1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Tis time to part!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Oct 28, 2012.

1. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +604 / 11 / -4
    Never said they were THE problem.
    Any more red herrings?

Pagano's D folded in the 2nd half against NO and Denver. Dispute that all you like, but they allowed a shitton of pts in those two games.

My main point here is that hiring a HC from within this org is :confused:. That's not how you change the culture.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,136 / 36 / -21
    As opposed to what? Bringing in a coach from the outside who has no rapport with the players, who will have 1 week to learn our offense/defense and playbooks. What hope is there to recover this season if we do that? Bisaccia has been here, he holds the assistant head coach title, if we fired Norv mid-season and passed on the guy who is the defacto #2 man that would be a huge insult. It would show a lack of good faith by the organization.

Hiring off the street for 8 or 9 games would be stupid, there is no other way to put it. You fire Norv now, and you give Bisaccia the 2nd half of the season to see if he can change the losing culture. If he can't thats when you enter the coaching carosel.
  3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Pagano's unit I don't think is THE problem, but I also don't think a guy who has been the DC for 7 games deserves to move into the HC role.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    That is why I don't think it is smart to make a move with Norv until week 14-15 at the earliest. I am not all that positive about promoting someone from within, and I just fear a Chiefs type situation where they moved Crennel to interim HC, the team won a couple games, and management was forced to give him the job even though he blows. I can't say that I know our current guys would blow, But I agree with others that we need a complete change in leadership and I wouldn't be against replacing our entire coaching staff in the offseason
  5. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings Received:
    +336 / 0 / -0
    I haven't looked but I think it's about 1,000,000 or so
  6. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings Received:
    +225 / 1 / -1
    I absolutely agree witth you on the point of hiring a HC from within the org. The only time I'd favor that is on an interim basis if the management feel Norv has to go right now.

However, I'll stick up for the D a bit because I don't believe it's as simple as "they folded" for the following reasons:
    1. They were playing against 2 of the best QBs, 2 fufure hall of famers, who when they have it going can put points on anyone.
    2. When the offense keeps turning the ball over, keeps putting our D back out on the field, you can't expect that they won't get worn down eventually. Poor offensive execution has had a huge impact on the last 2 games.

I'm not saying the D has been great during the mentioned stretches, but they aren't the biggest problem.
  7. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    I'm not saying Pagano SHOULD be the coach.. I'm just saying I think he could do a better job than Norv.

Pagano can't bench Jammer or Cason I feel because Norv has power over him. And really who else do we have? Wright is still not healthy.

And actually against the Broncos, they stripped sacked PR returned it for a TD. They also had a pick 6 AND PR threw another pick which lead to a TD.

So really Pagano's unit gave up 3 TD's, which would of still gave us the W..

And against New Orleans, Ingram's hit was the key turn around in the game. He doesn't get flagged and makes a proper hit we win that game. Then of course the worst officiated 2 minute drill I've ever seen and Gaither giving out on the last play.
  8. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +318 / 1 / -0

Most of the comments you see that are the "Bring in John Gruden, or Bill Cowher" stem from the same posters on this forum. You just see it a lot from the same people.

There are quite a few people on here who disagree that either of them should be looked at.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +604 / 11 / -4
    Undeniably the OL is the biggest problem. Just saying that the D weren't anything to brag about, even when they were relatively fresh in those halves. As far as HOF QBs, sure, but perhaps my expectations were too high for the Chargers D, because I expected them to be able to hold up 24-14 and 24-0 leads.
  10. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +604 / 11 / -4
    Agreed on our CBs. But I'm really not sure why the D played so poorly after Ingram's hit. They still had the Saints deep in their own end.
    Turnovers were a beeyatch for sure. But Manning racked up plenty of 1st downs on the Bolts D.
    They're having trouble getting off the field against quality offenses. Part of that responsibility has to fall on the DC.
    The HC bears responsibility too. I'm convinced that gameplanning puts the cuffs on our DCs.
  11. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Yeah but the offense got goose egged in the 2nd half. They did absolutely nothing for the defense and continued to put them on the field.

Corner and Offensive line play has haunted us the last 2 years.. and once we fix that something else will go wrong.

Rivers has been sacked already 19 times this year. He was sacked 30 times last year.
  12. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +604 / 11 / -4
    Like I said to Moses, OL is unquestionably the biggest problem on this team. If our OL was even average, we'd be 6-1.
    But D is another piece of the problem imo. Good thing about D is that with Butler, Reyes, Liuget, and Ingram, there is a decent future. Thomas looks like a good DE to me too, I've always liked him better there than NT.
    Our secondary obviously needs work. And our coaches need to unleash the front 7 more, imo.
  13. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings Received:
    +225 / 1 / -1
    No doubt, they were poor, but if you take the Denver game for example, the D put up a TD, while our offense conceded 2 TDs and 6 turnovers, against someone like Peyton Manning, 3 TDs in a half isn't a lot to ask him if he's playing a tired and worn down defense.

The D has to carry their part of the blame, but the offense is by far our biggest problem. The offense yesterday put up only 6 points against the Browns! Who can't put more than that on them? Fair play to the D in that game, held it to only 7 points, that's putting your offense in a prime position to win, and they couldn't take it, they had Meachem open and dropped the ball.

With respect to the other game against New Orleans, the Ingram penalty of course was a huge momentum changer, but I still think that was a contentious decision, as was the offensive PI call on Gates, but still no excuse, we should've won that game too.

A little bit of discipline, execution and a smarter game plan would have this team at 6-1 now, but yet look where we are....
  14. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings Received:
    +225 / 1 / -1
    The thing is, it almost doesn't matter if you like Cowher and Gruden or not, the bottom line is that if you compare either to Norv, they are both better coaches with the superbowl ring to prove it.

I honestly don't know if either one of them are the right solution for this team, but what we all know is that Norv is absolutely not that guy, and I guess those 2 are currently not coaching so they probably make for more interesting conversation points because they are technically "available".
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    I meant what has Bisaccia dont to earn it. I thought that would be clearn, perhaps not. It is an open honest question to those who are putting his name forward. What has he done to give them faith he is the answer?

I dont think anyone just deserves a shot. I dont think everyone makes a good HC.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    At this point, you have to wonder if the entire coaching staff has been tainted by the Norv.
  17. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    We have good pieces with Reyes, Thomas, Martin, Butler, Mouton, Ingram, Weddle and Taylor. Don't forget about Wright, who I think can be a solid right corner and Gilchrist can be a decent nickel/free-safety back up.
  18. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +604 / 11 / -4
    Maybe but we haven't seen Wright tested yet. Same with Taylor. And Mouton. Not sure Gilchrist has what it takes.
    AJ, or whoever he's been relying on, has done a very poor job at drafting secondary (Weddle aside).
  19. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    Spanos is to cheap to fire anyone. So we have Norv until the season is over. And giving the job to a special teams coach "JUST BECAUSE HE DESERVES IT" is a great business practice.
  20. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    He did bring them in.
  21. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,136 / 36 / -21
    Yeah sure, because the "everyone is guilty by association" strategy has never failed either. :tup:

The mentality that we need to fire everyone and blow the ship up is for the irrational and overemotional fans, lets have a little more self control than that. Bisaccia could be the next John Harbaugh for all we know, or he whimpers out with a puff of smoke and we go after a big fish in the offseason and nothing lost, nothing gained.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Scott Kirby

Scott Kirby BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Fire them both. Agreed. The Only SICK thing is WE ( at least we could have tried) could have gotten Jim Harbaugh when he was still at Stanford. IS THERE ANYWAY WE CAN BOY COTT THE TEAM SO THAT THE SPANOS FAMILY WILL BE FORCED TO SELL? Dean Spanos is as much if not MORE to blame than anyone! AJ, NORV THE SPANOS FAMILY THEY ALL SUCK
  23. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    well then by all matters we will give 4 games to the water boy, than 4 games to the strength coach, then 4 games to the equipment manager, than 4 games to the secretary, than 4 games to the Video guy, then 4 games to the press secretary, than 4 games to the head of security, than 4 games to he Public relations guy, than 4 games to the Travel guy. We will find us a head coach by hook or crook. Because they all deserve a shot also.
  24. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    Can I have 4 games? That's 1.25 million dollars if you pay me like the Norv...
  25. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    which four games IN A ROW would you like, you deserve it, anyone else want 4 games?
  26. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +604 / 11 / -4
    Why does it have to be 4 in a row. Let's just draw straws every week. This coaching **** is easy.
  27. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,136 / 36 / -21
    Well now you're exaggerating to a point where people start to tune you out. But I guess it is election season.
  28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    It isn't going to cost him a penny more to fire him now or fire him at the end of the season. The reason they aren't going to fire him until after the season is because he is the OC also and no one else has a clue about calling an offense (Not sure Norv does anymore either)
    • Like Like x 1
  29. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    They won't be forced to sell anything more than a minority share to AEG as part of a move to LA. A fan boycott does nothing but speed up the decision process on whether to stay in SD or move to LA
  30. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    He could also just be a Romeno Carnell, win a couple games as the interim coach, then totally fail once the job is his. I am not a fan of the interim HC idea