1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Two NFL teams will move to Los Angeles in 2010

Discussion in 'Smack Talk' started by Workplay, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,297 / 12 / -5
    You are aware the Giants/Jets have a brand new stadium already built next to their old one, right? Both teams will be playing there next season.
  2. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings Received:
    +66 / 2 / -0
    This.

and this:
  3. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings Received:
    +194 / 0 / -0
    You do realize that the Los Angeles market, the second largest in the nation I believe, is the the Chargers' secondary market and another AFC team would claim all games if the Chargers were slotted at the same time, which would be very often, shrinking the amount of publicity for the San Diego Chargers and therefore revenue to maintain their own stadium, publicity campaigns, even sign players.

So go ahead and say you want them to move to LA as I for one think that for these reasons alone the franchise must consider it seriously like right now but please get off the "any LA team" bandwagon because that's no good for the Bolts.
  4. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings Received:
    +66 / 2 / -0
    I noted this before, just not in this thread. When two teams move to L.A. the Chargers are going to lose half their fanbase if they're not one of them. They say that they will stay in San Diego, but does San Diego want the Chargers? It's time to prove it and approve a new stadium down there. I know everyone hates me for saying this, but fiscally speaking, the Chargers need to move to Los Angeles.

Just so I don't get my head knocked off, this will be my last post regarding the Chargers moving to Los Angeles. We will find out who's coming to LA soon enough.
  5. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings Received:
    +194 / 0 / -0
    Not everyone. As I noted, The Chargers will lose out big time - no new stadium, loss of revenue and exposure, and even a loss of fan base possibly. In all honesty, we're not as "bandwagon" as we think. People from other cities and states in particular usually don't jump on when the team does well but locally speaking, bandwaggoning is common. IMO, that's not enough to be considered a bandwagon team so a new squad in the area wouldn't significantly reduce the numbers because, well people aren't that fickle out here.

If the Chargers aren't seriously considering the consequences because of ownership issues, it may wind up screwing the entire team. I'm not sure Spanos family has really looked into the economics in play here, but LA IS a Charger fan base and an AFC team MIGHT be moving in to take over TV coverage and publicity area.

I know that it's a contentious issue and people have very strong opinions but city/fan loyalty doesn't mean much when real $$$ could be slipping away. Frankly, the franchise needs to understand that the only way of keeping their hold and possibly expanding it is to not let an AFC team move in and instead take the spot themselves. It makes much more sense for The Chargers to simply move north to protect their stake.

If LA could only pull of a deal with one NFC team, say the Vikings or Rams, then we'd be fine. But I will say this - we're working on the margin because the franchise, the front office personnel and other executives is built very well and even if we're in a Jacksonville-size area, we'll still be a force to be reckoned with the NFL. We would be the same force, with more money and exposure (and therefore more of a force in theory) as the LA Chargers though.
  6. CraziFuzzy

CraziFuzzy BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    This is what I've been saying as well. LA is primed very well for Chargers team. however, if we lost the television coverage, that support would slip quickly. I'd gladly share the stadium with ANY NFC Team, if it meant still having local Chargers coverage, plus the shorter trip to the games.
  7. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings Received:
    +942 / 0 / -0
    One major problem is that both teams that are reportedly being targeted are AFC squads.
  8. CraziFuzzy

CraziFuzzy BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    well, if you are meaning Jax and SD, true... but there are 7 or 8 teams that are actually in consideration.

There's also not much stopping the jags from being switched conferences... They aren't an 'original AFL team', so that argument goes away. The only question would be what NFC team would get the swap? It'd also have to be an expansion team, most likely... Carolina would make sense historically.. but who knows.. the comissioner is so gung-ho about getting a team or two in LA, I don't think any potential realignment is out of question.
  9. jamesy

jamesy BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    True true! The Rams have lacked nuts for awhile now... AND 'walnuts' is a great old goomba euphemism, made more apt by Nick Frontiere, Georgia's goomba husband.
  10. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings Received:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    It's already 2010. There is no way 2 teams will relocate to L.A. in 2010 before the season starts. Not enough time to change everything IMO.

I don't want any other team in L.A. :no:

L.A. has had 3 Pro football teams, and couldn't keep any of them.

4th time a charm??? I don't think so.