1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

The General Manager search thread

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Jan 1, 2013.

1. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886 / 0 / -0
    Gamble is the best available. He's seen and done it all. Jimmy Raye will satisfy the Rooney requirement, but Gamble should not be allowed to leave San Diego without a deal. Fly him in and roll out the red carpet. Let him know he's the one you want. Then let him pick the coach. Do it now, Dean.

2. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +121 / 4 / -1
    I dont think he's so high above other guys, especially Marc Ross (who's still my favorite), who's been a scout and is not the director of college scouting for the Giants. Gamble and Ross are my top two choices right now. I'm glad Wolf was brought in because i think this is a lot of his doing rather than Dean. Ross would be a Rooney Rule req as well.

3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,854 / 48 / -26
    Luckily, the Chargers will ignore your advice. They will do their due diligence and interview all their candidates before making a decision.

4. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,621 / 11 / -0
    I really like what I've heard about Gamble and Caldwell. I wonder if Jimmy Raye would stick around in his current role if he doesn't get the nod - or if he'll look elsewhere? Sounds like he disagreed with AJ on several picks which would have made a positive impact on the team had they gone his way and he's good people.

This info is all second-hand though so perhaps I'm mistaken? Since Raye seems like he's got one foot in the door already, I'm interested to hear more about him for sure.

5. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +520 / 13 / -3
    I'm sure Jimmy has been contacted for other GM spots, he was in the running and a finalist for one last year I believe..

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 19 / -4
    They're being very closed lipped about everything, it's kinda surprising and a little absurd but that's how they wanna run it.

Side note to anyone who just wants to grab someone from a successful organization and assume it means they will win; Pioli, Scott

7. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886 / 0 / -0
    Caldwell is still very young. He might have a great eye for talent, but it doesn't sound like he's had as much exposure to negotiations. Gamble has been involved in the Colts' and Niners' rebuilding efforts and has had plenty of exposure to the intricacies of contract negotiation.

If Jacksonville doesn't sign him by tomorrow Dean needs to send the plane to wherever he is and get Gamble's butt in San Diego. This is the next great GM.

8. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    And it doesn't sound like Ed McGuire's going anywhere, so concern as to someone not having contract negotiation experience should be as big.

Looking at all of the GM candidates so far there's a very common theme, it looks like the aim is to place heavy emphasis on building through the draft without a ton of emphasis on FA - but Dean and Co definitely look like the primary focus is improving the results generated by our draft picks.

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,592 / 48 / -6
    The longer it takes to hire the GM the longer it's going to take to get the HC. The Khan kid out of the Stillers sound interesting but then so does Raye if the reports are true about his dislike of AJ's picks. Gamble may be the odds on favorite going forward though and wouldn't be a bad choice at all. Needs to get done though times a wastin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    We're currently on the 3rd day since AJ was fired. Some folks don't seem to grasp the logistics they're demanding in a real world sense. We couldn't even seek permission to interview staffers from the teams the presently work for until yesterday. Not to mention that the majority of the time you don't interview a guy the same day that you schedule his interview.

This process is going to go through the weekend, at least. So people need to quit getting quite so antsy about not having instantaneous results.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  11. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,592 / 48 / -6
    There is a lot of work to be done for a new management team and since you won't be on staff, they'll have to do it themselves.

12. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    So what, this place needs someone to blame damnit...get em in here now so we can bitch about it!! How dare they delay the disappointment and dismay...how dare they!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,592 / 48 / -6
    I do believe Dean eluded to the fact that time is important in getting the GM position filled and request for permission were already sent out. With the current roster and the draft coming up the new GM and HC have to evaluate what they have and the biggest team need. Future HC's are being interviewed, I believe Reid has two interviews lined up. I'm sure Dean doesn't want to get stuck with the best of the worst once again.

14. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings:
    +1,599 / 29 / -1
    Nevermind the whole concept of rushing such an important hire.

Does anybody here really want them to only put a day or two's worth of thought into this hire? Seriously?

Don't get me wrong, I honestly get the time crunch that comes with so many other openings at the same time, but that doesn't mean they need to be hasty and get the first one or two that come along.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +520 / 13 / -3
    I'm sure we will have our GM picked out by the end of next week for sure. I say one or two Head Coaches will be hired as by the end of next week as well, ex. Andy Reid, Lovie Smith, Ken Whisenhunt, etc.

Its clear that until we have a GM, we won't be interviewing Head Coaches, so guys with the names above I mentioned, will most likely be landed, and I'm fine with that. From Dean's presser, and hearing Wolf talk, there going to interview and make the best possible decision as fast but as effective, because you have to do this right. And I like what I'm hearing from Dean so far.. it's about ******* time..

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,599 / 29 / -1
    I'm highest on Arinas anyway, and I don't see him being one of the one or two likely snatched up before we start interviewing.

Ron Wolf said his phone has been ringing off the hook from people contacting him for the GM position, which is a good sign.

17. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +520 / 13 / -3
    Arians does deserve some credit for the way this season has panned out for the Colts, and certainly the playoff appearance.

But I wasn't impressed with 1 win the Colts had under him. They got their asses handed to them by the Jets, of all teams, and the Patriots who scored 35 2nd half points on them.

8 of their 11 wins were by a touchdown/FG or less, because they were playing from behind most of every game. And their SOS wasn't strong this year either, their opponents current combined record is 73-103 from when Arians took over in Week 5 til Week 16.

I have my doubts with Arians..

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Also, you can only believe about 1/3 of what the media tells you at this point. You have to remember that the number one goal of the media isn't to report facts it's to make money (it's industry as much as anything else). We may see one or two coaching hires occur prior to the conclusion of the Conference Championship weekend, but I doubt much more - just too many of the hot names out there are still tied to teams in the playoffs and can't be interviewed (unless granted permission on a bye week) until after said team is eliminated from the playoffs. Most teams will do their due diligence and wait for the likes of Tomsula, Arians (who I'm not too keen on either), Nolan (though he's doing at least one interview during the bye week), Bradley, Jay Gruden, and McCoy to be available for interviews.

We could see Andy Reid go off the market because if he goes anywhere it sounds like he's a total package deal that comes replete with GM and OC already picked out (Tom Heckert and Pat Shurmur respectively). And we might see Chip Kelly (if he bites on an NFL gig - and as we've seen with Chip already it's as much about the team selling him on themselves as it is him trying to sell them on him) sign on somewhere - but I'm not sure I see any of the current slate of GM candidates having a ton of interest in Chip except maybe Caldwell (depending on how tight he is with Belichick) and the wild card of Jimmy Raye.

19. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,433 / 36 / -16

's alright: I've got Carrie Mathison keeping an eye on him...

20. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,083 / 31 / -0
    My point was that they should be quick about interviewing the 5 candidates they have identified. Otherwise they might miss out on their top choice. Gamble seems to be mentioned as a possible hire by a lot of teams. I was not suggesting they hire a GM without interviewing him first.

21. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +872 / 5 / -0
    Maybe my thinking is a bit awkward, but I wouldn't want a first-time GM and a first-time HC at the same time. Just my .02 cents worth...

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +429 / 8 / -0
  23. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,854 / 48 / -26
    OK, that's fair.

I do think the fact that Dean contacted Wolf a month ago, shows that he did want to start fast this time, and not repeat the mistake he made when he fired Marty so late. That, at least, is some progress.

24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,854 / 48 / -26
    Yeah, did anyone really think they would wait to interview the one guy that was in their own building?....... I didn't think so.

25. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,592 / 48 / -6
    Yeah, the NFL is such a kind and gentile business giant. Think Al Davis and Lance Alworth before you go trying to feed me your Mother Hubbard soft soap bullshit. If Dean is going to sit on his hands, he'll never see the dance floor. They're not going through a cold call process of interviews, these people are already known and their respective teams are their living resume.

26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,599 / 29 / -1
    Well, it's like I said before, last time I was high on Singletary and Rex Ryan, so if anything, my post is probably an endorsement against Arinas. :roflmao:

27. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Don't feel bad. Many of us were fooled by Rex.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,433 / 36 / -16
    This process is convoluted & confounding enough, Hex, without dragging religion into it...

• Funny Funny x 1
  29. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,592 / 48 / -6
    :roflmao: Oops. They do play the game on Sunday and for some it might be a religion.

• Funny Funny x 1
  30. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,599 / 29 / -1
    I don't think anybody here is advocating Dean just sits on his hands and do nothing, so your strawman argument is void.