1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

The next Head Coach of the San Diego Chargers....

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Fouts

Fouts Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +159 / 3 / -0
    Because he could not be fired, depiste job performance. And more notably, he would not even get any consideration as a GM for any of the other 31 NFL teams. Oh, almost forgot, he also has the "Buffoon Spanos gene."
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    In Reid's defense of the current situation in Philly, I can say that there's been a good deal of speculation from pretty reliable sources that if it had been up to Andy he'd have pulled Vick quite a while ago, but he was concerned it would have a negative effect on the locker room and morale (i.e. benching the starting QB), even though it's been known for a while that Vick is basically freelancing because he's never learned to make reads (more on Vick than anyone else).

The Castillo thing, yeah... I don't get it. I can't explain it. Reid's been flailing trying to find a replacement for Jim Johnson for the last half decade. Best case scenario with Reid coming in would be to just retain Pagano, but then there needs to be some contingency plan in place because one would have to assume that sooner or later Pagano would likely be hired away.

What more worries me about Reid is that his preferred brand of West Coast Offense is far too predicated on having a mobile QB (Montana, Young, McNabb, Vick, even Foles, Kolb, and Feeley), which Rivers definitely ain't. I do think that forcing Rivers to learn a bit of a different offensive scheme has its benefits (i.e. it's easier to create new, more effective habits when applying them - and associating them - with new terminology and a new system, as opposed to trying to teach the old dog new tricks in the same old system). However, I'd prefer to see a return to a more pure Coryell-styled variant (Norv's brand really isn't as faithful as some would lead us to believe). Ernie Zampese's son is coaching in Cincy and if the kid runs a similar system to the father, I want HIM as an OC because Zampese's take on the Air Coryell was a thing of beauty.
  3. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    You know, I wanna stick up for Reid, but then again I feel like its just the downfall of his coaching career.

I feel like in Philly there's more pressure there than any other city right now. Yes, even Dallas. They labeled themselves the dream team last year, failed. Had problems with Samuel, Nhamdi, DRC and also with DeSean Jackson. Then this year, his son dying, and his team wanting to win for him and his son. I just feel like after two stressful seasons, and losing a significant family member, he will take the year off. But also, the way they've handled Vick the last two years, can he come here and do something with Rivers? Both QB's have been close to dog **** the last two years.

I think if he does come here, DRCro would follow, along with King Dunlap (Clary 2.0), Derek Landri, etc. will follow. I don't want a second generation of Philly being born here in San Diego.

But going back to what someone said, just cause he lives in San Diego doesn't mean he'll coach here. Heck, Danny Green lives in San Diego has he came up in recent years? No.

What Jay Gruden did last year with Andy Dalton was something great. He simplified things for him, and worked on the fundamentals. Something Rivers needs to go back to.
  4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    There is no defending Reid, he is the GM of that team and is responsible for Vick and the entire mess going on in Philly. We don't need a HC who is also the GM
  5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 44 / -6
    Rob Ryan, Mike Mc Coy, Chucky (maybe), Chuds, Bisaccia, Pags in no certain order.
  6. BoltFanDan

BoltFanDan BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +48 / 1 / -5
    Don't know a ton about him other than what I have learned watching all of notre dames games this year...but I really like brian kelly a lot. My bro goes there so I sort of have adopted them this year. Hell, he has them nd at 10 and 0. As far as all the retreads..I'm just meh...but you all know Spanos...he will have a short list three names...all crap no fan would ever thin k of...lol, you know like what was the last list? Norv, singletary, and ron rivera....

I fully expect something along those lines...cause that is his m.o.
    Forgive my typing...I'm on my phone...
  7. Bolt smash

Bolt smash BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    want to know if anyone would agree with Brady Hoke gettting on the list? I think he can be a Jim Harbaugh.
  8. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +800 / 5 / -0
    How about this? Put a coach's name on a piece of paper in one hand, a turd in the other, wish real hard and bring your hands together real fast. Tell me what you end up with. I guarantee you that it won't be the guy whose name you wrote on the paper. And in the meantime, today, tomorrow, and the rest of this week until the end of the season, Norv will still be the head coach of this team.
  9. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,578 / 29 / -1
    Their real OC is behind center
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +452 / 2 / -1
    He wasnt there last year and the dude took a Raider style power unning deep throwing offense and turned it into a read option offense overnight for Tebow. Our head coach cant even change the play calls from 1st to 2nd half.
  11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Philly is like the Jets. You've got an owner and a city where quite frankly the word "rebuild" is not an option. Less so the city, and more the owner in the case of the Eagles than the Jets, but the new breed of Eagles fans (the ones that aren't multi-generational) don't have the fan-stamina that the old school Eagles fans of the 70's who suffered through getting spanked regularly pre-Vermeil after so many years of success. That new breed is not likely to tolerate blowing up the team and starting from scratch, and yet they're ironically the first ones to demand some drastic change be made mid-season (e.g. dump McNabb for Kolb, dump McNabb for Vick, dump Vick in the preseason for Foles).

Andy Reid doesn't (and never has) strike me as the kind of personnel guy who can rebuild and win at the same time. And like I said, I'm not in favor of gifting the guy personnel control. Take him as purely a coach, and I think there's something to be gained. If he has to be given personnel powers in order to get him as a coach, no dice, Mr. Butterball.

You give me Mike Zimmer with Ken Zampese as his OC and I'm a happy camper. Hell, I could live with Mike Nolan (sorry, but the guy got a bit of a raw deal in San Fran in terms of his personnel support) and Zampese (or even Pat Hill - Mathews' college coach - who has the chops to be a quality OC).
  12. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings Received:
    +410 / 4 / -0
    We should hire a coach that knows how to close out a game.
    That way, we can keep Norv (because everyone secretly loves him) to
    coach the first half of the game. Then we get 2nd half coach to finish it
    out.
    HCBC (Head Coach By Committee)
    The NFL stands for "Not For Long" if you can't adjust to the New Order of things.

Oh, and for any Schotty fans out there, we can use him for the pregame and halftime speeches.
    GO BOLTS!
    :helm1:
  13. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    funny and sad but true! We are stuck with Norv!
  14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,578 / 29 / -1
    You can't compare every potential replacement to Norv, otherwise you'll find yourself thinking everybody would be good.
  15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,578 / 29 / -1
    I'm pretty sure this discussion is talking about next year....which could still be Norv, but that's also not as much as a certainty as it likely is for the rest of this season.
  16. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    I am not sold on the fact Norv will be here through the rest of the season. I can certainly see why you say that, but if the Spanos do not see the team rallying as they have in the past, they may just decide to give their assistant head coach a test run.

Either is a possibility. But if you want to splatter yourself with fesses... Please, don’t let me stop you, just let me step back and get my phone out to film this...
  17. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    I was gonna say Mike Nolan, cause he's done a heck of a job in Atlanta this year and even Miami a few years ago, believe he had top 10 defense in 2010-11..
  18. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Mike is a good DC, not sure he is a good HC. He didnt show too much promise in SF.
  19. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Just saying... people would have said the same thing about Belichick after his first stint in Cleveland. Sometimes there are circumstances under which an individual gets his first head coaching gig are far less than favorable in terms of who he has to work with (ownership, management, etc. not just personnel). The point remains that Nolan has done as much towards earning a second chance opportunity (assembling high-ranking defenses in short periods in Denver, Miami, and Atlanta) as a number of the up-and-comer and collegiate coach names getting dropped have done towards earning their first.

We both know Dean's not hiring anyone who doesn't have prior head coaching experience - he's far too conservative to not - so I'm attempting to look at, at least, the better options among the more realistic candidates.
  20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,578 / 29 / -1
    Why do we know Dean won't hire a first timer? Just because his last two hires had previous jobs?
  21. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    And the fact that he's been burned worse than by either Norv or Marty ever did by him, by both the last college (Riley) and hot-and-fresh coordinator (Gilbride) he hired. No one can know for certain, but the law of averages coupled with Dean's otherwise ultra-conservative behavior when it comes to personnel decisions gives us a pretty solid indicator.

In fact, just about every "sexy coordinator" hire that Dean/Alex have hired has resulted in some really rough Charger products (2 out of 3 of the worst win percentages for any Chargers HC for Gilbride and Henning). If Dean and Co. believe that someone like Chip Kelly, Brady Hoke, or Will Muschamp are the next "Bobby Ross" or "Don Coryell" history suggests we could see a college coach hired.

Gut instinct tells me that Dean reverts to looking for another "stabilizing" persona similar to what Marty was - i.e. a former pro HC whose reputation precedes him and who has a past track record of winning.
  22. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    My take on the HC issue is this. Rivers probably has ~7 years to play. As long as our GM doesn't trade away all of our draft picks for garbage, taking a risk on a HC can only be a positive. If he's bad, then we'll be rewarded in the form of reloading the team with quality picks. If the HC is amazing, then maybe we'll end up getting through the playoffs (assuming something is done during the 2012-13 offseason about the line/CBs) and have a shot at a ring. Either way, I think that the Rivers era isn't going to necessarily hang on the quality of our next coach.
  23. powayslugger

powayslugger Optimistic for 2013

Ratings Received:
    +135 / 3 / -0
    how about Norv Turner? I hear he'll be looking for work come February. I understand he's an offensive genius and a guru at developing young QBs. I know how Spanos likes continuity...:abq2: ...........Lol.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,578 / 29 / -1
    Meanwhile, he's been burned by retread coaches the last two times.

I'd like to think Spanos is mart enough to not assume that one person represents an entire group.

Of course, I also don't want to be the type to over-credit Deano, so whatever.
  25. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,754 / 47 / -26
    John Spanos....... the first Chargers HC/GM. ;)

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  26. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +261 / 4 / -2
    I think he's mart, but I'm not sure if he's mart enough.

Sorry... couldn't resist. :D
    • Funny Funny x 1
  27. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    I'm not going to lie. I was thinking, "Hey nicely tailored suit, kind of a strange pose but... WTF SOCKS???"
  28. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +264 / 4 / -0
    The socks make the suit
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    For focks sake. Please tell me that this is photoshop!
  30. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,754 / 47 / -26
    Sorry, it's a wedding photo.......... #nojoke