1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Turner: Bolts not as good as outsiders think

Discussion in 'Smack Talk' started by ChargerJeff, Sep 21, 2009.

1. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings Received:
    +334 / 0 / -0
    SAN DIEGO (AP)—Whether he’s trying to deflect criticism of his play-calling or delivering some kind of pre-emptive strike, coach Norv Turner has a message for fans—the San Diego Chargers aren’t as good as outsiders think they are.

But he said Monday at the start of his weekly news conference that he believes the team can get there.

The Chargers (1-1) lost their home opener on Sunday to the Baltimore Ravens, 31-26.

Although Philip Rivers(notes) threw for a career-high 436 yards, fans booed when Turner called for a field goal on third-and-goal on the Baltimore 5 with 10 seconds to go before halftime.

San Diego’s final drive ended when Ray Lewis(notes) stuffed Darren Sproles(notes) on fourth-and-2 from the Baltimore 15 in the closing seconds.

link
  2. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +542 / 0 / -0
    Evidence that he is not a real coach!!! A real coach would take his criticism and admit that he lost yesterday's game!!!

If you aren't furious at this point, then you're not a Chargers fan!!!
  3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
    Is that really the message you wanna send? Seriously?
  4. gobolts2008

gobolts2008 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    He just stated the obvious. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that two weeks in were clearly not the team a lot of people thought we were. Anyone who has seen the raiders and Ravens run the ball at will can tell you that.

That doesn't mean we cant or wont be that team come December or January. We're only two games in guys plenty of ball left to be played. Don't forget he also opened that statement by saying we CAN get there. I mean seriously you guys dont agree that right now were not as good as we thought but we can get there.
  5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +542 / 0 / -0
    Norv... instead of throwing our players under a bus, just admit you suck!!!
    You can't hide that fact!!!

Norvys... how much more evidence do you need?
  6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    did norv draft these guys?
  7. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,170 / 0 / -0
    Norv Turner is going to take us to the Super Bowl. :yes:
    • Like Like x 1
  8. wrbanwal

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    now you know better,

When I get frustrated with this team I blame everyone!!

Especially YOU!!!

:flag:
  9. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +542 / 0 / -0

So you're throwing the players under the bus too?
  10. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings Received:
    +1,009 / 1 / -0
    Yeah, how about we get at least a quote or a sound byte before we start jumping off cliffs? M'kay? Sound good? Greeeeeat.

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  11. ChargerBigNick

ChargerBigNick BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    We were who we thought we were and we let ourselves off the hook
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings Received:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    He's right. The talent level on this team is very average. We have great players at quite a few skill positions, but we're mediocre on both lines. That makes for a team is pretty damn average at this point. But, there is still a lot of time to improve, and that is what Norv's teams have done the last two years. You don't win Superbowls in week 2 of the regular season, but you do win popularity contests. I'd rather lose out on those early season contests and focus on winning those matches late in the season.
  13. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Really?

Real Charger Fan huh?... My checking account deposits each and every year are a fair measure of my allegiance to this team...

42 Years Strong amigo... And, I have been much more furious with the Chargers, thier coaches and players... Why get pissed at a week two loss to a good team? Has the Super Bowl ever been won or lost during week 2? Lets remember back to the 2007 season... The pats won in week 2, hell they won in week one and every other week... Except for the Super Bowl amigo... There is but one end goal in the NFL, SB Champ, anything less is a failure of a season.

Let’s get to the playoffs... If we don't make the playoffs than we can look back at the entire season’s body of work and critique it then...

Our schemes, coaching and "small" **** will get better as the season grows...
    • Like Like x 2
  14. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +709 / 2 / -0
    Yeah what he said.
  15. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 0 / -0
    Can you guys quit quoting Bolts4Now? You are ruining the ignore feature...
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,531 / 7 / -2
    I guess I'm not a Chargers fan then.
  17. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +542 / 0 / -0
    Add that to barely escaping a loss to a horrible team last week and seeing obvious regression.
    A better coach would have won the game yesterday and there is no denying that!
  18. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Norv is right! Who in the hell put this 8-8 team on a pedestal this off season? We were 8-8 last year and should not have made the playoffs. What did we do this off season to get better? Why has everyone made us out to be the AFC champs? Because Merriman is back?
    [​IMG]
  19. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    A loss is ALWAYS on the coach, and a win is ALWAYS on the players if you're a coach.

(but the sky aint falling. it's early, friends. be glad it's week 2, not week 14.)
  20. wrbanwal

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0

ouch
  21. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +288 / 1 / -0
    Right on the money with this post...the truth hurts! I still want to believe the hype...but my rose color classes are failing me.
  22. SDKCFAN

SDKCFAN BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    We already know that Norv doesn't trust his offense because of the 3rd down/field goal but now to come out and say this! What an idiot and way to throw the whole team under the bus, Norv.
  23. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    he has had 3 years to take this team to the next level how many more years does he want?????????:censored::censored::cussing: :cussing:
  24. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +542 / 0 / -0

It's good to see that some people in here actually understand the problem with Norv!!!
  25. bigmike.x.09

Ratings Received:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    I don't have a problem with Norv, I like winning in January better than winning in September.
  26. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +542 / 0 / -0
    But you have to make it to the playoffs before yo think about winning them. Don't rely on a gift from a division rival this season or hope that 8-8 will cut it.
  27. bigmike.x.09

Ratings Received:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    I told you guys last week, I don't give a **** if it's pretty or not, just get to the goddamn playoffs. Nobody in our division can keep up and they have just as tough of a schedule as we do in relative terms.
  28. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings Received:
    +219 / 1 / -0
    Frankly, it sounds like a reality check from the coach...not an under the bus toss. For us fans, it should be a heads up about unrealistic expectations and then freaking out when the other teams don't just roll over when we take the field.

More importantly, to the players it says: You haven't done anything yet and you have to earn everything you get and you are not anywhere near where you need to be for the post season...but you can get there if you focus and play your a$$ off! I hope the players take it as a challenge to their manhood and start fixing the mental errors and giving the extra effort that separates the contenders from the pretenders. We have 14 more games to go and I expect this team to get progressively better...will it be enough? I sure hope so!
    • Like Like x 3
  29. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    :deadhorse2:
  30. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings Received:
    +1,558 / 11 / -0
    Word.

I want these players to step up and do their damn jobs. (No I don't mean PR, Sproles, Coop...) They get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars (some Millions) to do one thing, play football. Yes, I put some blame on the coaching staff but this is a team game and what I'm seeing out there are players failing to execute. Missing tackles, Stupid penalties, Lack of confidence in teammates... it's crap that needs to end.

I have faith in this team and it's staff - I'm frustrated and disappointed but this season is FAR from over, we're still in the 1st quarter and the game is tied - I'd rather have them stumble now in week two when they have time to learn from their mistakes rather than in week 15 or the play-offs when it ends our season.