1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

The Military Family Support Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lightning's Girl, Jun 26, 2008.

1. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +713 / 0 / -0
    I'd like to take a moment to thank someone who did not serve but I feel is a great American none the less, my friend Tony the Trumpetman.

This gentleman who I have known for only 4 or 5 years, and then only through tailgates and a message board, took his own time away from work and his busy scheduled to come attend and play taps for my father in law's memorial service.

Having it played live and by someone whom I consider a friend of my family made an already moving experience even more so. Furthermore it allowed me to feel that I had done something to support my beloved wife and her family in their time of grief. Talking with Tony about my father in law and hearing him talk about his father who is buried nearby it is easy to hear how much he loves this country we are all so blessed to live in.

On behalf of me and my family,

Thank You Trumpetman

:icon_toast:
    • Like Like x 2
  2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Tony's Da Man!! :tup: :icon_toast:
  3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    It was entirely my honor to perform TAPS for your father-in-law today. The Riverside National Cemetary is really a sceanic and very well laid out resting place for our veterans.

What I did not tell you was that area (Stage 2) was the same staging area where I played TAPS for my own dad in 2003. It was the first time I had been back to that same spot in 6 years. I was not expecting the same staging area since they have several at that national cemetary. It really threw me back and for a moment and for an instant, I was burying my own father.

I have been asked if I thought it was disrespectful to play TAPS at the games because of the significance of the song. I have mentally arm wrestled with the thought it might not be cool to play even in jest. I still ask myself from time to time such as today.....but....no one at the 'gaters has complained so ....

Anyway, it was a pleasure to meet your family. Respects.

T
    • Like Like x 2
  4. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Well done, Tony; when I get back to 'Dago, I'd consider it an honor if you took me there.

My kin are buried at Ft Rosecrans.
  5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    Some interesting stats I learned about the Riverside National Cemetary is that it is 1/3 full. It will rest just over 2 million people and be 100% full in 2065. It is the busiest National Cemetary at 35-75 burials on any given day. The Riverside Symphony plays at the outdoor theatre on holidays and will seat 8,000 people for these events.

Interesting tid bit: The National Cemetaries no longer inserts the spent rounds (three generally) from the 21 gun salute volley into the folded American flag presented to the next of kin.

Apparently, someone tried to board a plane and the folded American flag and the spent rounds inserted into it set off the alarms (gun power and metal). The airport security people wanted the guy to unfold the flag and that is a protocol no-no so you can imagine the rest.....
  6. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    Done deal.

Ft. Rosecrans is beyond beautiful the way it overlooks the ocean. That was my dad's first choice but it was full. Riverside I thought would be sort of second class but no way. That place is nice from the moment you get through the gate. Lake, fountains, exceptionally manicured grass, markers which all lay flat and never upright, they have it together at that place. Classy all the way. :tup:
  7. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    More Homeland Security Bullshit!! :icon_evil:
  8. TheLash

Ratings Received:
    +713 / 0 / -0
    I blame the Islamo-Fascists:icon_sad:

Agree w/ Tony tho. I was amazed at the beauty & serenity of Riverside National. Nothing second class about it at all.

Among the family attending was the wife of my nephew who is currently in Iraq. I was talking with her afterwards about how impressed I was that she came to the funeral even though she had never met him since I was sure it would be hard for her to not imagine having to go through the same thing someday. She said that she was fine until TAPS started and they began folding the flag. All of my respect goes out also to the families of those who serve.
  9. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    The military are kind of sticklers for protocol hence the open ended timeframe to get a color guard/21 gun salute. I told Christine's brother I would be available if the family decides to have a color guard/21 gun salute. I know the family wanted to keep it simple but the national cemetary services are part of the standard no cost ceremonies.

It was beyond cool to get a LIVE trumpeter and not some recording. It is more dignified in my mind versus a recording because it comes from the players heart. :flag:

Every TAPS is a bit different whether it be vibrato, length of note held, slurring versus staccato etc etc. Again, this is something many do not know. It will never be played again exactly - forever. To me that is special and I know all my family who served in the military and are looking down from wherever are high fiving all of us for making it "happen".

One of the most famous gaffes in playing TAPS which some do not know about happened when President Kennedy was assassinated. The trumpet player screwed up TAPS royally 3 times. This is a 24 note song played either on a bugle (on the video linky) or on a trumpet with the 1st and 3rd valves depressed. Still to this day, I do not know how I played that song for my dad without screwing it up. :bolt:

10. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    I have not posted the fact that if anyone has a military family member who needs me to play TAPS at the National Cemetaries here in So Cali., let me know. :tup:

I would be honored to play TAPS for anyone associated with this forum (except for a few of you shittheads - go to hell) :lol: :icon_twisted:

Seriously, all bullshiitting aside, let me know.

:tup: :bolt: :flag:
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,132 / 4 / -0
    Well, with two kids in the Army, I pray my family will never require your services, Trumpie.......but it's good to know I could ask you to play TAPS if the need were ever to arise.
  12. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    He'd do it in half a heartbeat, Darlin, with tears streaming down his face.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,280 / 12 / -5
    Wow...just saw this now.

Both of my parents were laid to rest there. My Dad was a veteran of Korea and Vietnam. Mom was too young to enlist, but was granted early entrance to the military. Back then records of women serving via early entrance weren't always up to date. As a result, Riverside couldn't find her records. But since she was married to veteran, she could be buried with him.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Red, White and Blue, Trhough and Through

Jeff Passan is a national baseball writer

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. – The flag traveled around the world and through the deserts of Afghanistan and Iraq. Sgt. Felix Perez brought it from home as a reminder and an amulet. The flag never left his Army backpack.

It accompanied Perez to Dolphin Stadium on Tuesday night. He needed some luck for his team, the United States, in its must-win World Baseball Classic game against Puerto Rico. Perez wore a Team USA hat and a Team USA hoodie, and his little sister, Jessica, draped his flag across her shoulders. The United States’ 6-5 come-from-behind victory in the ninth inning sent them into a frenzy. She danced around. He sat in his motorized wheelchair and roared.

On the way out, the 27-year-old Perez placed the flag in his lap and leaned over to a security guard manning Gate G. He was hoping some players from Team USA might sign it. The security guard led Perez and his sister to the U.S. clubhouse, and the flag went inside.

“The next thing I know,” Perez said, “I’m getting called to come back in there.”

And so began the coolest 30 minutes of Felix Perez’s life. On an evening when he felt especially proud to be an American – when a group of his sporting heroes wearing his country’s name across their chests banded together to win a game they had no business winning – Perez found himself surrounded by them, doused with celebratory Miller Lites, with the American flag that was with him during the worst moment of his life passed around the room and signed by every player on the team.

“Everybody,” Perez said.

Then they handed him a ball filled with signatures.

“Everybody,” Perez said.

The half-hour went too fast. Jimmy Rollins, who scored the winning run, wanted to chat more. David Wright, who drove it in, couldn’t hear enough about how the New York Mets are Perez’s favorite team. Almost half the team surrounded Perez for a photograph, the flag draped around his torso, a smile on every face, and none brighter than his.

“I’m just happy to see him happy,” Jessica said.

It’s been four years since Perez returned from the Middle East, where he spent four years. He enlisted after his 17th birthday and was in Afghanistan by the time he turned 20. He doesn’t like to talk about his injury. Some wounds don’t heal.

Perez played ball growing up in North Bergen, N.J., and still loves watching the sport. He attended Team USA’s first WBC game here, an 11-1 mercy-rule loss to Puerto Rico. When the Americans beat the Netherlands to stay alive, Perez woke up at 9 the next morning, called the box office and bought three tickets.

The stadium, practically empty at first pitch, filled to 13,224 by game’s end. It deserved more eyes. Puerto Rico scored in the sixth inning to break a 3-3 tie and tacked on an insurance run in the ninth for a two-run lead. The Americans, about to get bumped from the second straight WBC before the semifinals, needed something divine. Shane Victorino singled to right field. Brian Roberts singled to center. And then Roberts, who had joined Team USA just two days earlier to replace the injured Dustin Pedroia, stole second base – even though coaches laid down the hold sign. Roberts hadn’t quite learned the signs yet.

A walk to Rollins, and another to Kevin Youkilis, and the U.S. had cut the deficit to one run. Wright laced a 2-1 pitch from Fernando Cabrera down the right-field line, and out charged all of Team USA, from the bench and the bullpen, in a bull rush to home plate, then to greet Wright. His teammates kept pushing Wright, joyous and unbridled shoves, until he fell down and they buried his face in the dirt.

“I never thought that we’d be dog piling in March,” Wright said.

No one did. The malaise that clouded the previous games involving Team USA seemed infectious. For every Felix Perez, there were dozens, sometimes hundreds, of fans rooting for the opposing team. Every WBC game thus far, even the ones in Florida, felt like it was on the road.

Not even that dampened the Americans’ enthusiasm. They play Venezuela on Wednesday to determine seeding in Los Angeles, where they’ll face either Korea or the winner of Wednesday’s Japan-Cuba knockout game – and perhaps with a few more supporters who can appreciate what Team USA accomplished Tuesday.

“That was the greatest game I’ve ever been a part of,” catcher Brian McCann said. “Ever.”

Same went for Perez. He said he would rather Team USA win the WBC than the Mets win a World Series.

“We’re the U.S.,” Perez said. “This is our game. … This is the world. You’re representing your country. What is more honorable than representing your country?”

Team USA’s manager, Davey Johnson, grew up an Army brat, his father a prisoner-of-war in World War II.

“There is nothing more honorable,” he said.

Wright was raised near Naval Station Norfolk, one of the largest military bases in the country.

“When you see those guys and get a chance to see how much it means to them, that makes it extra special,” he said. “They take a lot of pride in that red, white and blue, and to have USA across your chest and have supporters like that – that’s what this tournament means.”

Outside the clubhouse, Perez started moving toward the stadium exit. His dad, Felix, had called. He was wondering where Perez and Jessica had gone. They were headed back to the car, Jessica said. They had a pretty amazing souvenir.

A minute later, Rollins walked by and spotted Perez.

“All right, baby,” he said. “Keep a smile on your face.”

“Hey,” Perez said, “as long as you keep swinging the bat, I’ll be happy.”

Perez lifted his right arm as high as he could to wave goodbye. He wasn’t sure he’d see these guys again. He said he might fly to Los Angeles for the finals. He doesn’t know.

Perez moved his hands onto the flag. It’s a struggle, but he wanted to touch his prize. He plans on hanging it next to his other American flag, the one his friends in the 82nd Airborne sent to him when he was injured.

The old flag’s traveling days are over. Sgt. Felix Perez brought it to his home Tuesday night as a reminder and an amulet. The flag never will leave his heart.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Lightning's Girl

Ratings Received:
    +1,132 / 4 / -0
    Now THAT is an awesome story.....two thumbs waaaaaaay up!!!!!:thumbup:
    • Like Like x 1
  16. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Shamelessly ripped off from Sports Jabber.net :icon_eek: :flag:
    • Like Like x 1
  17. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6

I am sorry to hear of your loss, may he Rest In Peace!
    • Like Like x 2
  18. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    :icon_rofl:

great read!
    • Like Like x 1
  19. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    Well it looks like Chris will be home for his 21st Birthday which will be July 15th. Then 2 weeks to in process, then a 20 day leave. It looks like he will be here for the Preseason Game with the Seahawks. According to him he is on his last mission!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flag:
    • Like Like x 1
  20. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
  21. TheLash

Ratings Received:
    +713 / 0 / -0
    Right On!:flag:
  22. Lightning's Girl

Ratings Received:
    +1,132 / 4 / -0
    That's great news, H8er!!:abq2::flag:

I just realized, your Chris is exactly four months older than my Chris. Mine, however, will be turning 21 in Iraq........some celebration, huh? :tdown:
    • Like Like x 1
  23. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6

I can say it now, mine will be home next month!!!

We need to get them all back here on American soil ASAP!
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Lightning's Girl

Ratings Received:
    +1,132 / 4 / -0
    :flag:

That is GREAT NEWS, H8er!!!:abq2::abq1::yes::tup:

I can tell you from experience that's there is nothing quite like having your child arrive safely on American soil after a deployment. It's kinda like Christmas, Easter, and Thanksgiving all rolled into one, and you're so damn glad they've made it back that you go a little ape-**** for a while........well, at least I did. :lol:

I'm tickled pink for you and your son both, and wish you the happiest of reunions!!!:icon_toast:
    • Like Like x 2
  25. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    He will turn 21 on the day he gets back onto American soil.

I have all ready told him that he is going to buy the first beer when we get to our seats for the Seattle Game. He asked me why, and I told him

"So they can card you, and when you flip your ID out to show them it, you can tell them that you just got back from a 15 month Deployment in Iraq"

and he replyed,

"Oh yea, I forgot about that"

I'll give him the $$$$ of course.
    • Like Like x 1
  26. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    hey dad whats uo i have some news for you i left that little fob and now i am at balad in transiet housing i am soon to leave here in less than a week then i will go to kuwait and i will be there for about a week and then i fly to ft campbell. so i will be home soon i hope this finds you safe and well

:icon_banana::abq2::abq1::icon_banana::abq2::abq1:
  27. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    :tup: :flag:
  28. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    the next time I talk to him on the phone, he will be on American soil FOR GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At least until he leaves for Afghanistan
    • Like Like x 1
  29. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    Chris said that there are 10 Units before him to get out of there, and now these things are making it impossible to get out of there. :icon_evil:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/mcclatchy/20090705/sc_mcclatchy/3266069

BAGHDAD — Shamal.

Accented on the second syllable, that means the ill wind that blows in summer across Iraq , and other countries in the region, stirring sandstorms in its wake.

Vice President Joe Biden found out late last week what 25 million Iraqis have known for a long time-everybody talks about them, but nobody can do anything about them. His chopper flight from a U.S. base to the International Zone was canceled when a shamal turned the skies over Baghdad and beyond the same color as Biden's khaki desert boots.

He wound up donning body armor and a helmet for a caravan to his meetings with Iraqi leaders and others. Several NFL coaches visiting troops in Iraq also found their plane to Kuwait delayed a day.

That same storm still hovers over the capital. It coats parked cars in a tan frosting. It seeps under windowsills and doorways. It grits the teeth and stings the eyes. It clogs rifles and etches scrimshaw across sniper scopes.

And it kills people.

Three in Diyala Province this week, where 800 others were hospitalized with breathing and related ailments. Dr. Jeleel al Shammeri, head of the health department in Karkh in west Baghdad , said 13 major hospitals and 84 clinics had received several thousand patients over the last two days, many of them children. Dr. Ali Bustan , head of the health department in Rusafa in eastern Baghdad , said ERs had taken in 800 to 900 patients since Saturday night. "Thank God, we have not run out of medication," he said.

Sandstorms pose diplomatic as well as medical and weather problems. Baghdad negotiators are locked in a battle with Istanbul over how much water from the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers — which start in Turkey — its neighbor is willing to release to the southwest for Iraqi farms and factories. A lack of irrigation water has caused thousands of acres of agricultural land to dry up. Just this week, the government signed an agreement with an Iranian delegation to limit such "desertification."

Sandstorms and their duststorm cousins are nothing new in these parts, of course. Iraq averages only 4 to just over 6 { inches of rainfall a year. The Sahara Desert, which is the size of the United States , is just a short jet stream hop to the west. Iraq itself is half desert.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration says the sham al causing the storms combines two separate weather systems. One is a sub-tropical jet stream pushing north from Arabia, the other a polar jet stream shoving south from Europe .

When they meet, they form a northwest wind that fills the sky with sand and dust. Two of the ancients' elements, earth and air, become one. Gusts can reach 50 miles an hour. Sometimes, as happened last year and much more often in recent years, the sandstorms balloon into fronts tens of miles wide, maybe a half-mile high, that blot out the sun.

For days. Or, in recent years, longer.

Evidence is mounting that today's sandstorms are worse than in the past. Ibrahim Shareef , head of the desertification department in the Ministry of the Environment , notes that dusty days like Saturday in Iraq used to total only about eight times a year. Now it's one or two days a week.
  30. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +2,022 / 0 / -0
    Sorry h8er. I sure hope he gets home soon. :flag: