1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Turner: Chargers will scale back offense

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Oct 16, 2012.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Norv Turner said he needs “to do a better job” if the Chargers are to reduce the turnovers that ruined the 2011 season and are threatening to wreck this season and cost Turner his job.
    It’s quite rare for Turner to say his own performance was lacking, but he’s made a habit of it since Philip Rivers’ turnover-laden outing Monday night fueled an historic second-half collapse, culminating in the 35-24 loss to the Broncos.

“It starts with the coaching,” Turner said after breaking down the film.
    He’d sounded the same theme in his postgame remarks.

Several times on Tuesday, Turner said the Chargers will “eliminate” the turnover problem, even it takes reigning in the offense

“Yes, we are going to limit some things we’re doing, and I’ve got to do a better job and make sure we put things in there, and then we’re calling things that have less risk,” said Turner, who calls the plays in games and works with the offense in practice. “They may not have as big of a reward. We may not be quite the same big-play team, but we’re not going to turn the ball over.”
    The Chargers led 24-0 at halftime.

In the second half, Rivers threw three interceptions and lost two fumbles. The Broncos returned two of the quarterback’s turnovers for touchdowns.

The Broncos won the fourth quarter, 21-0, with help from four of the takeaways.
    “If you’re turning the ball over four times, you’re not going to win the game,” Turner said. “And that’s the problem we have to fix.”

The Chargers are 0-3 when they lose the turnover game.

Last year, Rivers had a career-high 20 interceptions. With nine in six games, he's currently on pace for 24. He's also had costly fumbles the last two years.

Tuner hinted at how he and his coaches intend to fix the stubborn problem.

“If we break it down,” he said, “there’s some things in terms of play selection as a staff, there’s some things with Philip in his technique and get him back up in the pocket – and then, we need to continue to get better in the offensive line with our protection.”

Tied with Denver atop the AFC West, the Chargers (3-3) won’t play again until Oct. 28 at Cleveland. They’ll practice once this week – Wednesday – before working out Monday.

Turner talked about turnovers like a bug exterminator talks about cockroaches.
    “We’re going to eliminate them,” he said. “We can eliminate them. That will be our complete focus as we go through this bye.”

He added: “What I’ve got to do, and then what we’ve got to do collectively is look hard at the plays that we’re having a tough time with it, and then manage it.”
    Turner said the defense needs to improve by playing a "complete game."

NOTES
    Turner said wide receiver Vincent Brown, who sustained a broken ankle in the second preseason game, “is in the middle of his rehab” and hasn’t worked out on a field. “It’ll be awhile before we give you specific timing in terms of when he’d be able to play,” he said.

Turner disagreed with the two false-start calls against Rivers. Watching the coaches’ film, “I don’t see Philip move a bit,” he said, “and I know that was a point of emphasis. Just because they jump offside, it doesn’t mean Philip moved.”

Turner said a Broncos defender should’ve been flagged for lining up in the neutral zone. On the same play, Rivers was sacked, resulting in a 65-yard return for a Broncos touchdown that cut the lead to 24-14. Turner said the defender wasn’t end Elvis Dumervil, who got past tackle Jeromey Clary and caused the fumble.

Turner said the team’s injuries were minor, and that left tackle Jared Gaither (groin) should be at practice next week.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/oct/16/turner-chargers-will-scale-back-offense/?page=2#article
  2. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    So we are back to running up the middle and trying to win by FG's..... Pure genius Norv!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    I thought it was cute when he said he was going to "get Philip back in the pocket".

Which pocket is this?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,688 / 44 / -26
    The irony is that the Chargers already lead the league in passes to the RBs. We haven't been a traditional Norv Turner deep ball offense this year. Now, to fix Rivers' panic throws, we're going to double down on small ball?..... ******* great. :rolleyes:
  5. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings Received:
    +110 / 4 / -0
    Too bad they didn't fix the O-line in the off season, that would have done a lot more than going to Marty ball.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    Sounds like it's damned if you do damned if you don't for Turner with this fan base. After the game on Monday, it was all 'he should have gone to Martyball.' Now the same people are saying he should keep going long :confused:
  7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,686 / 39 / -8
    Even when they win some wont be happy with Norv as the HC. I think in all honesty, they wouldnt be happy with any HC.

I know I am tired of these Chargers not having a drive or finishing instinct...
  8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,551 / 44 / -6
    Meachem, Royal and Rosario don't know what to do out there and it's clear as day. Yes they know how to play football, but came from chuck and duck style, draw it up in the dirt type O's. I believe they're just lost in the San Diego Offense playing live in their first year. It took Jackoffson and M-80 a couple years to get great results with it.

Neither Meachem or Royal look fast on the field which is a good sign of them having to think stride for stride what they're supposed to be doing. It also looked like Rygina was being hit in the O backfield early and often from the poor blocking up front. Fix the line and give Meach and Royal time to fully understand the O and things will be 180 degrees different.
  9. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,688 / 44 / -26
    You go "Martyball" based on the game situation...... no one was suggesting we employ that style full time. If you read that into my comments, then you were mistaken.

Meachem was supposed to replace Jackson's speed, if not his size. Sadly, he's rarely shown the ability to get real separation downfield. Hell, Goodman showed more ability to get open at the end of the last game..... he just doesn't have the hands required to be a replacement.
  10. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    I found one of his plays, dont tell anyone

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  11. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    Agree about Meacham, but the apathy Royal & Meacham show towards interceptions is all the more reason to dial it back on offense. Brown can't get back soon enough.
  12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,551 / 44 / -6
    Dante can be grouped with Royal and Meach. I'm not saying these guys can't grasp the offense but it sure appears to be way more than they can handle on the fly. River's doesn't have 5-8 seconds to wait for them to clear out, hell, he's lucky to get a clean 3 and that's not good for an immobile QB. Think Dan Fouts and you'll know what I mean but Dan did have a great O-line for a good part of his career and his numbers prove it. River's isn't harmless and definitely has contributed his share of bonehead plays in this mess and it can't continue.
  13. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,688 / 44 / -26
    Brown isn't ready yet, but we should be able to beat the Browns and Chiefs without him. I'd even be willing to give Goodman a few more chances on offense..... at least he's fast enough to get open.
  14. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings Received:
    +395 / 4 / -0
    11th All-Time with 106 fumbles: Dan Fouts
    24th All-Time with 85 fumbles: Michael Vick (the dude did a little time too)
    52nd All-Time with 70 fumbles: Sheli Manning
    54th All-Time with 69 fumbles: Drew Brees
    90th All-Time with 58 fumbles: P.Manning and Philip Rivers

Fumbling problem for Rivers? (Not really)
  15. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    In fairness, all of those guys have played a lot more games than Rivers. I think the ratio on P Manning to P Riv is probably 2:1 in games played. That said, Rivers doesn't have a fumbling problem. He has a bad o-line problem.
    • Agree Agree x 1