1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

The Military Family Support Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lightning's Girl, Jun 26, 2008.

1. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    He is supposed to be on American soil next week, he called yesterday, stuck there. His spirits are high, but you can tell after 15 months, he wants out of there.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,132 / 4 / -0
    Oh, no ****.........Sorry your reunion's been postponed:no:

Just think, it'll be all the sweeter when he finally DOES get home.:flag:

My Chris leaves for Kuwait on the 28th of next month, then it's on to Iraq for his own 15-month stint. I can't even imagine him being gone that long, but I guess we'll all have to get through it, just as we did when our daughter went over there in 2007. She wasn't in country as long, and she certainly was never in the kind of danger Chris will be, but it seemed like an eternity at the time and we weren't sorry when her deployment was cut short by a few months. Next time won't be quite so cushy: she's headed to Asscrackistan sometime this winter, and probably will be there the full 15 months.

Needless to say, I am NOT looking forward to any of this.:no:
    • Like Like x 2
  3. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    Chris and her will be over there at the same time.
  4. Lightning's Girl

Ratings Received:
    +1,132 / 4 / -0
    Yeah.........it blows.

Being a military parent is like having a son- or daughter-in-law that you don't particularly care for, but who provides your child with something that helps make them the best person they can be. Both these Army brats of mine are more grown-up, more complete somehow than most kids their ages, and it's from having to shoulder a lot of responsibility early on. Melanie was put in charge of a squad of 50 other female recruits during boot camp, when she was only 18 years old. Chris is not quite 21 and is learning a little slower than she did, but I have no doubts he'll do what he needs to do when he needs to do it, and he'll succeed as well.
  5. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    I came out a better person for having served.

I understand what they are going through. Each Branch has its own discipline. It takes a special person to order someone to go INTO Harms way; it takes another to do it! The Chain of Command is very structured, and in some ways it is made of Blood, so it is place for a reason.
  6. Lightning's Girl

Ratings Received:
    +1,132 / 4 / -0
    Thanks, H8er. I hear what you're saying, and I know it's true.:flag:
  7. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
  8. Lightning's Girl

Ratings Received:
    +1,132 / 4 / -0
  9. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    He called 2 hours ago, he is now in Kuwait, but they are stuck.

It seems the Motor Pools Conex Box has a hole in it, and it will not pass the Customs Inspection. They have to take everything out of that box and place in another Conex box, and because Chris is the only one with a Fork lift license, he will be working along side 7 others. They are at a place where they shut down for the weekend. Monday it’s going to be an all out work party till you get it done job. They have a lot of tool boxes and tools and some heavy equipment in there.
  10. Lightning's Girl

Ratings Received:
    +1,132 / 4 / -0
    Something like that happened when Melanie was headed home last September---she got stuck in friggin Kuwait for something like 5 extra days. Well, they don't call that a SNAFU for nothing!!:tdown:
  11. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    Yup, its a SNAFU. But it would not be the Military if it didnt happen. The whole Company is on hold, and they send just 7 guys. From what Chris said, the Company is in one part of Kuwait, and they had to fly to get where they are at. Chris did say they put them up in a nice Hotel, and he is enjoying the mini break. Once they get everything done, and the Inspection passes, they fly back to meet up with the rest of the Company, then its home word bound!
  12. Lightning's Girl

Ratings Received:
    +1,132 / 4 / -0
    I'll bet they're gonna work like dogs so they can get out of there!! I remember Melanie saying that it seemed like the longest part of her entire deployment was that extra time they were stuck in Kuwait. Anyway, it's almost time to take down those yellow ribbons and welcome your conquering hero HOME!!!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  13. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    ya know, thats has to be the best thing I have heard in what seems an eternity. I would love to be able to go back there and meet him, (A) I am stuck in a class that l cannot get out of (B) I cant afford it right now. BUT he will be here in 2 weeks, and we are headed to Vegas!!!!!!
  14. Lightning's Girl

Ratings Received:
    +1,132 / 4 / -0
    That is AWESOME!!! I hope you guys win a gazillion dollars!!!
  15. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    Well he is on American soil, they landed late Thursday afternoon. He has been in processing since Friday. And it looks like he will be here in San Diego on the 27th, I cant freaking wait!!!!!!

:abq2::abq1::abq2::abq1::abq2::abq1:
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Lightning's Girl

Ratings Received:
    +1,132 / 4 / -0
    Only a few more hours now...........I'm so happy for ya, H8er!! And say Hi to your son for me!:tup:
    • Like Like x 1
  17. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Welcoming Home a Hero - Fallen Marine LCpl Brandon Lara

• Like Like x 2
  18. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6

There we were sitting in a bar in Vegas, losing our butts, BUT we were having a great time together. Monday night I told him that we were headed to the bar to have a beer and watch the Padre game.

I asked him what really happened in Iraq.

Back in November he was in a convoy and one of the trucks hit an IUD, no one was hurt, but weapons were drawn and with him on the 50 Cal, the pucker power was really high.

The very first night when that mortar hit less than a 100 feet from him, he did get hit from flying dirt.

I asked him if Mom knew all of this, and he said no.

I told him she doesnt need to know all of this.

I thank god he is on American Soil, but I know that he is headed to Asscrackastan.
  19. Lightning's Girl

Ratings Received:
    +1,132 / 4 / -0
    Yep, that's where my little girl is headed next.:tdown:

In the meantime, my son has been here for his two weeks' pre-deployment leave; he has to go back Sunday night, and he leaves for Iraq on Sept.15th. He's looking forward to going, but at the same time he's pretty nervous about it........so nervous that at church last Sunday, he got up in the middle of the service, went up to the sanctuary and asked our pastor to pray for him and his fellow troops. Well, there wasn't a dry eye in the entire building at that point.......and the good thing is, there'll be more than just his family praying for him while he's over there.

It's going to be a lonnnnnnnng 15 months, and then it'll be even MORE stressful when my daughter goes to The Crack for her next deployment sometime this winter.

I'm glad your Chris is done with it for now. Enjoy your time with him.......Lord knows you both deserve it!!!
  20. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6

Well tell him thank you for serving, and that he is not alone.

Once he gets over there and gets into a routine the time will go by faster. Tell him to stay busy, an idle mind over there is not good. Tell him that as he stands the watch at 2:00 in the morning, we are all there with him; we are with him every step. Get his email address, and stay in touch with him that way. Tell him to bring some flea collars and flea powder. The powder goes around his bed post’s, and to wear the collars on his ankles. The sand fleas over there can be very terrible. It worked with my Chris; then again he might be going to a part of the country where he does not have to worry about them
  21. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    Welcoming Home a Hero - Fallen Marine LCpl Brandon Lara

May he RIP, it looks like he touched the hearts of an entire community.
  22. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Student veterans to honor war dead

UNION-TRIBUNE

2:00 a.m. October 15, 2009

COLLEGE AREA — San Diego State University student veterans will gather tomorrow at the campus's war memorial in memory of service members who have died in combat.

The service, being held for the 13th consecutive year, will begin at 9:30 a.m. on Aztec Green near the transit station.

Guest speakers will include former California Gov. and San Diego Mayor Pete Wilson and SDSU President Stephen Weber.

Union-Tribune

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stor...erans-honor-war-dead/?education&zIndex=182991

I might hafta go.
  23. Lightning's Girl

Ratings Received:
    +1,132 / 4 / -0
    Today is my son Christopher's 21st birthday. He is celebrating it in Iraq with nonalcoholic beer and what he calls a leg-beating (yup, it's exactly what it sounds like). He sounds like he's grown up ten years' worth in the month he's been in country.........which is not a bad thing.:flag:
  24. LaFifi

LaFifi BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello...on page 23 on 10/14/2008 there is a posting about Edwin R. Grottke Jr. He was my father. I am curious as to why everytime I find a posting about him everyone seems to think that he was a frenchy. My father was born in Elizabeth, N. J. on March 2, 1938 and grew up in Chicago, Illinois. My mother is the frenchy. If teh person who made the posting knew my father, I would love to hear from you.

Elisabeth Shumock
    LaFifi40@aol.com
  25. Lightning's Girl

Ratings Received:
    +1,132 / 4 / -0
    CHRISTOPHER is HOME!!!:flag:

He was part of the 4th Stryker Brigade, AKA the Last Patrol, which was the last combat unit to leave Iraq. He was even on the news one night last week. What great stories he'll have to tell his kids and grandkids, how he was a part of history. :yes:

Tonight, he called from Tacoma to say he was out and about with friends, enjoying the sights and sounds of FREEDOM for a while and then planning to "go do some gentleman things" later. I had to laugh; ever the gentleman himself, Chris was basically telling his Mom he was gonna eat, drink and be merry, and then get laid!!:lol:

As a semi-rig blasted past him on the street, he said "Oh, wow, smell that!" I asked him if he thought trucks farting exhaust smelled good for some reason, and he answered, "It's better than burning poop........that's what Iraq smelled like."

Welcome home Son!!!!:abq1::abq1::abq1: