1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

updated mock draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by charger1993, Feb 12, 2012.

1. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I agree in principle, I just have trouble seeing a ton of guys who I would consider BPA being available at #18. Maybe one of Martin or Reiff gets exposed as being more the natural RT/swing-tackle (i.e. not the most natural fit for LOT that puts the premium value on them) at the combine, but that's honestly about it.

Michael Floyd will test well and there are enough teams ahead of us willing to buy his redemption from straying the path story (yes, two different alcohol related charges on his record - though the guy stopped drinking entirely since the last incident and actually moved into a sober dorm, made changes in his life to befriend a more conservative crowd, etc.) that his measurables and college stats will be enough to convince them to draft him ahead of Wright (unless it's the Jags doing the drafting because they won't touch ANYONE with iffy character and always go a bit off the map with their draft picks).

I love Dwayne Allen, but he's not currently a complete enough package to equate to a Top 20 pick (frame not filled out enough and isn't at a level with his blocking YET that I'd call him a complete TE like Gronkowski, Olsen, Davis, Pettigrew, etc. were).

DeCastro won't make it out of the Top 15 - absolute floor for him is the pick ahead of us (Cincinnati with Oakland's pick), but I could see Dallas, Jacksonville (crazy I know, but it's a total Gene Smith type pick), Arizona, KC, and the potential for a Chicago trade-up as all definite spots for him.

And the only other argument I could see for BPA might be Trent Richardson, but again... he's likely gone earlier than expected (strong possibility that he goes to the Bucs if Claiborne is off the board). And RB would be one of those BPA's I lump in with QB right now where we've got our player (for better or worse) for the time-being, so we'd just move on to the next best available player in that instance.
  2. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings Received:
    +72 / 10 / -2
    im sorry im just not a liuget fan, hes not a terrible player, but he doesnt play aggressive enough for my liking. and youre right Massaquoi is raw as sushi but so was aldon smith, raw can transistion to a great player, or a bad player its a gamble. im willing to take it on him hes an unbelievable pass rusher.
  3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    Why are the Arkansas WRs not getting any love in all the talk of WRs in this year's draft?
  4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,678 / 44 / -26
  5. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Aldon Smith also had much more pro ready size and athleticism that exceeded what the actual drills tested (his lateral agility really isn't all that great but he's got enough of it to pair with his length and power that wasn't really all that measurable by combine standards - the guy was playing the 3-Tech on passing-downs in college.

Liuget went from college where his game was predicated largely off of overpowering the opposition (watch the film, it's pretty evident) to the pro's where his strength by comparison to the competition was average-at-best. Give him a chance to actually develop his body and build more pro-caliber strength and we should see marked improvement. His technique is actually really sound, he's just not getting push because he's not strong enough/not used to playing against guys this strong yet (it's honestly the exact same thing Cameron Heyward ran into this year too).
  6. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Because right now both of them are (or at least were in college) 15+ pounds lighter than they're going to need to be to play in the pro's and not just have their speed off the line completely neutralized by aggressive, physical press-corners (you know... pretty much the same formula that is used to take DeSean Jackson out of games can be used on both Adams and Wright - more so Wright than Adams). I'm also not sure either one is a legit 5'10" and in fact I'm confident Wright isn't.

My biggest concern with Adams is he has small hands, which accounts for his issues with fumbling; his route-running also isn't as great as some want to sell it as. I actually still like him as a prospect and a pro better than Wright, but he's going to need to be paired with the right coaches because his consistency is a cause for concern (shows up in big games, tends to disappear against teams his skill-set says he should absolutely carve up). He's someone I think Joiner would like, but his pure speed may get him drafted earlier than his readiness suggests he should be.
  7. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings Received:
    +72 / 10 / -2
    and i never like cameron herward either, i much rather have a finesse guy than power rushing the qb, the power should be there but it shouldnt hinder your ability to rush the passer, i mean seriously i wouldnt be so upset with Liuget if he had a decent amount of tackles, or even qb hurries, but idk i feel like hes gonna suck it up.i think the way he plays, that hes a NT that doesnt way enough.im all for drafting nick perry and jonathan massaqoui to improve the pass rushing
  8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,100 / 34 / -21
    Its extremely unlikely Liuget will ever be worth the pick we spent on him, and its a shame because its not his fault. IMO he's just a better fit as a 3-tech, he's not built like Justin Smith, Aaron Smith, or Richard Seymour or even Cameron Heyward who I believe has a higher upside at 5-tech.

If he can get stronger and bulk up to around 320 he might be a better fit at nose though. Just a thought.
  9. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Just what we need, 3 years to develop a WR. A wasted #1 pick if this happens.

I would settle for a 3-4 round WR like Tommy Streeter.
  10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,100 / 34 / -21
    In a premtive strike to get ahead of the combine hype I'm going to ask what you think of Chandler Jones.

IMO I see some Pierre Paul'esc athleticism and A+ character that will get him talked about next week, but with very average pass rush moves. Seems like a guy AJ would reach for.
  11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I like what I see out of Jones, but honestly it's really difficult to judge any Syracuse player off of tape because of how consistently weak competition they face week in and week out. Sometimes the combine drills help put that a little more in context because you can compare what other guys who tested similarly to the guy who faced lesser competition in terms of expectations.

I can't put a stock rating on him yet, because I need to get a better idea of his short area quickness and explosion (both of which look like on tape that they should be very good). I love his length, I'm a bit concerned that his burst can get stalled out too easily. And unless he tests off the charts, he's a bit too raw to merit a 1st round pick, but I'd classify him in the same way I do Massaquoi right now - a floor of the 3rd round because of his upside with the possibility to solidify 2nd round stock at the combine and possibly tickle the bottom of the 1st for the right team. I think he may have more appeal to some teams as a 4-3 RDE (considering this class lacks a lot of depth at the position after guys like Mercilus, Perry, and Taylor go off the board).

He's not Pierre-Paul athletic from what I can tell, but few are. He could, though, pretty easily be Aldon Smith athletic. JPP was a freak that quite frankly the draft hadn't seen the likes of in a DE prospect since Mario Williams. He was just far more raw than Williams was at time of prospect.