1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

The next Head Coach of the San Diego Chargers....

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,689 / 39 / -8
    The following is a list of some of the possible candidates to fill the role of the soon to be vacant Head Coaching position of the San Diego Chargers; this list is not all inclusive, nor does it represent any desire, stated or otherwise to have to position filled by any of the people discussed below. Nor should you attempt to read into the list any importance given to order the names are listed in.

That said, please feel free to add to the list, or further discuss those already listed.

Here we go-
    Mike Holmgren, Unemployed – With Head Coaching and GM experience (measure it however you are want to) Mike has apparently already been talking with Jerry Jones about taking on the Head Coaching job at Dallas. Given the criticism Jones is receiving about his ability to run the team, play GM and motivate this may be a good fit. I for one would not be overly thrilled with Holmgren as the Chargers Head Coach. Don’t get me wrong, he did well in Green Bay, but nothing I have seen since tells me he is able to repeat that just through his coaching abilities. Holmgren’s win loss record is 161-111 with the Packers and Seahawks. He has led his teams to three Super Bowls, winning one with Green Bay. Of 17 seasons as a Head Coach, his teams have made the playoffs 12 seasons.

Jon Gruden, Commentator – Face it, a lot of Chargers fans want Chucky. I don’t know, maybe it is they think he can squint at the players and intimidate them… Gruden is from the Holmgren tree of coaching, he was the last Head Coach of a Raiders team that saw a winning season (to the best of my memory), and he won a Super Bowl with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He has a record of 95-81 as a head coach. Good but does not curl my toes, if you will. That said… Norv Turners record was much worse. Gruden is a favorite of the rumor mill, he has been rumored to be going to the University of Miami, Oregon, and Louisville. He is also rumored to be very interested in the Head Coaching job of Philadelphia if it should open up this season. One thing can be said for Gruden, he is a player’s coach. Where ever he has gone players loved playing for him. The only question now, is can he work a way out of his contract with ESPN as a Monday Night Commentator?

Bill Cowher Analyst – I am on record as championing the “Say No To The Chin” campaign. Bill like Jon Gruden is a player’s coach who frequents the rumor mill. He has a respectable record of 149-90 as a head coach, all with the Steelers. Of his 15 seasons as Head Coach of the Steelers, 10 saw the playoffs. His single Super Bowl Victory came in his 14th season as Head Coach. My primary concern is based on his performance I tend to think that he is a lot like his mentor Marty Schottenheimer; A coach who can get you to the playoffs but struggles to take you further. That said, Bill led the Steelers to 8 division titles and a Super Bowl Championship. At a time when the Chargers are having their spirit and heart questioned after losing 3 games in which they led in the first half, maybe Bill could be what they need.

Brian Billick, Analyst – Oye Vey! I have come to the conclusion that I just don’t like any Head Coach candidate I am writing about. Billick, has a record of 80 - 64, all with the Ravens. He won a Super Boowl with arguably one of the greatest defenses to take the field in 2000. In his 9 seasons with Baltimore only four saw his team making the post season.

Mike Zimmer, Coordinator, Bengals – Mike has assisted at the collegiate and pro levels including Defensive Backs Coach of the Cowboys and DC of the Falcons. Zimmer was named assistant of the year in 2009 which helped his stock rise as a young Head Coaching candidate.

Jay Gruden, Offensive Coordinator, Bengals – Jay, brother of Jon is another Bengal’s assistant. He is the Offensive Coordinator of the Bengals. He was the Head Coach of the Florida Tuskers of the United Football League. He also has won four Arena League titles.

Dom Capers, Defensive Coordinator, Packers – Dom is a defensive minded coach. He is the current Defensive Coordinator of the Green Bay packers, and had previous Head Coaching experience with Carolina and Houston. His 8 year head coaching record shows that he helped develop two expansion teams. 48-80 as head coach. He took Carolina to the playoffs, and the Championship game in their second season of existence. Unfortunately that one season was the only season a Dom Capers team had a winning season. Dom is still respected in the coaching community, and will get a shot as a head coach elsewhere. It will be interesting to see what he can do with a non-expansion team.

Rich Bisaccia, Assistant Head Coach/Special Teams Coach – Let’s face it… Rich has the inside track as the next Head Coach. He is the current assistant head coach, and the Spanos’ love continuity. Rich main experience has been as the special teams coach of the Buccaneers from 2002 – 2010. He was then hired in the same capacity by the Chargers and given the Assistant head Coach title. If the wheels keep coming off of the Yugo like they have been, the Chargers may get an opportunity to test drive Bisaccia as the interim Head Coach.

Dave Toub, Special Teams Coordinator, Bears – I will be honest. I have never heard much about Dave Toub, nor have I ever heard of a Special Teams Coordinator. That said, Chicago has had one impressive special teams unit for years. Like Rich Bisaccia, he has spent all his time in the Special Teams field. That said he did interview for the open Miami Dolphins Head Coaching job last year.

Rob Ryan, Defensive Coordinator, Cowboys – One of the Ryan brothers, and perhaps the least annoying one. Rob would get along with clipboard Jesus, as they both sport the beard and long locks… Rob’s coaching background is varied; he has spent time as a running backs coach, defensive line, Linebackers coach, defensive backs coach and Defensive Coordinator. This I would think plays in his favor as he has had to focus on multiple positions on both sides of the ball. His defenses always play tough and seem to get the most out of their players. That said, I would hope that he would do less empty boasting than his brother does as head coach of the Jets.

Winston Moss, Assistant head Coach, Packers – Winston is another Assistant Head Coach, apparently they are all the rave around the NFL this holiday season. He is with the Green Bay Packers as AHC, after being promoted from the Linebackers Coach position in 2007. When the Packers cleaned house on the defensive side of the ball Winston was the only defensive coach retained. He has already interviewed for head coaching jobs, including the vacancy at the Raiders this last season. Rest assured, the Spector of Ole Al will ensure he gets another shot at that position, providing the Spanos don’t remove the possibility.

Perry Fewell, Defensive Coordinator, Giants –he was recently the Buffalo Bills interim head coach. He has interviewed for four Head Coaching positions that I know of to date. He has 14 years of NFL coaching experience, mostly on the defensive side of the ball.

Gary Patterson, Head Coach TCU – Gary has a respectable 115-34 record in 12 seasons as head coach of TCU. I don’t know a lot about Gary’s desire to make the jump to the NFL, but he is rumored to be on a few radars. I would think it would have to be a perfect fit for him, as he is used to getting the players he wants. He would need a GM who is willing to work with the Head Coach to build the team.

Les Miles, Head Coach LSU – Les has coached at Oklahoma State and LSU. He has a National Championship Conference division title and Conference title to his credit. Les is a frequent rider on the rumor mill merry-go-round. In 2011 there were few vacancies at the NFL level that Les was not being rumored to fill. There are other reports that laugh at the possibility of Les making a jump to the NFL, be it for control, or comfort. Take it for what you will. To the question of if the Chargers would make a play for him, he does seem to be the Offensive type coach the Chargers love, as well as having previous Professional Coaching experience with the Cowboys as their Tight Ends Coach from 1998 – 2000.

Other College Names:
    I know this is weak, but I am not a person who follows or knows a lot about College football. These names have been batted around in the past as possible College Coaches ready to make the jump:

Will Muschamp – Florida
    Al Golden – U of Miami
    Kirk Ferentz – Iowa
    Kyle Whittingham – Utah (Weddle connection?)
    Bob Stoops - Oklahoma
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    :roflmao:
  3. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings Received:
    +222 / 1 / -1
    I'd add Rob Chudzkinski to the list. Knows the team, knows the players, got a good offensive game, and seemed to work well with Rivers, our offense hasn't been the same since he left for Carolina.​
    Not sure if he's the best candidate, but worth consideration in my opinion.​
  4. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings Received:
    +886 / 0 / -0
    It will be Jon Gruden.
  5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I don;t know who the best option is, but I do believe that Norv is a worse option than every single one of those guys
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +773 / 5 / -0
    I just heard that Phil Jackson threw his hat into the ring...
    • Funny Funny x 3
  7. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings Received:
    +886 / 0 / -0
    AJ will save his job by bringing in Chucky. For better or worse... it's going down at season's end.
  8. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Not so sure AJ is safe either. Unfortunately I think the new GM will have the name of John Spanos.
  9. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    I see a lot of J. Spanos hate on the board, and I'm just curious, why?
  10. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings Received:
    +886 / 0 / -0
    Because he's a Spanos. And because nepotism is generally frowned upon.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,689 / 39 / -8
    Report have him wanting a big market team (e.g. Philly)
  12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I have also heard he wants more control than just HC, and I am not sure if I am comfortable with any HC being GM as well
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +118 / 4 / -1
    Not one mention of Chip Kelly?

I've actually had conversations with Bryan Bennett about Chip in the NFL, and hes thoroughly convinced of it. He actually said that everything they do, he makes the QBs learn the concepts out of the pro style offense, to prepare them for the NFL, gives you a sense of how well he knows his scheme and how to use his scheme in the NFL. He's got the best personality for a NFL HC ive seen in a while. He's very Sith Lord esque (BB) in his style. Keeps everything very confidential, knows how to get guys that fit HIS scheme, and doesnt worry about what everyone else is doing.

Furthermore, i've watched every Oregon game this year (as a student here), and its amazing how our scheme has changed. If you watch an occasional Oregon game, you'll just think, its the same old spread option attack that they always had, its not any different. From the days of Dennis Dixon, he went through a period of 2 QB's that couldn't throw to save their lives. But he obtained smart QBs that will always make the right reads and doing the right thing. He's an expert at maniuplating his scheme to adapt to the kind of players he had/has.

He's gonna make it big in the NFL somewhere, similar to the way Harbaugh did. In Chips coaching history, he's been a DB, LB, DC, QB, RB, OC and finally a HC all at the college level. He's an incredible football mind and has the mentality and drive to back it up. Hes my guy.

And for everyone who still stupidly thinks this, no he will not run the spread, no he does not need a mobile QB, and YES he will run a pro style offense, but he will keep the same ideas in his scheme.

And last but not least HE KNOWS HOW TO CLOSE GAMES, something that he obviously cant do. I'm not expecting him, but i feel that he's the guy who can bring a new culture to this team who has been known as the chokers of the NFL.
  14. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings Received:
    +886 / 0 / -0
    I agree Chip Kelly merits consideration. But I don't see Spanos being comfortable with him. He didn't even give Harbaugh a sniff and he was in his backyard for years. Gruden has been studying Chip Kelly's philosphies and his offense. In fact he was offered the OC job at Oregon by Chip Kelly. I know guys who have sat with Gruden in the boxes at Autzen stadium and talked with him about how much he loves that style. I think when Gruden returns he's going to bring that same mentality to his new team. Kelly taught the Patriots a thing or two and they're using his tactics in their offense now. Kelly appears to have all of the qualities that will make him successful in the NFL. I just don't have faith that Spanos will take that leap as he seems to have his head buried in the sand (see: AJ and Norv are still around).
  15. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +118 / 4 / -1
    Agreed. I think he'd be the best decision, but i also thing that Spanos is too big of a wuss to actually make this call.

Spanos is running this franchise scared that he's gonna make a mistake (see the SI video from Jim Trotter, absolutely dead on), as he refuses to take any risks in coaching decisions, GM decisions. Last year he refused to make a change because "there wasn't any option out there that was guaranteed to be better"....REALLY? If he needs a guarantee that someones gonna be better, then we're never going to get a new HC...
  16. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 27 / -1
    Hands off! He's coming to Arkansas.
  17. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 27 / -1
    Eh. If he can get the job done I wouldn't care.

That being said, I know nothing about his ability to do so.
  18. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    But if he couldn't get the job done, how long would it take a Spanos to fire a Spanos?
  19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 27 / -1
    Definitely a legitimate concern.

But I'm never the type to assume failure before the fact.
  20. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    There are too many other fish in the sea to choose from. I hope Dean doesn't put himself in the situation.
  21. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +118 / 4 / -1
    How many Spanos' does it take to fix an NFL franchise?
    • Funny Funny x 2
  22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 27 / -1
    Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not saying he's my first, second, or even third choice.

I'm just saying, if he was their hire (assuming they even can AJ) I wouldn't immediately throw my hands in the air, get upset, and begin to assume the worst of J. Spanos with every move he makes.

I'd give him the same benefit of the doubt I'd award any other new GM that I know nothing about going into the hire.
  23. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I'm convinced it'll have to be a mega cash-rich owner that pries Chip away from Oregon before they win a NC (and possibly even then) because they're basically bidding against Phil Knight and Nike for his services. Still not sure we see him in the league for another year or two though, possibly more.

Gruden, the only way I see it is if he manages to finagle his way out of his contract with ABC/ESPN because I don't see Spanos paying the buyout amount.

Of the guys listed above by Conc, though again I'm not sure many of them fit what I can realistically see Dean hiring, I'm actually a very staunch Dave Toub supporter. He's meticulous, organized, and his players will run headlong through brick walls for him. The benefit, as we've in Baltimore, of hiring a ST coordinator as a HC is that you're not going to have the HC trying to pull double-duty by also coordinating one of the offensive or defensive units.

Another name I'll throw out there, and I know it'll probably meet with plenty of "we don't want a retread" comments, is Andy Reid. At this point it's pretty much a foregone conclusion he's going to get canned in Philly. The guy is a Southern California native, owns a home on the beach in SD, and has the past success as a HC that will appeal to Dean. I fear greatly giving him full-blown personnel control, but I also doubt that Dean and John will actually agree to give him that; there is the possibility that someone who he has coached alongside in the past is brought in as a buffer between Reid and the FO like Billick - who as a strictly personnel guy I actually like the idea of, just keep him the hell away from in-game strategy. Trust me, Reid's not without his knocks, I won't deny it. He has the same bad tendency to stick too long with "his guys" that Norv does, and he can't seem to identify a quality DC to save his life ever since Jim Johnson died. But on the very minimal positive front, Andy loves the beef and has never shied away from wanting to draft trench guys early and often.
    • Like Like x 1
  24. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    All of them.
    Agreeing to sell the team.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,689 / 39 / -8
    Fire him? Wont happen. Reasign him to other duties with a shiny new title? Maybe.
  26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 27 / -1
    Call it what you will. If the end result is him no longer being the GM that would be all that matters.

(Under the presumption he proves to suck at the job, of course)
  27. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +447 / 2 / -1
    Add Mike McCoy to the list. OC for Denver. Dude has worked miracles up there.
  28. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings Received:
    +886 / 0 / -0
    You forgot the little :sarcasm: smilie.
  29. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +507 / 13 / -3
    I really don't want a coach who's been out of the league for significant time. Ex., Billick, Gruden, Cowher, etc. The game has changed so much since they've been out.

I love our guys we have now, in Bisaccia & Pagano. I hope atleast one of them sticks around. Say what you want about Pagano but he has the 6th best defense in the league. He's doing his job, and doing it with a 33 year old corner who has lost his step, a corner who has not lived up to his 1st round label and two 2nd year corners playing the nickel.

Listen, I wouldn't mind Andy Reid. But the guy has made some questionable calls in Philly. Recently, hiring an OL coach as defensive coordinator. Then hiring another defensive coordinator who can't seem to get the job done.

Also doesn't seem like he can get to the players. Doesn't play to his players' strengths either. Ex, run with McCoy more, let Vick just 'play' using his instincts, etc.

I wouldn't mind Mike Zimmer, Jay Gruden, Rob Ryan, or Winston Moss.
  30. Mobius

Mobius BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    It really sucks Norv just can't seem to get it done at HC level. Such a talented OC over his career.

I as many was shocked he got another year. Doesn't help to see all our former players kicking butt, certainly could use a few of those guys.

Probably like many I don't want the Chargers to move to LA, it seems likely to happen though. Could that be enough of a draw / big market possibility to make sure we get the right guy? Who ever it may be...

We still have a shot to turn things around this season #boltup

60% of the time it works every time!
    *Sprint HIGH Speed 3G/LTE Nexus*