1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

USA Today:Quirky Giles Bros.

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by rexy2006, Feb 28, 2007.

1. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>A GREAT read, freakin highlarious!:tup:

Welcome to the quirky, zany world of the Brothers Giles

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Updated 2/28/2007 12:20 PM ET By Bob Nightengale, USA TODAY
    PEORIA, Ariz. — San Diego Padres right fielder Brian Giles, in the shower after a morning workout, steps out and screams for his brother.
    "Marcus, Marcus, hurry up and get in here," Brian Giles screams. "Chris is in here."
    Marcus Giles, seven years younger than Brian, yells, "Oh, boy," strips his clothes and is showering within seconds.
    Minutes later, Padres pitcher Chris Young is red-faced and out of the shower, still shaking his head.
    "You get nervous when you see those guys come into the shower," says Young, a Princeton graduate. "Let's put it this way: You definitely don't close your eyes in there, even when you're shampooing.":icon_eek:
    So just what happened in there to make Young flee as if one of the Giles boys pulled a fire alarm?
    "Ah, we just like to shave in there," Brian says, referring to their body hair, not their faces. "Chris, for some reason, thinks it's gross."
    The Giles boys can be, well, a little different.
    Ask him what their father does for a living, Brian deadpans: "He's a pimp." And their mother? "She's a stripper."
    They filmed a series of commercials Monday night that was supposed to last no more than 30 minutes. It took nearly two hours. It began with Marcus, a second baseman, saying it was cool having makeup applied to their faces. ("I haven't done this since I was 5," Marcus says, "back when I wanted to be a girl.") It ended with Brian dropping his pants and jumping on Marcus, with the two giggling uncontrollably until the cameras stopped.
    No wonder the Padres made sure pitcher Jake Peavy filmed his role for the commercial earlier. A year ago, when Brian Giles was in a commercial with Mike Piazza, the scene was never the same after Giles ran out of the bathroom naked and jumped in front of Piazza.:icon_eek:
    "I can't imagine what it's going to be like with two Gileses around this year," says Padres general manager Kevin Towers, who signed Marcus to a one-year, $3.25 million deal in the offseason after the second baseman was cut loose by the Braves following six seasons in Atlanta.
    "I'd be in (former manager Bruce) Bochy's office having a serious meeting and Brian would come in there fully naked, showing his batting stance," the GM says. "He's normal except for the tanning booths, shaving his body and walking around with no clothes.:icon_eek: One Giles is enough. I'm not sure if I can handle two of them."

George Hamilton sans wrinkles
    "Go ahead, we can start the interview now," Marcus Giles says.
    No problem, except Giles is lying sideways on the couch, unable to move. He is wrapped in white adhesive tape, courtesy of pitcher David Wells' son, Lars.
    "It's a little looser in here than Atlanta," says Marcus, knowing that kids aren't even permitted in the clubhouse, let alone music. No wonder Marcus feels as if he got transferred from a military boarding school to a college frat house. He spent a few hours shopping at Nordstrom this week and bought nothing more than T-shirts, hats and six pairs of flip-flops.
    He adds that it was a whole lot cheaper than Brian's tanning treatments. Brian is George Hamilton without the wrinkles, lying naked in the tanning bed whenever possible, and walking around nude to make sure the tan is noticed.
    "That's a sick boy, right there," Padres center fielder Mike Cameron says, shaking his head. "The stuff he does around here, you can't even get in your newspaper. And now there's two of them."
    Let's just say picture day has a different meaning in Padres camp.
    "They're funny lookin' anyway," Padres starter Greg Maddux says, "so they're even funnier when they say something."
    The boys attribute most of their zany humor to their mom, Monica, a housewife, who sat in the news conference announcing Marcus' signing during the winter and said, "This is great; you guys get to shower again together."
    Their dad, Bill, a Coors Light supervisor, has his quirks too. The Giles boys remember the time when Brian was 15, Marcus was 7, and they found themselves in a karaoke contest at a Black Angus restaurant singing, We are Family.
    "I think we won when my mom started dancing," Brian says, "and her left breast fell out."

The escape from Atlanta
    "Hey Brian," Marcus yells.
    "Oh, Brian.
    "B-r-i-a-n!
    "HEY, STUPID!"
    Brian finally turns around.
    "See, he always answers to that," Marcus says.
    "I shouldn't be laughing," Marcus says. "I think he was smarter than me in high school. He had a C-plus average. I was like barely a 2.3. That's a C, isn't it?"
    The boys, born seven years and 118 days apart, never played on the same team together. Marcus, 5-8, 175 pounds, 2 inches shorter and 30 pounds lighter than his brother, wasn't supposed to make the big leagues, let alone play with Brian.
    He was a 53rd-round draft pick out of Grossmont College in El Cajon, Calif., and spent most of five seasons in the minor leagues. And when he finally made the Braves, earning a trip to the 2003 All-Star Game, he became too expensive for them to keep. The Braves didn't want to risk giving Giles a $6 million arbitration award after he hit .262 last season, lowest among his four full seasons, and made him a free agent Dec. 20. Minutes later, his agent, Joe Bick, was on the phone, knowing the Padres needed a second baseman after trading Josh Barfield to Cleveland.
    "It's the only place I wanted to play," says Giles, who turned down a three-year offer from the Tampa Bay Devil Rays and shunned interest from the Boston Red Sox and Texas Rangers. "My whole life I wanted to play with my brother."
    It's only natural, the Padres figure, the two brothers will push one another in a typical sibling rivalry. They say they never fought, or even shoved one another growing up, and were the best man at each other's wedding, but it doesn't mean they're content to be outperformed by the other on the field.
    "They're almost Siamese twins instead of brothers," Hoffman says. "They do everything together. They love to have a good time, but don't let that fool you. When the game starts, they're as competitive as any two guys you'll ever see."
    Brian Giles, who has two daughters from a previous marriage and is engaged ("I'm waiting for the Charger schedule to come out before setting the date," he says):tup: , and Marcus, who has three daughters under the age of 4, are responsible when necessary. They don't want this to be a one-year wonder. They'd like to stay together in San Diego as long as possible.
    Besides, how can you separate them now? They will hit back-to-back in the lineup, Padres manager Bud Black says, somewhere in the top three spots. The back of the jerseys will even read the same: "Giles" with no initials, 24 for Brian and 22 for Marcus.
    "There's no reason to have initials on the back," Marcus says. "Come on, he's almost 50 pounds heavier, throws from the wrong side and bats funny.
    "It's like when I was with the Braves, and Andruw Jones… had A. Jones on his back. Come on dude, if you can't tell the difference between Andruw Jones and Chipper Jones, you got a problem."
    The only problem this year, the Padres will tell you, is trying to keep a straight face, watching two grown men run around naked, snapping towels at one another and daring others to join them in the shower.:icon_eek:
    "It's going to be controlled chaos," Padres pitcher Shawn Estes says. "You talk about competition for shock factor. How is anyone supposed to compete with that? Then again, why would you want to?"
  2. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    If anything (I guess...), it will be a fun year.