1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

The end is nigh for Norv Turner

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,693 / 45 / -26
    This is it for Chargers' Norv Turner

Norv Turner walked to a media podium, wearing a powder-blue sweatshirt with the word “Chargers” lined in black caps across his chest.

His eyes, tucked below a Navy blue baseball cap stitched with an arching yellow lightning bolt, scanned a thin group of reporters who showed Thursday for the final full practice of the year.

It was only the diehards, remarked Bill Johnston, team director of public relations (as he reached in his pocket for his canister of chill pills).

“Diehard. That’s what I am, right?” Turner said with a smile, his voice barely audible. “Houdini may not get out of this one.”

This is it for the Chargers head coach. This Sunday afternoon, his six-year tenure will come to a close against the Raiders when he coaches his final game with San Diego. He is expected to be officially relieved of his duties as early as Monday, the same going for general manager A.J. Smith.

The men know it. The players know it.

This is it.

The recent days and weeks in Murphy Canyon have been arranged with purpose.

They have been something indicative of Turner, his players say, as they’ve prepared for this final act, this conclusion at Qualcomm Stadium to the franchise’s first losing season since 2003 and third straight failed playoff berth.

Turner hasn’t said a word about his job future to the group. Not even a joke under his breath.

It’s been about the morning lift and the morning meetings, about the practice and more meetings. It’s been about the watching of film and the gameplanning, the announcing of team awards, the giving of game balls, the coaching and coaching and coaching.

“It’s not about him, and it’s never been about him,” center Nick Hardwick said. “It’s about the team. It’s about getting the most of the team. You wouldn’t even say ‘his’ team. It’s ‘the’ team. It’s ‘our’ team. He’s always made it about that. It’s never been about him, which is much appreciated.”

Team president Dean Spanos has fired head coaches before. He’s fired one during the season before, Kevin Gilbride in 1998.

Though his mind was made up weeks ago, Spanos allowed Turner to finish out the year. He didn’t see warrant in parting before Monday, known as “Black Monday” around the league.

The situation isn’t toxic. The locker room hasn’t tuned out Turner.

When he speaks, the players listen. When he continues preparing and remains himself despite a 6-9 record, they follow.

One player cited last week’s 27-17 cross-country win over the Jets as a testament.

“If he can do it, shoot, we need to stop sulking because we’re not playing well,” safety Eric Weddle said. “We need to pick it up and play better.”

“He does a really good job not bringing up the outside pressures to make sure our focus is on the game,” outside linebacker Jarret Johnson said. “Even though he’s in the spot he’s in, it’s not him. It’s all of us. We’re in the same situation, whether you think it or not. ...

“All of us are out here trying to prove our character and prove the type of players we are. It’s a shame we couldn’t have won more games for him. He deserves better.”

At Friday’s walk-through practice, Turner ran a short passing drill near the goal line. A couple minutes in, a young wide receiver dropped a pass at the right corner of the end zone.

Turner, as if it was training camp and not Week 17, cursed the player’s name.
    “Run it again!” he screamed.

The player scampered back, and Turner looked away, the angered expression wiped from his face.

Turner wanted better, but right to the end, he’s enjoyed this.

The 60-year-old has gone 58-43 in six seasons here, the win total and games coached third in franchise history behind Sid Gillman and Don Coryell.

He’ll vie for win No. 59 Sunday for a final send-off.

“If it were to be what everyone expects it to be,” quarterback Philip Rivers said, “I’m certainly sick that it got to this point.”

It began in 2007 with an 11-5 record and, two playoff wins later, an appearance in the AFC Conference Championship.

Turner's first season was also the first of three straight AFC West titles with a roster Smith loaded in talent. But Turner's teams have finished second in the division in the three years since, falling a game short in 2011.

The results and personnel declined together.

In 2010, there began a series of player holdouts, injuries — some career-ending — and free agency departures. Combined with a draft drop-off that has since rebounded, the table was set for what happens next.

This is a results-based business, a what-have-you-done-lately league. Turner may be 117-126-1 in his career, but amid stadium blackouts and boos, he is now 0-3 at making the playoffs.

Kickoff Sunday is at 1:25 p.m. After a week of regular preparation, one job remains before facing the Raiders.

Houdini, who escaped firing at the end of last season, must address his team in the locker room.

This will be it.

“There will be some good thought put into it,” Turner said of what he'll say. “I think that as a staff, we’ll deliver a good message.”
  2. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Objects In Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear...

Ratings Received:
    +287 / 1 / -0
    Shame. I like Norv as a person, and he's a damn good OC. But a Head Coach he is not...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Norv will be the Jets OC and work with their new QB Alex Smith. ;)
  4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I would actually be extremely surprised if Norv went to work for Rex. He will have other opportunities. He may be able to go to Minnesota where he has a young QB and WR, and a stud RB, something he won't have in NY
  5. BoltFanDC

Ratings Received:
    +287 / 1 / -0
    Ahhhh...had not thought of that angle...
  6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,687 / 39 / -8
    Bye bye Norv. Thanks for all the... ahh.. well bye... Take AJ with you.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. BoltFanDC

Ratings Received:
    +287 / 1 / -0
    And so the Norv era ends...
  8. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
  9. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I am happier today than I was at X-Mas!!!!! Bye Bye Norv, don't let the door hit you on the way out
  10. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,132 / 4 / -0
    At loooooooooong last..............
  11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I am predicting Bruce Arians is the next Chargers HC
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. BoltFanDC

Ratings Received:
    +287 / 1 / -0
    I hope like hell you are right...
  13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    To me, it just makes sense. It would allow them to keep their other coordinators in place. I think most other candidates would want their own guys, while I think he would be perfectly fine keeping Pagano
  14. PB Bolt

PB Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +135 / 3 / -0
    Just go. Sell the house. Don't come back.
  15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
    Team meeting Monday 11am, guess is that's when it'll be official
  16. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +288 / 1 / -0
    It is amazing Norv lasted this long...I wish him the best and I hope the door doesn't hit him to hard in the ars on the way out!
  17. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,554 / 44 / -6
    I doubt it would happen but what if Norv accepted a demotion to OC???
  18. powayslugger

powayslugger Optimistic for 2013

Ratings Received:
    +134 / 3 / -0
    Minny seems like a good destination for him.
  19. powayslugger

powayslugger Optimistic for 2013

Ratings Received:
    +134 / 3 / -0
    Norv found ways to waste the very talented team he inherited. Good by and good riddance. He may have been such a nice coach that the players loved to underperform for... Now this team is old, broken down and in need of a near complete rebuild. Thanks again Norv for f-ing over the team for the past six years and ruining a 14-2 team. You made them worthless and weak.. Just like you've done at every head coaching stop you've made.
  20. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,568 / 27 / -1
    I want it to be official, lol
  21. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,554 / 44 / -6
    The longer it takes for the announcement the more worried I'll get. I actually believe Dean likes Turner and I fear an AJ firing with Norv somehow hanging on.
  22. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
    If it doesn't happen by like 3pm PST it probably won't happen and we are in trouble
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,568 / 27 / -1
    I wouldn't say that. It could just be that they want to enjoy New Year's Eve before conducting business.
  24. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,554 / 44 / -6
    Somehow, I see Norv surviving, not as HC but in some other capacity and AJ being out-righted to the pasture.
  25. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +770 / 5 / -0
    When you own a house in Del Mar, you may have to go to desperate measures to keep that piece of real estate. I hear that Helix High School is in need of a QB coach/assistant equipment manager...
  26. PB Bolt

PB Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +135 / 3 / -0
    I heard that the Chula Vista Middle School Ladybugs are looking for an assistant soccer coach...
  27. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings Received:
    +222 / 1 / -1
    Apparently Dallas are looking for offensive help, so maybe Norv goes to the Cowboys as OC.
  28. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,693 / 45 / -26
    That makes sense, since Garrett played under Turner, and they are friends....... plus, Norv is still a legend in Dallas.
  29. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,693 / 45 / -26
  30. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I don't think there is any possibility that survives and takes a reduced role. It would create a divided locker room of the players that want Norv to e HC still and those who buy into the new guy. We need a fresh start at HC