1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

"Vikings prepared to make offer for Vincent Jackson."

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Sep 15, 2010.

1. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    The only stance he has taken is that he isn't playing on a 1 year contract, and the Chargers stance has been that they will only pay him on a 1 year deal. McNeil has never once publicly said how much money he wants, and has only stated that he will not play on a 1 year contract.
  2. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    That stance is doing NOTHING to improve the team, not this year or in the future. If you want to improve the team now, get these guys in camp. If you want to improve the team for the future, trade them. Sitting in them is just hurting the team
  3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,640 / 38 / -8
    That is stating he is not moving. Right?

Remember what is said to the press is not what goes on behind the scenes.

For my part I understand wanting a long term deal, but I think it is chicken droppings of McNeil to not be on the field showing why he deserves a long term contract.
  4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    The team has invested MILLIONS in these players and they have the right to say "you play for me or not at all". When the players finally gets that message after sitting out one year with no pay or being subsidized with loans from their agents, the dangling carrot that is the low ball offer presented is likely to be signed or they can sit out another year.

Does it help the team ?

Yeah. The next ******** that wants to holdout (which is his right) is NOT going to get a GM who grabs his ankles and says "insert here"
  5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Moving where? What are you talking about? As in, he isn't going to be traded? I never heard that, and if he did, what does that have to do with signing a long term contract? The Chargers have said they want him, but done nothing to show it. Quit with this bullshit one year crap and get the guy locked up. If they are concerned about injuries, put injury clauses in his contract. The Jets did it with D'Brick. There is no valid excuse as to why they aren't working with him other than to try and prove a point, and that is not helping this team
  6. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    The next dick head will just give AJ a big middle finger and say there is no way I want to play for an organization that treats players like ****. This "Precedent' crap you guys keep spouting off about is complete bull ****
  7. BlazingBolt

BlazingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Well to be accurate he said he wouldn't play for the one year offer the Chargers made. Yes he want's a long term contract, but I have to think that if they want him for one year, that if they offered to pay him in line with the upper echelon players at his position, that he would relent and come in. I had this argument with people regarding Vincent Jackson, and then it was reported that sources close to him said he would do exactly that: come in for a realistic one year deal. I have no reason to think McNeil wouldn't because players usually do come in one year deals when they want long term contracts when the money is not way below market value like the Chargers offer.

I hope they get a player that can help us in a trade. I also hope that once they trade Jackson they actually try to get something done with McNeil.
  8. BlazingBolt

BlazingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    When teams are talking contracts with a player, especially in a case like this, it is reported. The media has sources.

If you prefer to imagine, that reports that the sides are not talking are baseless and inaccurate then enjoy your fantasy...just don't try to convince others to go along with it.

I suppose they were trying to sign Jackson too, but it never got reported and people made up the stories about the sides never talking....or is your imagination only about McNeil?
  9. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    You are right. He did say he wouldn't play for 1 year at $3mil. Maybe it would be different if they offered 1 year at $6-7 mil.

The question is, does anyone think AJ will actually back down and make any concessions? To me, he has backed himself into a corner and will look terrible if he makes any concessions at this point. Had he made concessions 2 months ago, things would be very different. But after saying on numerous occasions that only not raise the tender and MM will have to sing for $600k if he wants to play, he will do exactly what he is trying not to do, and will be caving into the player, or at least he will perceive it that way, which is why I don't think he will back down off his stance, nor do I think McNeil will back down off his stance.
  10. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,640 / 38 / -8
    Really? Wow so we know everything that has been said? Is that YOUR fantasy? They offered each a tender, is that not trying to sign them? So what is your sourse, and what does it say as to how often the team and the players have spoken?
  11. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,640 / 38 / -8
    Sorry I thought I was being clear. McNeil stated he will only play given a long term contract. Thus he is saying he is not moving, budging, or negotiating unless those terms are met correct? So what is he and his agents doing to meet in the middle? Or do you fell all concesions and give should be by the team?
  12. seau55

seau55 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Vincent Jackson-WR-Chargers Sep. 16 - 12:22 pm et

The NFL and the NFLPA are engaged in settlement talks that could reduce Vincent Jackson's suspension from six to five or four games if he is traded, per ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Jackson's camp was pushing for his Roster Exempt Status suspension to be thrown out while the league argued that a trade would not affect that status. It appears they will meet somewhere in the middle. If traded, it now sounds like Jackson will be available to play in Week 5 or 6. The Vikings, Rams and Seahawks should start getting their offers in.
    Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
  13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I think both sides need to conceed, but the only concessions McNeil should be making are the normal contractual concessions. He should hold out of a deal longer than 1 year. That doesn't mean the team should pay him what ever he wants, but he never said he wanted a 10 year deal. A long term deal could be a 4 year deal. That is where negotiations come in. He wants X, the team wants to give him Z and they settle on Y, but Y cannot happen as long as the team refuses to discuss a deal other than a 1 year deal. They have to be willing to negotiate if they want McNeil to make concessions
  14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Acee just sent out vai twitter, that an agreement was reached and he will be available week 5 if he is traded
  15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,348 / 19 / -3
    Get his *** out of SD asap!
  16. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +813 / 14 / -3
    I have just the WR that we can draft next year........ [​IMG]
  17. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings Received:
    +606 / 0 / -0
  18. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    According to Adam Scefler:

"Clock is ticking: Chargers have from Friday 4 pm to Wednesday 4 pm to trade Vincent Jackson, with him missing four games. Otherwise, 6 games"

I guess that was part of the agreement.
  19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
  20. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,640 / 38 / -8
    That is my point. Why do you feel the Chargers are not willing to negotiate?

They have given long term deals to players. But not to players sitting home on the couch.
  21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Why? Because AJ said they won't.

Here are some quotes from AJ that back it up.

"‘Play for $3.2 million, and let’s see what happens at the end of the year with us"

"Smith responded that the Chargers wanted him there but that the offer to McNeill would remain at $630,000"

So based on those 2 quotes alone, why would McNeil just assume that the team is willing to negotiate something more than the 1 year tender? The answer, they aren't willing to. Please find me a single quote that makes you think they will, and then we can talk. Until then, we can only go off of what AJ has said publicly, and that is that the offer is $630k and they can wait until after the season to maybe get a new deal.
  22. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +813 / 14 / -3
    Another soft deadline for a Vincent Jackson trade

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 16, 2010 3:01 PM ET
    Vincent Jackson could play in the fifth game of the season if he's traded, but he has to be traded soon for that to happen.

Jason La Canfora of the NFL Network has the entire NFL statement on Jackson's situation, which has a few interesting wrinkles to it.

1. As part of the settlement, a moratorium will be in effect from now until 4 p.m. ET on Friday, September 17. In the meantime, any team interested in Jackson must receive permission from the Chargers before talking contract with Jackson's agents. A trade can't be worked out with the Chargers until the moratorium is over.

2. Jackson is eligible to play in the fifth game of the season if he's traded to a new team if he signs and is traded by 4PM ET on September 22.

3. If Jackson is not traded by 4 p.m. ET on September 22, he will serve the remainder of his three-game suspension and be placed on roster exempt until the day following the third game scheduled after the date he actually reports, regardless of any subsequent trade.

So a trade has to happen between Friday and Wednesday or any interested team loses out on two possible games from Jackson.

The Chargers still have all the control here. They can trade with who they want to. If, say, the Rams offered the highest draft pick to San Diego, then the Chargers may only allow Jackson to talk contract with them. Even if he really wants to go elsewhere.
    Another soft deadline for a Vincent Jackson trade | ProFootballTalk.com
  23. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    praying very hard now that some team finally trades for jackson and gives us a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Otherwise why should we trade him.
  24. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,640 / 38 / -8
    Ok. Remember when Gates held out and AJ said money came off the table? What happened when Gates signed?
  25. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    I guess your right Conc. Should Floyd have a great first 1/4 of the season and become a threat, teams will let off of Gates and we could possibly have the same dynamic passing game. I just really feel that VJ's more physical and seems to have hands of glue.
  26. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    I feel VJ being gone right now hurts. But he didn't have hands of glue. He was a very physical WR, and fought for the ball. That is missing now with Floyd I think. Hope that changes.
  27. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,640 / 38 / -8
    I dont feel it is about being right or wrong. We both want the same thing over all, the Chargers to play well and win. I think someone will step up and fill what ever void we have. I could be wrong. But rarely does one player who is not a QB derail an entire offense. That is all I am saying.
  28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    No, AJ had offered Gates a multi year deal, and told him that he needed to sign EITHER his tender or multi year deal by a certain date, he chose the multi year deal
  29. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    If that is true then why do the players keep signing extensions like Gates, Rivers, Jammer etc etc ? They made those people some of the highest paid at their positions.

And the "precedent" is something apparently way way over your head. Think like a manager if that is possible which apparently you have not been in that position.
  30. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,640 / 38 / -8
    No, AJ said on 1090 money was comming off of the table. When he signed the money was right there. It was a tool he used before, each time the moeny is theree.

We only hear what each side wants us to hear.

They did the same thing with Rivers on his initial contract. Come on guys, if you are going to follow the Chargers remember our history!
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=1855828