1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

updated mockdraft, my final will be after all combine events

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by charger1993, Feb 26, 2012.

1. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings Received:
    +72 / 10 / -2
    1. Nick Perry OLB USC
    2. Stephen Hill WR GT
    3. Josh Norman CB Coastal Carolina
    4. Ladarius Green TE Louisiana Lafayette
    5. Nate Potter OT Boise State
    6. Matt Daniels SS Duke
    7. Kellen Moore QB Boise State
  2. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +507 / 13 / -3
    I like it but I think we can take Ronnie Hillman there at round 5 and in round 6 we can take a guy like Joe Long as a OT and in round 7 we take a guy like Jerrel Young at S..

Also if were talking QB's I'd take Ryan Lindley, Dan Persa and Russel Wilson over Kellen Moore right now.. For some reason I see Russel Wilson and Lindley being UDFA.. we just need a solid number 3 QB on the PS..
  3. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +72 / 10 / -2
    kellen moore is a winner and knows how to play, which is why i put him at the 7th cause everyone knows volek isnt getting any younger, and yea there could be some improvements to this mock draft. but after the combine ill give my final one
  4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21
    I'll tell you what we'd have the best collection of RAW young talent coming out of th draft....emphasis on raw. I think 2 or 3 years down the road this is a draft that would look very solid on paper.

Other than Potter I like it, if we're gonna replace Clary than we need to committ to it by spending a 1st or 2nd rounder on RT, not add another Steven Schilling'esc roster bubble guy who just continues the status quo of handing the job off to the next guy in line.

I like the Moore pick. Brees and Brady have more than proven you can improve arm strength, and he's got the brain and the accuracy to be a sort of Chad Pennington type starter in the future.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +507 / 13 / -3
    I think Schilling played exceptionally well for us in Chicago as a rookie. Also I think Moore will actually go higher than the 7th.. chargers1993 and your points are true but I think we can find a 3rd string QB in the UDFA class
  6. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Lindley should go right around the 5th round - he's got something that not a ton of the QB's after the top 4-5 guys in the class have and that's upside. He needs development something fierce, but he hasn't shown a major deficiency which is something you can say of most of the rest. Wilson could go anywhere from the 3rd round to UDFA (I doubt he's a UDFA but I've seen bigger headscratchers before), depending on how much team's knock him for lack of height.

I really have trouble seeing how people look at Kellen Moore and don't see another Colt McCoy. We heard the same excuses for McCoy's lack of arm strength: "He's cerebral," "He's a known winner," etc. The Pennington comparison isn't really all that accurate because Pennington actually had slightly better than average arm strength at Marshall (as good as Byron Leftwich's was at the very least) and his first couple years as a pro before the repetitive shoulder injuries wrecked that.
  7. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +72 / 10 / -2
    i put potter down because i see him as a value pick that could help, theres no real o lineman i want this year
  8. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +507 / 13 / -3
    Well
    Well I was watching the combine and the route the receivers were running to the sideline was about 8-10 yards and Lindley failed to hit the receiver almost every throw. He's had accuracy issues before as well but is a VERY good deep ball thrower!

Mark Barron might just fall to the 2nd round.. he is not competing in the combine and won't at the pro days. So guys like Dre Kirkpatrick and Trumaine Johnson might be drafted as a safety.. Antonio Allen, George Iloka, and Markelle Martin, Harrison Smith all have opportunities to improve their stock
  9. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    It's where Barron should go, but he won't fall much past the first 5 picks of the 2nd round as an ABSOLUTE floor. Someone will bite on the hype and the aura of the program he's coming out of. Jerry Jones is a definite possibility, Mike Brown (who lives for feeling like he pulled one over on the rest of the league by taking a guy that the experts loved but most scouts didn't value as highly) is another, and then there's the Belichick-Saban connection that can't be overlooked.

I've been saying the bold from the outset. Stephon Gilmore is the better tall, long developmental corner prospect. Trumaine Johnson doesn't have the recovery speed and his footwork needs reworking if he's going to play corner, he likely makes an earlier impact as a safety.

All in all, it's just really not that great of a safety class.
  10. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +72 / 10 / -2
    i agree, im waiting for next year, i want armstrong out of miami. He might be rough, he might have alil bit of problems but the dude can ball
  11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I agree with making a value pick on an OL... I'm not sure that Nate Potter is all that great a value though. You make value picks occasionally on upside, but largely they're made because the guy might not have much of a ceiling but his floor allows him to contribute (even if it's as depth or a ready reserve from Day One). Potter, unless he's put in a zone-blocking scheme, looks like a guy who is a minimum of a year or more away from any kind of meaningful contribution because he simple won't have the strength to continue doing what led him to success at Boise State. He walls off, he doesn't explode, which kills his versatility at the next level. I'd take guys like Marcel Jones, Antoine McClain, and Josh Oglesby over him in terms of "pure value".
  12. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    To heck with Ray Ray (Bring it on, CD!), I want Ramzee Robinson or T.J. McDonald. Ray Ray is nice athletic, but I'm just not convinced he has it right between the ears; Randy Shannon recruited Florida high schoolers almost purely off of athletic/physical potential and didn't pay attention to character or work ethic for a hill of beans. I'm just not inclined to trust many Miami prospects that were highly-touted recruits under his regime.
  13. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +72 / 10 / -2
    i like T.J. Mcdonald, but will we have a chance to get him? he could be a first rounder next year, kid has skills, and Ray Ray is big strong and physical but i like him and im hoping he can turn out to be great and get his head on straight this year
  14. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +72 / 10 / -2
    you have a point, i just dont see most of them being there at the round in the draft, and potter is hopefully just a filler and value till next year
  15. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +507 / 13 / -3
    It would be nice if Barron fell into the 2nd round cause we can trade up for him if hes available in the top 5 of the 2nd.. So we would get two VALUABLE picks without giving much up.. that defense might just be set for the next 4 years if we got Perry & Barron in the same draft..
  16. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    We're not moving up from the middle of the 2nd to the top 5 of it without giving up our 3rd, or a future 2nd. I'm not willing to surrender that kind of price for a player who, had even 1 or 2 of the underclassmen safeties declared, would have likely toyed with late 2nd/early 3rd round stock because of his limitations. Drafting Mark Barron (much less giving up additional picks to achieve that) does not stop us from getting eaten alive by TE's through the air (and we're going into a year where we face Jimmy Graham, Tony Gonzalez, Gresham, a healed Moeaki, and conceivably the road through the conference to the Lombardi leads through Gronknandez).
    • Like Like x 1
  17. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +72 / 10 / -2
    yea mark barron isnt really worth the pcik, he wouldnt fit to well
  18. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Beyond the fact that if Barron is still around at the bottom of the 1st/Top 5 of the 2nd, that increases the odds that someone like Markelle Martin (who does fit us extremely well) lasts until the 17th pick of the 2nd round, where we'll be selection. Harrison Smith may get more attention, but I still think Mayock is projecting his value more of his potential and less off where he currently is as a prospect (not a bad thing to do, and I wouldn't hate Smith, but any team that drafts him is going to have to endure growing pains during his first season if they start him); Mayock also has a lesser track-record with DB prospects that he "loves" unless they're guys like Eric Berry than he does on a number of other positions (need I bring up his man-crush of Shiloh Keo and calling him a guy who could likely start early in his career - and Keo looked lost 80% of the time he was on the field for the Texans last season - in a scheme like Wade's that typically makes DB's look better than they actually are).
    • Like Like x 1
  19. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +72 / 10 / -2
    im not a big fan of drafting a safety high in this draft, no safety is really worth the pick, i much rather address the need short term with stuckey this year and wait to next year for a replacement
  20. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +507 / 13 / -3
    I honestly think Stuckey and McDaniel could be a good combo here in SD.. McDaniel is going to be one of those UDFA steals I'm telling you! Stuckey might get worked in there as well.. I don't think we'll bring back Gregory and we'll go out and sign a guy like Richard Marshall, Bryan Scott, Chris Harris, James Sanders or a Chris Hope to 1 year deals just as a safety net in case these guys flop in camp and pre-season.. Also if Tyvon Branch becomes a possibility we NEED to make a go at him! Like you guys said above next years class of Safeties is MUCH more in depth than this years, but I do think like LBC said that Stephen Gilmore can be a really good safety..

next years class has Ray Ray Armstrong, Robert Lester, TJ McDonald, and even Tony Jefferson who had a SOLID freshman year..
  21. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21
    In the name of TE's dominating our sh1t every week, we need a SS.
  22. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +507 / 13 / -3
    I think we will address that need in FA.. the draft just doesn't have the prospects.. If we can play to our strengths rather than our weaknesses we can beat teams with dominating TE's.. Other defenses come up with schemes to get Gates out of the game so why can't we?

The only way your going to stop Gronk, is having a very good LB with great size, speed, and strength and coverage abilities.. Hernandez can be matched up with a safety or corner..

For example we lost the game in NE this year on stupid mistakes, Tolbert's fumble and Rivers' two forced throws that lead to INT's.. plus NO PASS RUSH on Brady.. we could of easily won that game to be honest..