1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

These are your choices

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by MasterOfPuppets, Apr 12, 2013.

?

Which of these round 1 and 2 combos would you prefer?

1. Lane Johnson, Larry Warford

63.2%
  2. Chance Warmack, Terron Armstead

15.8%
  3. Chance Warmack, Menelik Watson

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Jonathan Cooper, Terron Armstead

5.3%
  5. Jonathan Cooper, Menelik Watson

5.3%
  6. Other

10.5%
  1. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings Received:
    +385 / 6 / -0
    Which of these round 1 and 2 combos would you prefer?
  2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +656 / 17 / -2
    I was going to put this on the Mock draft site but this one will also due.

Another guy I like in addition to Warford is VT Vinston Painter, not getting too much buzz but could be a very good OG/RT prospect

Obviously I voted Lane Johnson and Warford but can easily put Lane Johnson and Painter

Virginia Tech OL Vinston Painter has seven visits scheduled.
    The Tampa Bay Bucs, Detroit Lions, NY Giants, Denver Broncos, San Diego Chargers, Jacksonville Jaguars and Cincinnati Bengals are those teams. Prior to this report, we had not heard much from Painter or teammate Nick Becton during the pre-draft process, but obviously the collegiate tackle is drawing interest from NFL teams.
  3. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings Received:
    +220 / 1 / -1
    If it is true that we are talking to McKinnie and are able to get a reasonable deal done, then taking Warmack and Armstead would be cool.

Have McKinnie start for a season, then develop and bring in Armstead, while Chance is the starter from day 1 and by all means a pretty safe pick.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I voted on how the team stands today, without McKinnie, so I went with Johnson. But in all honesty, even if we did grab McKinnie, I think I would still grab Johnson, play him at RT year 1 and move him to LT next year
  5. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +393 / 0 / -0
    If we are going rounds 1& 2 id go Johnson and Pugh who will make a great OG and can play OT.
    Man i dont want McKinnie. Dunlap is as good as he is.
  6. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +656 / 17 / -2
    Just a quick note, watching some of the Senior Bowl again
    I watched Armstead and Pugh the closest.

Armstead vs. Datone Jones did a good job but was easily pushed backwards, but still did a good job staying in front

Pugh vs. Ansah, Had Ansah every time (was thinking hmmm Maybe? out of the first 2 of the series I liked Pugh better)

Armstead vs. Margus Hunt Armstead quickly changed my thought, as he kept making Hunt look like a dancing bear

Pugh vs. Cornellius Washington. Washington made Pugh look silly out there every time, even got the sack fumble on Nassib as Pugh was quick to recover the ball.

Pugh looked like a stud against Lavar Edwards

at the end of the day, I'm praying we get Lane Johnson.
  7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,011 / 33 / -20
    Lane Johnson / BPA (G, OLB, CB, S, ILB doesn't matter)
  8. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    Well if Lane Johnson is the only OT option in the first, that's where I am going. I am not as high on Warford as most, so I guess I'll settle.

I would prefer to get one of the top guards (Warmack, or Cooper) and get Saffold. Wishful thinking, but hey.....you never know. :)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +625 / 39 / -9
    If we take Johnson, I'd still love grabbing Armstead in the 2nd. Why not turn Tackle from a weakness into a huge strength for the team?

I don't know how the top 10 is going to play out, but if Johnson is on the board at 11 I expect him to be the pick. If he's not, I have no idea where we'll go or what would benefit us the most.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +656 / 17 / -2
    As I've said before different times in different posts

If Johnson is gone, we better go Cooper or Warmack (seems like the safest pick, which makes sense for a first time GM)

Mingo, Jones, Rhodes, Vacarro, look to be the next picks and all of them can be looked at as a positive or negative

Mingo is he strong enough, can he get bigger?

Jone is he healthy enough, is he going to produce at the next level

The only question you ever hear about Cooper of Warmack is which player is better?
  11. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +86 / 4 / -1
    So that means you forgot to watch Lane Johnson and watch Buchanon make work of him?
  12. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +656 / 17 / -2
    I saw the opposite, Johnson had Buchanon almost every play, driving him past the QB, I saw great foot work and nasty finishes. What game were you watching?
  13. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +656 / 17 / -2
    this is what I saw

14. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +656 / 17 / -2
    The St. Louis Post-Dispatch suspects the Rams could get no more than a third- or fourth-round pick for Rodger Saffold.
    Unhappy with both his contract situation and position in St. Louis, Saffold is a sleeper to be traded on draft day should the Rams select an offensive tackle with one of their first-rounders or even consider signing free agent Andre Smith. Saffold's durability is a concern, but he's only 24 years old with some solid left tackle tape. He'll man the right side if he stays in St. Louis.
  15. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +86 / 4 / -1
    Got beat off the snap plenty, more than a couple of plays he was saved by the RT getting beat quicker than he did, or the interior OL not budging from the line giving the QB a good 5 yards to step up. Against a player that has the flexibility to bend the edge, like he will with Hali and Von Miller, he will get eaten alive. The only time Buchanon tries to bull rush him which is Johnsons biggest weakness, he gets pushed back strait into the QB.

Other than that, technically, he is almost always over-extending himself with his first step, trying to match the speed of Buchanon off the edge, that kind of thing will make him look like a fool in pass pro. Looks like he had no idea how to help in pass pro (there was a play he tried to double the Penn St DT, he turns his shoulders and gives him a clear lane to the QB.

What tape are you watching with these nasty finishes? He didn't finish a block once in that entire game, other than pushing Buchanon into the other guy that got pushed past the pocket.

On top of that, He didn't get one inch of movement on run plays unless he was completely told to ignore his man and go to second level. He got stood up, or quickly disposed of in the run pretty easy, only time he did a great job of maintaining was when playing vs. the LB's. There was at least 1 or two plays where Hunt or Buchanon just tossed him when he was run blocking.

Again, his athleticism really shows up, but his awareness is real bad, and he's pretty weak. His initial step isn't up to par with his athleticism though, and he finds himself having to turn his shoulders whenever there's a guy with a quick getoff, and you see the problem with that, when he cut inside, and ends up inside the QB 4-5 yards behind the line of scrimage, while the announcer sees that as a good play, its really hard to complete any pass when your getting in the QB's space like that, doesn't give him the chance to step into his throw. I saw a couple times where he has real bad hand placement, but other times where its perfectly fine, so thats just a consistency issue, that comes with more playing time.

My biggest problem is that the hype he is getting, just really isn't worth the difference level between him and maybe Armstead, Watson (biggest difference in this area is age to me), and if it wasn't for the mental side of it, Xavier Nixon would be in that group as well, if not at the top of it. The talent level difference between Cooper/Warmack and Pugh/Warford, or IMO Mingo and 2nd round pass rushers like Collins, Montgomery, Okafor etc etc. And i swear if one more person says, NO Mingo is too much of a risk, but we HAVE to take Lane Johnson, who's just as big of a risk (see Jason Smith and be scared of how similar they are)

While i think OL is a top priority, as LBC has been saying
  16. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +481 / 13 / -3
    Again, Lane Johnson and Terron Armstead are almost identical. Both have the athleticism, but both have a problem anchoring.
  17. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,011 / 33 / -20
    Although Lane Johnson played at Oklahoma against D1 competition, and Armstead made his name against the best pass rushers Prarie View A&M and Mississippi Valley State have to offer.:roflmao:

If you're telling me Armstead had trouble against the bull rush at that level...then there is a serious problem.
  18. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +86 / 4 / -1
    No he's saying he did at the Senior Bowl, the same way Lane Johnson had trouble with the bull rush. He actually had less of a problem with it, and played against the more powerful rusher in Datone Jones
  19. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,011 / 33 / -20
    Doesn't matter anyway, Lane Johnson is not going to be a Charger.

So its time to pray that PVA&M has a pass rusher like Tamba Hali and Von Miller that gave Armstead a challenge.
  20. Boltjolt

Ratings Received:
    +393 / 0 / -0
    If your saying he isnt going to be there, id disagree. All the hype going on right now with the OT's is elevated if you ask me. I just dont think it is out of the question at all that he will be gone.
  21. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +86 / 4 / -1
    I'm hoping hes gone...lol
  22. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +656 / 17 / -2
    I'm torn, part of me really wants Johnson some people say he's Jason Smith, I disagree I believe at best he can be Trent Williams and at the lowest point Rodger Saffold type, It all just really depend on how well he's coached and how he develops, but the player I really want is Jonathan Cooper.

I think he and Warmack are the safest players in the draft and could provide the interior protection for Rivers allowing him to step up, Also provide help in the running game.
  23. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,011 / 33 / -20
    Guards are safer no matter where you take them, even the ones that start out like **** have a good shot at developing into capable starters under the right coaching. If we don't draft a guard until the 4th or 5th round nobody should be surprised.
  24. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    What it comes down to, is we BETTER take OL with 2 of the 1st 3 picks
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Boltjolt

Ratings Received:
    +393 / 0 / -0
    So your saying ALL OGs will make good players in the NFL?
    Dont agree at all if you are.

Sent from my GS3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,011 / 33 / -20
    No I'm saying OGs are easier to find than just about every other position based on the simple fact that it doesn't require much athleticism (or brains) to play the position. Just look at Chance Warmack, he's a slob, he runs a 40 like my grandma and he's got the agility of a cruise ship...yet he may end up being a top 10 pick because he's a dominant run blocker.

I'm of the school of thought that there are 4 corner stone positions...QB, LT, CBs, and pass rushers...these guys are not only hard to find but extremely valuable to changing the course of a game, and if your team has a need at any of these positions they should to do whatever they can (within reason) to fix the problem, and their best shot is in the 1st round before they are picked clean.

It just so happens that we need a left tackle and a pass rusher FOR SURE, and probably a corner to a lesser degree. So I am 100% against taking a guard at 11, the only value in Jonathan Cooper is that he can eventually start at C for us when Hardwick retires.
  27. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +625 / 39 / -9

this
  28. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +190 / 6 / -3
    Armstead went to an FCS school because he wanted to be a shot putter as well, NOT because he wasn't recruited & doesn't have FBS talent. He showed that pretty damn quickly in the week of Senior Bowl practices & the game. Doe she need work? Hell yeah - he hasn't yet had the benefit of an upper level coaching staff/trainers. Is the question about his competition level in college an issue? It certainly would be EXCEPT that he immediately showed strong potential against the top guys at the Senior Bowl & showed elite athleticism for a man of his size. He's going to need work, he's a project, but IMO he's not much more of a project than the latest greatest kool-aid flavor Lane Johnson. To simply laugh him off with a comment about his competition is .... laughable. And condescending.

As for saying Cooper/Warmack isn't a viable option at 11 - again, laughable.

Oh yeah - add RB's to that list of guys who don't need to be 1st rounders too, especially when you trade up to get a guy with durability issues dating back before college. :roflmao:
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  29. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +625 / 39 / -9
    Drafting RM was one of the poorest moves in this franchises history. Drafting Warmack/Cooper if a quality pass rusher or any of the top 3 LTs are still on the board would probably be equally as bad.
  30. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +481 / 13 / -3
    I still think, the strength of this team will be a long the defensive line. The way Corey Liuget played last year, and if Kendall Reyes can build on from last year, at 11, if the top-2 OT's (Luke Joeckel & Eric Fisher) are gone, no pass rusher or defensive back worth taking, and Jonathan Cooper off the board, I'd go DL. Star Lotulelei or whoever drops from the top-10.

There will be a top-10 player that drops out of the top-10 for sure. It would really suck if that player was Geno Smith for us.