1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Tolbert / AJ

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Heir Coryell, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Heir Coryell

Heir Coryell BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    This from Acee's article this morning re:Tolbert re-signing;

'But he said Sunday his desire to stay in San Diego was thwarted when his agent called to accept the Chargers’ offer, only to be told it had been pulled. The Chargers’ contention has always been the deal was not accepted within the time frame they had established.'

WTF? Who operates this way? AJ seems way too intolerant and wanting to prove what a hard -*** he is. I wonder how he felt yesterday as Tolbert shoved it up his @$$ and he's out of a job at season's end? ...not to mention his number one draft picks on display yesterday in Mathews and English. For whatever good AJ has done in the past, he's earned this firing in the recent past
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
    This is completely different from what I had heard during the off-season which said that Tolbert wanted to play at home and took less money to do such. Acee reported THAT months ago. So which is it?
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +405 / 7 / -1
    Yeah... yesterday/last nite was the first report of AJ withdrawing the offer as Yogi was about to take it. U have to wonder why it is only coming out now. It was odd that Yogi was ok with going to Carolina with the Charger fans left with the impression he wanted to go there to be near his family for less than SD's offering.
  4. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    Maybe he was just taking the high road on the issue and didn't want to come off to his new team as a malcontent.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    ^^^^
    This.

Given past history of Chargers GM and FO, does anyone doubt they pulled that offer?
  6. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +428 / 2 / -1
    What you don't think A.J. is just a misunderstood soul and really worked hard to keep Tolbert here??? Yah me neither.
  7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,548 / 44 / -6
    It's all water under the bridge boys and girls and it ain't coming back.
  8. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    If AJ gets fired, then it's water under the bridge.
    Otherwise it's recycled sewage.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,548 / 44 / -6
    No matter what happen with AJ at the end of this season it's not going to change anything that's already happened.
  10. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    Right but we can expect more of the same.
  11. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,548 / 44 / -6
    Can an old dog learn new tricks or should he just be sent to the pound??? I believe AJ has rightfully earned his dismissal. Then again, I was never in the AJ is Gawd group I'm just sorry the team never took up his hard *** facade.
  12. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,680 / 44 / -26
    Facade is exactly what it is..... an old football exe who fancies himself as John Wayne. :rolleyes:
  13. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Anyone who does business and sets parameters for a deal?
  14. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings Received:
    +325 / 11 / -6
    and if do business like AJ there is NO DEAL!

AJ's way of "My way or the highway" is old news.... Time to move on if Dean has any balls!
  15. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings Received:
    +826 / 22 / -1
    How come A.J. is the a*shole in this scenario? If he told Tolbert and his agent "this is when the deal expires, we'll have to move on if we haven't heard from you" and the agent, knowing how A.J. does business, drags his a*s and gets in late, why isn't it Tolbert/agent's fault?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Savage Lizard

Ratings Received:
    +826 / 22 / -1
    Tolbert is still on a team not going to the playoffs, and he made less coin. So I'm not sure how his two TDs in a meaningless game meant anything other than "I/my agent f*cked up by being too stupid to give an answer by the time we were given." "We did this knowing full well that if A.J. Smith sets a deadline, he probably means it."

In the world of the A.J. haters, he's supposed to just put an offer out there and sit around on his hands while he waits some indefinite amount of time for an answer.
  17. Heir Coryell

Heir Coryell BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I get your point about negotiating. I used to think AJ's stance of not budging was a good one, but if you look back at the negotiating AJ has done it's pretty bad and hasn't gotten him squat when dealing with agents except a reputation as a @$$. Isn't it part of the job to do what's best for the team? Tolbert is far more valuable here than he was to most teams - and he wanted to accept your offer - why not bend? Granted, we don't know how late Tolbert was in accepting, but AJ's negotiating track record is horrid ...debacles with Jackson, Gates, LT, etc.... it weighs into my thoughts when viewing Tolbert's comments. I guess I'm just tired of the attitude for no reason and that helps nobody .....just make my team better and quit alienating players and agents.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings Received:
    +325 / 11 / -6
    Key word is "if" if AJ gave a dead line?
    I would think Tolbert would have a new agent if his agent was late! AJ still needs to do what's best for the team not what's best for his ego.

Sent from my Mobile Zin finder!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Savage Lizard

Ratings Received:
    +826 / 22 / -1
    But we don't know if that is the case. Perhaps having a consistent way of dealing with people has helped other things get done quicker and easier. All we hear about is the butthurt players whose agents ALL know that's how things work with the Chargers.
  20. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    Are we seriously bitching about losing somebody who has 130 yards rushing and 246 yards receiving on the season? Somebody whose 2 TDs last Sunday literally doubled his total on the year? Somebody whose career numbers over 5 seasons have been surpassed in one season by multiple backs?

I jumped off the AJ bandwagon a couple years ago, but let's be a little more real here.
  21. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    As the 3rd option on a team with 2 great RBs, he's put up those numbers. Meanwhile, Ryan Mathews, starting on a team with no RB talent, has 707 yds rushing, 252 receiving, and 1 TD. We miss Tolbert, badly, because when he was here he was good for 1000 yds combined rushing and receiving and 10 TDs a year.
  22. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    He was good for 1000 yards combined when he was here? That would explain why he never achieved that mark.