1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

VJ's Last Day As A Charger!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Mar 12, 2012.

1. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +85 / 0 / -1
    I wouldn't be surprised...........:(

2. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +85 / 0 / -1
    Like AJ would get fired...... Please stop talking nonsense. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  3. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127 / 35 / -5
    Well, we are the cream of the crap!!!

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,559 / 7 / -2
    This is true. No one shed a tear. Total hindsight situation.

5. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    And my point being that how many of the last 10 or so Super Bowl champions went out there and made big splashes on the first day (or even for where we're at right now, the early hours of the first day of free agency) with any consistency? Or for that matter how have the teams that have gone and made those blockbuster signings done in terms of pursuit of a championship?

Washington dumped a steaming pile of crap on their heads with the Haynesworth signing... and the DeAngelo Hall signing, and are currently mired in mediocrity at best.

Miami signed Dansby... and have had progressively worse records each season ever since.

Philadelphia went hog wild in free agency last season, was everyone and their mother's preseason favorite in the NFC, and promptly fell flat on their faces.

The Jets have fallen on their faces with a number of guys: Bart Scott, Calvin Pace, Santonio Holmes.

The best case anyone has right now is Houston with Jonathan Joseph last season (in an offseason where Houston had very few of it's own FA's to worry about retaining because of a defensive system change) and the Bears with Julius Peppers - though neither of those teams have yet to make it past a conference championship game since those signings.

I'm not denying that our primary focus should be on retaining our own that are worth retaining - but not at the expense of overvaluing them in terms of what kind of pay-grade they're worth and unfortunately, we've had a run of a number of players who feed us the lip-service of "wanting to remain a Charger" while also emphatically stating that they want to test the market. The problem is that very few of these players actually have the integrity of the Kris Dielman's, Eric Weddle's, and Nick Hardwick's of this world - where when they say that if they're reasonably compensated they would (and have) love nothing more than to remain in San Diego. You've then got your Vincent Jackson's (likely at least), Kevin Burnett's, Jared Gaither's, just to name the recent ones who "I want to test the market" means to them that "I want the maximum contract I can get from whoever will give it to me (though I'll tell you what you want to hear to stay popular)." Overpaying just to keep the guys in the fold is a flat out dumb practice - ironically it was what I figured AJ was more apt to do considering I figured he was going to view himself as being on borrowed time.

In a strange way, it's not substantial but it does exist, I've actually gained some additional respect for AJ for NOT mortgaging the future to pay for the present and just issuing blank checks out of desperation.

6. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +85 / 0 / -1
    Very true. He hadn't done much until last year.

7. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    It was more a figure of speech, where perhaps "home team" discount might have been appropriate. Colston is actually from Harrisburg, PA. But it's still fairly obvious that he has a certain appreciation and sense of loyalty for the scheme in which he's been able to function so well, the QB that has allowed him to do so, and the team that took a chance on him as a UDFA out of a school a number of NFL probably didn't even know existed.

My point is that he's one of those guys that "gets it" and sees the team as something bigger than himself, as opposed to guys like VJ (who has given us more than enough evidence to label him a "give me"/take-take-take player) who are more concerned with what the team can provide for them.

8. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +85 / 0 / -1
    Hey, I didn't say you were totally wrong. I did say i'm a frustrated fan. I was hoping for a little ray of sunshine, to drive away the blues from yet another disappointing season. And I also hate seeing a talent like VJ go. Losing Tolbert won't make me happy either.

9. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Mecham maybe; I think Gonzales could could also be nice in the slot. Well it's looking like no more #1 wr on this squad.
    Time to put on another spare tire; another spare to hold over just like what we have as NT / DE / ILB / OLB / CB / SS / RG/ RT / LG/ FB / K / KR / PR... AWESOME!

10. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +522 / 13 / -3
    http://www.nfl.com/player/anthonygonzalez/2495612/careerstats

5 receptions the last 3 years in 11 games.. no thanks..

11. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127 / 35 / -5
  12. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,215 / 37 / -21
  13. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
    Vincent Jackson deal in Tampa: 5 yrs, $55.55 million, including $26 million guaranteed, $36 million in 1st 3 yrs, $26 million in 1st 2 yrs.

14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,215 / 37 / -21
    Is Schefter aware that 36 + 26 does not equal 55.55?

15. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +522 / 13 / -3
    ridiculous amount of money right there for VJ - See ya later buddy.. Bucs will slowly see he wasn't worth that investment

• Like Like x 2
  16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,215 / 37 / -21
    5 for 55 is 11M a year, its a fair deal for a #1 WR in today's NFL. I can't imagine the Chargers offer was much less, probably 4 for 40.

17. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814 / 14 / -3

Posted by Mike Florio on March 13, 2012, 8:29 PM EDT

AP
    As expected, the Buccaneers have agreed to terms with receiver Vincent Jackson, according to a source with knowledge of the deal.
    It’s a five-year deal worth a grand total of $55,555,555.
    He gets $26 million fully guaranteed, via a $2 million roster bonus in 2012 and a fully-guaranteed $11 million base salary in 2012. For 2013, he gets a $13 million base salary, fully guaranteed.
    The last three years aren’t fully guaranteed, with a $10 million base salary in 2014, a base salary of $9,777,777 in 2015, and a base salary of $9,777,778 in 2016.

18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,215 / 37 / -21
    Great deal for the Bucs. It helps when you have 40+M in cap space.

19. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +522 / 13 / -3
    $26M guaranteed..? - yes i think so.. VJ is worth a 4 year deal tops.. 5 is pushing it.. Really don't see him in Tampa for that long..

20. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    UTKevinAcee @UTKevinAcee
    Team wasn't willing to come close to the $11.1 million per year VJ got from Tampa ... So, as one team official just said, "He's moving on."

21. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +522 / 13 / -3
    Josh Freeman throwing him the ball as well? - Have fun..

22. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,215 / 37 / -21
    He'll be 34 when the deal is over, and the last 3 years are not guaranteed, so the Bucs have full flexibility to release or trade him.

It was a brilliant deal.

23. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,303 / 12 / -5
    Note that he said "$36 million in 1st 3 yrs, $26 million in 1st 2 yrs". So in the first 2 years, he gets $26 million, over the 1st 3 years, he gets a total of $36 million. Odd way to say it, yes.

For that kind of money, "Go with God (or whoever you pray to)".

24. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,870 / 48 / -26
    And so the backsliding has begun........ the revolving talent door that is the Chargers franchise.

• Like Like x 1
  25. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +522 / 13 / -3
    haven't gotten details so that is actually a good deal for them, good for them.. His most productive years will most likely be his first 2 years..

26. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +829 / 22 / -1
    If V.J. is a bust in Tampa, will those same guys say anything about the Chargers being smart about not keeping him?

• Like Like x 1
  27. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    UTKevinAcee @UTKevinAcee
    Vincent Jackson gets $2 million roster bonus and $11 mil salary in 2012 and $13 million fully guaranteed base salary next year from Tampa.

28. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814 / 14 / -3
  29. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +522 / 13 / -3
    Laurent Robinson - Most likely back in Dallas or Jacksonville, certainly isn't a #1 receiver
    Robert Meachem - Only team interested is Buffalo, but I don't see potential of him being a #1 receiver
    Eddie Royal - Deal is almost done in Washington, unless something drastically goes wrong don't see him back in the market
    Reggie Wayne - Don't see him in SD, think Miami is a landing spot for him
    Braylon Edwards - Either the Jets are bringing him back or he'll be on the market. Don't mind a 1-2 year deal with him as long as he comes with the right price could excel in this offense. He produced with some QB's no where in Rivers' league.
    Mike Wallace - Unless we are planning on giving up a 1st rounder and having to tie the guy up long term don't see this happening either by a long shot.

Looks like we'll look into the draft this year, hopeful of Brown to produce and develop a caliber receivers in 2013.

30. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +430 / 8 / -0
    Vincent who?