1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Weddle says NO to the Vikings, re-signs with Bolts!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jul 27, 2011.

1. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    Look who posted, all arguments are invalid.
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,689 / 39 / -8
    Weddle was being courted by the Vikings, who reportedly had offered him a deal. Jacksonville, Houston, Indianapolis, and others were attempting to fit him into their team.

Eric was thinking he was heading to the Vikings when the Chargers called.

Perspective people, knowledge is a good thing...

So all you who think we over paid and he is a mediocre player, I guess all those other teams are blind too...
  3. bigmike.x.09

Ratings Received:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    Give me some names that were legitimate possibilities. It wasn't out of the budget because we didn't use it on a rookie. He got what he would have gotten plus a little more because we had the money.
  4. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    Are you saying he is NOT the Sword of Truth!? :eek:
  5. bigmike.x.09

Ratings Received:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    In short, HELL no.
  6. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,689 / 39 / -8
    Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith on Weddle:
    “We think (he’s) going to be swinging upward tremendously. … I’ve seen the growth from year to year, and particularly in the 2010 season. I think he’s going to get smarter, more instinctive, and it grows over time. On top of that, it’s part of the package of the entire defense.”​
  7. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp Jesus gives wisdom if you pray for it! Banned

Ratings Received:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    1 Team wins the SB each year. That team last year had the #1 D.

How many people know everything? How many people are wise and see clearly and are almost always right? I won my 1st chess championship in 4th grade. Back then i came up with a black opening (defensive side on the chess board for those who don't play) that to this day is now used and copied.) What is my point? Did i know way back then that I was the only one in the whole world that used and understood it- no. As a top ranked player online, with winning record over every player i have played, I still use it often on the black side and laugh. I take breaks from chess because i get bored and it takes a lot energy to do other things. some day I might write a book on my strats that no-one seems to understand if I feel like it.

In summary I don't go with what the majority think about things. To this day I have never copied anyone else s openings. I study known one's just to find there weakness though. Mine are copied though more than anyone else s. I go with what I see clearly, knowing no-one else understands and might not ever. I respect others opinions as i understand there's. To this day I have at least 3 things in chess no-one else in the world seems to understand. Am i right? dunno but online I'm top ranked chess player so, I believe my opinion based on my systems i create verify my thoughts.

Go on....someone tell my why Weddle is worth #1 money, I am not in the know all on him. I see things from my dream D vision and don't see him that valuable based games watched and what I believe would be the best players in said positions to be the best D ever. Remember ppl I'm overconfident based on being #1 in so many competitions and being so far ahead of my completion tactically I cannot even relate to most ppl sadly. So take what I say as unrealistic possibly :) I come to help this team if they ever ask simply.

I did say I did not know if other teams where willing to pay him much. Even so I would not have cared. I have tunnel vision on what we need to be #1. The money we spent could have been used to force in some proven top players. We have best weather and players would love to play for us if we let it be know we were building the best D ever assembled with my D schemes.
  8. bigmike.x.09

Ratings Received:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    Tell me why he isn't and who you would rather have that wouldn't cost more than him.
  9. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,689 / 39 / -8
    Weddle/Polamalu comparison

Total Tackles, Weddle 96, Polamalu 63
    Solo Tackles, Weddle 80, Polamalu 49
    Ints, Weddle 2, Polamalu 7
    Pass Def, Weddle 10, Polamalu 11
    FF, Weddle 0, Polamalu 1
    Sacks, Weddle 1, Polamalu 1
    TDs, Weddle 0, Polamalu 1

Seems pretty even to me... What am I missing?

Season Averages: Weddle 4 years, Polamalu 8 years
    Total Tackles, Weddle 89.5, Polamalu 64.4
    Solo Tackles, Weddle 73.8, Polamalu 49.1
    Ints, Weddle 1.5, Polamalu 3.4
    Pass Def, Weddle 7, Polamalu 8.9
    FF, Weddle 0, Polamalu 1
    Sacks, Weddle 1, Polamalu 1
    TDs, Weddle .5, Polamalu .25

I would argue that Weddle is on par with Polamalu and in some ways performing to a superior level. So why the Weddle hate and Polamalu love?
  10. reddenedbeard

Ratings Received:
    +112 / 0 / -0
  11. bigmike.x.09

Ratings Received:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    Weddle scored against Indy last season. But that's irrelevant. Polamalu gets more love because he's a big name in the league. Weddle is an up and coming DB, of course he gets no love. Also, he's from San Diego. Philip Rivers doesn't even get love, why would Weddle?
  12. reddenedbeard

Ratings Received:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    Maybe if Weddle grew is hair out? :D
  13. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings Received:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Polamalu has *superstar close speed. Meaning he can play off a player 10 yards and then int the ball. Weddle cannot. This is by far the biggest point. Also have you seen how fast he can close off a sweep run and turn it into a -3 yard loss that a huge value. Weddle might make a solid tackle at or near the LOS, but so can 9/10 other safeties.

Now look at his liabilities. Weddle does not out jump anyone for the ball in the air. He cannot lock down a WR like Troy does. Weddle is just an average safety to me who makes solid tackles and reliable at it. He does NOT overpower players or cause fumbles from bone crushing hits like I would want my players. He won't win games for a team. Your safety needs to be your superstar that everyone hopes wins a game for you.

Also realize how many times we blitzed last year and how many times the ball was up in the air floating around and how many int's he should have had TBH.

Have you ever seen the Troy video where he rushes the LOS jumps over the lineman and crushed the RB in the back-field to win the game for the Steelers?
  14. bigmike.x.09

Ratings Received:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    Well shiit, Dirk Nowitzki isn't as fast as LeBron Jame, as strong as LeBron, nor can he jump like LeBron, that means Dirk is clearly never going to win a world championship or be an MVP or be a great player right? :rolleyes:
  15. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,689 / 39 / -8
    Speed must be the key. That is why 'slow' receivers like Jerry Rice never amounted to anything in the NFL...
  16. bigmike.x.09

Ratings Received:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    Hey cool guy, you realize this isn't Madden right?
  17. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings Received:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Basket ball is a tall mans sport. If i was 7' tall and had a unstoppable shot because of my high'th advantage wouldn't i be expected to be the best b-b player every year?

This football played on a huge field where mobility and speed is #1. Size in football is not #1. Speed, jump ability, toughness & instincts and then if u have average size you could be #1.
    Weddle has only 2 out of my 5 i would want. Yet he gets #1 $? Seems like a bad joke to me. I'm saddened over this TBH.
  18. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,689 / 39 / -8
    We have established that what you want scratches the surface of what makes a good player. That was clarified last season. Do try and read what is posted and broaden your knowledge of the game, and players.
  19. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,689 / 39 / -8
    Really? That is why Troy is only 1.9 ahead of Eric in pass defensed?

C'mon... Go to www.google.com and research before you post...
  20. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings Received:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I think many people are not realizing Dirk B-b team is stacked with great players. He did nothing until last year 2 D all-star players where signed. Mavericks won the title on D not on their offense. Just like us. We have had a great offense for years at the top year after year. So if we do like they did and sign all-star D proven players, like they did then we could follow in their glory of becoming #1. Then you could say how great our QB Rivers is, yet with-out a #1 D will he ever get there like dirk?

I like Weddle as a tough player. I simply think we overpaid which will hurt our team. The money lost will hurt us. EVERYTHING MATTERS. I teach this every day. Just like if u under pay a player and they feel hurt and want out and don't give 100% for your team anymore.

Just like your opinion matters and I read your posts and take the time to try and understand your view.
  21. bigmike.x.09

Ratings Received:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    Yes, that is why 5'9 guys can't do this in basketball either right?

[​IMG]

And 5'7 guys can't do this right?

[​IMG]

My point is, every player has their skill set. If he was really all that terrible would he still be a professional football player? Apparently speed hasn't handicapped Weddle from putting up numbers similar to that of Polamalu.
  22. bigmike.x.09

Ratings Received:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    You're a jackass. The Mavericks were most definitely NOT stacked. Their opponent in the Finals were the stacked team and look where that got them.
  23. reddenedbeard

Ratings Received:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    SD did have a top defense last year.

This is like arguing with my 7 year old.
  24. bigmike.x.09

Ratings Received:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  25. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings Received:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    There is no argument people. I posted my opinion. I have not disagreed with anyone as far as I know. If you feel I have quoted you and argued with you, let me know and i will apologize. Maybe I expect too much from my type of players. I have always expected people to be great. From day 1 I ask people if they are willing to be great or if they have greatness in them? I love it when they say yes. If I met Weddle and asked him to his face and he said yes, then I would start to love him. Then I would test him with opportunities to blitz and cover man to man in schemes and see how he did. So I have only judged him based on what I have seen from afar in a defensive scheme I do not like.

I might not play Erik Weddle as a safety. I would consider using him as a SS. If he is amazing I would look to sign a pro bowl proven safety still. Then using Sanders as my X factor position and all could be well in my DREAM D.
  26. bigmike.x.09

Ratings Received:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]
  27. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,703 / 45 / -26
    'Nuff said. ;)
  28. Lightning_Dynasty

Lightning_Dynasty Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +288 / 7 / -1
    I'm calling BS here. I've been a Mavs fan longer than I've been a Chargers fan. Dirk has done great every single season. Those "All Star" D players nobody gave any credit to because they were hurt and old. Nobody but Mavs fans gave them any credit until they swept LA. We all knew this was a different team from the moment they won the last two games against Portland.
    You obviously did not watch any of the playoffs, otherwise you would know that their D did not win them those games.
    In fact their D was so bad at times that it got them down by a lot at times, or gave up 23 point leads. When it came down to it, it was their amazing Offense that lead comeback after comeback. It was Jet sinking 3 after 3. It was JJ Barea (who is in no way a tall man)speeding his way to the basket and then putting the ball over guys 2 feet taller than him. It was Dirk and his constant practicing that developed his amazing shot, that up until the final game against Miami never seemed to miss. Then it was his inability to miss a free throw.
    It was J Kidd's leadership and ball movement. Chandler's D. Matrix's shot.
    Everything on team came together to allow them to win.

So many factors contributed to the Mavs win. But Dirk is the only superstar player on that team. He is not stacked with great players. He is stacked with good players, who make themselves great through the team. The team was great thanks to the efforts of everyone involved.

If you had watched the finals at all you would have known that it was the team stacked with great players that lost.
    /Rant

Sorry, but where I've been a Bolts fan for 10 years, I've been a Mavs for 15. Basketball will always be my first love, despite the fact that I enjoy football a lot more these days.
  29. bigmike.x.09

Ratings Received:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]
  30. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings Received:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I'm not a b-b fan know that. (I do love the Lakers and their D philosophy 1st coaching style) I simply look at the facts. The only 3 things changed on the Mavericks glory #1 year! 2 were player changes by picking up 2 past all-star DEFENSIVE b-b players. Lastly 1 HC said he decided to focus on D as well. So it could be said they took a total commitment from all their players and coaching staff to focus on D to become #1. I'm saying we need to do the same thing. I even offered to provide mathematical evidence to prove this is how you become #1 in football as well. Dirk at 7' tall is an imposing player on the D side combined with having an unstoppable shot. Dirk without that D effort as a team organization would have never gotten his rewards that he will now reap with becoming #1.

I win titles #1 in the world so many times its cool, yet every time it was with having a superior system and running it to near perfection, with great communication. Every event you study your opponents and figure out how to stop them then and only then you move on to offense in my opinion. I have offered to give my system to the Chargers if they ever contact me, as I know I could give them a huge advantage with what I know.