1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Trevor Coughman....Yer done!

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by tboltzcali, Jun 1, 2008.

1. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Another blown save. Why dont they get it? he is no more than a set up guy nowadayz. I guess it would be like benching tony gwynn his last year. Hes just hurtin the team. 3 runs in the bottom of the tenth to the lowly GIANTS. Good gawd.

2. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820 / 0 / -0
    Classy thread about an all-time San Diego great. :tdown:

Whether he is done or not, it's not his choice to go out there when they call his number and I'm quite certain that he is still trying his hardest. Why **** on him?

3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings:
    +1,590 / 29 / -1
    You know, it is possible to state that Trevor is done without using blatant disrespect for the 2nd biggest icon in Padres history.

Take a lesson from this guy at another forum.

See, it's as simple as that.

I agree, he is done and I kinda wish he'd retire, but there's no need to be disrespectful about it.

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,474 / 19 / -4
    giants did something unique - they saw that hoffman liked to throw first pitch fastballs and the first two hitters jumped on them by playing pepper. Means Hoffy has to make some adjustments not to use the fastball too often to start

5. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    FU Bud Selig :yes:

6. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    Are these guys brothers?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,590 / 29 / -1
    What does this thread have to do with Bud Selig?

8. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    ya, how da heck did bud get into this thread? anyways, i respect da man for what he has done for da pads. no doubt. but he aint what he was and some people just dont see it that way. they are trying to let his past numbers speak. he's fastball isnt what it used to be, his change will not factor as much when its only 5mph slower than his fastball. i give this man mucho respecto....but im just tryin to be real while i wish some would sometime soon realize the same.

9. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    no disrespectin the man, just wonderin when the one man that should understand doesnt.

10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,590 / 29 / -1
    I don't think I've seen anyone on any Padres forum I post at defend Trevor's performance this year.

Hell, even I'm saying he's done, and that says something.

The only defense I've given on Trevor's behalf this year is calling out those who want to call him an *******, a dick, and other things of the like just because he's finally starting to show his age.

Everyone's starting to agree that he's done because....well, it's actually seeming to be true now. (as opposed to the past 4 seasons when people were saying the same thing while he continued to be effective.)

11. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    I thought he was done last year...especially when he blew the last two save chances against the brewers and the rocks. But this year he definitely is giving the fans no hope.

12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,590 / 29 / -1
    There was no telling at the time whether that was just two bad games with horrible timing or an indication of things to come.

Now that I have my 20/20 hindsight goggles on I can see you were right, but there's no way you can jump to that conclusion after two games...even with how important the games were.

13. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    You could conclude because if he wasnt done, he usually closes the games. coughin up one, ok...but two when the title is on the line??? Unheard of. Anyways back to reality, looks like the ship is going to sink to the bottom by this weekend.

14. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    HO HUM, another loss

http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20080624&content_id=2995962&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=sd

Late homers doom Padres vs. Twins

Hoffman surrenders pair; Peavy goes six strong frames

SAN DIEGO -- It was more than just a smattering of boos that Trevor Hoffman walked off the field to Tuesday at PETCO Park, though the displeasure voiced by what was left of a crowd of 36,948 might not have all been directed toward him.

Hoffman, who has more saves than anyone else in Major League history, allowed home runs to Brendan Harris and Brian Buscher in the ninth inning as the Twins pulled away for a 3-1 victory over the Padres in the opening game of this Interleague series.

After the game, Padres manager Bud Black was asked his thoughts about the jeers from the crowd after Hoffman walked off the field after getting the last out of the ninth inning.

"I don't like it," Black said.

Black could well have been talking about the Padres' inability to score more than one run against Twins starter Kevin Slowey and four relievers, who limited San Diego (32-46) to seven hits or even its inability to get a bunt down after the first two batters reached base to start the eighth inning.

"We play a lot of close games," Black said of the Padres, who are now 6-25 when scoring three or fewer runs. "We had a couple of opportunities, but couldn't get it done."

In that eighth inning, Michael Barrett walked and moved to second base after a single by pinch-hitter Craig Stansberry, who was unable to get down a bunt earlier in the at-bat. Leadoff hitter Jody Gerut also could not get down a bunt as he eventually struck out.

The next two hitters, Edgar Gonzalez and Brian Giles, then made successive outs to end an inning that had started so promisingly.

"Not getting them over to third was costly," Black said.

One inning later, the game was over after Hoffman (1-5) left first-pitch fastballs to both Harris (his third home run of the season) and Buscher (his first of the season) that ended up over the left- and right-field walls, respectively.

"I was just looking for a fastball. I saw he got ahead of the first two guys with fastballs and just went right into the changeup," Harris said. "I was just hoping I would get [a fastball] and put it into play and not have to hit the changeup."

Hoffman, who is always present in front of his locker following a blown save, was asked if he heard boos from the fans following the ninth inning as he made his way back to the Padres' dugout.

"Nope," said Hoffman, who allowed two home runs in the same inning for the eighth time in his career. "I'm not worried about that right now."

The Padres, who have lost eight of their last 10 games, are now 3-10 in Interleague Play with two more games against the Twins (41-36) and three more against the Mariners this weekend before climbing back into the National League West Division.

"We can't afford to not play good, solid baseball," San Diego pitcher Jake Peavy said.

In his third start since returning from an right elbow strain that cost him nearly a month, Peavy threw his most pitches (106) since May 9 and appeared sharp in his six innings, allowed one earned run on five hits.

Peavy, who received a no-decision, struck out six and had one walk, recovered well from a 30-pitch first inning in which the Twins scored a run on a walk and two hits, the latter an RBI single by Michael Cuddyer with two outs.

"It is starting to come together. I'm getting close to where I was before I got hurt," Peavy said. "I threw a lot of pitches in those first two innings that limited me to six innings."

Peavy, who retired 10 of 11 hitters starting with the final out of the first inning, got into a bit of trouble in the sixth inning when Joe Mauer and Justin Morneau reached base on an error and a hit, respectively, before Cuddyer made the first out with a grounder that third baseman Kevin Kouzmanoff took to the bag himself.

Peavy then got Jason Kubel on a fly ball to center field for the second out before striking out Harris with an 81-mph slider, a ball that had a lot of late life to it and was reminiscent of the nasty sliders that Peavy relied on during his Cy Young march a year ago.

"He feels as though it's coming around to where he's stringing pitches together to hitters. Now he's executing pitches where he wants them. That's a good sign. The confidence is back," Black said.

Slowey, who entered the game with a 4.37 ERA, allowed two hits in the first inning and then retired the next 14 batters that he faced before allowing a one-out single to Gerut in the sixth inning.

"He's in the strike zone," said Padres left fielder Chase Headley, who drove in the only San Diego run in the seventh inning with a ground ball. "He throws three or four pitches for strikes. He was throwing slow stuff early on and then to fast stuff late."

Three of the Padres' seven hits never left the infield.

:tdown::tdown::tdown:

15. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    so glad football is starting up soon.