1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

UDFA`s

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LT-Express, May 10, 2014.

1. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +406 / 7 / -1
    Totally agree that he is much further along than Becton.
  2. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +118 / 4 / -1
    Yeah, but he's also not a Rookie like Becton was last year, let alone an undrafted rookie. You saw how Harris looked 2 years ago, I think Becton takes that jump too, if not even bigger because of a LOT more athleticism. I just keep seeing Harris as a great fit at LG on this OL. He's got the feet, isn't a dominating blocker, but blocks with great angles and is pretty technically sound.
  3. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Umm Harris was an undrafted rookie in 2012, one year before Becton. He was forced into the starting LT spot. He was the poor guy who got destroyed for the whole season cause the big lazy Gaither let the whole team down. So yes, hes got a leg up on Becton for one year, but mainly because of all that experience he got as our starting LT.
  4. jmoods55

jmoods55 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    WHO??
  5. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +118 / 4 / -1
    I'm aware, but your talking about Harris looking a lot better this year than Becton did. Harris is a 2nd year player who got destroyed way worse than Becton did last year. I think that Becton will similarly develop between this year and next year. Becton also got thrust into the starting LT job for a little while. I just think that Becton's length and athleticism suit the LT spot much better than Harris' attributes do.
  6. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +118 / 4 / -1
    OFFENSIVE TACKLE WHO GOES BY JEREMIAH SIRLES
  7. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    You were talking about how Harris looked two years ago(he hadn't played yet and was just signed), implying he was a third year player, and also implied that Harris wasn't undrafted like Becton was.
  8. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +118 / 4 / -1
    Well what do you want me to call the season before last? Did you seriously take that as talking about how he looked this exact moment 2 years ago....seriously.... Also i never said anything about Harris being undrafted or not, i just said that Harris was not a rookie this past season like Becton was, and had some years under his belt. I didn't say anything about Harris being undrafted, after a season, being undrafted or not doesn't make a difference, but its a big deal in that first year. Once your established with the coaching staff, there's a huge difference.

There's a reason that Harris was the backup last year and Becton was a PS player to start the year. One has had a year and a half on the team and was obviously going to be better. But I think that Becton, is going to develop further than Harris could at OT because of his skillset.
    Last edited: May 20, 2014
  9. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    The main problem for Becton is, Harris got thrown to the wolves, so his first year he started over 10 games I think and then looked better last season. Point being, he's got a significant edge in experience. That experience, probably helped him improve a lot and probably helps his chances with the coaches as well, because he's essentially an NFL veteran of sorts. Even better, it's starting experience, so a team looking to keep a swing tackle would have to like that.

I agree, with what I've seen of Becton, he's a better fit physically to develop into an NFL LT, but it could be hard for him to unseat Harris. I'd actually like to keep both guys.
  10. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +406 / 7 / -1
    I was a bit confused on the whole Harris vs Becton discussion (above) too. So bottom line is that looking at them comparatively a number of you reckon Becton is the better medium/long term Tackle prospect. That's cool. I can't say I've seen enough of him to know but if it happens brilliant!. And like Tito said it'd be great to see both of them stick around, with Becton maybe replacing Dunlap in 2015 if not sooner and Harris backing up both spots. The drafting of Watt then makes Clary completely expendable in that we have the RT cover in place too.
  11. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +118 / 4 / -1
    So in the 2.5 games he played in (2 of which being Oak and Tenn, who are both pretty bad pass rushing teams...) he looked better? I guess i just don't see all this promise from him. Becton actually looked pretty decent for the very limited time he got (no starts but he definitely appeared in a few games), and is a very Joe D type of player (Joe D likes very long, very athletic types of OTs)
  12. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +118 / 4 / -1
    I wouldn't get ahead of yourself...it would be nice to have the future LT on your roster, but its VERY unlikely to happen. Im not sure I see either of these guys developing into starting caliber players (possibly Harris at LG), but i think these guys can be solid career backups and spot starters for a while. Becton's the only one that can make it at LT and be a solid option IMO>
  13. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I'm not against Becton by any means, just saying that Harris was thrown to wolves and held his own for a while before he imploded in his rookie campaign. The reports from camp, preseason games and games he played in the regular season last year all pointed to an improved player. Let's remember, he's was promising UDFA as well, but he should have never started that season at LT. Anyway, I'm just saying getting all those starts in real NFL games is an advantage he's got over Becton and I think it's a fairly big one when the team is looking for who they want at backup tackle.

I only noticed Becton play in one or two series in regular season games last year and he didn't implode but they cut him after that for a while as well and risked him clearing waivers, before they resigned him the PS. The other thing about Becton and it will be interesting to watch, is if they play him at RT at all in camp and preseason and if so how well he does.
  14. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +18 / 0 / -0
  15. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +118 / 4 / -1
    Becton was also much more of a project than Harris was, so he obviously has the bigger ceiling. I think your underrating how bad Harris was 2 years ago. I dont really think playing a year and absolutely getting murdered is something that gives him an edge. But like i said, its not like I hate Harris either, i think he's a solid LG/RG/RT option, but i think long term, Becton will be the better OT.

Bently was also the one that talked up Tyronne Green and thought he'd be a great OG a few years ago...so take it for what its worth...He just has a tendency to talk up guys who he worked with...alot...
    Last edited: May 22, 2014
  16. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    Just imagine this big bastard and Fluker on the right side together

17. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I think ultimately the hope is that, due to play in camp and the preseason, Watt is the reason Clary is pushed to take a pay-cut and demoted from starter's duties (if not immediately, by mid-season) and Harris ends up being the reason, long-term, why Clary at any price that's not the vet minimum is expendable after this season.