Chad Johnson set a club record with 260 yards and a pair of long touchdowns, and Carson Palmer had the first 400-yard passing game of his career. It didn't matter.
  6. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +272 / 0 / -0
    Yes, they're always going to be compared. But after every single game?

I mean seriously--the Vick v. LT topic still comes up maybe once or twice a season, but not every friggin time LT has a good game.

Besides, the reason the Vick v. LT topic keeps coming up is because of the idea that Atlanta chose Vick over LT and we got over on them--just like the Giants choosing Eli over PR. There's none of that in the Brees / Rivers debate. New Orleans wasn't choosing between Rivers or Brees. We didn't "get over" on New Orleans in this deal.

The only way people would care two years from now would be if Brees turns out to be better than PR. But that's not going to happen, right? So why do you care so much?

Seriously, 3 or 4 years from now the only people still talking about this argument will be you and a dozen other forumites with long memories and a list of grudges. And every once in awhile someone in the media will remember that Brees was a former Charger and mention it.
  7. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings Received:
    +890 / 0 / -0
    :icon_bow: :icon_bow: :icon_bow: Keep preaching it oh mighty Trumpie. Prophet of the Chosen One.:icon_bow: :icon_bow: :icon_bow:
  8. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +272 / 0 / -0
    What does this have to do with what we were talking about? :icon_huh: Talk about changing the subject...
  9. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    I believe that. He is going to be even better.

Just let me add that im not trying to take anything away from anybody. Obviously you have seen him play since High School and knew about him earlier than i did.....i just noticed him as a college player and took a real notice of him as a senior and talked about him a lot in the forums.
    Raved about how good he was and how ridiculous it was that he was being talked about as a 3rd or 4th round pick at the time and said he would be a first rounder when all is said and done.

I didnt want us to pick a QB initially but when it was apparent that we would......Rivers was the guy i liked the best of the three if we were going to pick one and when we did, i knew he had better physical skills than Drew and i just wanted to see him raise the level of that possition.
    Not trying to override you or anybody else who knew of him...just saying i was on his bandwagon way earlier than the draft that year.

Its just nice when somebody remembers that i said it and all my posts arent overlooked ;)....every now and then i make some sense :icon_mrgreen:
    • Like Like x 1
  10. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,054 / 0 / -0

I hope he brings everything he has next Sunday....we need everyone to be on their top game...I'm optimistic....and a little bit excited too...:)...and kind of tired now...nite.
  11. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    You brought up the forum wars take !?!?!?!!!!

"it's the people who seem to try to keep the forum-wars going in perpetuity that bugs me."
  12. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings Received:
    +890 / 0 / -0
    I think what Trumpie was trying to say is a comparison Thing.

Like the Brees/Rivers backers will say this thing or that thing, just to see what can be said in response.

Like when Bolttalk did our (Leave No Fan Behind Contest).

The other sites just did not want anything to do with it. I.E. Bolttalk was a Rivers Backers ( The Contest) and the other sites were a Brees Backers ( The Non Contest) sites. The other sites did not want anything to do with Bolttalk because of the contest.

I might have confused you more than helped out. I apologize to you on that if I did.
  13. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +272 / 0 / -0
    Well...yeah...but I was talking about, you know...the members of the forums.

And Turbo--from what I've seen there's no such thing as a "Pro-Brees" forum unless you're talking about the Saints board. They're all "pro-Rivers" with a faction of members who still like Brees. All the forums had the same debates and those debates spread over all the forums.

Trumpy's talking about some bolttalk vs. UT vs. chargers.com thing that I don't know about that has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm talking about. It's a tangent.
  14. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    We just got rid of Brees for Petes sakes and you are complaining about too many comparisons.

I could understand if by the 4th or 5th year of comparisons people would get tired but we are 8 games into the deal. Why do you care so little or for that matter if the comparisons bother you so much, do you think by postng you are tired of the comparisons they will stop ?

We did get over on New Orleans. They took a burden off our shoulders at a premium. Brees saved us his $2 million in salary by signing elsewhere.

We will get a 3rd round pick in compensation from the league thanks to someone (in this case the Saints) picking up Brees.

Nobody had to offer Brees a contract.

Further in seeing the QB's play their game on the field, it is entirely reasonable to wonder if Brees would have been able to "make that throw" or pull off that franchise history comeback if he were still here.

It should not upset you that the question comes up but it obviously does bother you.
  15. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-penner13nov13,1,3874683.story?coll=la-headlines-sports

NFL WEEK 10

Martyball is pushed aside by a dazzling impostor

By Mike Penner, Times Staff Writer
    November 13, 2006

For more than two decades, Martyball has served as the NFL's opiate of the massive, a play-it-safe sedative that has caused a series of Super Bowl challengers from Cleveland to Kansas City to San Diego to nod off before any could reach the promised land.

It's a potent, and predictable, way to put a city's championship aspirations to sleep, but every so often, the slumbering giant stirs.

This is Martyball?

Marty Schottenheimer's San Diego Chargers scoring 42 points in the second half against Cincinnati?

San Diego running back LaDainian Tomlinson, after scoring four touchdowns and watching Philip Rivers and Carson Palmer combine to pass for a dizzying 777 yards, saying this game felt like being in a cartoon?

The Chargers and the Bengals combining for 90 points, 975 yards and 54 first downs, prompting Schottenheimer to muse about the action reminding him of the good old American Football League days, where the last team holding the football usually won?

This was Martyball on the 10th Sunday of the 2006 season: Chargers 49, Bengals 41 … in San Diego's highest-scoring game since 1986, when Schottenheimer was boring opponents into submission before losing AFC title games in excruciating fashion with the Cleveland Browns.

It was the league's highest-scoring game in two years.

It marked the first time the Chargers had rallied from a 21-point deficit since 1983, when San Diego came back to beat Seattle, 28-21.

And the 49 points represented the most scored in a game by the Chargers since a 50-28 victory over Miami on Sept. 7, 1986, near the end of the Air Coryell-piloted-by-Dan Fouts era.

Why can't Martyball be this much fun more often?

Nate Kaeding, and tens of thousands of Chargers fans, would really like to know.

As it was, San Diego's wild victory set the tone for a head-shaking Sunday, when 10 road teams won.

Call it "Six Degrees of Martyball:"

The Chargers beat the Bengals, who had lost their previous home game to the Atlanta Falcons …

Who lost to the dregs of the NFL for the second week in a row, this time to the Cleveland Browns, 17-13, after looking awful against the Detroit Lions …

Who lost at home, 19-13, to the San Francisco 49ers …

Who the previous week scored three field goals and still beat the Minnesota Vikings …

Who lost at home, 23-17, to the Green Bay Packers …

Who received 347 yards passing and two touchdown passes from Brett Favre … ....click on link for more
  16. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings Received:
    +890 / 0 / -0
    I did confuse you. I apologize.

The best way to describe what I meant is this.

The Parallel or similarities with the word wars.

The war between the Rivers backers versus the Brees Backers.

The war between Bolttalk and the other sites about the contest of (Leave No Fan Behind).

I hope that can clarify a little.
  17. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/football/nfl/san_francisco_49ers/15999267.htm

Upsets, upsets everywhere you turn

By Ira Miller

Seemed a little like Election Day all over again on Sunday. One by one, the results rolled in from precincts across the country, and the minority party was in control.

Houston upset Jacksonville. Miami stunned Kansas City. The Jets shocked the Patriots in the mud. Cleveland beat Atlanta.

Four teams with combined records of 10-22 in their previous games beat four teams with combined records of 21-11.

Several other "races" almost called for recounts. Indianapolis and Baltimore survived huge upsets because their opponents couldn't kick field goals late in the game. Seattle survived a big upset because the Rams declined to try a field goal in the fourth quarter.

The Ravens had to rally from a 19-point deficit.

San Diego had to overcome a 21-point deficit to beat Cincinnati.

And, of course, there was the remarkable momentum shift in the Bears-Giants game just before halftime in a game that began to turn in Chicago's favor on what appeared to be a give-up play by the Bears -- a third-and-22 run by Thomas Jones that gained 26 yards. And suddenly, what had been a game dominated by the Giants turned the other way.

Now you know why television networks pay billions to the NFL.

You can't turn away from it. If you do, you won't see Buffalo's Rian Lindell hang his head after blowing a 41-yard field-goal attempt with 6:22 remaining against Indianapolis, which won by a point. Or see Tennessee's Rob Bironas miss field-goal attempts late in both halves against Baltimore (the last was a killer, a 43-yarder that was blocked with 33 seconds left in the game).

Or ... well, what in the world was Rams coach Scott Linehan thinking? Early in the fourth quarter, his team had a two-point lead and was facing fourth down and a yard and a half at the Seahawks' 12-yard line. This was a no-brainer: Kick the field goal and go ahead by five, because the Rams were controlling the Seattle offense.

Instead, Linehan had the Rams go for it, and they missed on an incomplete pass thrown by Marc Bulger. Those were three points St. Louis could have used later in a game Seattle won 24-22.

And what does it all mean?

Well, as so often happens in the NFL, we get another reminder that we don't know what we think we did.

Is Denver really the second-best team in the AFC? Not if Jake Plummer throws three interceptions and the Broncos have to go to the wire against the Raiders. Of course, that was the Bad Jake. The Good Jake completed 17 of his last 20 passes. Plummer had to become the focus of Denver's offense because the Broncos' running game, which is usually reliable, was ineffective.

Is New England as formidable as ever? Not after losing back-to-back games for the first time in four years and losing at home in successive weeks for the first time in 13 years. The difference in the loss to the Jets was the Patriots' rare inability to protect Tom Brady, who was sacked four times by a defense that ranked 29th in the NFL in sacks. It was only the third time in three years that Brady suffered four sacks in a game.

Is San Diego the AFC's best-balanced good team on offense and defense? Doesn't seem that way after allowing 545 yards to Cincinnati, which finally got Chad Johnson out of his season-long funk with a team-record, 260-yard receiving day. At least the Chargers got Shaun Phillips back off the injury list, and he made a key sack/fumble play, but there seemed to be a lot of holes in the San Diego secondary.

Is Atlanta QB Michael Vick developing into the first-rank passer he seemed to be a couple of weeks ago? Not after a second straight stinker, 16-of-40 with two interceptions and a careless, game-clinching fumble with 2:18 remaining, against Cleveland. Vick's passer rating in the game, 43.4, was his lowest of the year.

Is Chicago the best team in the NFC? There still have to be some doubts because of the Bears' turnover habits. They got themselves into trouble against the Giants and started getting out of it almost by a fluke on the Jones run. Chicago has to play more consistently on offense to be a serious championship contender.

The day's best game was the San Diego-Cincinnati match, unless, of course, you like defense. The Bengals led 21-0 at the quarter and 28-7 at the half, but the Chargers scored touchdowns on their first five possessions of the second half and 42 second-half points.

It was a particularly significant game for first-year starting QB Philip Rivers, who has been given a lot more freedom to throw the ball ever since that conservative, Martyball game the Chargers lost to Baltimore early in October.

Of course, in trying to overcome a 21-point deficit, the Chargers had to throw the ball. But the point is that Rivers threw just 22 times against the Ravens and has thrown more than that in every game since then, and his passer rating has been higher in every game since then, too, than it was against Baltimore -- including 124.4 against Cincinnati, his best since the opener against the Raiders.

Rivers was spectacular on the game-clinching touchdown drive in the final minutes, demonstrating arm strength, poise, control and touch.

First, on third-and-8 at the Bengals' 35-yard line with 4:51 remaining, he drilled a pass just beyond the fingertips of cornerback Johnathan Joseph for a 27-yard gain to tight end Antonio Gates.

Two minutes later, on third-and-goal from the five, Rivers, although he was not under pressure, saw a crack in the pass rush and moved up and to the left, which got the Cincinnati defense thinking he might run. That left an opening for Rivers to lob the ball to tight end Brandon Manumaleuna for a touchdown.
  18. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    http://fantasy.sportingnews.com/nfl/experts/george-winkler/20061112.html

Blitz: Surviving a tidal wave of points
    Nov. 12, 2006

The Bengals and Chargers went to play a football game Sunday and a video game broke out instead. San Diego's 49-41 win over Cincinnati made a lot of fantasy owners happy, except those who were facing the players involved. For them, there was no joy in Carson Palmer's 440 yards passing or LaDainian Tomlinson's four scores. Instead, it was a helpless feeling as the points kept piling up and the game seemed like it would never end.

After taking a loss in a situation like this one, fantasy owners can start to lose confidence. But it's important to stay mentally strong and not let doubt creep in. When these avalanches of points hit your team, the best thing to do is just move on. On some days, the matchups are going to work out perfectly for your opponent, and unless you have equally good matchups or a breakout performer or two, it's going to be tough to keep pace.

If a ridiculously high-scoring game like this one rocks your team, you need some time to stew, but don't carry your bad feelings into the next week. Trades or player moves you make in the heat of the moment can come back to haunt you, so don't compound a bad week by setting yourself up for failure in future weeks.

After all, you're not alone in getting run over by LT. He has scored 15 touchdowns in his past five games and is as unstoppable as they get these days. He has done plenty of damage to his opponents' psyche, but that doesn't mean you have to be another one of his victims.

Provided your team is built with balance and you have a few explosive performers of your own, you'll be fine in the long run. And now at least karma owes you one and hopefully will deliver for you come playoff time.

BEHIND THE BOX SCORE

Jeremi Johnson started for Rudi Johnson, who was benched for disciplinary reasons. That's why it was Jeremi who scored early for the Bengals on a 3-yard run. But Rudi quickly got back into the game, scored on Cincinnati's next possession and finished with 85 yards rushing. With just two 100-yard games this season, Johnson probably needed some motivation. If you're thinking about trading him away, though, reconsider. He has New Orleans and Cleveland in the next two weeks, and Oakland and Indy during fantasy playoff time.

Without Shawne Merriman helping to provide a killer pass rush, the Chargers' secondary got exposed against the Bengals. Carson Palmer completed 31-of-42 passes for 440 yards and three touchdowns. Chad Johnson, T.J. Houshmandzadeh and Chris Henry all made fantasy contributions. The Chargers will face the Broncos and Raiders before getting Merriman back in Week 13 against Buffalo. Expect a big day from Javon Walker next week, but it's questionable whether Randy Moss and the Raiders will be able to take advantage of San Diego's weakened defense.
  19. mapcap55

mapcap55 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +66 / 0 / -0

[​IMG]

They're home now...will it stop?

:lol:
  20. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +194 / 0 / -0
    I get connected with this congregation.
  21. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +194 / 0 / -0
    I do it - sealed :icon_toast: :icon_party: :tup: :bolt:
  22. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
  23. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +194 / 0 / -0
    and because of these possibilities this sport is loved all over the planet.
  24. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 44 / -6
    It was just an excellent game, Our offense rallied and pulled this one out of the jaws of defeat.
  25. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/co...pro/bengals/2006/11/12/ddn111306bennotes.html

Chargers' McCree apologizes for fourth-quarter hit on Houshmandzadeh
    By Chick Ludwig

Staff Writer

Monday, November 13, 2006

CINCINNATI — San Diego free safety Marlon McCree apologized for his hit on Bengals wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh that drew a pass-interference penalty and sent Houshmandzadeh to the sidelines with a concussion with 9:33 to go.

"It was a bad play on my part," McCree said. "I was going for the ball and lost it. It was a blind spot. I couldn't see the ball for a split second. I went for an interception the first series of the game and missed it by a hair. As opposed to going for the interception and missing it again, I figured I'd just go for the hit and jar the ball out. But in my aggressiveness, I was a second too soon.

"I apologize to (Houshmandzadeh). I'm going to pray for him and I'm going to call him (today) and make sure he's OK because the last thing I want to do is to end a guy's career on some cheap shot. I'm not a cheap player. I've never played this game to be dirty or to hurt anybody."

L.T. is the man

Chargers tailback LaDainian Tomlinson put on a clinic — 22 carries for 104 yards and four TDs, and six receptions for 54 yards.

"The superlatives about him are sometimes hard to come up with," coach Marty Schottenheimer said. "I stand in amazement on the sideline. Some of the things he does are remarkable. It is a great tribute to the young man. If there was ever a consummate team player, it is LaDainian Tomlinson."

Halftime speech

McCree said Schottenheimer's halftime speech fired up the Chargers.

"You did not want to be in here at halftime, trust me," McCree said.

"He ripped us another butt hole and we responded. Our offense carried us."
    :icon_rofl: ..........CLICK ON LINK FOR MORE
  26. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    I don't understand all the hoo haw by the cinci thugs about mcree. It was godfreys knee that accidently hit horseheads helmet.:yes:
  27. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    http://www.newsday.com/sports/footb...114,0,1389164.column?coll=ny-sports-headlines

Eli, now is your time
    Bob Glauber
    FOOTBALL

November 13, 2006, 10:24 PM EST

Hey, Giants fans. Did you happen to notice what the Chargers did to the Bengals Sunday afternoon? Down 21-0 in the first quarter and 28-7 in the second, Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers led his team to a 42-point explosion in the second half in a spectacular 49-41 win at Cincinnati.

You remember Rivers, the guy the Giants took with the fourth overall pick in 2004, the guy they had no intention of keeping. Within hours, they traded Rivers and a bunch of draft picks to the Chargers in exchange for Eli Manning, the guy they wanted all along.

Well, on the same day Rivers made yet another statement that he is ready to become a big-time quarterback, Manning put on one of the worst performances of his NFL career, a game after which his coach was unusually candid about his poor play.

Granted, Manning was playing one of the best defenses in the NFL and Rivers was going against a Bengals defense that has been spotty all season. But if Manning is going to be the difference-maker the Giants envisioned, and if he is going to be the one to help the team through an extraordinary spate of injuries, then he's going to have to do a lot better than Sunday night.

"Obviously, it was not a good game for him," Giants coach Tom Coughlin said........CLICK ON LINK FOR MORE
  28. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan New Member

Ratings Received:
    +288 / 0 / -0

Eli SUCKS!!!!!!!!!:icon_banana: :icon_banana: :icon_banana: :icon_banana: :icon_banana: :icon_toast:
  29. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    ELI SUCKS !!!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  30. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan New Member

Ratings Received:
    +288 / 0 / -0

One more time :icon_toast: :icon_toast: :icon_toast: :nana_rock: :nana_rock:
    • Like Like x 1