1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

U-T: 3-4 Defense needs a top NT to win a Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, May 1, 2014.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,771 / 47 / -26
    Nose tackle is big piece of Super Bowl puzzle
    By Tom Krasovic
    MAY 1, 2014

Louis Nix III plans to make his living as a nose tackle in the NFL.

Wish him luck.

A nose tackle occupies the center of a defensive line. Sacrificing for the greater good, he bears the brunt of the offense's foremost battering rams.

It's not rare for him to joust with two blockers who together weigh 600 pounds or more.

The Chargers seemingly could use another nose tackle to assist the two on their roster, and most NFL draft analysts say Nix, who manned the job for 34 games at Notre Dame, is the best one in his draft class and a potential first-round selection.

It's easy to see why. He is 6-foot-2, 331 pounds and broad of frame, and when he was in peak form two years ago, he outmaneuvered several blockers. Even against mighty Alabama, which smashed Notre Dame in the 2012 national title game, Nix held his own.

Defensive players are fond of a stout nose tackle, because he frees them up to chase running backs.

On pass plays, if a nose tackle can disrupt the quarterback, that’s a fat cherry on top of the sundae.

Someone so large seldom can move so fast and far. Get a special nose tackle for your "3-4" defense, and you'll go to the Super Bowl. That's the recent history.

Where do NFL teams find them?

If they find one at all – and many clubs either have to spackle the position or scheme up other options -- the first round of the draft seems the best place.

The last three Super Bowl winners that ran a 3-4 defense, which is the Chargers' main design, drafted a difference-making nose tackle in the first round.

The Packers’ Super Bowl season of 2010 coincided with the lone standout year to date from B.J. Raji, a nimble 6-2, 332-pounder from Boston College taken ninth in 2009. One of several fine seasons from Oregon alumnus Haloti Ngata, who is 6-4, 338 and brute-strong, assisted the ’12 Ravens. For the Steelers' three Super Bowl teams of the 2000, the line's anchor was Casey Hampton, a 6-1 320-pounder chosen 19th out of Texas.

And for the Patriots, who prefer a 3-4 scheme, it was a 2001 first-round draftee in Vince Wilfork (21st, Miami Hurricanes) who manned the position in their Super Bowl seasons of 2007 and 2011 that ended with losses to the Giants.

The aforementioned four nose tackles have all reached at least one Pro Bowl, with 16 appearances as a group.

Their average draft slot was 15th.

Wilfork, who in his prime chased down a few quarterbacks, is likely to receive votes for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Among his admirers is Chargers linebacker Donald Butler.

In March when a since-resolved salary dispute threatened to make Wilfork a free agent, Butler took to Twitter, seemingly with adrenaline soaring. His Tweet: “I want #vincewilfork!!!”

Butler praised as well other Chargers defenders, including nose tackle Sean Lissemore, a 303-pounder who contributed to the team winning a playoff berth last year. The linebacker was merely implying the obvious, that a top-flight nose tackle would be a boon to any defense, including a team’s other nose tackles.

The question of Nix becoming a special NFL nose tackle would spark a fun debate. He started 11 games as a sophomore after sitting out his freshman year to get used to college rigors and improve his conditioning. As a junior, he looked like a potential NFL standout (his strong work coinciding with the career-best season of linebacker Manti Te’o, now Butler's sidekick at inside linebacker).

Nix was less effective in 2013. In September, he was heavier and slower. He was knocked to the ground more often. His hands remained quick, but it was an up and down season. Following his eight games, he had surgery to repair torn meniscus in his left knee.

Sleeker by February, Nix weighed 331 at the NFL Combine.

The Chargers have the 25th pick, followed by No. 57. The last nose tackle they drafted, Cam Thomas, was a fifth-round selection in 2010. To invest a first-round pick in Nix, the belief would be that his middle season of three was indicative of his NFL potential.
  2. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Too bad Nix wouldn't be a difference maker in this scheme.
  3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,159 / 37 / -21
    I'm just not sure Nix is worth the risk. It's not hard to imagine him falling out of the 1st round.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,575 / 44 / -6
    It sucks that he has the blown out knee, being young and the severity of the injury may allow him to come back. I'd have a hard time grabbing him with our 3rd if there was a known better player available.
  5. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,771 / 47 / -26
    Too bad all we do is make do at the position.
    Last edited: May 1, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,446 / 19 / -4
    What I am wondering is, because he's type-casted as a 3-4 NT only and because of his poor 2013, if he's at 57 would you take him?
  7. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    [​IMG]
  8. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,771 / 47 / -26
    If a simple typo throws you for a loop, it might be time for a nap.
  9. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    Two typos, actually. I'm pretty sure you meant "make due" not "make do"

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    Please don't take my correction too seriously, though. I'm just having fun.

We're talking about a language where "Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo" is a grammatically complete sentence :roflmao:
  11. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    If he's there at 40-45, I'd trade up. There are a number of players and scenarios I would prefer in the 1st round rather than Louis Nix trust me.
  12. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,771 / 47 / -26
    No, I meant "make do"........ as in having to settle for something.
  13. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +255 / 17 / -2
    This spell Nazi approves!
  14. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,771 / 47 / -26
    Amusing to me, that I was "corrected" for something that wasn't in error to begin with. ;)
  15. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +255 / 17 / -2
    Generation Mountain Due? ;)
  16. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,771 / 47 / -26
    That stuff will kill you. ;)
  17. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +185 / 2 / -1
    This one hurts the old brain cell too:
    Where she had had, he had had had had.
    As though you were comparing two similar essays.
    Where she had "had," he had had "had had."
    Last edited: May 2, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    Eh, I looked it up after the post and, while I was wrong, it's a common argument. But I kept it anyway because I like the College Humor video I included.
  19. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,380 / 36 / -16
    I'd say you were accused of "making doo." :poop:
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +131 / 19 / -5
    Nix would be a great selection imo. If we're lucky he'll be there at 57, cool thing to see Jamal calling up Nix name to the podium.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +255 / 17 / -2
    So far we have discussed: do, due, dew and doo! Glad to see you appear when it relates to matters of doodoo :D
  22. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +226 / 8 / -4
    A rather crappy thread. ;)
  23. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +802 / 54 / -42

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, so can I take this as an admission (finally), that Baby Zilla never lived up to your expectations that he'd be a "monster" ??

At least we got to have some fun with the guy and he seemed like a decent dude also .......................to bad he never amounted to anything but mediocre at best.
    Last edited: May 3, 2014
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,771 / 47 / -26
    Nope....... because I never had those expectations. If you thought I did, then you were mistaken. Old age has not been kind to your mental faculties. ;)
  25. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +802 / 54 / -42
    No, ofcourse you didn't !!! :whistling:

What do you mean ........ "Old age" ?????...................my mental faculties were never that kind even in my younger years. :D
    Last edited: May 4, 2014
  26. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,771 / 47 / -26
    My only expectations were that he'd make the team.... the rest was just taking Uncle Tom's joke and running with it. Not the first time someone's thought I was being serious, when I wasn't..... and vice versa. ;)
  27. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,159 / 37 / -21
    Don't worry Jack you wernt mistaken, it's the classic Blue Bolt Backpedal move, blame others for not getting the supposed "joke" that was never there. He does it A LOT.
  28. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +802 / 54 / -42
    Only make the team !!!! ................... so you went to all that effort making God knows how many pics/gifs etc, for a guy who was likely to be nothing better than "a warm body taking up a roster space" ?[​IMG]

Can't say I recall what Father Thomas had to say about Baby Zee way back when, but I guess I have to take your word on it !! ;)

....or I could go and search through the quotes from the 2010 draft in the JNCP. :D

Now knowing the history between you 2 Matty, I'm not about to get involved in a :poop:-slingin' competition ( I love it when you 2 go at by the way ;)), but BLEW and I have been around the block together for more years now than I care to remember, so he has a few credits in the bank with me, so to speak, the simple fact he finds it hard to remember some of his past posts just shows how we are all getting old and forgetful. :laugh:

Do what I do these days ......................when you see what you believe may turn into a regretful post from someone, copy it and keep it in a file to use at a later date to ZINGGGG their arse ...................... its so much fun to pull up a post from years ago and see them flop around like a flathead out of water, while trying to deny they ever said it. ;)
  29. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +239 / 22 / -3
    pre season is in full form on the forum. ;]
  30. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,771 / 47 / -26
    Your memory of the subject is flawed, but that's nothing new. ;)

As you know, it all started out as a rip on Ringo's declaration that Thomas wouldn't even make the roster after he was drafted. I thought his assertion was harsh (and foolhardy), so I declared Thomas a "mortal lock" to make the team. It was all just a bit of fun. As it turned out, I was correct.

Later on, someone posted a grinning picture of Cam, and Tom posted a pic of baby Godzilla, that had more than a passing resemblance...... I took the joke and ran with it. From there, the whole Baby Zilla moniker was born. It wasn't from my great expectation that Thomas would become a monster player...... sorry to burst your bubble. You see, unlike some, I still have all my faculties intact.

Of course, I was hoping that Thomas would develop into a good player, but that's no different than any other player that the Chargers draft. I always hope for the best from our front office. Maybe now, we'll actually get more consistent return from our picks. Telesco is off to a decent start.