1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Vinny Castilla Released

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by rexy2006, Jul 19, 2006.

1. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    per radio 1090 at 11:45am today

Belldork and the Blummer to split time.

The Padres are going to have to eat about half of his $3.2 million dollar contract, plus pay the Nationals $700,000 when they don't pick up Blaw's option.

I applaud this move. When can they let EY go? When BJ comes back, heres hopin EY goes bye-bye...cause BJ is a STUD.

The trade rumors for a third baseman are flying. Here's some info:

'Houston's Morgan Ensberg has been added to the list of third baseman the Padres are evaluating for a possible trade', says the San Diego Union-Tribune, July 18, 2006.
  2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Unless whomever is acquired issa Scott Rolen type, Pads fans are not gonna be happy, so it doesn't matter who they get.

And EY's hereta stay...bank it.
  3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Why did they boot him to the curb?
  4. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    Notes: Pads react to Castilla's release
    07/19/2006 3:54 PM ET By Lyle Spencer / MLB.com

SAN DIEGO -- News of veteran third baseman Vinny Castilla getting released by the Padres hit teammates hard on Wednesday as they were getting ready to face the Phillies at PETCO Park.
    "He's an absolute class guy, the ultimate pro," closer Trevor Hoffman said. "Those are the guys you don't like to lose -- substance guys. He's just a good dude. It's the part of the game that's not fun."
    Castilla, whose spot on the roster was taken by Wednesday's starter, Mike Thompson, gave the Padres solid defense at third and a positive, supportive clubhouse presence. But his bat, which had produced 315 homers and 1,078 RBIs along with a .278 average before his arrival, never came alive. Castilla is batting .232 with four homers and 23 RBIs in 72 games, with 254 at-bats.
    "It was hard, after the career he's had, seeing him go through it," Hoffman said of his former rival, whose prime seasons were spent with the Rockies. "He was pressing, wanting to do anything he could for the club. Whether he was in a pinch-hitting role, playing defense, whatever you needed, he kept a great attitude. He's a team player."
    Castilla was close with first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, who is enjoying a breakout season (.287, 18 homers, 49 RBIs through Tuesday) in part because of the steady, uplifting counsel and advice from the other half of what manager Bruce Bochy liked to call his "Mexican connection."
    "The strength he had for him ... he was like a grandfather figure for Adrian, a calming influence for him," Bochy said of Castilla, who turned 39 on July 4. "I talked to Adrian; he understands."
    Castilla also was understanding of the Padres' decision, Bochy said, as difficult as it was to accept. The club will go with Mark Bellhorn and Geoff Blum at third -- each had 14 starts there through Tuesday -- as speculation continues to swirl that a deal involving a third baseman will be made by the July 31 trade deadline.
    "Vinny enjoyed his time here," Bochy said. "Vinny could see something [was] happening through the media, the talk about trying to get more production out of third base. He's been through it before at Tampa [in 2001]. He came out of that and put together a few good years."
    Bochy broke the news to Castilla after Tuesday night's game. Castilla is expected to clear waivers on Friday, at which time he becomes a complete free agent. "It doesn't get more difficult than that [breaking the news], the respect you have for Vinny, who he has, the career he's had," Bochy said. "It's been a pleasure and an honor to manage him."
  5. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6

Miguel Cabrera, from the Marlins would be nice. But I do not know if he is even available.
  6. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    He would cost us a Scott Linebrink. They had better NOT do that.

Besides, i dont think hes avaialble.

The latest rampaging rumor is Shea Hillenbrand who just got released by the Blue Jays. Word is he is a clubhouse cancer of sorts once he gets pizzzed. And he got pizzed cause he and his wife adopted a child and the front office said nada. So, Shea got his panties in a twist and started whining to EVERYBODY.

Now, he got his walking papers. I really dont want him.
  7. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    Castilla was a bad move when they got him. Dude cant hit outside of Coors field.

I dont see Eric Young being an upgrade at 3rd base if that is who you mean by EY.

Id like to see them trade for somebody too.

BTW.....Is Sean Burroughs in the Rays minor league system? I havent noticed his name in their lineup at all.
  8. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    On June 30, Sean was outrighted to the Durham Bulls and placed on the DL.

I am hoping when BJ comes back very soon, that they release EY.

Ken Rosenthal says the Pads are after Adrian Beltre!Too much $$$$$ for what he would bring.

There are Hillenbrand/ Crede rumors runnin wild.
    Supposedly, Bochy said on 1090 this am that the Pads are getting a 3rd baseman in the next few days...
  9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,448 / 19 / -4
    Wonder if we're going to get Hillenbrand
    I just found out about the releasing of Vinny, I think its rather dumb but we will have to see
  10. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    Possible replacements include Shea Hillenbrand, Aramis Ramierez, Morgan Ensberg, Mike Lowell, Joe Crede, Josh Fields, Bill Hall and Adrian Beltre
  11. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    i'm glad they released Vinny....but my mind will change if they replace him with Hillenbrand.

slightly better bat with a crap glove. I'd rather have Vinny's good glove/no-bat than Shea's decent bat/stone glove.
  12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,448 / 19 / -4

Ensberg NO
    Lowell Could be good
    Beltre Overpaid and worthless
    Ramirez YES PLEASE
    Shea Don't think so
    hillenbrand Most likely case
  13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    I'd take Beltre over Lowell and i'd take Ensberg over both of them.

Aramis would be the one of that group i'd like.

I'd rather stick with Blum/Bellhorn than pick up Shea.

And Shea's not as much of a "most likely choice" as you might think as he has clubhouse "cancer" issues it seems.

I'm thinking the Beltre article might be a Kevin Towers smokescreen.
  14. Boltjolt

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    F- Beltre. The guy had his one magic season, got his riches and is back to being mediocre and costs way too much for being average again. No Thanks to that guy.

Who is BJ?

I wouldnt mind Hillenbrand . He has a good stick but why is he shipped around so much? Something is up with tha guy.

Id say no way Boston lets Lowell go unless that idiot Towers gives them a kings ransom.

Wouldnt mind Ramirez either. Got to get somebody...guys we have cant cut it. Bellhorn has NO stick.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    I would imagine a trade for Beltre would include Seattle footing a portion of his salary...hopefully a large portion.

BJ = Ben Johnson

Hillendbrand is decent with the bat, but has a stone glove at third...i'd rather have Vinny back to be quite honest.

Lowell is a notorious 2nd half nose diver who I also don't want on this team, but the rumor of Boston trading him is originating from Boston. I don't think that Kevin "I engineered the trade for Adrian Gonzalez and Chris Young so don't call me an idiot" Towers won't give up too much for him...but if he did I'd want to shoot him.

Ramierez would probably cost near a king's ransom....but he might be worth it.
  16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    oh yeah, I forgot to include Bill Hall, Joe Crede, and Josh Fields in my list of possible replacements...editing the initial post.
  17. Boltjolt

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    I just dont want him.
  18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    he's not my top choice either...not even near the top now that I remembered some of the other possibilities...just pointing out that the salary portion of it might not be an issue.