1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

The Military Family Support Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lightning's Girl, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,148 / 5 / -0
    :flag:

In honor of Deb's daughter, Rexy's son, my Melanie, and all BoltTalkers with family serving in the Armed Forces, I thought it would be great to have a support thread so we can all share our pride, our joys, and our fears with each other.

Veterans are also VERY welcome to join in:tup:

Please, no politics.........this is the place for military families to get together and chat, not for the hawks and doves to flap their wings at each other. Thanks!

HOOAH!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 4
  2. Deb

Deb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +255 / 0 / -0
    What a great idea....and I know there quite a few vets here...maybe everyone could tell where they served....how long...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  3. WyomingBoltFan

WyomingBoltFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    Good idea. :tup:

4. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,304 / 12 / -5
    Outstanding idea, LG. :tup:

5. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    BRILLIANT!!!:flag:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  6. Deb

Deb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +255 / 0 / -0
    I dunno maybe it's not an accident our paths cross when they do sometimes...

• Like Like x 1
  7. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    Perhaps CowboyDaveAF could make a siggy for LG with Melanie in it??? Like he kindly did for us, Deb?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lightning's Girl

Ratings:
    +1,148 / 5 / -0
    Melanie's in the Army.........I wonder if there's a way to make one with Black Hawk helicopters and a tower (she's an air-traffic controller serving in Baghdad)??

9. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +714 / 0 / -0
    Me & MrsLash have two step nephews in the military. Donald has been in the NAvy for 7 years steadily working his way up. I don't know his rank off hand but he works in computer something in the mediteranean command. His younger brother Donald who I know much better (excellent kid despite a Donks fan:lol:) is in the Army as an MP doing his first tour in Iraq. He arrived June 5th. keep them both in your prayers but especially Donald. He got married right before he left to his high school sweetheart and I really hope he gets to come home to her.

God bless and watch over all brave men and women serving everywhere. Thank you from the bottom of this father's heart.:flag::icon_toast:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Deb

Deb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +255 / 0 / -0
    I am sure he would do it....I will ask him. May not be tonite or tomorrow because his wife is in the hospital but I know he likes to do it.

11. Lightning's Girl

Ratings:
    +1,148 / 5 / -0
    Way cool! No hurry.........

12. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890 / 0 / -0
    Thank you very much for this. It is greatly appreciated.

For me I am a Retired ARMY Vet from 1988 to 1998.
    That is a good start for me.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Lightning's Girl

Ratings:
    +1,148 / 5 / -0
    Thank you for your service, TT!!

14. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Great idea, y'all!! :yes: :tup: :flag:

15. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    Nice thread everyone....:flag:

• Like Like x 2
  16. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542 / 0 / -0
    Awesome thread!!! :tup:

For all those out there today and those who served before!!! :bow: :flag:

17. Deb

Deb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +255 / 0 / -0
    Just a heads up..>Dave Troll that signed up is admin with me at CP....he made my sig and Rexy's and LG he wanted to know if you want your daughter's pic on it like me or just something traditional or maybe look at Rexys. He is retiring from the Air Force after 20 years...was a mentor to my daughter, they were different ends of their military careers...Ashley going in and He coming out and in a lot of ways they learned on each other.

18. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,015 / 1 / -0
    Mad respect to all the military personnel and their friends and families!

:flag: :flag: :flag:

• Like Like x 2
  19. DaveTroll

DaveTroll BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Hello all, thanks to all the vets for their service! You all are my heroes!

God Bless to the family members, you are just as much as heroes as the servicemember!

You are more than welcome to visit Cowboys Pride Military Heroes Forum

• Like Like x 2
  20. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the board and thank you for your service to our country :yes: :tup: :icon_toast: :flag:

21. Lightning's Girl

Ratings:
    +1,148 / 5 / -0
    I was just thinking how grateful I am to live in modern times, when I can "talk" to my soldier girl half a world away on the Internet. We E-mail each other almost daily, and IM as often as we can catch each other (not always an easy feat with something like an 11-hour time difference). It's almost as if she's in another part of town instead of in a war zone. Sometimes she even calls me from the tower, and I can hear the Black Hawks flying over and the radio squawking in the background.......it's kinda surreal. But soooooooo much better than it must've been for the military moms of yesteryear, who often went months without hearing from their sons or daughters, and only in letters. I have every e-mail Mel's ever sent me, so there's no real downside to communicating electronically; the romanticized bygone days when mothers tied up a batch of letters with ribbon can reproduced in real life if you simply print out the e-mails!!

22. DaveTroll

DaveTroll BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I am working on a sig for you, did you want to put a picture of her in it? I have a Black Hawk, an ATC tower, and a Charger Lightning Bolt on it.

23. Deb

Deb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +255 / 0 / -0
    LG~ I have thought of that too.....it's hard enough but with technology what it is....they never really seem to be as far away.

Hard being a mom anyway, and you never stop worrying....but it does help.

24. Lightning's Girl

Ratings:
    +1,148 / 5 / -0
    That's for sure, Deb. Now my 19-year-old son is going into the Army as well, and he wants to be a tank mechanic..........geez, can we get ANY closer to the fighting?! But as I told him, he endangers himself just walking around town with his iPod on full blast, blissfully unaware of traffic, gangs, and other hazards. A parent can't just go around like they're waiting for the other shoe to drop---we can't put our own lives on hold waiting for that black car to pull into the driveway, the phone call to come in the middle of the night, the doctor or nurse to pull us gently aside to give us the bad news. We have to carry on with our own duties, and trust in God to take care of our children and keep them safe.

JMHO.

25. Lightning's Girl

Ratings:
    +1,148 / 5 / -0
    I wish I had a current one, but all my photos of her are from her visit last year and none are digital. :no: Thanks, though---I love what I've seen so far!

26. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Y'all're indeed fortunate...back in the day mail took up to 3 weeks and beyond. We had a MARS station set up in my camp that guys could call back to the States. It was really a radio set up where a radio operator at my camp would contact someone in Japan, who would contact a HAM operator in 'Frisco who'd somehow hook up to a telephone operator would place a call to a wife anywhere in the states.

I called my mom from Bangkok one time, but that was the extent of my phoning home til I got to Ft Lewis, WA when I came back home after my final tour in RVN.

27. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    I unnerstood what my mom went thru when my oldest VOULTEERED to go to Afghanistan with an Infantry unie (36th ID), but you're so right; we've gotta put our Faith in God that he'll take care of our kids whilst they're in harms way.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Deb

Deb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +255 / 0 / -0
    LG~ Both kids is gonna be tough....I am always around if you need to talk...I will PM you my phone number if you never need it...Rexy did the same for me. Maybe we can get a chain going...

But you raised two unselfish, brave individuals. Be proud of that. In a world where so many kids are doing such destructive things. I live east of cleveland the news yesterday as a group of kids 14-17 that beat a homeless man to death coming out a liquor store.

I know just from my daughter she has changed me forever....and I will never look at the world quite the same way again. And it's amazing is when you do start talking about it all, how many people can either relate or share the same feelings.

29. Lightning's Girl

Ratings:
    +1,148 / 5 / -0
    This is very true.

On the nursing website I moderate, we have a similar thread with probably a thousand posts on it from members who are, have been, or have family in the Armed Forces. Most of the regular participants are parents of military men and women serving in Iraq and Afghanistan, but a number of members post on the thread to say "Thanks" to our family members in the service, or to tell us they think we are heroes too.

That one, I don't really get---I certainly don't consider myself any sort of hero, my daughter is the one who deserves the props. All we military families can do is put one foot in front of the other every day, keep our fears to ourselves, pray a lot, and let our kids know how proud we are of them. That's hardly heroism........just survival.:yes:

30. Deb

Deb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +255 / 0 / -0
    One thing we can do in public is if you see someone with a vet cap on or a tshirt......don't be afraid to thank a stranger. Been doing that more and and mostly they tear up.