1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

The Meachem Conundrum

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,872 / 48 / -26
    We've heard it many times, that's we're stuck with Meachem because of the guaranteed money that AJ gave him. So, we're stuck with a guy that hasn't contributed, due to the mistake of the previous GM. The more I think about that, the more it seems like a bad excuse.

AJ made the mistake in giving Gaither all that guaranteed money, but the Chargers still showed him the door. Why should Meachem be any different..... just because he's a nice guy? All reports from camp indicate that he doesn't look any better than last year. I know there's only so much dead money a team wants to be saddled with, but if you're convinced a guy isn't going to contribute... why keep him around?

The way I see it, you risk compounding AJ's mistake by having an unproductive player taking up a roster spot that could be filled by a player that could actual help the team win games. If you're stuck with paying Meachem one way or the other, don't make things worse by denying a roster spot to a promising player, or player at a position in need of depth. Sure, you'd prefer to find a way to deal Meachem if possible, but with his contract that's unlikely. A team would have to be pretty desperate for a WR to make that deal.

Bottom line: If a player isn't going to help you, then they shouldn't be around.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,216 / 37 / -21
    The only way I think we can swing cutting this dead weight is to cut some variation of McClain, Whitehurst and/or Clary to make cap space.

Whitehurst I would be fine with, the other two have a legitimate chance to help us this year.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,872 / 48 / -26
    Admittedly, I don't know exactly what the cap ramifications would be, but that's why we have Ed McGuire around. Let him work some magic. ;)

4. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    It cost us to dump some other useless players recently (including AJ himself ;)).
    I don't doubt the Chargers will swing the axe if Meacham can't contribute.

5. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +522 / 13 / -3
    Meachem could in fact help this team though. All 3 of our top WR's have had injury problems. Alexander, Brown and Floyd. So we will in fact need depth at the position. Who is this other player you speak of? Dan DePalma? Luke Tasker? Richard Goodman? If you ask me I'll take my chances with Meachem.

Meachem, however, never was a WR2. In New Orleans he was used in packages and sets. And also, maybe Whisenhunt's offense will help his game.

Too early to judge, lets see some pre-season action.

6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,216 / 37 / -21

I'd keep Mike Willie if Meachem doesn't have a huge pre-season, and by huge I mean a guy who plays in all the garbage time and dominates the 3rd stringers.

Also I think Goodman is a good fit for this more YAC yard based passing game, he is extremely fast.

7. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +522 / 13 / -3
    Goodman has terrible hands. It was exposed over pre-season and in a few regular season games when he was forced into action due to injuries.

I like Mike Willie, but who knows if the kid is ready. At least Meachem has always been going against 1st stringers/2nd stringers. We're talking players who are going against 3rd stringers and making them look foolish, our 3rd stringers are undrafted rookies. Even our 2nd stringers have very little experience.

8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,216 / 37 / -21

So does Meachem:D , I call it a tie, except Goodman can play STs and wont cost us over a mil in dead money on the '14 cap. Also Goodman was a rookie the last time he was even targeted in a live game, players don't stop developing after their rookie year.

As for Willie we'll see how he does in the pre-season, and even if he's not fully ready all he has to be is better than Meachem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +452 / 2 / -1
    Cutting Meacham would probably make it impossible to do the Butler deal before the season. Keep Meacham just so we can lock up DB.

10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,216 / 37 / -21

I'm pretty sure any deal we reach with Butler would just count as a future extension. He'd finish out the last year of his rookie deal without any cap hit this year, then in 2014 the money would come.

11. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,594 / 48 / -6
    He makes some very expensive catches, just not enough of them!

12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    My main question would be, is keeping Meacham just going to push off a cap hit to next year? If so, then I say suck it up now and cut him so we have the free money next year, especially since Gaithers hit is getting split between this and next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,216 / 37 / -21

Good point, we also might end up keeping Meach until next offseason and then splitting his cap hit between '14 and '15.

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Maybe. But I do think that unless we have injuries with the WR's to deal with, we may want to just get him off the books this year since it is a "transition" year. I wouldn't go cut him today, but after the last pre-season game, if there aren't any injuries and if he is still not doing anything, i'd rather just get him off the books. We could go into next year with quite a bit of cap space, and a lot of young players looking for new contracts. Not having a couple mil wasted as a cap hit, could help get some of those players signed.

But with that said, I don't really know what the cap hit would be next year. This is based on IF there is a sizable cap hit for next year

15. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,594 / 48 / -6
    As disappointing as Meach was last year, it would be nice if they didn't jettison him that he be productive somewhere. I don't know if it was the man or the system he was in last year but so far it's been one big expensive mistake. Oh well, I'll just hope for the best and expect the worst.

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I hope for the best as well, I just fear another disappointing year and keeping him hurting us in the future if it results in the cap hit next year

17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,872 / 48 / -26
    You can hope for the best, but I don't see him getting much opportunity if he stays (barring a rash of injuries).

Last year was his perfect opportunity. Brown got hurt early, Royal barely played because of injury, Alexander wasn't even on the team until the midway point, and Allen wasn't drafted yet. There was no one standing in his way to showcase what he was capable of, and he fell flat on his face. Meachem was simply the worst free-agent signing of 2012.

18. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +452 / 2 / -1
    As long as that's true cool, locking up Butler long term is way more important to me then worrying about the 6th receiver. Meacham is gonna make the team, and to be honest I hope we have a problem with getting people reps because there all playing well.

19. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +522 / 13 / -3
    A lot can happen between now and Week 17, who knows, maybe somebody becomes desperate at the trading deadline. I wouldn't be opposed to dealing him for a draft pick at all. Some teams, with aging QB's, might have a go for it all mindset. But again, still got ways to go. Maybe he finally catches on soon. Who knows, time will tell.

20. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,621 / 11 / -0
    I believe he's got $5M guaranteed coming his way in 2013 - for whatever that's worth - would certainly like to see him step up but I'm not sure he and PR are a good fit. Seems like they have zero chemistry which is so disappointing. I really like the guy but it's looking more and more doubtful that he's going to be a productive member of the offense :(

21. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    I
    I think the best case scenario is Meachem shows enough promise during preseason to get a couple other teams interested. Then we can trade him for a 3rd-5th rd pick. Is it possible for us to remain responsible for a portion of his salary if we trade him? I see his bloated salary as main roadblock for other teams becoming interested. There's quite a few teams that new WR help right now(SF).

It be a benefit for us as it would still free up a lot of cap room, even if we still continue to pay 50% of his salary and then get a 3rd/4th pick in return. Also free up a spot for Depalma or Willie who clearly deserve a spot on this roster.

22. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,872 / 48 / -26
    I don't think you'd get that high a pick for him... a 6th or 7th is more realistic. The main thing is getting his salary off the books.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,594 / 48 / -6
    He can be the towel monitor and empty the locker room trash cans for the pay he's getting, hell, maybe he can even paint the field. Just find something he can do, great oogly moogly.

24. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195 / 3 / -1
    Read a TC report somewhere that Meachem still has very good speed to get separation on fly routes but on the short stuff can't get open. Not good!

25. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,478 / 19 / -4
    He's unfortunately what he's always been - a deep threat at best that was signed to a contract that was way too expensive given his history.

And Gaither vs. Meachem are totally different cases; one was an expensive lazy locker room cancer the other is an expensive one trick pony who everyone praises as a hard worker and good person. The former you have to jettison just to maintain a decent locker room, the latter you keep until it's financially viable to get rid of him

26. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,594 / 48 / -6
    Meach better put his best ACL forward now, DX went down.

27. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195 / 3 / -1
    ^^^
    Meach: my new bestest friend.

28. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +225 / 1 / -1
    Meachem just got more valuable with the injury to DX, but after reading the first post about Gaither, I wanted to add my 2 cents:

It's one thing handing out a big contract to someone who performs, but doesn't live up to what you gave him. It's a completely different thing when the guy can perform but refuses to do so and sits out with fake injuries.

Meachem hasn't worked out to be a good signing so far, but that isn't from his lack of trying, it's not as if his attitude or presence on the team is detrimental in anything other than financial cost. I don't think he'll ever live up to the contract we gave him, but he can at least contribute, and hopefully the coaching staff finds a way to better use him because I don't think he gets cut.

29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,872 / 48 / -26
    I think you missed my point...... what really matters, is if a player contributes to the team. Sure Gaither's lack of playing time was suspicious to say the least, so you can't compare the attitude of the two players...... and I didn't.

The sad fact, is that despite Gaither's malingering, when he did play, he actually was a real factor in winning games. Meachem, even when he did play, has done next to nothing. He biggest play was a dropped ball when he was wide open and could've won the Brown's game for us....... but he failed.

Having a good attitude doesn't change the fact that Meachem's signing has been a huge waste of money. He'll get one more shot, due to Alexander's injury (and his cap hit), but it's now or never for Meachem.

30. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,594 / 48 / -6
    Meach has got some quick stepping to do and he has to remember to catch the damn ball.