1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Unofficial post game thread

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Fouts, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,576 / 42 / -26
    Funny, but I think you're trying to have it both ways yourself. You say that "champions win those games", but you said that you had zero expectations for this team. Well, which is it? Do you think this team is good enough to beat the elite teams of the league (which the Texans are considered a member), or do you see this as strictly a rebuilding year?

That's where I find the reactions around here to be as wildly inconsistent as the Chargers. Most posters here thought we'd be a bottom tier team, but they're furious that we lost to a playoff contender. If you fully expected this team to suck, isn't it a little inconsistent to bash them for living up to your expectations? ;)
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,576 / 42 / -26
    Even the league admits the ref blew the call on Cam Thomas.......

Dean Blandino, NFL vice president of officiating, said Tuesday on NFL Network's "NFL Total Access," that the wrong call was made when Chargers defensive tackle Cam Thomas was penalized 10 yards for unnecessary roughness after making contact with Texans long snapper Jon Weeks.

The penalty took a field goal off the board and awarded the Texans a first down from the Chargers' 9-yard line. Houston scored a touchdown on the next play from scrimmage to cut San Diego's lead to 28-21. The Texans went on to win, 31-28.

"No, this was not a correct call. This is not the intent of the rule as it was written," Blandino explained. "The rule is to protect the snapper on a field goal or extra point from a direct forcible blow to the head or neck area, or with the crown/forehead/hairline parts of the helmet to the body. It was not designed to prohibit any contact with the snapper, which is what happened on this play."

Blandino broke down the play on video and explained that incidental contact between Thomas and Weeks should not have been ruled a foul. It was an error that led to four points for the Texans.

"It's a judgment call by the umpire, he's looking at that, and in his judgment, he felt that it was enough for a foul," Blandino said. "And in our review today, we felt that it was not."
  3. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +752 / 5 / -0
    I wonder what Chargers management thought about last night's game? Is it posted somewhere?
  4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,640 / 38 / -8
    How is stating the Champions win those games and having zero expectations even related? Your stretching Blew. Clearly this team IS good enough to beat elite teams if you think the Texans are an elite team. Didnt the Chargers lead for much of the game? Are you saying they could not have made a stop or conversion and beat an elite team? That said, dont stretch to try and make something it isnt.

Perhaps you are happy rooting for a team you think sucks season in and season out. I expect improvements if that makes me some bad guy so be it.
  5. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,576 / 42 / -26
    LOL....... I knew you wouldn't get it.

You said you have no expectations for this team, but then you criticize them for not playing like champions. When did you state that you expected them to be a championship calibre team this season? I must've missed it. ;)

Of course the Chargers were in a position to win that game, but couldn't close the deal..... that isn't anything new. We can't finish games against good opponents, and we have no depth. Same as last year.
  6. powayslugger

powayslugger Optimistic for 2013

Ratings Received:
    +130 / 1 / -0
    No way Matty.

Rivers hasn't been the same QB out there for the last 3 seasons and part of it might be because he loses focus out there with all the jawing he does to the refs. What does it accomplish? The last three years Philip has been crying a river out there and whats happened- he falls apart. I think he just needs to STFU, keep his head in the game and play football. He is starting to look like Sidney Crosby of the NHL Penguins out there... a whiny cry baby. He embarrasses the whole team and city by acting like a crybaby. Wahhhhhhh. Wahhhhhh. Wahhhhhh. I say Rivers needs to nut up, quit b*tching like a little wussy and play football.

So what if he has gone to the pro bowl... That's history. Just WIN BABY.... his whining (and then imploding on himself) has cost us wins... and last time I looked Rivers ain't got no Super Bowl ring on his finger. He needs to zip his mouth closed out there and play F*cking football.... period.
  7. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,640 / 38 / -8
    My what a leap you are making. So if someone says that "Champions win those games" to you that is saying 'The Chargers are not playing like Champions". I think you are just trying to be difficult because you are not that dense.
  8. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,576 / 42 / -26
    All I was saying, was for someone who didn't expect anything out of this team, you seemed oddly shocked when they blow another game. You knew this team was very short on depth, and had a history of losing late. It shouldn't be a shock that just replacing the FO and coaching staff didn't immediately fix that problem.

Pagano still has the secondary playing off the WRs, and the D-line played more snaps yesterday then they have ever before. The two players they brought in for depth weren't ready to play yet. We're expecting Freeney (not a young man) to generate most of the pass rush on his own. The fact that they wore down when the offense stalled isn't at all surprising to me. This team has been a great front runner, but rarely can engineer a comeback. When they lose momentum, it seems to be irreversible. You felt that switch in the game, and you just knew the team would unravel. We've seen it all too many times before.

I would have to say the coaches played their part too though. Like Marty and Norv before them, they seemed to take their foot off the gas when they had a significant lead. The play calling grew more conservative, and they didn't seem to be taking the attack to the Texans like they did in the 1st half. Maybe, that's just a fan's view, but I thought they grew tentative in the 2nd half.... hoping to outlast the Texans, rather than just putting them away. But good teams don't quit, they fight to the bitter end.
  9. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,640 / 38 / -8
    Then you lack reading comprehension. I am not shocked at all. I am frustrated that the team is making the same mistakes each and ever season. Please note this so you do not make any further false ***umptions.
  10. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +813 / 14 / -3
    You can remove Norv but can you remove the Norv that is in Rivers head?
  11. SayOw

SayOw BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +47 / 1 / -0
    I agree...

It bothers me that outside of the Chargers fan base, Rivers is more known for his whining to the refs after every bad pass and not for winning games...
  12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,524 / 43 / -6
    McCoy and crew have their work cut out for them. Turning around what happened Monday night and getting this team ready for a road game is more than enough for the new coaching staff to overcome. Building on what worked and learning from what didn't is what will change the face of this team from losers to winners.

As far as Rivers goes, I don't see him as the glaring problem with the offense. If he doesn't grow within the new system and continues making the same mistakes, McCoy will grow tired of it and make a change, that's what winning coaches do. I don't know how many times that I've heard game announcers point out that "Gates" never drops that ball, or, no quarterback could have thrown it any more perfect and player "X" has to make that catch. Running game, what running game? I believe during the game, Lance was pointing out how the Texans could just run at will against the Chargers, sad but true. Behind Floyd and Gates there just isn't much to threaten a defense, guys need to step up and make plays when called upon, it hasn't happened yet.

The defense needs to get better yesterday. While Schaub had bay front windows to throw through unlike the portholes Rivers seems to constantly have has got to stop. Beats the hell out of me why the Bolts give up three yard cushions for WR's to work in, is that their definition of keeping the play in front of you? it's really getting old. The Texans could have run all the way back home by now if the game didn't end when it did because the Bolts weren't ever going to stop them. I wanted Zimmer as a head coach, now I'd take him for DC if Pags can't get this D to tighten up and play with a bad temper and nasty streak. Tackling was very poor even when guys actually found themselves in the right spot to make a play, it was if they were so surprised they forgot what to do.

This team has a long way and a lot of work to do ahead of them. Some things were good Monday night, too many things went wrong and it needs to stop. My hope now is that McCoy is the right man for the job. Pags should be on notice that if his defense doesn't change then corrective measure will be taken if he can't solve the problem.
  13. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +481 / 13 / -3
    So many thoughts I have on this game, I don't know where to start.

We started exceptionally well, I mean it was a dream start, a turnover and touchdown on the very first play inside 15 seconds was incredible.

There was a lot of good things to take away from this game and there was a lot of bad that we must correct and work on come Sunday @ Philadelphia. Here are my takeaways from the game,

Offense -- we put up 28 points. Not a bad offensive showing. But, when we needed first downs, especially when Houston had momentum, we did not have that killer instinct to kill the game. Great teams are able to overcome that and also we have to make plays! Especially Rivers, had some questionable throws and some really bad ones. Did not adjust well to what Houston was bringing in the 4th quarter.

It was tough to establish a run game, and people are quick to point out Ronnie Brown had more snaps than any other RB, well most of those came on the no huddle drives. I thought we handed one of the best front 7's in defense pretty damn well. Rivers was still hit too many times for my liking, but thats also because Wade Phillips' bogus all out blitzes that will get him no where in the playoffs.

I would of liked to see more of that 5 receiver set with, Floyd, Royal, Gates, Green, and Brown I believe it was.

Defense -- I felt, even with the 1st half we had, something was bound to happen in the 2nd half. Didn't think it would of been a comeback like the one we witnessed. Houston also did a great job getting miss matches as we did. Andre Johnson was lined up against Shareece Wright too many times. Also, Andre Johnson made some big catches against Derek Cox. Both corners have to play better.

They were also on the field way too much. Houston had the ball for 37 minutes!

I've been saying it from the beginning, Marcus Gilchrist is a FS, not a SS. He looked lost at times out there. We need Brandon Taylor back and ready to go. I hate to see Jahleel Addae in there, he looked lost as well. Bront Bird, you my friend shouldn't even be on the team! We're missing Te'o in coverage, and Te'o won't be ready for Sunday, so I'd consider Gachkar over Bird, that's how bad he looked.

Depth is concerning on the defensive side, hopefully Nevis, Lissemore, and Manning can start easing their way in on the team. Also, why is Tourek Williams on the 53 and not Keiser? Keiser looked the better pass rusher (which we could use) in pre-season.

Special Teams -- played well, still got to do a better job covering kicks. We couldn't stop a fake punt, that was executed well by Houston, and also changed the game around.
  14. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +602 / 11 / -4
    Not so sure about scheme being the main problem. I would say that another problem is that our GM did not acquire the necessary depth. We can make excuses/reasons as to why (cap space, nothing to work with from AJ, etc), but when Geathers is our primary back up at NT, we're ******. Thomas can't go every snap, and Geathers gets blown off the line. No scheme in the world is going to enable an UDFA like Geathers to perform against the other teams #1s. That's just one example. Our situation at mike ILB and one of starting CBs and nickel CB are two others--crap veterans off the scrap heap.

That's all part of a rebuilding year though. Which also could be seen as an excuse. But there are few, if any, coaching staffs that could work with our roster on D. Multiple substitutions are needed and we don't have the personnel to make those substitutions work well.

Offense issues are an entirely different can of worms....
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  15. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +191 / 6 / -3
    Geathers, as I feared, is struggling with leverage. Tall guy, I think he's actually more suited to the 5-tech with regards to that (although leverage is an issue at either spot).

I've seen some here arguing that depth is no excuse. Excuse? Maybe not, but reason? Yes, without question. Admittedly you cannot have stars at every position, but the GM's job is to build a TEAM which can perform at a high level at the starting positions with as little drop-off as possible at the backups. The teams who are the last left standing are either incredibly lucky regarding injuries, have this depth, or some combo of both.

AJ did not build depth of a reliable quality AND he put us in a pinch with the cap. This turd he left won't be polished overnight. There's plenty of blame to go around for this last loss, but to overlook the depth issues or to write it off as simply something that other teams overcome is a shallow interpretation of both the problem and the result.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,640 / 38 / -8
    Sorry I respectfully disagree. What both of you seem to be forgetting is the 'scrap heap' lack of depth team for 35 minutes dominated the other team, I know it doesn't play into your thesis so you ignore it. I don't. Did the Texans just give the a comfortable lead to make the Chargers feel better about their efforts? Hell no.

So it is not depth (or more accurately not depth ALONE). The coaches backed off in the second half, Rivers got scared and the D got winded. The same problems from last season reared their ugly heads this game, more to the point in the second half. I guess that depth is only a 25 minute issue to you. Well scheme and mental fortitude is a 60 minute game and the Chargers are struggling with both in my honest opinion.
  17. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +602 / 11 / -4
    When do you expect lack of depth to come into play? In the 1st half? I'd say it's more likely to hit home later in the game.

At any rate, my point is that it's both depth and scheme. The two aren't completely independent. As far as 60 minutes: No depth = winded players = lack of mental fortitude and it gets worse as the game goes on. Remember, when you're redlined, it's freaking hard to play against guys who aren't. Throw crap coverage scheme into the mix and you're screwed.
  18. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,640 / 38 / -8
    Which team has the best depth in the league in your opinion. Answer that, now put them into an equation where their offense runs say... 7 to 11 plays in a half... How well does that team with the best depth stand up?

The depth is what it is. It is what we have. If the D stops playing off every receiver (scheme) and does not allow them free 5 yards clearance to catch the ball (scheme) and possibly nuts up and makes a stop every now and then on 3rd down (scheme/possibly depth) then we have a different ball game. Our D got timid when their D got aggressive. Our O got timid when their O was handed open short passing lanes and 5 YAC gratis... Sorry to me that is scheme. It is the same scheme issues from last season. Go ahead and call it depth if that tickles your fancy.
    We will never have a roster with 53 starters. If you are expecting that, then you better settle down and expect the Chargers to never win again.

Now as I have said, I am not going to go B4L on this, I said why it is what it is, you and others want to take the easy canned excuse fine. Last season you and Blew were 'Realistic Regina's' I guess that is no longer fun for you huh?;)
  19. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +602 / 11 / -4
    I'm still being realistic, not sure how I'm being overly optimistic here (or is it pessimistic, I can't tell which way you're hucking that axe).

Yes we have what we have. But how the hell do you play a guy like Geathers. Like you said "or more accurately not depth ALONE", and like I said "my point is that it's both depth and scheme. ". We agree. You just don't know it yet. ;)
  20. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,640 / 38 / -8
    If you say so FCB.
  21. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +191 / 6 / -3
    I've never said it was depth alone but it IS a large part of the equation. Nor have I said that fortitude/mental strength is NOT - in fact, one of my first comments was that the best teams overcome challenges. That lead that was built? That was with primarily STARTERS - not the backups = "depth".

Again - I've said more than once that there was plenty of blame to go around. I certainly haven't said the loss can be pinned on depth ALONE. I simply will not write off the depth issue as something all teams must face so it's an equal burden. You're correct in that they must face it - what you seemingly fail to incorporate into your equation is that the more successful teams either a) completely avoid injury to their starters, b) have more talented/productive backups, or c) (and the most likely scenario) a combo of the two. This team was left with short shrift for depth AND salary cap limitations. Depth will continue to play a role, particularly against the more talented, deeper teams. That's a very real part of the equation.

Thanks for helping me to realize that you will place whomever into whatever group works for your argument - I'll keep that info in sight going forward with any discussions we might have.
  22. Devo

Devo BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My impressions from the game:

*the d-line was getting pushed around all night. It makes the LBs jobs harder if they have to navigate around massive piles moving toward them like that. The d-line needs to be stout and NOT get pushed around like that.

*the o-line really did not open up a lot of holes for the Chargers RBs. It looked to me Houston defenders missed a lot of tackles in that first half but tackled better in the second half.

*the RBs ran hard.

*Rivers played well. He audibled at the line and made the right adjustments. Even on the pick-six, there was a blitz, so he sent the RB into the flats. That's the correct call. He threw while off-balanced, the ball was behind Woodhead and Cushing made a fantastic catch. But the Chargers were reeling before that play anyway. That was basically the nail in the coffin.

*I don't see how you can blame the coaching. The first drive of the second half had 6 pass plays and 2 runs, but ended in a TD to make it 28-7. Houston responded with a long drive (that included converting a 3rd and 18) to make it 28-14. The next drive, Gates drops a long pass and SD can't get a first down. Again, the d-line gets pushed around and offers zero pass rush (Johnson and Freeney - OLBs - were the only ones consistently getting pressure) and the Texans convert a 3rd and 13 & a 3rd and 8 on a TD drive. It's now 28-21 and San Diego looks in trouble BIG TIME. Mathews gets a hand off to start the next drive and he didn't stand a chance. It's 2nd and long and SD calls a draw that gets a couple yards, then Watt swats the ball on 3rd and 9. After that Chargers went up 28-7, the offense called 3 pass plays and 3 run plays. By then it was 28-21.

And it wasn't Pagano's defensive calls that gave up 3rd and long, unless his defensive call was "allow that guy to get wide open." The secondary was/is a problem. The defensive backs are not very good. It really is that simple. You can't make a good dinner with rotten groceries.
  23. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,640 / 38 / -8
    What ever floats your boat RR...

My post was accurate in the response to yours and pointed out why I thought that way. If that twists your knickers that is your problem. Thank you for helping me realize how sensitive you are to contrary opinions. I too will keep that in mind going forward.
  24. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,576 / 42 / -26
    Not being able to figure out what Conc means, versus what he writes is not a new problem...... goes back to the CMB era. ;)
  25. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,640 / 38 / -8
    That is because you choose to play obtuse when you have nothing to back up what you say.:D
  26. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,576 / 42 / -26
    If you say so........ but there's much evidence to the contrary. You'll see that I'm not alone in this. ;)
  27. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,640 / 38 / -8
    No you never are, but that is a pack mentality I have mentioned before. You always have the same clique agreeing with you. Very yesman....
  28. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,576 / 42 / -26
    I have no clique........ I never met any of those people.

And now, you'll claim that you've never posted in the N&N thread before. ;)
  29. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +191 / 6 / -3
    I'm in no one's clique here.

You are obtuse & quite ready to place words in another's mouth. We all have our moments- so far, most of yours seem to fit into this category.
  30. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,640 / 38 / -8
    Social media being what it is today negates that argument....