1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Unofficial post game thread

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Fouts, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Back to the Alethiometer..

Ratings Received:
    +979 / 2 / -2
    Conc - I didn't give our Bolts a prayer against the Texans before this game... We lost. It was expected by most analysts and fans around the league. Yet - - - they were winning that sucker for 3 quarters and doing so in dramatic fashion. Without the bad call against Cam Thomas, they probably still would have won a squeaker. That call, the sudden shift, affected our offensive play calling. The Texans are a hell of a good team, and they took FULL advantage of that sudden shift.

Lots of good stuff to look back on and build on - but that is hard to do when you are butt-hurt after watching a collapse after yet another Zebra screw-up... Weren't you just waiting for it to happen as the 4th quarter opened with us ahead 28-14? I sure as hell was.

Our Rook H/C lost his first game against a team many expect to go deep in the playoffs.

OK - go back to work then show me some results. ;)
  2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    Yeah it wouldn't have been so devistating if we had been trailing the whole game to only lose by 3.

This was far more demoralizing.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    I understand the rah-rah sis-***-ba stance. I honestly do. But read what you wrote. "We lost. It was expected by most analysts and fans around the league. Yet - - - they were winning that sucker for 3 quarters and doing so in dramatic fashion." So this loss is ok? We were not expected to win, so why should we. We were incapable of playing a full 60 minutes so it is ok to lose. I don't buy it, not this season, not ever again.

Bad call against Cam or no, that was ONE CALL. It gave the Texans 4 more points. That was not the game. Rivers inability to do anything in the second half (pooing himself in fear perhaps) was the biggest factor as to why we lost in stunning fashion. Champions win those games. We didn't. You read what I am saying?

The D has for several seasons now not been able to stop anything on 3rd and long. They need to grab their manhood and get off the f'in field!

Texans were a hell of a team, and if the Chargers had played 60 minutes instead of 35 they would have been one hell of a team... No?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    The only positives out of this game is Butler, Freeney and Johnson (who was in beast mode)
  5. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Weddle... And Fozzy Wozzy the bear...
  6. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
  7. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    San Diego Chargers: Pass rusher Dwight Freeney had nine overall pressures in his Chargers debut, which was the most he has had since Week 2 of the 2010 season when the Giants and Colts played. It was also the second most for all Week 1 pass rushers.

On an off related topic, why the #$%^ was Andre Johnson not being double teamed every play?
  8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    [​IMG]
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    no second quarter?
  10. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    I think the second square was that?
  11. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    the second first quarter? ;)
  12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,576 / 44 / -6
    Most of what we witnessed is fixable and that includes replacing pieces............................... Pags?...
  13. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings Received:
    +1,578 / 11 / -0
    Depth isn't an excuse - it's a fact. This team isn't very good. It's not the worst and we do have some great pieces but the puzzle isn't complete and the drop-off from our 1st to 2nd string is FAR greater than most teams and from the kind of team we expect to have.

Defensively depth was HUGE issue - we didn't have guys to rotate in when we needed to - and offensively we don't have the playmakers we need to get it done w/out putting everything on PR. When you're 1's aren't very good and your 2's are worse than that? I'd say that's a depth issue wouldn't you?

And for the record, I never said coaching wasn't an issue - I actually said it was part of the problem as well. Still doesn't make our lack of depth any less of a problem.
  14. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Sorry. Depth IS an excuse. Are you saying we have less people on our 53 man roster than any other team? Are you saying that those players should not be on this roster? We have the depth, we have the same number of players. What we need is execution. If the D makes one stop on 3rd and long they get off the field, correct? How is not making plays a lack of depth?

No one is putting everything on PR. BUT HE NEEDS TO MAKE PLAYS! He cant throw it in the dirt when a player is open for a first down.

Sorry Sid, you go ahead and make excuses, you have 17 more games to polish them up. ;)
  15. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +604 / 11 / -4
    Depth sucks. Whether categorized as an excuse or not, it's going to have an effect.
    I suppose the HC can use it as an excuse. The GM certainly cannot.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,576 / 44 / -6
    Rivers is not the problem as some would like us to believe but if he can't overcome some of his bad decisions then it just might be time for a change. McCoy preaches execution and working hard to get better, I sure hope he has a plan to prove he's serious to the players, DOGHOUSE anyone??????? no one player is above the team and it has to start and stop with the HC.
  17. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    So you give your boy a free pass, but refuse to do the same with RM24? Ummmkay.
  18. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings Received:
    +1,578 / 11 / -0
    I am saying that not all of the 53 players we have on our roster would be there if we had the opportunity to bring in better. Thanks to AJ we don't. Are you saying that our 53 players compared to say, the 49ers, 53 players is equally matched? Just because the quantity is the same doesn't mean the quality is.

The D did make some great stops they were just fewer and more far between as the game went on. Why? Play calling/scheme was part of it for sure but so was exhaustion with a sprinkle of zebra douchebaggery for good measure.

No one is putting everything on PR? Did you hear talk radio this morning? (hell, last night) Have you read the articles? The posts here at BT? Twitter? I don't know what planet you live on but plenty of people are putting it all squarely on his shoulders. Again, I never said he was without blame, just not all of it. Nor that his struggles, given the disappearance of the run game and inability to adjust in the 2nd half, should be surprising.

You want to accuse me of making excuses and cherry-pick one piece of my take because you're butthurt over a bad loss and can't see the forest for the trees. Does that make you feel better? Having someone to take it out on? Making proclamations that the team would have won, not if the players had been more talented, but if they'd just dug a little deeper into their souls?

I'm pissed off about the loss too. I wasted >$300 for the privilege of watching it live and in person. It was awful and it's left a sick feeling in my gut that I really, really hate. It ruined a perfectly good day spent with some of my favorite people. But it doesn't change the fact (yes the FACT) that we all knew coming into this season that this roster wasn't going to cut it.

We are going to suffer some losses and an 8-8 season will be just as likely as 4-12, depending on how the chips fall. If anyone was delusional enough to think otherwise, they've set themselves up some serious disappointment.
  19. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    How is this different than any other team? Any of them. They have starters and they have backups. Thus it is an excuse in my book. Sorry you disagree.

I am saying the same thing you said above. Not all of their players would be on their roster if they could have 53 starters on their roster.

The zebras 'douchebaggery' was on one play. If our team cant overcome then I am sure my opinion isnt going to change at all this season.

Seriously Syd? Who f'in cares what talking heads and fans are saying? The team and the staff are not putting it all on PR. He does deserve a lions share of the blame IMHO because he made some terrible plays in the second half. I dont count the INT as one of them because that was an awesome play by the Texans D. I know you are a huge PR fan, but if you cant hold him up to a standard he needs to be held to, then we dont have a lot to discuss. I have worn the rose colored glasses, and I am tired of the same mistakes over and over season after season. If you are not, so be it.

I'm butthurt am I? Sounds like that is exactly what you are right now? Am I hitting too close to the mark for you? Are you not making excuses right now? Talent is one thing, execution is another. Syd, did the Chargers execute well in the second half last night? Do you have the internal fortitude to answer that without trying to make this a personal attack? Do you?

I feel for you, honestly do. I did not know that at all. I think you are fooling yourself to make such a claim. Are you telling me the draft choices and the pickups of people like Woodhead and Freeney didnt make you think there was a chance. As I stated before (you can go search if you wish) I would not be surprised if we won the west, or took last place. I still say that the loss has less to do with the 'depth' excuse and more to do with execution, and mental toughness. Tell me, with the lack of plays on the O in the second half, how is depth an issue, was the O winded? Or was it they didnt execute and the calls didnt work? Honesty is the best policy...

Ok... and?
  20. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,069 / 30 / -0
    Yep. It wasn't that we lost. It was how we lost. 2nd half collapse, defense giving up 3rd and a mile, Rivers throwing a pick six with a lead in the 4th quarter...It was all just way too much like last year. But the reality is that it takes more than one game to change the mentality of a football team.

I'm not ready to give up on this team. I still believe this team has some solid front line talent that can compete with most teams in the league. I expect improvement.
  21. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,576 / 44 / -6
    Sponge Conc Poopy Pants, Saying Rivers should be replaced is giving him a free pass?????
  22. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings Received:
    +414 / 5 / -0
    I think by "depth" most of us mean "quality depth" where even a handful of them could be starters on other teams. Meanwhile our "depth" wouldn't make the practice squad on the majority of NFL teams.
    So back to semantics, you're partially correct that it's an excuse, but we could also say (which I think Syd was trying
    to point out) that it's the "reason". Subtle difference.
    Excuse: explanation used to justify or obtain forgiveness.
    Reason: explanation of a belief or action.

Guess I'm on Syd's side on this one, not that it matters.
    Carry on...
  23. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    White man speaketh with forked tongue "Rivers is not the problem as some would like us to believe"
  24. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,380 / 36 / -16
    Our roster just isn't very impressive in 2013.

It does lack depth.

There are lots of players of borderline NFL quality.

It's not an "excuse" for losing...but it will be the principal reason for losing this season
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,576 / 44 / -6
    If Rivers play was the only problem the "fix" would be simple but it goes way down deep into the roots.
  26. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    My point is 'it is what it is'. We can go out and look for other players, but the players on the roster are who we have. If they dont make plays, consistently dont make the same play then it is scheme. You cant tell me that 'depth' was all we had on the field for each of the 3rd and longs the last two season, can you? If not, then it is more than just the players, why is that so difficult to understand?
  27. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    I agree to partially disagree for reasons I have already pointed out. If anyone chooses to disagree on this then let us respectfully do so and avoid a B4L like situation.
  28. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings Received:
    +414 / 5 / -0
    Of course, it can only be what it is. Dumb logic aside, I never said anything that resembled what you claim I said in response. But since YOU bring it up...No, the last two years
    were very similar to what we have so far this year "depth-wise".
    It wasn't difficult to understand, it just wasn't a topic that I had read in the posts. Maybe I missed it. My response was one-dimensional, kind of like our D. :whistling:

Bonus:
    it=it
    134=134
    apple=apple
    R=R
    repetitive series of defeatist monosyllables=
    repetitive series of defeatist monosyllables
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  29. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    we need depth, but we entered this season in salary cap hell from the last regime! Our roster is what it is and we are not going to be able to change it. And as much as we hate it unless something drastic happens, I don't see this team going anywhere this year. Every team in this division has gotten better, if Manning can throw 7 TD's on Baltimore, he is going to feast on us!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  30. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Yes lets talk about dumb logic and monosyllables because that makes us appear so much more informed on the topic does it not? :confused:
    You said, did you not that the problem is depth? I am pointing out that the D for two seasons YES TWO SEASONS has been terrible if not incapable of making a stop on 3rd and long. Is this something new to you, or are my monosyllables confusing? Unless you are counting the defensive starters as depth, then your argument in null and void. I suggest that scheme and mind set of the team are much more a problem than not having starters as our backups.

If the problem persistent and consistent, season in, season out, game in game out then it is MUCH more than mere depth. Feel free to disagree if you are so inclined.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1