1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

updated mock draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by charger1993, Feb 12, 2012.

1. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings Received:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    1. Alshon Jeffery WR, South carolina
    2.Jonathan Massaquoi OLB, Troy
    3. Josh Norman CB, Coastal Carolina
    4.Michael Egnew TE, Missouri
    5. Matt Daniels SS, Duke
    6. Max Gruder ILB, Pittsburgh
    7. Nicolas Jean- Baptiste DT, Baylor
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  3. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    im not sure if ur complimenting me or dissing me, but either is accepted
  4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Neither... Mocking AJ. I expect he will take a Gatorade boy in the first round from the College of Central Utah, after trading up to get him...

LOL...
  5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    I sure ain't sold on Jeffrey at 18 ....

DEFENSE!!!!!!!
  6. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I'm not sold on Jeffery either. And if the guy doesn't run a sub 4.5 he won't be drafted in the 1st round; sorry, but that's a been a strong indicator for years and years now in the pros. And really, other than a potential stay healthier more often and being younger, I really don't see much that Jeffery brings to the table that we don't already have in Floyd. I'd take Michael Floyd and Mohammad Sanu over Jeffery ten times out of ten. Jeffery's Mike Williams (the "other SC" one) all over again.

That said, I don't have Jeffery inside my Top 20 prospects, so I fail to see how Jeffery is a value pick at #18... thus... no, just no.
  7. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    well if we were to draft today, this is what I'd like to see..
    Granted we don't know whats going on with other players BUT.. Just guesstimations

1. Luke Kuelchy ILB *Trade with Philadelpia at #15*
    2. Andre Branch *3-4 OLB*
    3. LaMichael James RB
    4. Tavon Wilson SS
    5. Ladarius Green TE
    6. Joe Long T
    7. DaJohn Harris DT

The Chargers were in the top 5 worst run defense for teams running a 3-4.. opponents average 4.4 YPC.. and we were top 10 NFL's worst on 3rd down, and we all know we struggled getting off the field on defense this year.. Spikes is 35, I would offer him a pay cut of a little more than half his salary, which would be 1.6-1.7 M and stay as a rotational player and teacher to the game or we simply cut him.. Kuelchy and Butler will be the future of this team.. A lot of people say Keulchy reminds them of Zach Thomas as regards for having a nack for the ball.. This is a must to upgrade here

4 defensive players selected, similar to last year's draft
    • Like Like x 1
  8. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    I would also like to see Josh Norman but I just don't know where he fits.. Unless we trade for a pick or get a FA to fill in one of those needs I can see him getting selected..
  9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    You still show all 7 picks for 2012. What are we trading to get to 15?

I do like the Kuechly pick. May be the safest bet in the draft.
  10. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    To Philly? were only trading up 2 spots.. Reid has never liked the idea of drafting LB's in the first round, a lot predicted Kuelchy to go there but I highly doubt it.. I would trade a future pick to them if they want something in demand.. all of Philly's needs won't be taken off the board atleast to me.. The Jets at #16 will take a pass rusher cause they need one badly or a safety.. and Cincy will deff take Kirkpatrick at #17 to me just cause it fits them so perfectly, a guy with an arrest off the field, there getting old at CB and Hall won't be able to get into shape by the season start and they deff need a CB without a doubt..
  11. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    the reason i had us taking Alshon at 18 is many reasons, nick perry and courtney upshaw will most likely be gone in the first, there will be no cornerback that would be a great pick, and VJ might leave, that being said we would need a receiver, im not saying by any means that Alshon is the same or better player than VJ, but i think he could be a suitable replacement, i also developed this draft around my Man crush's from this years draft, 2.Jonathan Massaquoi OLB, Troy 3. Josh Norman CB, Coastal Carolina 4.Michael Egnew TE, Missouri, i figured from watching tape, this combined draft would help the chargers the most, off of talent and skill and football iq
  12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    If we were to go WR at 18 I'd take Wright over Jeffery. I realize that they're too entirely different type of players but Wright would add a speed dimension to this offense that we could really use.

As for Egnew, not that impressed. I'd as soon have Green. Massaquoi is intriguing & Norman I like.
  13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
  14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,432 / 19 / -4
    Mel Kiper latest draft
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/id/7575960/mel-kiper-second-mock-draft-year

[​IMG]
    San Diego Chargers

Record: 8-8
    [​IMG]
    Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame
    What happens with Vincent Jackson obviously could have an effect on this selection, but even if Jackson remains, the Chargers could use another player who can create matchup problems in the passing game. Floyd showed me a lot this year -- he cut his weight some and played lighter than 230 pounds, and it really made him a more explosive player. He can make plays all over the field in the passing game. The Chargers also must get some help on the offensive line, and could go that route here if they really like a player.
  15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Screw that. If we want a head case for a WR, let's just get in on the bidding for Moss. :rolleyes:

Kiper's hair gel must be toxic.
  16. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    yeah id want green, but green wouldnt fall that late in the draft, so the next available Te is Egnew, im going off of team needs first, followed with the BPA aspect of it, if a WR is taken first by us, this is the BPA i can see
  17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,432 / 19 / -4
    I think that's just based on the fact that VJ could potentially leave the team ergo we need another WR. Based on that makes sense, but still ignores all our other needs. I don't recall seeing Perry in the first with Kiper, just out of curiosity wonder why that was
  18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    We have enough needs right now that BPA is a very logical way to proceed.

Egnew is going to disappoint some team very badly. And I seriously doubt that BPA at 18 is going to a WR unless it's Wright. Jefferey will either get over-valued by someone before 18 or he'll drop. If he's there at 18 he won't be BPA. When he runs a high 4.5 or better in the combine & shows he's slow out of his breaks, more folks will see that his size is his main strength.
  19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Kiper may be playing the "this is so obvious AJ won't do it" card regarding Perry.

If Upshaw is there at 18, it's him. If not, it's Perry. This isn't an endorsement, just what I see happening.
  20. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,757 / 47 / -26
    Not even a mention of the defensive side of the equation? :eek:

Kiper needs a coffee enema to clear his head. :D
  21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    As Ant said, it's largely a knee-jerk reaction to the likelihood of VJ moving on.

He may also be on the "it was all Manusky's fault" bandwagon. Can't say that I'm sorry to see Manusky move on, but the talent on our defense is suspect. We really need an impact player on that side of the ball - OLB would be the spot I'd predict to have the most impact. More *** in the middle would be good. ILB is still a position of need with Spikes only getting older & Mouton unproven. Cam Thomas showed improvement but we can still upgrade there, or at the very least find another athletic fat man to rotate in. Another safety to pair with Weddle is still a question mark, along with CB.

Going offense in the 1st means one of 4 things IMO ...

Gaither doesn't get re-signed.
    A key offensive player gets hurt badly (or retires) prior to the draft.
    No one on the defensive side of the ball is worth the 18 pick (unlikely with our needs).
    AJ & Co. just don't farking get it. :mad:
  22. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,757 / 47 / -26
    1. Then we're screwed
    2. Icing on the crap cake
    3. Very unlikely scenario
    4. That's a given
  23. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Truly. I mean, at this point (until he proves me wrong by running faster than I expect him to) I'd draft Mohammad Sanu over Alshon Jeffery and I don't think Sanu has anything more than good-to-great #2WR ceiling (but at least the guy works his tail off and is a premium run-blocker; Sanu's effectively a FAR less athletic Hakeem Nicks). We have no prayer of Blackmon and the only other WR that I'd consider at #18 would be Michael Floyd (unless Wright is taller or at least has longer arms than his Senior Bowl measurements indicate), and with Floyd I'm still not convinced he's got much more than a middle of the road #1WR ceiling in most schemes or that his whole "I've seen the light and laid off the sauce" leaf isn't just going to go away once he gets paid as a pro.

I'd sooner hit a defensive need in the 1st and if the guy fell into the early teens in the 2nd trade up for someone like Dwayne Allen (or Fleener, but I get the feeling that unless Allen lays waste to the combine a la Vernon Davis - when he may just go more Virgil Green - someone's going to bite on Fleener's hype and "completeness" before Allen's) from Clemson (I'd be perfectly happy to settle for Fleener, but Allen is more of the "athletic" type that can create mismatches) than spend a 1st round pick on a WR not named Justin Blackmon.

As far as actual receivers in the draft, I still think a guy like T.Y. Hilton could do wonders for us - I just worry his stock's going to rise too high.

Egnew's trouble... in fact, I've yet to see a Mizzou TE in the Gary Pinkel era do anything but disappoint as a pro (Mike Rucker, Chase Coffman... they're all under-developed, spread-formation TE's who never learned how to block and are already behind the learning curve as pro's). I have trouble seeing Egnew as anything different. I'd sooner just use the same pick on Orson Charles from Georgia who may not be quite as ideally tall, but he's still got some athleticism and is considerably more polished (and reminds a bit of Hernandez from New England).
  24. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    I agree with most of what you said, Im going off the assumption that VJ is gone, and im not looking for a speed WR, yes speed kills but good hands will always win, who remembers jerry rice??? dude was slow but he had great route running, im not saying this is alshon, i see alshon as a big target that could take VJ's physical element to replace. A WR i really like is juron criner, but he's not first round worthy. I would take Dwayne allen in the first if we could get Juron criner,maybe dwight jones, in that later round
  25. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    Just saying that if the draft choice would not be WR first round, i would do this
    1.Nick Perry USC DE, " yes i said De, Castillo is gone, luiget is a scrub, so i say put his pass rushin on the line"
    2. Jonathan massaquoi LB, Troy " english is a bust lets add to the attack"
    3. Josh Norman CB Coastal Carolina "cason is no more than a nickel back, jammer is old, gilchirst is showing promise lets make our tandum young"
    4. Emmanuel Acho Ilb Texas " another fast smart LB to team with butler"
    5. Juron Criner, WR Arizona " Vj might be gone, lets get some help out there"
    6.Rhett ellsion TE, USC " lets help out gates"
    7. Kelcie McCray SS Arkansas state " gotta start trying to find help"
  26. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Dwight Jones and Jeff Fuller both are so incredibly overrated because of their size (and Jones' size isn't really all that special either). With modern past-5-yards contact rules limiting defenders, receivers really don't need to be gargantuan basketball players to box-out and make a catch on hitch, stop, or out routes. A solidly filled-out frame is more important than pure height, as is wingspan and hand-size. Criner's a guy I like, but again... may go higher than I'd necessarily prefer to invest in a WR that doesn't have a slight chance of an elite ceiling (Criner's going to be lucky to run in the low 4.5's). I'm much more of a Nick Toon supporter. Or simply waiting until the 3rd or 4th for a guy like Marvin McNutt (again, won't be a "special" WR, but he's got a pro-ready skill set and has a nose for dissecting zone-coverage).

Alshon is a less athletic version of Plaxico Burress - at least that's the way it looks right now (if he ever got his weight to a more manageable 215ish his athleticism might be less stifled). And unless someone screws his head on straight for him, I really don't see much of a difference in what he brings to a team between him and a guy with late 2nd (at best) to pure 3rd round stock like Tommy Streeter.
  27. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Sorry, but you lose all credibility calling a 5-Tech DE a scrub after a single season (and one in which there was a shortened off-season). You just do. Massaquoi is raw as all get out and at best a pass-downs only rotational guy as a rookie. I like the kid (Duffman, before you jump on me) but 2nd round is too early to invest in him.
  28. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,432 / 19 / -4
    I keep hoping for a 5th option - Clary's powers of blackmail that keep him somehow in the right tackle position regardless of skill will fade. But yes I happen to agree, defense needs to be addressed with the majority of our draft picks

But if there's someone who's on the offensive side who falls and is just too good to pass up.......?
  29. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,432 / 19 / -4
    1. Nick Perry OLB USC - We need someone, anyone, in that position to be brought in
    2. Bobby Wagner ILB Utah State - love his athleticism, his talent in coverage
    3. George Iloka S Boise State - Size, power and decent coverage
    4. Ladarius Green TE Louisiana Lafayette - Someone to groom alongside Gates
  30. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    IMO, this would be a good draft. Perry is going to succeed. Is he a value at 18? Maybe not, but he's quite likely to represent a damn close mix of BPA & need for us at that pick. And I do believe that AJ is going to fall in love with him. Wagner is a baller, pure & simple. His stock is already on the rise & he should test well enough at the Combine to maintain that level of interest. I've already spoken of my interest in Green. Iloka has good size for the position & comes from a winning program. Sound familiar? I'm not totally sold on him but I really haven't seen much of him either. I did get to watch him in person last year at the VT/BSU season opener in DC. He's a bit of an unknown to me. Harrison Smith or Markelle Martin are more my choices, but that's just my opinion.

Ant, to address your question .... if BPA at 18 is offense, I'd personally be very tempted to go there. Why? We've seen where drafting for need/infatuation has gotten us. There are enough holes now in this team that I believe BPA would be hard to argue against.