1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

U-T: 3-4 Defense needs a top NT to win a Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, May 1, 2014.

1. Javelin

Javelin BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'd jump if he was there at #57. Too risky at #25 though.

I see a trade back into the second round and picking up an extra 3rd rounder. I'd then package our late second and fifth round picks to move back into the middle to early second round to take Nix. Use our high second rounder for CB or OLB.
  2. JAMMER

JAMMER BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +154 / 3 / -1
    NIX coming to SD!

1st round pick!
  3. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +226 / 8 / -4
    Please no.....
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +254 / 17 / -2
    Don't mind what Jammer blurts out once in a while! He's been on a lengthy hiatus looking for that missing Malaysian airliner ;)
  5. JAMMER

JAMMER BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +154 / 3 / -1
    CNN all the way...loosing a plane in 2014! ??????????????????????????????
  6. JAMMER

JAMMER BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +154 / 3 / -1
    Louis Nix or LT from alabama
  7. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +226 / 8 / -4
    Do you have Tourette's or are you just setting the mood for last minute lying? lol
  8. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +130 / 19 / -5
    JFeva got him beat.
  9. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +803 / 5 / -0
    So, how did that search for a NT go?
  10. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +226 / 8 / -4
    330+lb man with 16% body fat and pretty good measurable. We'll see.
  11. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Good character and a very good work ethic as well, seems just the opposite of what we had in Cam Thomas.
  12. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,063 / 30 / -0
    And the fact that he had 90+ tackles last year from the NT position suggests the kid doesn't take plays off.
  13. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,755 / 47 / -26
    Cam was more athletic, but Carrethers seems more powerful...... lets hope the change pays off.
  14. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    It's not about being athletic as a NT, as long as you have strength at the point of attack, leverage, and know how to play the position you will be effective. If you try and be superman and just try to penetrate every snap you'll be exposed early. I think the change pays off, but we'll see.
  15. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,755 / 47 / -26
    I wondered if Cam was more suited to play as an end, he moves pretty well for a guy of his size, but he's not a space-eater. Carrethers seems more like a prototypical NT..... not quite Jamal level athletics, but similar strength.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,755 / 47 / -26
    Interesting that I saw a comment out of minicamp that said Carrethers moves better than Jerideau. I watched Byron's college tape last year, and frankly thought he looked like a better prospect than Geathers. Moved pretty well in the games I saw. Conversely, Carrethers timed poorly at the combine, and isn't going to win any foot races. Just goes to show that tape doesn't always tell the whole story.
  17. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,376 / 36 / -16
    Bite your tongue, Blue!

I've read 886 posts on this site from graduates of U of Tube, who have authoritatively pronounced
    a prospect "garbage" or "awful" who was the next day stupidly drafted by so-called "professionals"
    of winning NFL teams...so I think your allegation is reckless and irresponsible.
    Any three-minute tape does tell the whole story, which is why scouts & GMs do not fly around the
    country to watch guys, interview them, etc. In short: take that back, Blue!!
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,139 / 36 / -21
    Looking at our depth chart, I think the top 3 issues with our roster are now...

1. DE - After Liuget and Reyes we really don't have much, and Reyes himself is in a make or break year. We were 29th in ypc allowed last year in large part because we couldn't control the LOS, if a starter goes down I fully expect more trouble.

2. WR - Even if Floyd comes back we don't know what he'll be, or if he can stay healthy for 16 games. Brown was a huge disappointment last year and has had injury problems himself. Royal ALSO has a lot of injury issues and faded through the season last year. Inman is an unknown.

3. CB - Still an issue, although it looks a lot better when you plug in Verrett and Steve Williams, it's still not ready. Wright needs to have a huge comeback year. Then it's a cluster of mediocre talents like Marshall (who I expect to get cut), Ghee, Cromartie, Butler, Jones, Davis...maybe we move Gilchrist back but I'm not that confident in him either if he's forced to start.

It's really all depth though, I'm pretty happy with our starters.
  19. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,755 / 47 / -26
    Michael Bush among additions to PFT’s All-Unemployed Team

Hey, remember when AJ wanted to get him? Oh, how time flies. ;)
  20. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +254 / 17 / -2
    To be fair to AJerk, he only wanted to trade a 4th rounder if I do remember correctly? Since our 4th rounders are just mythical creatures anyway, even AJerk could not have possibly farged that one up by much ;)
  21. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    You can't have a perfect roster, so with that said.

1. I think Guy is a pretty good young backup and was a nice last minute addition by Telesco last year. He's still young 23/24. Since we play nickel so much, I think the need for quality DE increases some with the way we play this 34 and how many other 34 teams are evolving.

For these reasons, I think Palepoi is one of the guys to really watch with preseason. He could be a good 4th DE. I think DE is at the top of next years draft needs right now along with WR and OL.

2. Can't argue here and this is perhaps the shakiest spot on the team, because we honestly don't have a clear number 2 WR. Even if Floyd comes back, it would be ideal to see him splitting time with a quality WR, instead of being the best and only #2 on the roster.

The fact that we didn't draft a WR could mean a number of things. The first is simply that weighed between OL and many injuries we had and the age of many of OL, the team felt they had to go OL in the 3rd. Having no 4th may have forced the issue some, but there is a good chance Watt wasn't going to be there even if we had a 4th. I looked at our roster holes a lot leading up to the draft looking at what position made sense and which ones didn't. It was clear that one area of need was going to unaddressed. I thought it would be OL, but it was WR.

Another reason for not drafting WR has to likely either be that Floyd is in fact likely to come back or that the team still thinks highly of Vincent Brown or perhaps both factored in.

I do not think the team is counting on UDFA's or Inman to be impact WR's this season even if one makes the team. So either they think we are good to go here, which I doubt, or they think with the depth of the WR draft class that the odds of being able to add another WR to roster down the road from team cuts is pretty good. I think WR is the logical position to see more roster additions before the start of the season.

3. CB Was going to be a work in progress no matter what, once we were priced out of the FA market. I think we have
    some decent young players here and the position is deeper than last year and definitely upgraded, albeit small but quick. Our pass rush should be better as well, so that should help. I'm not nearly has concerned here, outside of the lack of experience and durability with the players we have.
  22. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,139 / 36 / -21
    1. Not a bad point, Guy seems like someone we could get by with this year. He didn't play more than about 15-20 snaps per game, but he was solid. (Not including the Denver playoff game). Still I would say that is just 1 so-so backup, and we have almost no choice but to keep Scafe and Tjong-A-Tjoe on the roster as warm bodies. Reyes really needs to have a huge comeback year.

Palepoi is a 1 gap NT only, he's too short and doesn't have the arm length to play on the edge.
  23. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Playing on the edge, may not be the end all and be all of making this team as a 34DE. What you can add inside on our pass rush line also factors in. He's only an inch shorter than Luiget and Spanos said he had a draftable grade.
  24. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,139 / 36 / -21
    I usually don't prescribe to the whole size has to fit the position idea, but Palepoi has barely over 30" arms, Liuget was listed as having 33 1/2 inch arms the combine. To play him against these LTs who have a full 3-5 inch advantage on him is less than ideal.

Draftable or not he's a 3-tech DT or a small NT, who like Lissemore will add a little more interior pass rush, but will probably be a liability in run D.
  25. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Yeah that's a pretty big difference. He's supposed to be pretty quick, so you never know. He went undrafted for a reason, being a T-Rex might be one of them.
    Last edited: May 18, 2014
  26. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 44 / -6
    Typical Bolt fan, "we don't win every game by 40 points we suck". These boys ain't even been on the field together yet and they've already lost???.

"Shock the World", A young black kid said that and he did exactly what he said he'd do. I loved and respected that man for doing what he said he'd do. Let's give these guys a shot in Bolt Uni's and see what they can do. It's almost looking like some pieces may fall into place and deliver.
  27. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,139 / 36 / -21
    [​IMG]