1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

USC Pro Day Information

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by AnteaterCharger, Apr 2, 2009.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 19 / -4
    From Todd McShay
    Thought this would be useful considering that there's a question if Malauga is on our radar, I also threw in the other 2 USC LBs

Maualuga -- The drama around Maualuga's workout built throughout the afternoon. He didn't run the 40-yard dash early on with his teammates in order to make sure the hamstring he injured at the combine would hold up throughout position drills. Maualuga had a good-but-not great showing in drills, looking a bit stiff in his coverage drops, but that is to be expected form a middle linebacker his size. He did weigh in under 250 pounds, though, and eased concerns that he might have gained weight while nursing the injury.

It was his 40 that was the most anticipated part of the workout, however, after Maualuga clocked in at 4.91 seconds on his lone attempt at the combine. Maualuga finally ran by himself at the very end of the workout with everyone gathered around and he did not disappoint. His times ranged from 4.59 to 4.71 according to the scouts we talked to, re-affirming his straight-line speed and burst and answering any lingering questions.

The day ended with USC coach Pete Carroll jogging to scouts to get the times, conferring with Maualuga and then turning to the assembled throng and saying, "That's it, guys," as if to tell everyone they had gotten what they came for.

OLBs Brian Cushing and Clay Matthews -- Cushing displayed impressive quickness and explosiveness but showed tightness in his hips during coverage drills. That is a bit of a concern because he came off the field a lot on third down in college and there are questions about whether he will be a three-down linebacker at the next level.

Matthews, on the other hand, was very smooth and showed good ball skills during coverage drills. He is clearly the better of the two when dropping, while Cushing is more effective at the point of attack. Regardless, all three linebackers have high grades and all should be off the board in the first 25 picks.

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    All 3 of these guys have strengths/weaknesses. I'll be interested in seeing how they perform when not supported by each others talent. Maualuga & Cushing are bigger hitters, but Matthews looks very good dropping back - a skill set that we could use desperately at ILB. We have hitters in Cooper, Siler, & Dobbins.

I know that Rey is the popular pick for many SD fans, I'm just not completely sold. And I don't think that Burnett is the total answer as our coverage ILB. He'll hopefully help out. If we trade down & Matthews is there, I'd be happy to see him in a Bolts uni. He's shown that he is a hard worker & he has good bloodlines. There are questions surrounding Cushing's durability & Maualuga's off-field antics.

One thing, IMO, will come out of this draft & the Burnett signing. Matt's days in SD are numbered. :tup: